PDA

View Full Version : mt whitney..goldens?

aboos
07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
MORE PICS...CHECK PAGE 3

my brother and his boy scout troop went on long term hike up to mt whitney and caught these. they look like goldens..but are they? i thought goldens were like 10 inchers or so.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/mrabstract/pt.jpg

mammothcracker
07-09-2007, 11:11 PM
You have yourself a very nice Golden there, aboos! :o

one_leg
07-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I'd like to know more about the fish, and how and where it was caught.

One_Leg

sierraslam
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
That's a hell of Golden Trout there! I'd like to know where it was caught. I saw a picture in mammoth of a 5-6 pound Golden. That fish in the picture is a fish of life time. good fishin!

rusty6
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
that isnt any hybrid, that looks like pure golden...that is one hell of a fish right there

*eat*
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
NOW THAT IS A TROPHY GOLDEN TROUT! Very rare & special catch, hope you released that beautiful fish.

Have a good one!

*eat*

halijedi
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
That is BEAUTIFUL!

aboos
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I'd like to know more about the fish, and how and where it was caught.

One_Leg

im not too sure as of right now. my brothers boy scout troop was hiking up to mt whitney and they passed by this lake. ill try to find out the name of the lake. but i know for sure that this lake isnt a one day hike in and out :D

DreStyle
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
That's a NICE Golden. You should take that pic to someone that does replica mounts and see if it's enough info to have one made. A Golden like that would be worth it IMO.

fisheromen
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
WOW!!!! That is one of the prettiest trout i've even seen!!!

That's a catch of a lifetime!

Spike/Hunter
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
OMG that thing is the biggest golden trout i have ever seen man that guy is lucky

pole'npants
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
golden.....must be the boyscout luck...sweeeeeeet
fish on

slief
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Ive caught alot of native trout in my lifetime and that fish is by FAR the best looking trout I have EVER seen! All I could think is OMG!!!

Granny Fish
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
That is a beautiful fish you got there. Thanks for sharing.

slief
07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I did a little digging and there are a number of lakes it could be but there happens to be a pair of "boyscout lakes" on Mt Whitney..

To me it looks like it could be one of the Meysan Lakes.

I found this: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1086683778043715150SQnNRO album online that has names and pictures of a number of lakes in that area and they all look worthy of some nice fish!

TroutBass
07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
That's a great catch.... It's a Volcanoe Creek Golden Trout
check the link for more info...

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/goldtrout.htm

aboos
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
ok, i just talked to my brother and he said it was from crab tree lake.

Fear No Trout
07-10-2007, 05:20 PM
That is a specie of Golden. My biologist friend from Bishop, Phil Pister used to work for the DFG for over 30 years and I shared a photo similar looking to that trout below and he said it could be hybrid but most definitely a type of "Golden". Congratulations on catching such a trophy.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Golden0602.jpg

Reminds me of "Heihachi Ishikawa" the 53 old guy who was in Manzanar who used to slip away for weeks at a time to catch "Goldens" in the Diamond Mesa area behind Mt. Williamson.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Ishikawa116kb.jpg
Photo by Toyo Miyatake while in Manzanar relocation camp.

Fear No Trout
Docent Manzanar National Historic Site & Interpretive Center

Liteliner
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
awesome trout. Its like a lightning trout body topped with a brown trout. Or something like that. Very nice fish. Isnt that the state fish???

troutdog
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
What an incredible fish...great picture too! Did your bro catch that on a lure or bait? There is one in the lodge up at Virginia Lake that was caught on a fly by the owner Carolyn, it looked very similar in size...maybe a tad bigger. As previously stated that looks to be fish of a lifetime!

TD

Troutman65
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME TROUT PHOTOS I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
8)
:D
:bigsmile:

Troutman65

aboos
07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
What an incredible fish...great picture too! Did your bro catch that on a lure or bait? There is one in the lodge up at Virginia Lake that was caught on a fly by the owner Carolyn, it looked very similar in size...maybe a tad bigger. As previously stated that looks to be fish of a lifetime!

TD

i think bait. as for the state fish..im not too sure.

troutdog
07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I cannot stop checking this post out, that picture is sick! Hey Aboos check this link I found when I was looking for pics of golden trout...check out the sentence below the 3rd picture...it even mentions Crabtree Lake...enjoy the music as well :lol: Definitely a golden...and yes you were right in saying they are usually really small, but this lake apparently has some monsters!

http://www.varmintal.com/aback.htm

TD

BakoBassin
07-11-2007, 07:06 AM
That-is-one-bad-***-looking-fish :o

Catch of a lifetime.

Greg Madrigal
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Sweeeeee fish aboos. Looks like a tropical fish with those beautiful colors.
Nixce job....Like they say, cherish that photo, cuz it IS a fish of a lifetime!
Great job, and thanks for posting.

You mentioned that you were "catching fish like these..."
Were there others???????????? Do u have mo pics???
GM

BakoBassin
07-11-2007, 08:45 AM
I was just thinking...From the sounds of how long it takes to hike to this lake, good thing so many of us are too lazy to do the hike. That will surely preserve that lake :D Almost makes me want to do that hike...I said almost :wink:

one_leg
07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I was just thinking...From the sounds of how long it takes to hike to this lake, good thing so many of us are too lazy to do the hike. That will surely preserve that lake :D Almost makes me want to do that hike...I said almost :wink:

I'd even hike up Mt. Whitney for a shot at a beauty like that one!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to you!!!

One_Leg

aboos
07-11-2007, 10:10 AM

hahahaha.

Sweeeeee fish aboos. Looks like a tropical fish with those beautiful colors.
Nixce job....Like they say, cherish that photo, cuz it IS a fish of a lifetime!
Great job, and thanks for posting.

You mentioned that you were "catching fish like these..."
Were there others???????????? Do u have mo pics???
GM

yea, they were all around that size. and the bite was crazy good. ill check w/ my bro for more pics and ill post em up if he has any.

smokehound
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Thats a nice goldie :) Well Done.

fleaflicker
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM

unless it wasn't released. :?:

Fingers in the gills doesn't make for a good survival chance... unless you're a stranded boy scout. :roll:

GEORGEOUS FISH though.

Troutoholic
07-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Nice golden, what an awesome catch have there! :D

Dodger Doggy
07-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Alright then......HOW THE HECK DO WE GET THERE?! :D

Mrtroutdog (my good friend) has a spur up his you-know-what to get some of our "houseboat people" to go up there next year (uh oh......maybe this was a secret?!......sorry Aaron)......so I'm already contacting pack outfits; joined Climbers.org; and doing anything else I can to see how we can pull this off! (See what you started?! Thanks a lot!)

It doesn't look like an easy trek - which like some are saying here is probably a good thing. I'm thinking maybe parachute out of a helicopter instead?! lol (Yeah......THAT'LL happen!)

-Slowly Going Insane

aboos
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
alright..here are more photos. i havent really looked at these photos carefully until now...and all i can saw is WOW. such a beautiful place...enjoy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/emkayen/pt.223.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/emkayen/pt.218.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/emkayen/pt.217.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/emkayen/pt.228.jpg

troutdog
07-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Looks like heaven on earth to me...thank you for the additional pictures, absolutely amazing! Thanks again.

TD

ThemBastards
07-13-2007, 01:12 AM
is there an age limit for the boyscouts? I wanna go.

fisheromen
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Looks like heaven on earth to me...thank you for the additional pictures, absolutely amazing! Thanks again.

TD

A fish like THAT .... swimming in a place like THAT .... I agree, heaven on earth!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

studlyfisherman
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
i have a fish boner! :D

Dodger Doggy
07-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow. That's just great, great stuff. Awe inspiring beauty. Remember the feelings you had that day......and take "that" with you the rest of your life.

Greg Madrigal
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
:shock: WOW Aboos.....That place was AMAZING!!! THANKS for the additional photos. I say you send that to the OC Register and maybe you'll get on the front page of sports in COLOR! Or Def send that to WON!

UNBELIEVABLE fish! Photoshop maybe? LOL, just kidding. :P

I'm speechles...Orrr, have writers block. I gotta go. :D
GM

olfishergal
07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
incredible fish beautiful country..wow...

one_leg
07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Put your hands up and step away froom the airbrush!......lol

Thanks for the pretty pictures.

One_Leg

smokehound
07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Good lord. Thats the largest golden trout ive ever seen.

Troutman65
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Truly a catch of a life time!!

Thanks for posting some more photos !!!

Maybe I can charter a heilo- chopper to get me in there long enough to catch one and get out fast..... J/K

Troutman65

Sparky70
07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Send a picture of that Beautiful Golden to Western Outdoor News, It might make you famous.........Fabluous Pic.
This article will make most fishermen join the BOYSCOUTS.
Cudooooooos to U Young Man

Troutman65
07-16-2007, 05:41 PM
i have a fish boner! :D

:rofl:

Tm65

christainmetalhead909
07-16-2007, 07:27 PM
beautiful fish

syiamonster
07-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Just wanted to say WOW! And congrats! Beautiful fish... Thanks for the additional pics....

BakoBassin
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
The fish and that lake are absolutely ridiculous.

How long do you think the hike would be if it were just a couple of adults?

Cabodude
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Anybody have any screen cleaner I can borrow?

Joshua
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
That is impressive
I would make that hike just to see fish that nice.

I am envious. Not jealous

I would have a mount made. That fish is a "trophy" in anyones book.

SanDimasLMB
07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Thats the most beautiful fish I have ever seen and the most Azure blue water I have ever seen This is definetly going on my Must Fish Before Dying List :lol:

AGAIN, CONGRATS ON A MARVELOUS SPECIMEN :appl:

troutslayer05
07-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Thats an amazing looking trout there..

Crawler
07-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to get my fat *** in shape. :mrgreen:

zZaNg
07-25-2007, 06:09 PM
WOW man... that is a really nice looking place... That water is so clean.

fisherkid47
07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
That golden is HUDGE!!!

beernfish
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
AWESOME!!!!! :thumb:

steve092
09-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Holy carp!!!
Look at the color on that thing!!!
I've seen lightning trout, but never golden.

