PDA

View Full Version : Fear No Trout - Manzanar Fisherman Documentary Film Update

Fear No Trout
01-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I know it's been a long time since I posted but a lot has happened as far as my personal life and my life within the fishing community. First off, I have been working diligently working to raise the necessary funding for my long awaited documentary film "From Barbed Wire to Barbed Hooks".
Last March 2009 as some you already know, Bart Hall through his generous support gave me a chance to create an exhibit about the "Manazanar Fisherman" at last years Fred Hall Fishing Shows. I want to thank the many thousands of you for stopping by and supporting the project by you interest and donations. I spent 5 days at the Long Beach Convention Center and another 5 days at the Del Mar Show. Some of you came to see me at both venues. The media exposure as the result of being able to display the exhibit at the Fred Hall Show has been nothing short of incredible. Several radio stations had me on as a studio guests, several TV stations including NBC ran a 3 minute news story on network news plus several local stations, and the biggest surprise was this project made the Column One Story on the front page of the L.A. Times on April 24th, 2009. The media exposure was "Off the Chain!!!!"

In my quest for additional funding in July 2009, I was awarded a grant from the National Park Service that was close to $50,000 and my goal of completing this film suddenly became clearly in sight. To date, I am in the editing stages and just completed a rough cut that is two hours long. The goal now is to create a 90 minute film for theatrical release. I just gathered 3 more interviews to flesh out the story of the famous "Golden" trout fisherman named "Ishikawa".

Below is a unseen photograph that was given to me by my good friend Phil Pister from Bishop. Phil is a renown DFG biologist who spent most of his career dealing with the indigenous fish and other species that surround the Owens Valley and the Eastern Sierra. The photograph is that of the Colorado River Cutthroat trout that was planted on the other side of Mt. Williamson behind Manzanar by the Calif. DFG back in 1931 and were hiked in by foot and hauled in by mules. Then painstakingly placed in backpacks and carried the rest of the way by biologist to 3 lakes in what is known as the Williamson Basin. The Manzanar internees would sneak out from the barbed wire fences and scale a 12,000' pass and catch what they thought were Golden trout. Little did the know at the time they were actually catching a specie of trout even more rare that was found only in Colorado.

Even though this film is taking a longer to finish than I anticipated all the hard work and patience in making this project will be worth the wait.

E.A.R.G.
01-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Hey FNT
Good to see the progress!
Its cool to go to crowley and see your writing and be able to say "i know that guy!"

Awesome stuff
Good luck with upcoming work too!
-EARG

billy b
01-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Are you going to be guiding in the spring?

Sierra_Smitty
01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
That is a sweet pic Cory....I've never actually seen a picture of one of the fish from Williamson bowl. Very cool!

Keep up the good work.

olfishergal
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Fantastic!!!!!! can't wait to see the docu when its out......OFG

deanhall32
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Last year I was heading to Bishop and decided to stop in at Manzanar. I was looking at the log of people that were put there and noticed my girlfriends last name (Tsujimura) listed quite a few times. I called her and asked her if anyone in her family was there and she said she didn't think so but didn't know for sure because the topic wasn't brought up much-for obvious reasons. I read the log to her over the phone and found out that her dad was there when he was 2 years old!! Kind of off the topic but ran a chill up my spine!!!

teejay
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
We stopped at Manzanar not to long after they opened the new visitor center. I seem to recall a small display about the fishermen and there homemade gear. I assumed though that they just fished the local creeks adjacent to Manzanar, I never imagined that they humped it over those rugged passes. Fascinating -can hardly wait for the film.

sansou
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Cory,

Looking forward to the finished product!

Gimme a heads up if you need my help again this year. It was an honor last year to help you out, and along the way we had some good laughs!

Bradakas
01-30-2010, 09:57 PM
definately looking foward to the release. Thanks for all your hardwork.

Natural Lefty
01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Fear No Trout, this is fascinating. Congratulations on your success in making the documentary. I have been reading your reports for a long time now. I'm glad to see that you are doing so well.

I caught a fish in June 2008 on my trip to Colorado that looked like a Cutbow, but not a pure Cutthroat such as the one in the picture. It was on Grand Mesa in the Colorado River drainage, so I figure its Cutthroat side was of the Colorado River strain.

troutdog
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the update Cory, try not to be such a stranger on FNN....best of health and success with the project in 2010!

TD

Big Country
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Way to go Cory...I was watching am old "California's Gold" on Manzanar where they had some of the camp survivors there to look for their names in concrete.

I was thinking about your project as I watched and was wondering to myself how it was all going for you.

Glad to hear of the progress and good luck with the final piece.