PDA

View Full Version : trount Jig Rod for a float tube?

mytyt
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
what length rod should I use for fishing trout jigs and worms from my tube? If it's to long It can be hard to land fish or tread the guide right. Look at the Compre or Spinmatic because of my thin wallet. The Compre seems lighter with a more better tip. Is 7ft ok? What about the Basspro Micro lights. Anyone fish Feather or Hair jigs for trout?

AngryAgent
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I use my standard rods in my tube. The biggest rod I use is an 8'er. It can be hard to tie new jigs on when you break off or just need to change color but I prefer the action that I get out of my true jig sticks. Landing fish is easy enough, your hardest task is going to be to rety after you break off. Good luck.

vanillagurilla
01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
as far as length goes, sit in your tube with any rod and try to reach the rod tip. its very frustrating being stuck on the water and you cant reach the tangle on the tip of the rod lol. dont ask me how i know.

mytyt
01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
As far as length goes I don't have a problem touching the tip except when I'm in my tube. I meant the rod tip.

calico killer kevin
01-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I have that problem in my yak. Mot bad, but is a problem. I don't like rods over 7'6" though.

The Compre is much faster action that the Spinmatic. I love the crisp, fast action Compres and for the money, can't be beat.

the killa
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I fish a 6'6 one piece Phenix rod for the bait and wait set-up in the rod holder, then i fish either a 8ft or 8'' Phenix twon piece rod. I never have a hard time dealing with changing the jiggs or rebaiting. Just make sure you have enough slack in the line that it can basically lay in your lap.