Trout-Slayer77
12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
first off i just want to say congrats on such a beautiful fish :D thats one of the nicest looking places ive ever seen. i have to go there.... these pics will haunt my dreams until i make it there to catch one too. u have to get a replica made. great pics bro, thanks for the report !!

johnsfishing
12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
wow :D awesome!

johnsfishing

WARRIORMIKE
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Holy golden trout batman! Did you get a replica of that fatty. How much did it weigh?I plan on doing this hike just to get a crack at one of these. Who wants to go?

WAVEMHOME
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Holy golden trout batman! Did you get a replica of that fatty. How much did it weigh?I plan on doing this hike just to get a crack at one of these. Who wants to go?

I can be ready in an hour! :D

troutslayer05
12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I just added ONE BIG thing to do before i die...Amazing catch. Thanks for posting. :D On another note...anyone willing to acctually go on a backpacking trip or plan one to catch these amazing creatures? IM DOWN.

LARiver
12-31-2007, 08:10 AM
I love this thread. Yeah that is 100% certain an amazing fish.
Recently I stopped at the Lone Pine visitor's center. Really neat place by the way. I have friends who want to do Whitney so I walked in seeking more info. There are some interesting rules re: the Whitney area (not just the mountain). Apparently the trails, because the area is so popular with hikers and "peak baggers" that you need to apply for a wilderness permit. This isn't unusual for parts of the Sierra and who knows how hard they enforce it but the apps for the Whitney area get snagged way in advance. This applies to the Whitney Portal access point so if you access the region from other routes, there may be more info that I am not aware of. I'd look into it if anyone's planning on trying it. Also, be in shape! This is HIGH altitude!
Tight Lines,
LA

madhatter
12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
In order to climb Mt. Whitney, you do, indeed, need to reserve a permit 6 months in advance (to make sure they're still even available). You should be in excellent health and should actually train by summiting a couple of the peaks around here (Baldy, San Gorgonio, Saddleback, Baden-Powell, Thunder, Cucamonga, Iron, etc) before the trip.
A ranger guards the Whitney trail at the Lone Pine Lake trail junction to check permits. You can hike to Lone Pine Lake without a permit, but taking the fork to the summit requires it.

fishing_addict
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Awesome fish!

Native Gal
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
NICE, NICE, NICE
Definitely one of the best reports yet. CONGRATS to the Boy Scout Crew :appl:.
The Sierras is my favorite place to fish. Have been fishing there since the early 80's and I have never seen a Super Sized Golden like that before, I always check out the pixs in the local shops. That is definitely a rare catch. The hikes to the glacier lakes are always worth it, beautiful clear lakes and unbelievable, colorful fish. I used to hike to Hidden Lake on the John Muir Wilderness trail when I was in shape, ran x-country in H.S. and some 5K's during my 20's, made the hike much easier, what a workout to get up there. A 2 - 2 1/2 hour hike straight up the mountain side. Major vertical, you can reach out in front of you and touch the ground. The first 1/2 hour was always the hardest, the quick altitude change burns in the lungs and then it gradually levels out. You definitely have to be in shape and be careful not to mistep, otherwise twisted ankles or knees. Saw a Bobcat once when coming down while toting some of our catch, thankfully he went to other way. Used to catch some nice 1-2 lb rainbows before they started stocking. Nice browns, my friend caught a 2 lb. brown. I loved catching Brookies, so colorful. The do spot check for wilderness permits in the requested areas, hefty fines without.
Enjoy your memorable trip, I sure did enjoy reading your report. I love reports like this one, definitely memorable.

Truly A Golden Report :D

mleegal
Native Gal

FishBandit
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Great photos and excellent fish! However....

:soapbox:

This is definitely the last place this sort of info is shared w/ almost 12000 views :shock: :bang:

:banned:

theBandit

Fis-on
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I am planning a trip up there for later this year. The applications for the permit lottery are availible next month. Though we haven't locked a date down... we may not need to get in the lottery if its late enough in the year. There will be 6-7 of us.

Bashman
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I don' think this thread will ever die :secret: Maybe the OP should take the thread down to avoid the professional poachers... :lol: j/k
I have caught goldens before, but nothing compares to that. Wow, just wow! Another area I found goldens are one or two lakes behind saddlebag lake. That area is like heavan also. Keep it quiet :mrgreen: What's written here, stays here.

