PDA

View Full Version : Hesperia Duct

M@M
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM
FRIDAY

Very, very muddy looking water. No flow. Decided not to fish.There was actually a lite snow 7:30am. Has anyone seen the duct like this before? Is it common after a hard rain and how does this affect the fish. ...Also what's up with this website...guess I'll have to get use to the change.huh?:Smile:

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
YOU MUST FISH !......then....FISH MORE....

P.S.

Fish it !

"If you fish it.....they will come !" (said in a Field of dreams tone !)

No way to tell what's up w/o pounding it !

Remember your last hookup.....

Repeat....Repeat ! Go hammer 'em buddy

Me thinks I'll have to do the same REAL SOON !

Good luck

seal
01-23-2010, 09:47 AM
No offense Gary but if you saw how brown that water is in the Hesperia area you would'nt fish either. I saw the pics of Yolo's and that water isn't nearly as stained. The water was completely brown, I checked back again last night and it looked like it might be clearing just a little but still browner than the desert surrounding it.

yolo
01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
It's pretty murky here too but it seems to be finally moving some. I don't know if it's murky from finally moving it or if it's all from the rain and run off? Is the water still down out there Seal? It has remained fairly consistent here. Are you getting any flow? We had flow yesterday around 10am and there was some flow this morning. I don't know if it flowed all night? It might?

seal
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
The water level was up but hard to gauge flow because of 40 mph winds blowing against it. It was just all whipped up! Funny Silverwood is lower than I have ever seen it, and is continuing to get lower, so if water is running into Silverwood it's running out at a quicker pace. I really think they lowered Silverwood in anticipation of the rain, they probably didn't want the Mohave to overflow it's banks. I asked a worker out there yesterday, he didn't know why it was so low but said it was the lowest he had ever seen, he did say DWR doesn't tell them anything.

yolo
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
It is lower for inspection and repairs. Bank on it.

seal
01-25-2010, 08:23 AM
You are correct once again Yolo! I will never doubt you again. Supposedly they have been working on the outlet at Silverwood, water was supposed to start flowing again yesterday, that should mean the Duct will be running big time this week.

yolo
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I heard water was moving pretty good last night to this morning. Working all week so no fishing for me. Just when it should get better, I can't go. Work is more important though.

M@M
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
MONDAY

Got out a little late today. Fished last section(off Santa Fe) Water looked much better today. Stained but not thick brown like a few days ago.. No flow. Water level normal.Was only there from approx. 10:30-1pm. No bites. Couldn't stay long but felt good to get out for a while. Nice day.
The hunt continues..

seal
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Got out a little late today. Fished last section(off Santa Fe) Water looked much better today. Stained but not thick brown like a few days ago.. No flow. Water level normal.Was only there from approx. 10:30-1pm. No bites. Couldn't stay long but felt good to get out for a while. Nice day.
The hunt continues..

No flow? Damn sounds like Silverwood is still going to be low. They need to get a consistent level out there, the fish gotta be all screwed up.

M@M
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
No flow? Damn sounds like Silverwood is still going to be low. They need to get a consistent level out there, the fish gotta be all screwed up.

What fish???Could there be more.:Tired: :Smile:..........Oh, you mean the Silverwood fish. I'm a little slow sometimes.

M@M
01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
TUESDAY

Went back today after dropping son off at school 7:10 . Fished 8am-1pm from siphon to about 1/4 mi from Las Flores Rd. bridge and back.Using Rat L Traps, Bucktails,and Storm sculptin swimbait.... Nothing...water looks better .. water can look like it's flowing in either direction depending on breeze or wind. BUT IT'S NOT... at least not when I'm there. I haven't seen it flow for a long time. Skies were looking good with the clouds, sea gulls and ravens.. Wind picked up a little around noon. I'd had enough :Beat Stick:... Left at 1pm to go pickup son from school......... The Duct sucks!:Smile:

M@M
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
SATURDAY

Wouldn't have much time but decided to Hit the duct at Farmington Rd (Hesperia) after work approx 4:30pm as I was fishing at siphon(where it goes underground) I heard it kick on (5:05pm) water started churning and started to suck the water in. I decided to move to the next siphon off Sante Fe Rd.(where it comes back up and out) Fished to 6pm.Water moving fairly fast. Conditions could of been better.:Neutral: Caught a lot of veggies. Algae was so thick on line it was clogging up top guide.Had to keep picking it off. Picking grass off lure almost every cast. Couldn't see well (moon behind clouds) So decided to leave. Had to get home to make dinner for son ( I'm a single dad) and it wouldn't be striper tonight!. The hunt continues..........

