PDA

View Full Version : Long Day!

murrieta angler
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Arrived at Ocean Beach at 6:30 a.m. only to find a bunch of signs that said, " Keep out of the water, contaminated!", along with huge piles of kelp all along th beach. I was a little bummed but I think this will be a good spot to head back to...:Secret:
I decided to hit up Torrey Pines State Beach and see how it was over there. I made the mistake of taking surface streets, completely forgetting that there is a tournament going on right now. So it took me almost an hour to travel over there...:Angry:
When I arrived, I took one look at the water and it was all brown from the shore to a hundred yards out. Since I was there and I hadn't fished yet I decided to give it a try. No Luck! After an hour and a half I called it quits and headed North to Del Mar.
When I drove up I saw that the water was a little clearer, but all kinds of junk in it. I gave it a shot by the dog park over there, but nothing again. I hopped over to the other side of the road, by the lagoon, and gave it a shot over there also...you guessed it, NOTHING!:Sad:
I was getting a little discouraged cause it was already 12:30 and I had nothing to show for the day except an empty box of Girl Scout cookies...:LOL: I decided to hit up one more beach and then call it quits.
My last stop was Carlsbad State Beach. Upon arrival the tide was quickly moving out, as low tide was at 2:49 at a -2. I started out throwing a Carolina Rig with 1/2oz lead and a #4 long shank hook. I was using a 1 1/2" lunker grubb in motor oil for the bait.
Cast after cast I was rewarded with nothing but a bunch of eel grass. After an hour I did get bit really hard but nothing to show for it. I decided to switch up to a new LC110 in Metalllic Sardine and try my luck in the same area. After a dozen or so casts I get hit and I think it's on...but it's not! :Confused:
I don't know what happened, but I lost the fish. When I reeled in the LC it had 2 huge teeth marks in it and I was really bummed...:mad: I decided to call it quits for the day around 4:30.
Just when I was getting ready to leave DFG came up to me and said that the fishing there had been really slow for the last 2 weeks. He also said he tried last weekend and got skunked also in the same place...:Cool:
I decided to look around and take some pictures up the beach a little.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/carlsbad4.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/carlsbad1.jpg

The first picture is an area where I will try later on this winter, when the weather clears up a little.
The second shot is just a shot of the sun going down caused I liked it.

I had talked with a young man, named Carlos, for a little and he said he fishes there all the time and that if I wanted some small Calico to try the lagoon. I told him no thanks, that I was fished out. He saw my 2 rods and asked what I was using, I told him and then gave him some of the lunker grubbs. Told him Good Luck and we went our seperate ways.
I walked back to my trunk, threw in my stuff and decided to try the surf 1 more time. I put my LC110 in Zebra Sardine on this time and first cast out, bamm, I get bit again. I start to reel in and it feels like there is nothing there, when all of a sudden this little 3" perch is attached to my 4 1/2" crank bait...:Big Grin:
Sorry no picture, but I wasn't expecting a bite and I didn't want to walk the 100 yards back to my truck and kill the fish. I released the little guy to fight another day!
There were 2 young ladies there and they were impressed with the fish though....:Razz:
They had asked if I was going to eat it...:ROFL:

I wasn't going to put this picture in cause I hadn't noticed that my LC was in the picture till I down loaded it. Then I thought, " WHY NOT".

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/carlsbad2.jpg

Thanks for the read and Good Luck Out There!!

sansou
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Nice pics. You'll get'em next time.

Should have tried either of the bays or Elijos. Always something or the other biting in there...

fisherman from long beach
01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
to bad about your fishing day,i had kinda the same day,was supposed to go out on the boat but had engine trouble,so i ended up down in nph and only got one spottie ,i guess thats the way it goes some days.