Fis-on
01-11-2008, 09:17 AM
^^^^No offense, but some of us were fishing those lakes longbefore this boyscout report. I seriously doubt there are many of us motivated enought to expell the needed time and energy it takes to get to these lakes, based on a report from the internet.
With that being said... it is not a novice friendly trek. I have seen more that a few people suffer the effects of the elevation and not be able to complete the journey, or even worse... reach thier destination only to feel to poor to truly enjoy it.

txcurry
01-12-2008, 06:15 AM
That is a beautiful Golden, nice and fat.
When I did Whitney at the tender age of 18, I went with my old scout troop also. It was one of the last things I did as a scout since 18 is the cutoff age. We trained for 2 months before the hike. We did Baldy from Icehouse Canyon in 1/2 a day for example. It's hard to remember since it was 40 years ago.
We did Whitney from the backside and took 8 days to do it. It was the most memorable experience I have ever had. We went in at Onion Meadows and out at The Portals. I caught my 1st Golden in Bub's Creek on a lunch break on a mosquito dry fly. We took a side trip to Wallace Lakes and I caught and released 8 goldens there in 1/2 an hour.
We went back to Wallace Lakes the next yaer and on that trip I caught a 15" Golden on a wet fly. You could keep 5 fish back then (1969) and I ate Goldens every night. We ran into a guy on that trip who had a weight loss program where he would go into the back country with no food except for coffee and spices and live on the fish he caught for a week.I lost over 20 lbs on the Whitney hike myself and we ate well with the freeze dried food we had. I wish I had pictures but never got any from the one man with us who had a camera.
TX

HunterAndy
01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
pure bred golden trout and it looks 2 me like it is somewhere up mt whitney.....or could be convict lake 2......

DocSpotty
01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Truly those are some of the most beautiful goldens I have seen. Ran into many that size 35 years ago way back in the Sierras....rare that size. They have classic look of Volcano Creek Golden Trout but probably, and unfortunately, are not likely to be pure bred. A very comprehensive, recent extensive, genetic study on golden trout found that only one tributary of Volcano Creek has absolutely pure breed fish. The hatchery which supplied fish for nearly all the transplants from the original area was found to have introgressed hybridization from rainbow trout that dates back nearly 60 years....truly a travesty.

That takes nothing away from these breathtakingly colored fish here.....wow.

Brian

tpfishnfool
01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Please tell me he let those fish go !!! Please ??

jig-jig-jig
01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Great Fish!!

flytyingreloader
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
That is one fine golden trout. Every one of us gets One Good Dog--One Great Fish--and One Excellent Rifle. Thank you for sharing yours.

If I were after golden trout with size........two places occur to me as "best possible".

For relative ease of access and variety of waters to fish, I would opt for the Desolation Lakes Basin, and Big Desolation Lake in particular. The trail grade isn't real bad, and Piute Lake on the east side of the crest is a nice lunch spot. The lake contains A LOT of brookies, but gets hit hard by day-hiking anglers. Sunup and sundown are best, before and after the day-hikers stop beating the water to a froth. Many of the fish caught here have the "underfed aspect" to their bodies--head a bit larger in contour than the body that's behind it, and few fish of substantial size. In such instances, it might be best to take out few of these fish for dinner, because such indications are evidence of too little food/too many fish.

Over the crest at Piute Pass, a bit more walking gets you to the Desolation Lakes Basin, containing 29 lakes/tarns and 4 streams with varying-density populations of goldens. There is a pack service operating at the Piute Pass trailhead. They did offer spot trips, dunno if they do the guided/catered bit or not. Can't answer for their quality of service, I've always hiked in. Gold or silver Kastmasters and Panther Martins--esp. yellow body/red spotted with silver blade--are the hot hardware to fling. Small Muddlers are my favorite all-day fly here, and #18-#22 midges can be deadly if the fish are rising early and late. Small dark brown nymph patterns (#14 to #18) do well all day in the streams. Again, these fish see some pressure--so they are pretty tackle-wise and angler-wary.

On the other extreme.......if you are in VERY GOOD SHAPE, Italy Lake just over the crest from the east approach at Italy Pass (12,300 ft.) has been called "one of the most purely wild areas in North America" by the Sierra Club. Utterly, incredibly beautiful--and well above tinberline. Italy Lake is 124 acres and quite deep, and I have caught MANY quality goldens here--my largest was 12", and MANY fish in the 10"-11" class. In nearly a dozen visits between 1973 and 2001, I have seen one other party camped in the area--and only 3-4 parties pass through. All but one of these parties came up from the west approach.

Italy Pass from the east is an iron-clad bona-fide bee-otch. It begins at the Pine Creek roadend (Sheelite and Rovana area, northwest of Bishop) and has close to 4500 feet of elevation gain in relatively few miles. The first couple miles is on an abandoned mining road that switchbacks steeply over a sun-exposed mountainside. It might get shade by 5 P.M. Upper Pine Lake was my usual first day stop, and it has a good population of goldens. I've had a couple of 40- to 50-fish mornings or evenings here. Not much size to them, but they fight like wildcats, and are a ton of fun on ultralight tackle. The same recommendations on tackle/lures/flies applies here--these are my "go-to" tools for back-country trout, as shown by 35 years of trying.

Once over the top of the Pass, look forward to hiking over a large snow tongue/glacier that parallels Italy Lake's south shore. After almost buying the farm on my first trip into the area, I added crampons to the ice axe I used as a hiking staff. A 150-foot slide on a 40* angle glacial slope--followed by a 25'-30' drop from the edge of the glacier into the water that was ice 15 minutes earlier......not good.

