PDA

View Full Version : Friday 22nd Private Lake Report

Alexi
01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Well fortunately I have a first report to share with everyone. Unfortunately, it is from a private lake in Ventura. I say unfortunately because my friend who owns the property did not want anyone to just "show up" and fish. The lake is on property that is accessable only by 4x4 and sits WWAAAYY back into the property. Again, I asked if I could post the location but he said no so I had to respect that. But I can say that a few lures were working especially well.

So, first report!

Target Species: LMB, SMB, Cats
Tackle: Light spin outfit, 6lb test, med-H rod

Showed up to his lake with low-hopes due to the weather. Water was VERY cold so I assumed the fish were holding extra deep and with this weather we have been having, I wasn't even sure if the fish would want to come out and play. Started at 4am. EARLY! Soaked for some cats the first 2 hours for nada just for fun and to get our other gear ready. Then it started to rain around 6ish. Pulled out the Grundens gear and got ready for a downpour but lukily just drizzle. Anyway, we started to focus on the bass wich at the time was a crapshot. Big area of reeds sparked our interest but after 20 mins we moved on. Located a dropoff with some structure just before the drop. Decided to throw a spinner.....lol....why not? Yellow/white 3/8 colorado. SLAM! I mean SLAM! Had to have been 1/2 way through my first retrieve a LMB just ripped up the lure and we were on! I'll tell you, fishing light tackle is fun, and this little 2lb bass felt like 10 on this gear!:EyePop: Got him to the boat, C+R, and cast again. This time my friend got hit on a top water Rapala minow. After our skunkbusters:Cool:, It was pretty steady fishing for about 15 minutes. Could have been the same 5 fish as they were all around 2lbs. but the skunks were off! We both got 6!! Most ever for me in the rain!! These fish were just chewin the top water lure presentations. After the mad topwater action it kind of shut off. I really wanted to practice small bucktail and finesse jigging techniques because I need to get better but it started raining a little harder so we called it a day.

I may take a look at the Lagoon tomorrow with my kayak. Sundays seem to be my skunk days though...haha

*I know there are internet tough guys out there who are not going to like "private lake" reports. My suggestion: don't whine. Get your gear and just go fishing*

Rakie
01-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice report man !

I really wish I could head out somewhere and fish a true private lake sometime... Non ninja... Would be a pleasure to go somewhere that isn't overfished, every time I catch a fishing show I wonder how many lures that bass had seen, odds are a hell of a lot less than the bass in our areas!

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
nice report non the less alex, i am sure with the clues provided this lake will be ninjaed by tonite..lol it dosent take much, just name it yourself...goodtimes bro and wtg on the report..

Team Santana
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
nice report non the less alex, i am sure with the clues provided this lake will be ninjaed by tonite..lol it dosent take much, just name it yourself...goodtimes bro and wtg on the report..

lol google maps type in ventura.... searching searching.... Found it! haha jk nice report and way to go on the bass