PDA

View Full Version : Tricks to cover alot of water from shore

Fishbones
01-21-2010, 04:02 PM
The first one is done with a little help from mother nature"wind" and is simple and consists of a spare spool of line, a clip on swivel and a paper plate.
Simply puncture a small hole on the paper plates edge as far in as possible then clip on the swivel and tie to a spare spool.
Next you place the plate in the water with your choice of bait or lure on it and let the wind take your bait-lure across the lake as far as you want it to go by removing line with your hand from your pole-reel and from the spare spool giving slack for the plate to be carried away by the wind.
Then simply pull your lure off the plate then retrieve the plate and fish away..

The second one is really easy and only requires that it be done at a lakes bend and that there is open shoreline around you.
Find a spot on the shoreline that is clear of brush and place your bait or lure on the ground with the line going into the water then simply walk the lakes bend while free spooling line into the water along the shore as you walk untill you are on the opposite side of the lake then raise your rod and with a few good swings the slack of line along the shoreline will straighten out and bait or lure will be pulled into the water with your retrieve going across parts of the lake you could not cast to and that then also puts your bait or lure in deeper unfished water.
GOODLUCK......FISHBONES

sawoobley
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I really like the first idea. I would be interested to try it with a styrofoam plate. I would just have to make sure I retrieve it.

Another idea is to get into distance casting. I have dreamed about this and while not the most practical it does sound fun, in a way. If you use lures 3/4 to 3 oz you could get a good surf casting rod (10-11') with a spinning reel (i.e. http://breakawayusa.com/shop/rods.htm). The reel has a longer spool (to reduce the depth of line released from the spool) and shorter spool lip than regular ones (to reduce friction). I believe it is best to use heavy braided or firewire line as the diameter is much smaller than mono (match the diameter of the mono you would have used). Attach a Breakaway Cannon to keep the bail from closing while casting and a finger guard to hold the line while casting. There are the aerodynamics of the lure to consider, etc. Finally, you must learn the proper casting techniques (i.e. the overhead cast, off the ground cast, ground cast, pendulum cast, Hatteras cast, etc.) Achieving casts of 100-150 yards is not uncommon with practice. You basically need to find a field to practice on and measure your distance.

For example:

- Daiwa Tournament SS Spinning Reel
- Shimano Sustain® FE Spinning Reel
- Daiwa Emcast Plus
* Daiwa Emblem Pro Spinning Reels *

If you are going to use heavier lures in the 3-5 or 4-8oz range (which seems unlikely for freshwater, at least to me) you would use a conventional casting reel with a good 12-13' surf casting rod (i.e. http://breakawayusa.com/shop/rods.htm) loaded with mono line. With this setup a cast of 150+ yards could easily be achieved and 200 yards is also within the realm of reality.

Reel:

- Penn 525Mag (You could change out the stainless steel bearings for special ceramic bearings to increase distance).

Apparently this is a sport in and of itself on the east coast and south around Texas and Florida. I have not heard much about it in southern California. The only thing I can think of is that most of our fish in the ocean must be closer to shore and we do not have as many of the big fish between 100-250 yards from shore.

This may not be practical but I like to think of new ways to push the limits.

Since many of us use spinning reels already why not get one that is a little more gear towards a longer cast such as the Daiwa Tournament SS Spinning Reel which is fairly inexpensive yet rugged instead of the reels that are short with a huge lip on them?

There is a forum dedicated to this subject (distance casting):
http://pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Anyways, back to our regular programming...:Cool:

Someday.... Someday....

----------------

Of course you could just get a float tube...

Rakie
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
They all sounds fine, but just to let you know a lot of potential concerned citizens would be pretty upset to see somebody fishing with paper plates or Styrofoam plates. I know I'd have to give it a 2nd look to make sure nothing bad was going on, maybe even approach and ask..

I might suggest using a small balloon, should be the same effects if you're fishing off the wind, the plate would be better if you could get it partially submerged for fishing current.

Just an idea,
~Rakie

tpfishnfool
01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Balloons work great with a paper clip.

Hometown
01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
They all sounds fine, but just to let you know a lot of potential concerned citizens would be pretty upset to see somebody fishing with paper plates or Styrofoam plates. I know I'd have to give it a 2nd look to make sure nothing bad was going on, maybe even approach and ask..