All things excellent are both rare and difficult. The area is pristine for a reason--it's hard to get to. The earliest I've been able to access Italy Lake is the last week of July. I've never seen evidence of horse packers near the lake, or near my usual campsite 3/4 mile west at Jumble Lake. I'm sure many people visit here, likely from the west approach--a 3-day hike. People willing to put in those kind of hours usually take good care of a place, though--so it doesn't have the "run-over" look of the day-hike endpoints you see on many Sierra trails.

Why I share this info here.......it is unlikely that I will be able to do much more hiking of this type due to mild disability from a nerve disorder (CIDP). It would be selfish to keep this info to myself under these circumstances. Desolation Lakes Basin is already pretty well-known, and has sufficent area to contain a number of hikers and anglers without harming the resource or spoiling the back-country experience. Italy Lake keeps itself pristine through its topography--the last 800 feet of elevation on the Pass' east approach is a scramble over talus, following a "ducked" route.

Good luck!

madhatter
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
What great information! Thank you!
Desolation lake is pretty big. It's so unsual to be surrounded by natural lakes when all we're exposed to is cement-banked park lakes and cement-dammed bass lakes here in Southern California!

flytyingreloader
02-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Italy Lake remains one of my most treasured fishing spots, owing to both its stark beauty and to its sometimes excellent fishing. It will throw down The Skunk once in a while--but has also given out 50-75 fish mornings or afternoons.

All things excellent are both rare and difficult.

inthroughtheocean
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Italy Lake remains one of my most treasured fishing spots, owing to both its stark beauty and to its sometimes excellent fishing. It will throw down The Skunk once in a while--but has also given out 50-75 fish mornings or afternoons.

All things excellent are both rare and difficult.

http://ee.stanford.edu/~hellman/soaring ... index.html (http://ee.stanford.edu/~hellman/soaring/pics/040730South/index.html)
goood ariel views of italy lake^
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_n ... k_iny5.htm (http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/ca/hik_iny5.htm)

if i go backpacking this summer italy lake might become one of my destinations. though seems really desolate with no trees...ha ha prob cause its elevation. (i usually go to the lakes on the other side of kearsarge pass and in gardiner basin)

Mr.Trout
02-18-2008, 10:55 PM
dude, seriously, I've never seen a more beautiful lake or trout. That is the greatest thing in trouts world.

I am totally serious about this, whoever, WHOEVER wants to go or a trip is planned I am def. in to go!! :banana:

sierraslam
02-22-2008, 07:05 AM
The hike over Italy P*** really difficult. I've hiked Pine Creek P*** several times and that is no picnic. Lots of little Goldens in French Canyon but you will see other people. Italy and the Bear lakes you will have to yourself if you can get there. I go up with the mules and have a spot or base camp at a little lower elevation. Hiking in with a fishing rod and lunch is the way to go

ZenDragon
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
I've caught golden trout before but nothing compared to that one. Thats a monster! Their colors are bright and gawdy when they are spawning. Great Picture, he should make a replica mount...

Skyler
02-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Geez. Will this thread EVER die? Lol.

GotBass?
02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I dont know what to say I cant take my eyes off that TROPHY GOLDEN!! Got to love those eastern sierra back country toads!! Look at those colors! Long days of eating dust on the trail sure pay off!

pappi
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
i think "fish boner" is the correct term for this thread

normak111
02-29-2008, 01:42 AM
This the best pics I on this site. it would be the sweetest to float tube that lake. wow imagine it. How long does it take to hike in to this set of lakes from the Whitney portal? anybody have an answer for that. thanks kj

sierraslam
02-29-2008, 07:35 AM
I'd say 2 days from the portal to Crabtree Lakes. A lot of people summit in a day but not with a full pack. The first day you could stop at trail camp, then over the crest to Crabtrees. Most people that stop at Crabtree lakes start out at Horseshoe Meadows, hike all the way around then out to the Whitney Portal. Either way it is a heck of hike. good fishin!

GotBass?
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Could get to Crabtree in a day if you start early and are an exp'd packer. Once at Trail Crest its down hill passed Guitar Lake and Timberline Lake (both great golden fishing) and then into Crabtree Meadow. From Crabtree Meadow you follow the JMT/PCT South to the junction for the trail leading into Crabtree Lakes, heres where you climb again, but nothing like the climb to Trail Crest. If you are not an experienced packer two days. Day 1 being the hardest day of course trying to acclimate and then make the climb upto Trail Crest. You could either camp just below Trail Crest and make it to the pass early on the second day or camp along Guitar Lake, or one of the other small lakes before Guitar, just on the other side of Trail Crest and have an easy second day into Crabtree Lakes basin. Spectacular country in the eastern sierras.

Long days of eating dust on the trail sure pay off!

GotTrout?

FishnSierra
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
14,040 views...holy crap

420Bones
03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I will be summitting Whitney via the MMWT (if permits come through) sometime in June/July. Has anyone fished the lakes along this route? Mirror Lake or Consultation Lake? I cannot pass a lake with Goldens like that and not give it a try.

sierraslam
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
I have fished Lone Pine Lake which has some nice little Rainbows, Mirror has many little Brookies. Consultation is where you want to fish. I've caught Rainbows up to 20 inches from there. When i have done the summit of Whitney I camp at Consultation, and then day hike the summit from there. The Goldens are all on the other side of Trail Crest. From Consultation it's not such a bad day hike to Guitar Lake where there are goldens to be had. Go for it! good fishin!

Jim Lowe
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
That is a specie of Golden. My biologist friend from Bishop, Phil Pister used to work for the DFG for over 30 years and I shared a photo similar looking to that trout below and he said it could be hybrid but most definitely a type of "Golden".
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Golden0602.jpg

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. This thread recently came to attention and since this is my fish, or rather a fish I caught and released, I thought I’d comment.

First, could it be a hybrid? Sure it could, there are very few “pure” goldens left (a discussion for another time I’m sure). But does it have to be hybrid? No. I’m not a fish biologist but I’ve never felt that Golden Trout have to be small. I think that size is an environmental thing. I recently saw a documentary of fish hatcheries were they stated that if trout are kept at a certain temperature, it triggers a growth gland of sorts and fish grow at a much faster rate than they might normally.

I think the fish in the photo is large simply because of the large protein source in the lake, namely scuds, mysis shrimp, whatever you want to call them. The lake bottom is littered with them.

For comparison, here’s a large golden I took out of the cottonwood lakes. I don't see much difference:

http://www.highcountryflyfisher.com/images/Photos/GT/clakegoldnrod.jpg

Jim Lowe

tujunga tim
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I was watching some college basketball when i stumbled across this magnificent golden, and all I could think of was Dick Vitale saying "AWSOME BABY"

Piranha
03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I printed these two pics out (large) and posted them on the wall of my adult classroom alongside my mediochre halibut, croaker, shark, and even my record spotfin croaker pics. I printed them shortly after they appeared on this board. These trout steal the show! Students are asking me, "Is that your son?" I say, "No, actually I don 't personally know the fisherman!" Others ask me, "Are those goldfish?" Then I go into my citizenship mode and explain that these are the official state fish of California and are only caught in crystal clear waters above ten thousand feet. I find it bitterly ironic that the record for a marvelous treasure of a California native fish was caught in Wyoming. See the link below! Piranha

(warning-this link includes 54 recipes! )

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=145

Sierra_Smitty
03-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I find it bitterly ironic that the record for a marvelous treasure of a California native fish was caught in Wyoming. See the link below! Piranha

(warning-this link includes 54 recipes! )

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=145

The DFG traded some Golden eggs for Cutthroat eggs as I recall....we got the short end of the stick IMO. They have conditions perfect for growing massive goldens so their anglers are stoked...but CA DFG only put the Colorado strain of Cutts in one single drainage that is next to impossible to access. Ouch! haha!

DocSpotty
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Jim....first off....what a fabulous fish....colored as that one is. The markings on these goldens are pretty classic for goldens and if there is some introgression from rainbows it would probably be slight. Hybrid can mean a couple of things....two related parents....or just a mixture.....this may have some rainbow in it but it would more than likely be slight and many generations ago. Goldens do have the capacity to get bigger (as Wyoming can attest) and much depends on the food source....you mentioned daphnia or mysis were present in heavy numbers probably giving these fish not only more food but also highlighting some of their beautiful coloration.....I would give my eye teeth to catch of few of those spectacular goldens.

Have never seen the "growth gland" mentioned in my study of salmonid physiology but many subspecies of trout are capable of much larger growth than in their native habitat. Conversely, many will not grow much bigger even if given unlimited food supplies. Greatest example here is the Pyramid strain of Lahontan Cutthroats. The original strain perished in 1939 with the powers that be believing that they could restore them at any time because any Lahontan cutt would grow that size. Since then there has been mega manipulation of the hatchery strains but still cutthroats in Pyramid rarely get over 15-18 lbs. In the last spawning run of 1939 the average spawner was 20 lbs. The record of 41 lbs was set there and there are fairly reliable reports from the old commercial fishery of fish to 60 lbs. But the Pyramid strain was the only one capable of growing to that size due to their evolutionary development with the lakes tui chub population.

Also the Cottonwood Lakes goldens, from which almost all stocking and transplants have been made are now known to have been introgressed with rainbows probably dating back over 60 years.....so Wyomings' goldens are not "pure" bloods either.

Thank goodness the CA DFG didn't stock the exchanged Colorado River cutthroats elsewhere as we would have had more trouble with reestablishing CA native species. Colorado has spent huge sums of money to restore the Colorado and especially Greenback cutthroat to just a fraction of their native range due to indiscriminate stocking of rainbows, cutthroats, brookies and browns....none of which are native to Colorado. So they didn't do such a bad thing. And when Colorado messed up their primary Trappers Lake hatchery of Colorado River cutthroats guess where they came to restock the pure strain? California.

beartooth91
04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
The DFG traded some Golden eggs for Cutthroat eggs as I recall....we got the short end of the stick IMO. They have conditions perfect for growing massive goldens so their anglers are stoked...but CA DFG only put the Colorado strain of Cutts in one single drainage that is next to impossible to access. Ouch! haha!

