PDA

View Full Version : Quail Lake??

SoCalB3AST
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
i have only been there once didnt fish but every one i talk to say there is some huge fish in there, it can produce, an so on if this is true then how come no one ever fishes quail lake??? just curious on wut other people think??:LOL:

tpfishnfool
01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Quail has some big stripers and cats. Also holds a good population of lmb, gills and some crappie and sculpin. Years ago there was some american chad but havent seen any in 15 yrs. Weather plays a big part to success and no success. Quail is windy 8 days out of 10. But if you put in the time you will get bit.
Full moon summer nights are a good bet and late/early other months will produce. there was a 50lb striper rumored to be caught there 20+ years ago but thats just rumor.
Little fishing presure except the parking lot and inlet areas insure a good fishery. The usual baits and lures work. Liver better than mackrel and chovies for cats and stripers. Crawlers and plastics work well for the lmb.
FYI

Jimbow
01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Well kept secret.....I always catch loads of LMB while casting for stripers. No crowds and plenty of fish if you want to take the time to find them.

sawoobley
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I'll plan on hitting it up in March along with the duct in that area. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it a good place for float tubing or do you need a boat?

Fire Ball
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I'll plan on hitting it up in March along with the duct in that area. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it a good place for float tubing or do you need a boat?

Only shore fishing is allowed there.

klymons
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
i have only been there once didnt fish but every one i talk to say there is some huge fish in there, it can produce, an so on if this is true then how come no one ever fishes quail lake??? just curious on wut other people think??:LOL:

How many times have I skunked at Quail? Just say, way too many times. I was lured there by stories of submarine-sized stripers and catfish big enough to bite off your arm. My only catch was a dink LMB so small I had to break out a magnifying glass just to see it! My question to everyone out there: Has anyone ever seen verifiable photos of catches made at Quail Lake? Not just idle rumors and truth-spinning, but actual fish? As for me, I plan on wasting a whole tank of gas to chug on up the hill--passing up two "real" lakes, Castaic & Pyramid,--and spending a whole day fishing without a single bite precisely on the 12th of Never.

sawoobley
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
kylmons you are absolutely correct :EyePop:. I just spent some time on google and other forums and I have read :Skunk: report after :Skunk: report after :Skunk: report at Quail Lake. It seems that most of the fish that are landed there

are fair size catfish. I read a report of one small striper and someone that reeled in someone else's hooked huge fish but they

had to cast way-y-y-y- out into the lake to get it, but it got away. Another person said they saw huge fish jumping out 2-3x

farther than they could cast. Several people from this forum discussed the lake in other forums but the BIG fish reports are all

hearsay from what I can tell :Rolls Eyes:.

The fact that you cannot float tube out there is a bit unfortunate. If I ever get a good lightweight surfcasting setup going then

I might give the lake a try if I can get my casting to 100+ yards. That way I would be able to fish where others could not.

Since I have other priorities right now I think I stick with some of the other lakes. Oh, well... :My Two Cents:

:Cool:

Bassnman Mike
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
How many times have I skunked at Quail? Just say, way too many times. I was lured there by stories of submarine-sized stripers and catfish big enough to bite off your arm. My only catch was a dink LMB so small I had to break out a magnifying glass just to see it! My question to everyone out there: Has anyone ever seen verifiable photos of catches made at Quail Lake? Not just idle rumors and truth-spinning, but actual fish? As for me, I plan on wasting a whole tank of gas to chug on up the hill--passing up two "real" lakes, Castaic & Pyramid,--and spending a whole day fishing without a single bite precisely on the 12th of Never.

I have personally witnessed striper caught there even though I myself have never caught any. One day when going home from Lake Pyramid I pulled into the parking lot to "Recycle" some Gatorade. A gentleman approached me and complimented my boat and asked me where I'm heading to, to which I said I was going home from Pyramid. He asked me how I did and I told him good. I asked him how he did and he said great. He opened a big ice chest with some big stripers in it, they were at least 10 pounds and there were 5 of them. He said that he, his wife and son caught them on chovies but didnt say where. Yes they had their licenses on. I have tried fishing there several times since that day for a big fat zero, nada, nothing.

fishfinder
01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Quail has some big stripers and cats. Also holds a good population of lmb, gills and some crappie and sculpin. Years ago there was some american chad but havent seen any in 15 yrs. Weather plays a big part to success and no success. Quail is windy 8 days out of 10. But if you put in the time you will get bit.
Full moon summer nights are a good bet and late/early other months will produce. there was a 50lb striper rumored to be caught there 20+ years ago but thats just rumor.
Little fishing presure except the parking lot and inlet areas insure a good fishery. The usual baits and lures work. Liver better than mackrel and chovies for cats and stripers. Crawlers and plastics work well for the lmb.
FYI

i have seen the picture of the 50+ lb striper caught there. it was aprox. 20 years ago or so. it was in W.O.N. and claimed it was the lake record. I have seen huge striper boils many years ago on the south side of the island. as for those 10 lbers caught i would not be surprised if those were caught below the lake on the other side of the road in the aquaduct. i have fished there many years ago, and we caught a fish every cast, and i have seen others walking up from there with huge stringers of fish. highly illegal though. and they only bite when the water is running there.