M@M
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM
SUNDAY

:No Pity:Another tough day at Hesperia duct. Started at 6am at the I-15 then Maple/ Cottonwood section, Ranchero,Farmington, ended at Santa Fe left at 11:30am. Throwing Mag Traps and Storm Wild eye's. Only thing I caught was a couple other lines tangled in vegatation. Pulled them out. Yes Yolo they were LOADED with tiny shrimp.No flow while I was there today. Ordering some Mag Traps like the one I got lucky on. Maybe I will get lucky again.

diamondbear
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Can't say your not TRYING , keep at it thats how you learn a area of water . Good luck next time .

Fishbones
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
talk about addicted...M@M you are the angler of the month in my books...the time and work youve been putting in is amazing.. its funny cuz ive been doin some research and every time im checking at a spot i look up and M@M just posted a report about it.. . im lookin foward to get up there first time tomorrow..tryin to get a couple FNN'ers to meet up ...more anglers=more water coverage=more chances....Goodluck....fishbones

yolo
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
SUNDAY

:No Pity:Another tough day at Hesperia duct. Started at 6am at the I-15 then Maple/ Cottonwood section, Ranchero,Farmington, ended at Santa Fe left at 11:30am. Throwing Mag Traps and Storm Wild eye's. Only thing I caught was a couple other lines tangled in vegatation. Pulled them out. Yes Yolo they were LOADED with tiny shrimp.No flow while I was there today. Ordering some Mag Traps like the one I got lucky on. Maybe I will get lucky again.
Imagine that. Same shrimp we have, you have. Kind of like the stripers we have you too have :)

M@M
01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
talk about addicted...M@M you are the angler of the month in my books...the time and work youve been putting in is amazing.. its funny cuz ive been doin some research and every time im checking at a spot i look up and M@M just posted a report about it.. . im lookin foward to get up there first time tomorrow..tryin to get a couple FNN'ers to meet up ...more anglers=more water coverage=more chances....Goodluck....fishbones

Yeah I'm fishing a lot but sure not catching a lot. Most the time I feel I'm "just spinning my reels" only been fishing since last March-April. Let me know whenever your in the area. I'm usually ready to go. I'll pm you my number.

Imagine that. Same shrimp we have, you have. Kind of like the stripers we have you too have :)
Same kind of skills you have WE DON"T HAVE...LOL

Can't say your not TRYING , keep at it thats how you learn a area of water . Good luck next time .
Thanks , and it's a loooooooong area of water:Smile: and I need all the luck I can get!!!

Nessie Hunter
02-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Man M@M we have walked on a lot of the same ground.....

Stay on them, they are there!!!

M@M
02-01-2010, 05:27 PM
MONDAY

Didn't plan on going to fish today but found myself close to the duct at Farmington with an hour and a half(noon-1:30pm) to kill so why not.
Water level was definitely high, no flow and again no luck. Curious to see what happens when my new Mag traps arrive.( I've got to have hope:Smile:)
Anyone else fishing the duct around here?? Just because I don't catch much doesn't mean you won't. I've never even used lures before I started fishing here. I need some one to show me there are more fish in here! It's free, no crowds, open 24/7, easy to get to, what more could you want? It's not like we haven't ever got skunked at other places...right?? AND catching a NICE striped bass?...It's ..it's...Let's just say It's a GOOD TIME!!.........................the hunt continues:Smile:!

Man M@M we have walked on a lot of the same ground.....

Stay on them, they are there!!!

Thanks Bro! I figure I might as well keep at it while I can.