I'm not so sure. The below fish is a Colorado River Cutthroat which I caught and released at Upper Lamphier Lake, in the Fossil Ridge Wilderness, near Gunnison in Aug 2005. I love Goldens, but, the CRCT and Greenback Cutthroats rival Goldens for sheer beauty.
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/42619/2010525870103141310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2010525870103141310vCcTUV)

Also the Cottonwood Lakes goldens, from which almost all stocking and transplants have been made are now known to have been introgressed with rainbows probably dating back over 60 years.....so Wyomings' goldens are not "pure" bloods either.Not necessarily - here in Montana's Beartooth Mountains - the Sylvan Lake population (which has been Montana's Golden Trout brood lake for decades) was established with Cottonwood Lakes fish stocked in 1939. DNA testing over the last 20+ years (and many recent tests in the last several years) have revealed these fish to be pure. Wyoming used to egg take out of the Surprise Lake population on the west slope of the Wind River Range until 1993. There is debate whether these fish were pure or not. The lake was lost as a source of eggs in the early 90's due to siltation from the Fayette Fire. Until 2005, no Golden Trout were stocked in WY since 1994. In the last few years, WY has been egg taking Golden eggs at Grave Creek Lake on the Wind River Indian Reservation. These fish do have some Rainbow introgression, but, are reasonably pure enough to stock. I was told last fall, however, that WY had purchased or traded with Montana for some eggs from the Sylvan Lake Goldens. I'm not sure if this is a 1 time thing or if it will be ongoing. Nevertheless, there are several lakes in the Winds (most on the east slope) which have Goldens dating back to the 1940's. It would be interesting to see how these fish would test out with regard to purity.
With regard to the size of Wyoming's Goldens, remember the world record Golden was caught in 1948 at one of the Cook Lakes in what is now the Bridger Wilderness on the Wind River Range west slope. While this was notable, its not uncommon after fish are first planted into a lake with an untapped food source. Both Cook Lakes are overwhelmed with small Brook Trout now - the goldens are nowhere to be found in those 2 lakes. There are some big Goldens in Wyoming - most notably at Elbow Lake on the west slope of the Wind Rivers and at several lakes on the east slope in the Wind Rivers. But, I still feel my native Sierras are the absolute best place to chase trophy sized Goldens. That's why I'm planning a trip out there in early September to Humphreys Basin - just over the crest from my hometown of Bishop.
beartooth91

DocSpotty
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
beartooth....that colorado river cutthroat is magnificent....you are right about their beauty compared to goldens....that is why goldens were initially thought to be type of cutthroat.

About the Sylan Lake population.....the introgression of rainbow trout into the brood stock of Cottonwood Lakes was first noticed in the early 1930's and there are no transplantations which are considered of pure strain golden since the very early 30's. Montana's Sylvan appeared to get fish in 1938 from my reading but either way...well after rainbow trout alleles had been introduced into the golden trout stock. Until the last few years all of the populations around Volcano and Golden Trout Creek were considered pure....but cutting edge genetic analysis has now shown the only completely pure strain is in an isolated headwater of Volcano Creek.....and unfortunately does not have enought genetic diversity to be considered viable brood stock to reestablish genetically pure goldens elsewhere....sad story. Perhaps some pure strain will be found in some isolated location.....we can hope.

beartooth91
04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
beartooth....that colorado river cutthroat is magnificent....you are right about their beauty compared to goldens....that is why goldens were initially thought to be type of cutthroat.

About the Sylan Lake population.....the introgression of rainbow trout into the brood stock of Cottonwood Lakes was first noticed in the early 1930's and there are no transplantations which are considered of pure strain golden since the very early 30's. Montana's Sylvan appeared to get fish in 1938 from my reading but either way...well after rainbow trout alleles had been introduced into the golden trout stock. Until the last few years all of the populations around Volcano and Golden Trout Creek were considered pure....but cutting edge genetic analysis has now shown the only completely pure strain is in an isolated headwater of Volcano Creek.....and unfortunately does not have enought genetic diversity to be considered viable brood stock to reestablish genetically pure goldens elsewhere....sad story. Perhaps some pure strain will be found in some isolated location.....we can hope.
Well....either your info or mine is in error. Maybe its mine. However, I found the following:
2007 Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness Mountain Lakes Guide (these are compilations of the survey reports): (Sylvan Lake) "Genetics are good - egg take in 2005." It also lists the lake was planted with 3000 goldens in 1939. I did however, find another management document on the DFW&P website which says 1938. Here's another excerpt from a yearly report on the same website: "Golden trout eggs were collected this spring from Sylvan Lake in the A-B Mountains. Genetic testing of fish collected from Sylvan Lake in 2004 suggests the fish are pure California golden trout. Approximately 30,000 eggs were collected from 80 female golden trout. These eggs were transported to the hatchery in Big Timber, reared to about 1.5 inches long, and stocked into the previously stocked golden trout lakes in the A-B Mountains." I read somewhere (but can't seem to find it now) these same fish were tested at a university in Montana and found to be pure strain. In all my research and discussions with CA biologists I've never been told for sure the Rainbow introgression occurred that far back. Everything said to me has been "sometime in the last 60 years or so". But, I'm guessing your sources may be a bit better than mine (and these would be California biologists).
beartooth91

Homeslice
04-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Damn! I'm hiking that route in Sept. Please tell me you released it.

