PDA

View Full Version : Great day at Glen Helen

Cartman
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
As far as I could tell, everybody had a great day at Glen Helen today, Monday, Jan 25. I ran into Jumpman but lost him right away. Hey dude, were you calling me from across the lake? I thought I heard my name, but I couldn't see anything with the sun in my eyes.

I didn't catch anything on bait though lots of people did. It seems like orange and rainbow were the most popular. I caught two drop-shotting bubblegum gulp worms, but the fishies tore off my last one, and I didn't have any luck with regular power worms. I tried my red and silver castmaster with no luck. Then I switched to drop-shotting a chartruese gulp jig and landed one on my second cast. Dropped that one in my basket, and caught another on my second cast after that. Wow, by 11:00 I had four and was wondering if I didn't want to let one escape or find someone to take if off me so I could keep fishing. Glad I didn't. I lost a beautiful tail walker and my jig when my line broke off right at the split shot. I had tied a knot to keep it from sliding down, and after a lot of casts I think I had some twists in the line. I have to find some split shot that doesn't slide around. Also I don't think it is a good idea to use a swivel with a jig to prevent line twists, but I have to figure out something. Any ideas? I feel like a swivel, even a ball-bearing swivel, would interfere with the movement of the jig.

Lots of people were catching fish off powerbait but the family to my left caught nothing. They usually fish for carp at Elsinore and catch really big ones on masa and cook them in cocido. First time trout fishing, and nathan shakin".

I told myself, limit or no, I would leave at 2:00. About five til 2:00 I caught number five on my jig and I was done. I love catching trout on the jig. It was the first time I ever did, and I plan to do it again and again and again.

I don't know why they seemed to be biting so well today. Maybe it was because of the changing weather. I dunno, but that is my report on a beautiful day at Glen Helen in the shadow of the snow capped mountains.

Trout 1
01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Good job out there bro! jiging is the best way to fish IMO! What was the size of the fish?

Cartman
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Trout 1, they were all good grilling size. No monsters. For my money I like them a pound or a pound and a half. They bigger ones are kinda chewy when you grill them.

Trout 1
01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Trout 1, they were all good grilling size. No monsters. For my money I like them a pound or a pound and a half. They bigger ones are kinda chewy when you grill them.

Oh ok! Yea at the Rancho derby they where all over 2lbs good size fish for the money.

Trout 1

Bradakas
01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
try pinching the line with the split shot at an angle I'll try to explain or take a pic later. Basically, it allows the sinker to pinch the line with more surface area.

jumpman
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
hey jon,

Great day huh, its about time we got one like this... Trout1 whats up bro? there were some decent size out of our 12 we had a couple close to 3# and an average of around 2... PM me i wanna here more about the dreby. cartman i am sure we will be bumping into each other more....
JM, jason