Fishbones
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
We will fish very soon M@M for sure.....and kill em...

Astrolux
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm down to meet up and fish with ya man. My union just got locked out Sunday. So unemployment and fishing will go hand in hand now. Ill be free just about 24/7. Let me know.

M@M
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
We will fish very soon M@M for sure.....and kill em...
And kill em. Man, I like that attitude

I'm down to meet up and fish with ya man. My union just got locked out Sunday. So unemployment and fishing will go hand in hand now. Ill be free just about 24/7. Let me know.
That's why I've had so much time to fish (unemployment). Sitting around will drive you crazy. I guess it's true. My friends think I'm crazy for fishing the Duct:Smile:

Deyymonayy
02-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Dang you guys are more consistent with fishing and with reports on the duct then any other sources I know. I definitely want to get out and fish the duct with you guys or at least get out there and try it myself sometime

M@M
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Wednesday

No flow and No love again today. Fished(Santa Fe) approx. 8am- 11:30?..... :Neutral:It's hard work not catching anything ::Dead Horse: My friends may be right.

Nice meeting you Astrolux. I was really hoping you'd catch one.

Astrolux
02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Don't worry M@M we'll get em. I'm thinking were gonna have to make a trip north. Good fishing with ya.

M@M
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
MONDAY 2/8/10
Was supposed to be cold today??...but it was a BEAUTIFUL DAY...
Fished 8am-1pm off Santa Fe. No flow .Water OK considering all the rain the other day.
Caught& released a catfish ( approx. 2lbs) on bait and wait pole (sardines).
Using chrome&blue Rat L Trap most of the day..... Hook-up?? ......had something....not pulling back....damn! ......it was someones old pole and reel...nothing that could be salvaged ..ha ha .....definitely been in the water a long, long time....2 lures snagged and lost today...Good news was the Rat L Traps I ordered were here today when I got home........the hunt continues:Neutral:

M@M
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/first%20duct%20striper/FIRSTDUCTSTRIPER.jpg I'm still learning how to post pics... If this worked this is the Striper I caught out of Hesperia duct 1/13/10 ...Why isn't anyone else fishing here????....16lbs approx. 33-34 in....this is why I keep going back!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!.....................what do you know ,the picture actually showed ..............Hey Bill (JIG GUY) I finally got it!:Smile:

Now I have to learn how to make them smaller.........YIKES!!! ...., I'm such a moron..It's seems I'm slow learning how to catch fish and learning
how to work this damn computer!!:Confused:

sawoobley
02-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Awesome fish. :EyePop: Fishing in an area that has no water flow is tough at the duct. I ordered a few KPN lures through this site and should be receiving them real soon. I'll give Hesperia another try for sure. :Wink: I want to take an overnight trip up north along the 5 freeway to fish the duct but that will be after the rain subsides.

I do not know if I could handle loosing a KPN lure :Bawling: let alone two in one day :Crying: I did loose one super fluke when fishing the duct last time but they dirt cheap.

I reeeeeally wish I lived closer to the duct. :Cool:

FISHINGBEE
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey M@M im not far from you. I have fished the Duct a handful of times. The only thing i caught , Tule Perch
crawdad. I heard Stripers crashing on perch all night. Saw few nice size floating dead catfish. I have not gotten the chance to put in some time. If you need a buddy i will tag along give me a PM. Nice striper by the way.

FISHINGBEE

Jig-Guy
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi M@M, thats neat you were able to get this great fish picture posted that we took over at my house. I still can't get over the head and tail sticking out of your cooler:EyePop:. Congrat's again, man you deserve this catch with all the hard work you have put in fishing the duct. There must be more of these guys in the duct and you will get them as hard as you fish.

TL

Jig-Guy/Bill

M@M
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/FIRSTDUCTSTRIPER16LBS006.jpg Hey Bill. Here's a pic... I'm still learning and practicing how to post pictures. Be patient with the old guys! Thanks, Mike:Smile:

Joshua W
02-17-2010, 06:56 PM
nice pic! that guys a beast..