PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Fishing Tips

Boater13
01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey, I know baits and techniques but anyone who normally fishes wipers could post some tips and that would be greatly appreciated. One thing I really need some info about is location and any other important things you would like to include again would be very helpful. And Yes i will be fishing from a boat.
Boater

fishfan7642
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Try trolling with an umbrella rig.

VineAssist
01-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Funny thing is there really is no rhyme or reason to wiper fishing up here at the lake. I have been here for the first stocking of wipers way back when.
These fish really key in on the shad and silversides in the lake. Anywhere you can find bait would be a good area to start. I have caught them at Sierra Cove, West Shore and back in the flats. Once again the bait was present in the area.
As for lures and techniques I have caught them on reaction baits (rip baits, crank baits), and mini jigs. I have sen them takne trolling but not as much as just plain lure fishing.

Cartman
01-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Boater13, I used to fish Hesperia, and I couldn't help catching wipers even when I didn't want to. Sometimes it was like I could hardly throw a nightcrawler out there without catching one. Of course, Hesperia is a small shallow lake which probably concentrates the population, but I was fishing on the bottom with nightcrawlers for cats, not wipers.

Cartman

catfish 17
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
what about the bait and wait way?what kind of bait can i put?and do they bite fast?if i go i will be fishing from shore.

VineAssist
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Only real bait and wait technique I have seen them taken on, was by accident fishing for catfish! I would imagine the striper guys that have techniques for fishing chovies would do well but I dont know about that either. I have done that at Silverwood with a split shot and chovie but not here. Like I said earlier fishing a reaction bait or a mini jig would be a lot more productive.
Furthermore we are closing the area we are stocking the fish at!

MAVERICK27
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
so....all the hype and we cant even fish that area??????? WAHHHHH?

Seņor.Chilax
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
WOWOWO!!! CLOSING THE AREA? thats not right.:mad:

Thisfool
01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
WOWOWO!!! CLOSING THE AREA? thats not right.:mad:

its probly to let them spread out or somthing i would think and i hope it dosent mess up my trout fishing spot

Rooster
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Furthermore we are closing the area we are stocking the fish at!
Love the idea, Might be a good idea to try for the trout tourneys if ya stock the night before.

Seņor.Chilax
01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
its probly to let them spread out or somthing i would think and i hope it dosent mess up my trout fishing spot

Thats true, but just let us know before getting us all excited, you know what i mean? But its all good, lets go get some 'trucha' tomorrow! YEYAH!