I might suggest using a small balloon, should be the same effects if you're fishing off the wind, the plate would be better if you could get it partially submerged for fishing current.

Just an idea,
~Rakie

ballons sounds good

Fishbones
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
So after a little R&D i came up with... a frisbee, its thickness allows for a 1/8" hole to be drilled that the swivel will lock to and that will keep it safely from the bottom unlike a plate where it could rip off or it doesnt look like your throwing trash in the water.
The reason im using a frisbee is because you can put a wide range of things on it from flyline baits and plastics or light lures like a crappie jig or rooster tail.
The ballon idea sounds like it would have problems like you couldnt use anything floating like a rapala cuz it would pop it and if the ballon would twist in its journey it might tangle the lines and my opinion is the paper clip would most likely have release issues as well.

pasadenafishin
01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
ive used a potato cannon to cast bait FAR (in massachusetts) you put the bait into this little capsul. load it up open your bail and "cast away" easy 200 yards

Cartman
01-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I saw some guy at Glen Helen catch one using a remote controled toy boat. I was wondering, is that legal? Does it count as a second rod on your stamp?

Fishbones
01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I saw some guy at Glen Helen catch one using a remote controled toy boat. I was wondering, is that legal? Does it count as a second rod on your stamp?

there are alot of different r/c fishing boats out there starting from $30.00 to $2,000 dollars and i found it cheaper and better to build my own and will soon....
...im currently purchasing parts to build a 18" R/C boat with a Humminbird RF25 built in and outrigger pole with release clip to troll with....i cant wait to have all the parts and start the build..

Mojave River Angler
01-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, as with many other things in CA, the potato canon (Spud Gun) is illegal. Too bad. It really is a fun idea.

fishfinder
02-03-2010, 12:00 AM

Sorry the remote control boat is illegal.
Fishing.
(a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any fish in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote fishing.
(b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote fishing site for the purpose of taking any fish from or within this state.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote fishing" means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any
other weapon capable of killing or injuring any fish, for the purposes of taking any fish.
(d) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote fishing site" means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking fish

Fishbones
02-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Does that include a Humminbird SmartCast RF25?

sawoobley
02-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Sorry the remote control boat is illegal.
Fishing.
(a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any fish in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote fishing.
(b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote fishing site for the purpose of taking any fish from or within this state.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote fishing" means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any
other weapon capable of killing or injuring any fish, for the purposes of taking any fish.
(d) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote fishing site" means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking fish

The remote control boat is NOT illegal according to my interpretation of the law. The purpose of this law is to give fish a fair chance at not being caught. This means not fishing from a remote site (over the internet). It also means not using a weapon to unfairly give you the advantage in hunting the fish (weapon meaning firearm, bow and arrow, spear or harpoon).

When you use a remote control boat it takes your line out and drops your lure at a distance further from the shore than you could cast. This same thing could be accomplished with a motor boat or a float tube. The fish still has the option to take the bait or not. Computer assisted remote fishing refers to you fishing an area without you actually being there.

There use to be a kid who sold these boats for ~$150 on eBay and he modified the humminbird smartcast system to achieve greater ranges.

:Cool:

Fishbones
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Sawoobley: thanks for the info...when i read it..i also kinda got the same interpretation...but i will still look into it.....and continue to build my boat either way....it will just be a ninja r/c fishing boat...LOL

DockRat
02-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately, as with many other things in CA, the potato canon (Spud Gun) is illegal. Too bad. It really is a fun idea.

Depends on what kind of Potato Gun. The normal ones useing fuel (quick start, hairspray ect) is illegal.

But if you build one that is powered by compressed air your ok.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc216/stevenarroyo/IMG00052.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/sniperpunkvasili7769/potato_gun_plans.jpg

DR

Beeracuda211
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
If everyone used this method the lakes would be trashed lol

Fishbones
02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
If everyone used this method the lakes would be trashed lol

which method?

smokehound
02-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I like to hook a bird gently in the arse, then wait for him to swim the the middle of the lake, and yank the hook out.

:lol:

sumojo
10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
i was thinking a sling shot could get it out there a ways . i think i will try it and see.

exfactor
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM
big cast a bubble works good, can float, or sink, you can add water for a lonnnnnng cast, don,t need a second reel, works great. my 02