PDA

View Full Version : North American Fishing Club

Dang
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Got a offer in the mail today and would like some input from you before I act on it. I was offered to test new fishing equipment and such if I join for only a buck a month. Write a review for the equipment and I can keep it. And of course the benefits of belonging to the club, Emails, magazine ect ect.
Anyone else ever do this. Is it for real or just a method to get money from me?

Daryl
01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
You would do yourself a favor to throw that stuff in the trash.

Fire Ball
01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
My dad got the same thing in the mail. I am able to get the Rattlin Rapala and then the fillet set, so I am going to send the thing in and get those and then possibly cancel after that.

evalrez
01-25-2010, 07:48 PM
It is absolutely worth it. Membership benefits are awesome. I have received some hooks, bobbers, and they recently sent me a book on trout. I would recommend it.

olfishergal
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I tried it, not worth the price of the dues

DarkShadow
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I joined years ago, canceled after a year.

It wasn't really worth it.

They send you a magazine a few times a year, that was all about 'fishing' in general, and also concentrated mostly on fishing in the South and the MidWest, and contained more ads than real articles.

The "free" lures they also give you, are well, not useful. I believe they sent me a spool of 20 pound test, some big ole 5/0 Mustad hooks, and a few other things that ended up at the bottom of my tackle bin.

You can 'test' lures, but good luck having it be something of legitimate interest.

Then they start sending you books, and then bills for the books that you never ordered, and you're sitting there asking yourself why you didn't get yourself a pack of Roboworms and a few drop shot sinkers instead of dishing out $12.

....and they recently sent me a book on trout. I would recommend it.

Has the bill for that book shown up yet? Or are the books part of the yearly membership?

WARRIORMIKE
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Its a load of garbage. Just sign up to Bassmasters.

bsp
01-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Don't do it. Take it from an ex member who got suckered into the whole thing by getting all the freebies initially. I got to test some trout worms, got some random bags of soft plastics, got shipped books that my dad/I later got a credit bill for (called to cancel the books after that), a bunch of treble hooks and no name baitholders, the "exclusive" life member set (which I canceled), random spools of line you've never heard of (Berkley Iron Silk?), and the whole mess. I have not used anything besides the pack of trout worms, the fillet set I "won" is awful (the knives dull insanely fast), and the amount of spam I got for other things that my dad/I would get charged if we didn't cancel (always did) for was ridiculous. That stuff is in my garage somewhere, never to be used. The magazine is a joke too for the fishing we do here in SoCal. You can find better written info on techniques and product reviews online, and it's free.

Dang
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Well then I aint gonna do it.
Forums sure are handy things ain't they?

KDJ714
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Tried this years ago all I got were some hooks I could never use and a lure that was completely useless. Save your money and use it to take some young kid fishing and pass on the fun of fishing to someone new to the sport.

fishinone
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
I've received these ads a few times before.

Somewhere in the paperwork there's always a blurb about how you have to promise not to let non-members use the junk they will send. I couldn't find it in the last one I received but figured it was hidden way back in the paperwork and I threw it away anyway.

I figure that if I can't do whatever I want with junk that I have, it's not my junk.

I'd rather pay for stuff so that I actually own it.

Thanks, but no thanks.