PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin Tuna in the Surf

Liteliner
01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Read this on another forum. Thought some of you would be interested. 30-50# bluefin from the surf.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/22/beachcomber-grabs-bluefins-stormy-surf/

Fire Ball
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Now that is just awesome!!

BIGRED KILLA
01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
I would KILL them all and make some SUSHI.

murrieta angler
01-22-2010, 05:25 PM
That would just be awesome to come across all that dinner.

sansou
01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Same thing happened last year...

Fishbones
01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
what are waiting for ....geez ....lets go.....

Bradakas
01-22-2010, 06:43 PM
what pattern LC should I throw for bluefin? hahha

vanillagurilla
01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
what pattern LC should I throw for bluefin? hahha

the one with the most hooks lol. jK

victor101
01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
the one with the most hooks lol. jK

Correction.... The one with the Biggest hooks. LC with 10/0 trebbles LOL

Fishbones
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
...........so what color LC are we using?????? size 10/0 hooks and all.....im ready.....

DockRat
01-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Wasn't the ones last year believed to have been tuna from the tuna pens ?
DR

sansou
01-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Wasn't the ones last year believed to have been tuna from the tuna pens ?
DR

You think these guys are NOT from the pens? LOL!!!

Bass Buddy07
01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Thats fukin awesome
**** if that happen to me i dont need to pay to go on a 5 day trip when
i can jus get free tuna on shore

jumpman
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I am jealous after readin this. I didnt get a chance to tuna fish this past season and i am waiting for the next hit......i would have loved to be there

flytyingreloader
01-25-2010, 05:48 AM
El Nino pays more dividends. That some fine eating, there.

deanhall32
01-25-2010, 08:00 AM

It's happened more than a couple of times.. Just didn't get the publicity like this time.

DockRat
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Check out the pics this guy took on his website below! DR

Jerod Harris Photographer

http://jerodharris.wordpress.com/

I received a frantic phone call from a friend who was out of breath, screaming into the phone. “WFO bluefin tuna washing ashore in IB right now!!!” My first thought was that this was a cruel joke being played on me. I decided to check it out on teh internets and sure enough the headline picture on Signonsandiego.com was a picture of a guy holding a 50lb Bluefin Tuna on the beach. All I could think was the tuna pens at the Coronado Islands west of Tijuana broke open in the large storm surf and the tuna got out and were confused by the sloppy seas. I immediately grabbed my phone and called my buddy Robert Benson up. The conversation went something like this..

Me: (Phone ringing) Robert, where are you?

Rob: In Point Loma why?

Me: 50lb Bluefin Tuna washing ashore in IB right now!!!!!!! LETS GO!!!!

Rob: Are you kidding?!?!

Me: NO BRO!! This is the real deal!!! LETS GOOO!!!!

Rob: I’m pulling over now where can you meet me?!

I threw on my xtra tuff rain boots and tore out of my apartment and hauled *** towards where Robert was waiting. On the way down I confirmed the location with my friend and made sure this wasn’t a dream by repeatedly pinching myself. I came flying down Kettner Blvd and swooped Robert up, put the pedal to the metal and beat feet for the Silver Strand state park. We pulled into the parking lot and we’re the nly ones there. Great success!!! At this point my heart rate was already through the roof, I was having a hard time breathing.

We walked out of the parking lot and made a hard left towards the Navy Radar/Communications array that separates Imperial Beach from the Silver Strand and Coronado. As we were walking along the beach both of our eyes scanning the surf line looking for signs of tuna. I started to think out loud and caught myself saying that this was bullsh*t, there’s no way Bluefin Tuna were washing up on the beach. I started to think that i’d been had. April fools in January. I wouldn’t put it past my friends… Right about then I spotted some birds hovering over a spot in the surf. Hrmmm, very interesting. Birds usually hover over an area when there’s food around. Thats when I saw it. The classic swirling effect of the water in the wake behind a tuna. I’d seen it 100 times before only I was offshore, not on the beach.

I broke out into a sprint with Robert close behind and ran straight into the stormy surf, arms stretched out in kill mode. By the time I reached the tuna water was already flooding my Xtra Tuff rain boots but I could careless. I had 1 thing on my mind.

My first attempt I came up empty handed. The tuna still had a little fight left and disappeared. I looked back at Robert who was snapping away with his camera. Next thing I know the tuna popped up right under my feet. It was almost like he was giving up. I reached down and grabbed his tail and slid my left hand into his gills. The fight was on.. I pulled the tuna out of the water and bear hugged him close to my chest all while his tail was thumping violently. He wasn’t green but he certainly wasn’t giving up without a fight.

Once I had the tuna on the beach reality set in. I had just caught a 50lb Bluefin Tuna with my barehands in the surf. Thats what cavemen used to do. I couldn’t believe it. I was in total shock. I checked the tuna for puncture wounds and signs that he was bleeding out and found none. It appeared to be in good condition with some “rope burn” from when it escaped from the tuna pen some 10 miles away in Baja California, Mexico.

As we were walking up the beach I could see quite a few cars in the parking lot and people were pulled over along the side of the road watching us drag this behemoth up the beach. The word was out.. Thank god Robert had his camera with him because I don’t think I would have believed myself had I told this story to my buddies.

Anyways, enjoy the pictures.

-Jerod

P.S. It tasted better than any Bluefin Tuna I have ever had before.

juan79123
01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi guys about a year ago I posted about tuna on the seal beach pier and all hell broke loose I was called a lair and that I made it all all up they deleted the thread now it is posted on WON paper with pictures and a full story so there I feel justified.

Troutman65
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Sweety. That would be totally cool to just " Cave Man Style " them Blue Fin Tuna .

sansou
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi guys about a year ago I posted about tuna on the seal beach pier and all hell broke loose I was called a lair and that I made it all all up they deleted the thread now it is posted on WON paper with pictures and a full story so there I feel justified.

I remember that. It was a funny thread until people started calling you some "choice" words. THEN the thread got deleted.