Sierra_Smitty
04-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Guys & Gals....this thread has received a crapload of traffic (16,000+ views) which may not be a good thing for this particular fishery. Even though I've been there, and know how incredibly hard it is to reach, this much traffic makes me nervous. There aren't many places like it in the high country of California.

I'm just shooting off the cuff here but maybe further debates are ideal for PM.....I know that's how I'm keeping it from here on out.

peace,
smitty

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Keep it quiet Smitty

mii
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
if this were my site this thread wouldve been deleted a long time ago. i have heard of this area before but never any specifics. yes, its hell to get to and despite the large number of views still wont get hit that hard but now the information is out there.

i agree with sierra smitty, this place doesnt get fished and even a fair amount of pressure will change this lake a lot. it makes me nervous as well. hopefully, things wont get to bad but only time will tell.

mii
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Keep it quiet Smitty
lol honeslty respect what the guy is saying. he knows his stuff about the eastern sierra. i too share his concern about the amount of traffic this thing has gotten.

Homeslice
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
lol honeslty respect what the guy is saying. he knows his stuff about the eastern sierra. i too share his concern about the amount of traffic this thing has gotten.

Well this will be my final posting, but if this thread concerns anyone, know this: The lake in the thread pic is a lake along the Whitney trail which requires a permit that can only be aquired in Feb. and impossible to get any other time. Also, to reach that point requires good physical shape, endurance and a relatively good background in bakcpacking. That leaves you fat men out.

Oh yah you have to carry your own ***** (poop) out with you, enjoy.

mii
04-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Well this will be my final posting, but if this thread concerns anyone, know this: The lake in the thread pic is a lake along the Whitney trail which requires a permit that can only be aquired in Feb. and impossible to get any other time. Also, to reach that point requires good physical shape, endurance and a relatively good background in bakcpacking. That leaves you fat men out.

well if this info is correct im not worrying as much.

aboos
04-24-2008, 09:00 AM

it is correct and that is one of the reasons this thread is still up. i was thinking about taking it down but to get to these lakes is no walk in the park. apart from the permits, my bros boy scout troop trained for over a year for this hike. running at least twice a week and a hike every month. and still, some people did not make it all the way.

so all in all, if youre willing to go get the permits, spend the time to get into shape, plan out your approach (front or back side), get the right gear, do your research, spend the money, etc..then all the more power to you. go for it!!

flytyingreloader
04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Good points all around. I kinda wrassled with the Italy Lake/Desolation Lakes info and whether to post it or not. For the reasons stated in the post, I went ahead and shared it.

The Whitney area is TIGHTLY regulated as to access, so some pretty comprehensive protection of the resource results from that.

It is at this time of year--when I used to start the detailed planning of the back-country summer and fall fishing trips--that I truly miss the ability to walk those mountains like I used to. For those of you young enough to still be in decent shape--or older and who maintained physical condition that enables such work--I cannot over-emphasize the importance of keeping fit. When I was diagnosed with the CIDP disorder in 2003, the neurosurgeon expressed surprise that I could walk at all due to test results. I guess I didn't get that memo. What I'm saying--IF YOU'RE IN GOOD PHYSICAL SHAPE--STAY THAT WAY. If not--GET THAT WAY. Long-term exercise and conditioning saved my ability to walk--and likely saved my life in late 2004 when I got a serious staph aurea condition. EXERCISE PAYS DIVIDENDS FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE--sometimes in ways you wouldn't think of.

Fisherman57
04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Here's something else to consider guys.

This thread has been up 90 days short of ONE YEAR...... each and every time a person views the thread it counts as a "view"..... in fact, there is more than a couple people on this site that have viewed this thread 100's of times during that year..... so Im not sure if "views" are a telltale sign of the impact. Possibly, but Im not convinced of that.

My point is, 17000 DIFFERENT people have not viewed this thread.

There have been lots of good points made here and most of you have presented your views in a proffesional manner.

So........ at the risk of becoming even MORE loathed...... LOL....... Im going to lock the thread. Which in turn kinda defers to both sides of the argument. The thread stays, but slowly will move down the column and into the archives where it will see less attention and way less views.

Oh....and by the way, those of you who kept posting that the thread should be removed, well, of course you know that by posting your comment you keep the thread active and at the top of the forum....where it gets MORE views....

Your request would have been best served by PMing the author of the thread who could then request for me to delete it if he so chose to ask me to do so.

I realize this is a secluded, tough to reach area for the most part and requires quite a bit of dedication to reach, but then again wasnt all of California at one time?

Most of all, I really admire and appreciate all of you who IMO are looking out for the fishery and trying to educate others. Well done!

Thanks for the discussion fellas. It was a good one.