PDA

View Full Version : May be getting the Kern River back?

Dalizzy07
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
From the Bakersfield Californian local newpaper, this will defiently bring the fishing back to Bakersfield. So please get involved even if your not from Bakersfield.

The board will vote on the issue at its Feb. 16 meeting in Sacramento and we all have until noon Feb. 9 to get in our two cents.

The recommended order wasn’t exactly what I expected. Board staff focused more on flood water that in really wet years can’t be used by water rights holders and occasionally goes out to the California aqueduct unclaimed.

That, they said, shows without doubt there is unappropriated water on the river.

There wasn’t enough evidence to make a determination about whether water is available through a court ruling that found Kern Delta Water Storage District forfeited some of its rights to the river for lack of use.

That issue can still be argued before the State Water Resources Control Board, however, according to the recommended order. And it means the city can go full tilt with its application to get any unappropriated water and run it down the riverbed.

“This is 90 to 95 percent favorable,” the city’s attorney, Colin Pearce, told me. “Now, we’re moving into a process where the public can comment on the use of the water and the order stated they would consider the environment and public trust issues.

“This order is a strong statement on their part.”

If you’ve been following my columns on this, you know I’m in full support of the city’s efforts. If there’s water available, and apparently there is, we should have some of it.

Five other entities, including some of Kern’s powerhouse ag districts, have fought against having the status of the river revised and they’ve also applied for the water themselves in case the board did find water was available. They would, according to their applications, use it for irrigation and housing.

I’m sure some of you will accuse me of favoring aesthetics over ag.

But remember, this is water that’s not being used. And running it down the river isn’t just about aesthetics anyway.

Doing so would:

1. Replenish the aquifer.

2. Restore the natural flora and fauna.

3. Create more recreation.

4. And yes, it would add beauty, which we could sorely use around here.

So if you want a river back here in good ol’ “river city,” now’s the time to get involved.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED

Submit written comments supporting the recommended order finding unappropriated water on the Kern River by noon Feb. 9 to:

Jeanine Townsend, Clerk to the Board
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 100
Sacramento, CA 95812-0100

Or by fax to:
(916) 341-5620

Or by email to:
commentletters@waterboards.ca.gov

Subject line must include “COMMENT LETTER - 2/16/10 BOARD MEETING ITEM: ORDER - KERN RIVER”

Any faxed or emailed items MUST be followed by a mailed or delivered hard copy with an original signature.

You may also speak at the Feb. 16 meeting but you have to limit your statement to three minutes and must focus only on the recommended order.

Read the draft order at:
http://www.waterboards.ca.g...