PDA

View Full Version : Not so new to SoCal

etb75
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
First post,

Ok I have been out here 9 years from Tulsa. I have been fishing out on the charter boats a few times, not for me. I went to the lake(pond) in Irvine once too, that really isn’t for me. I might be too picky but don't like the fishing with 40 ppl to either side of me. So mainly last few years I have just been fishing when I visit back home a few times. I'd like to bring my gear out here and fish more. I’m in Torrance. I don't mind driving up to Castaic or what not. But I have to stick to shoreline fishing. I like the bass, bluegill, crappie etc... I have lighter weight gear because at home I mainly fish the three ponds on our property. I miss it soooo much... That being said, without buying a boat, or a bunch of new gear. Where do you guys think is the best for a pond fisher who wants his privacy...?? Tall order in SoCal I guess...

DarkShadow
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Very tall order indeed.

Unlike the rest of the country, our lakes to population ratio is extremely skewed. Its sad being able to name all the fishable lakes in 10 seconds, but its something I've gotten used to.

Because of fluctuations in water levels at our reservoirs, sometimes even shore fishing can be limited. What I recommend doing is getting a good pair of hiking shoes, and find areas away from the typical shoreline haunts that people frequent because they are not willing to fish anywhere too far from where they parked their car.

That is probably the only way to get some type of solitude when fishing our reservoirs in SoCal.

Of course, if you don't mind catching small native trout, there are a few streams that you can hike into that may provide the peace and quiet you seek.

G'luck with ur ventures.

El Weirdo
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
howdy..if i read your post right..you said you did not mind a drive..blythe out twords arizona offers a good measure of solitude
i have fished it many times and have not seen an other angler..also... near el centro there are some canals mind you most of these drives are be-tter fished in a weekend trip....if you have any questions on spots shoot me a pm..
EL...
p.s my girlfriend is from tulsa..and fish out there once a year..

Newfishsmell
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
At the local lake/reservoirs, most times weekdays will make a huge difference in crowds &
a lot of them have bike trails or hiking trails to access less crowded areas. If you have to go
on the weekends try to make at opening hour until 10/11:00 before the flood gates open.:Rolls Eyes:

If your doing a weekend trip try the Eastern Sierra in May after the season opener(trout) or in
October just before the end of the season, both good times to beat the crowds, take a day
pack or backpack and hike to some lakes/creeks off the main roads.:Big Grin:

Your salt trip was that a private charter??? if not check out some of your local tackle shops and
get to know some of the guys and ask about limited load charters , lots of fun once you get to know
the group your fishing with.

Last but not least , Thanksgiving & Christmas Day for some reason tend to be slow:EyePop: , but
if the wife ask you didn't here that here.:Secret:

Good Luck :Fishing Catch: