PDA

View Full Version : mojave loses horse shoe lake!!!!!!!!

jumpman
01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Some of you might know this by now but out of city park lakes my favorite spot is horse shoe lake at mojave narrows. Today me warrenj and watrfreak went there to hit up some after ran action. I was excited so i got to the park an hour early. Then it happened, at the gate they told me the worst news...... horse shoe lake had been floded so bad that it broke the damn. They said all the fish just floped on land waiting to be a vultures dinner. The ranger said it was sad that he could do nothing, one catfish he saw was about 8 lbs. The park is going to try to get the city to cough up the money to fix it all though we know how budgets are on our parks. Even if it gets fixed it will never fish the same, pockets,depth, well everything.

BUMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jumpman
01-24-2010, 12:55 AM
sorry my contacts are out so spelling sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cartman
01-24-2010, 08:17 AM
That is terrible news. I was planning a trip to Mojave Narrows next Friday. What an absolute bummer. Wow.

tenderloin
01-24-2010, 02:14 PM
There are numerous ponds below that area. Many of the fish made it safely.......

jumpman
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi tenderloin,
i am not sure what these ponds are that you speak of. Maybe i am not opening my eyes enough. I need to go and look again but as far as i know there was the two lakes and other than that some streams. I do know however most fish did not make it safetly. I talked to three rangers wich all told me the saw them all flopping, what a bummer. You still are not able to walk in that area so i am not sure what the aftermath looks like myself. the lake used to reach 18 feet but now if they repair the damn they will have to tractor it as well, it would only reach 6 feet depth. they are hoping to have it repaired by the time of the tourny and because they lost the fish they will stock 3000 lbs. And to bring people in they will do another 3000 at pelican. they also made changes to pelican to make more room on the leake for more anglers.

jason "JM"

tenderloin
01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Unless the area changed drastically since a few years ago, there are numerous ponds just north of the park where the cows roam. I have fished that area many times over the past 30 years for bass. On the north west side of Horseshoe the water drains out into a stream. Where does it go? It fills up the ponds and marshland...or at least it use to. I am not sure they still let you back there OR if the ponds are still there, but they were there and that is why I made my comment.

Also the lake was not drained.There is still water in Horseshoe. Looking at the pictures I posted you can see what was lost at the dam.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?42423-Dam-breaks-at-Mojave-Narrows-Regional-Park

BTW look it up on Google Earth to see what is back there

jumpman
01-24-2010, 04:03 PM
hey tenderloin,
I know where you are talking about, it is north of horseshoe by about 50 - 80 feet. I have always wanted to fish that area but it is now gated off. Infact the end of horse shoe right next to it is where i have always had my luck =(. I am going to look at the link and google earth and see if i am missing anything else for when i go back..... I am really bummed on this though.
JM

jumpman
01-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh and as far as water loss i am going by what the rangers and state workers informed me....... not sure but this is what they said.
JM

TEAM CASTIN
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
WHAT !!!! O MY GOD,THATS THW WORST NEWS OF THE YEAR ! NOW PELICAN IS GUNA BE CROWDED..WHEN DO YOU THINK ITS GUNA BE FIXED ?

:Confused:

oscarbassman
02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
WHAT !!!! O MY GOD,THATS THW WORST NEWS OF THE YEAR ! NOW PELICAN IS GUNA BE CROWDED..WHEN DO YOU THINK ITS GUNA BE FIXED ?

\

:Confused:

I talked to danno, the park ranger, they have already started to fix the lake. He said it would be done in about a year.. pelican is going to be packed now, dont even bother!

usmcfisherman
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
the city is forken money over<and the states using some emergency funds to fix the lake< there gonna dredge the lake and clean it so its gonna be better and the stocking trout,cats and some other fish that were new and old.