Wingnut
01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
The two teeth marks left on your lure probably came from the elusive "Vampire Halibut". :Wink: :Twisted:
A lonely Perch has saved plenty of Skunk days for me... :LOL:
I'll probably try to pop out there somewhere tomorrow to see what I can scratch up in the surf... if not, at least I can enjoy a nice day like you did today. :Cool:

Fishbones
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Dont worry robert hes there getting fatter for you..thanks for the great report and pics....

DockRat
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
A for effort! Nice surf pics.

There were 2 young ladies there and they were impressed !

I'm calling BS on the ladies without pics!
DR :Bawling: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/nhstud1216/smilie/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Santa Fe Eric
01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I understand! Some days fishing is fun in an of itself. But, there are other days where you really have a need to set the hook!
Sorry you didn't get a good hookset on this trip. Good luck next time,

greygrizz
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey Murrieta Angler nice pics and looks like nice day. Next time you are in Carlsbad give it a shot at power plant,on the south side. Take care keep the drag screeming.

cjmedina
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
hey that young man carlos is me. it was nice to meet you dude thanks for the plastics. didnt get to use them yet. i did get a chance to head out on that boat i was telling you about, check the general salt water reports for the adventure.

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice pics. You'll get'em next time.

Should have tried either of the bays or Elijos. Always something or the other biting in there...

Those spots will be tested this year. Thanks for the info.

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 05:56 PM
to bad about your fishing day,i had kinda the same day,was supposed to go out on the boat but had engine trouble,so i ended up down in nph and only got one spottie ,i guess thats the way it goes some days.

Hey!!
I haven't forgotten about our lobster trip!!! When the weather clears up a bit we'll tear it up!

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
The two teeth marks left on your lure probably came from the elusive "Vampire Halibut". :Wink: :Twisted:
A lonely Perch has saved plenty of Skunk days for me... :LOL:
I'll probably try to pop out there somewhere tomorrow to see what I can scratch up in the surf... if not, at least I can enjoy a nice day like you did today. :Cool:

Hey Arthur,
I wasn't aware of the "Vampire Halibut"...Do they migrate from the Black Sea?!? LOL

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Dont worry robert hes there getting fatter for you..thanks for the great report and pics....

No worries, I had a nice day at the beach!!

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
A for effort! Nice surf pics.

I'm calling BS on the ladies without pics!
DR :Bawling: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/nhstud1216/smilie/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Out of respect for my wife, I don't take pictures of other ladies.

But I'll make an exception for you next time DR......hehe

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
I understand! Some days fishing is fun in an of itself. But, there are other days where you really have a need to set the hook!
Sorry you didn't get a good hookset on this trip. Good luck next time,

Thanks Eric,
I know I'll get something in the bigger range next time. I did a little shopping today at Sports Chalet for some fish candy. I'll see how it works this coming weekend.

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Murrieta Angler nice pics and looks like nice day. Next time you are in Carlsbad give it a shot at power plant,on the south side. Take care keep the drag screeming.

I will definately try the South side next time i'm in carlsbad. Thanks!

murrieta angler
01-31-2010, 06:05 PM
hey that young man carlos is me. it was nice to meet you dude thanks for the plastics. didnt get to use them yet. i did get a chance to head out on that boat i was telling you about, check the general salt water reports for the adventure.

Check That!!

DockRat
02-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Out of respect for my wife, I don't take pictures of other ladies.
But I'll make an exception for you next time DR......hehe

I have the same problem except the 'respect' part.
I don't take pics of gals so I don't get my A s s kicked by her.:Nut Kick:
Yah I know, 'Women' They sure mess it up for grown men that like to act like kids.

Thanks for exception next time :High Five:
DR

fisherman from long beach
02-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Hey!!
I haven't forgotten about our lobster trip!!! When the weather clears up a bit we'll tear it up!

no worries.when ever you got the time.

victor101
02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Persistence pays off....keep at it, you will have an epic day on the water soon.

murrieta angler
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Persistence pays off....keep at it, you will have an epic day on the water soon.

I just saw this. Thanks Victor