PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Wed - Phenomenal People & 30 lbs of Tailwalkers!!

Ultralight
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, finally attended my first Team 57 event at today’s Ruby Wed. I wanted to post grateful thanks here for a great introduction. Rather than a post about fishing, this is really a post about GREAT PEOPLE! (Though in other threads, you can see that the fishing was good.)

I wasn’t expecting to catch too many fish as I’m not familiar with SARL, although I was hoping not to get skunked. The trip, for me, was more about meeting some people from this forum.

First, thanks to Dana for hosting this. Arrived at 5am and registration was on – ended up chatting with Dana and his sweetie, Donna, for about 15 minutes. Enjoyed the easy conversation, reflecting the easygoing tone that is also here on this forum. The lunch, free cap, and subsequent conversations are all appreciated. You went the extra mile to get me my shirt. Oh, and the fact that Dana stocked, in addition to SARL’s normal stocking, almost another thousand lbs of trout in Chris’ Pond on Tuesday evening for this event.

Then it was off to fishing at 5:30am. In the dark, I randomly picked a spot and ended up next to Trout9, who was next to Tat2 Fishhead. Almost immediately, Tat2 Fishhead was onto fish. Then Trout9 hooked up, also in the dark.. Between the two of them, a number of fish was landed before sunup.

As for myself, I was running a big fat zero while the two guys were repeatedly hooking up. Daylight came and still nothing. At that point, Trout9 who was directly next to me voluntarily offered some tips and his orange bait – both of which I gratefully accepted. I had different colors but not orange and it apparently really made a difference. Within minutes, I hooked up what was to be my large fish of the day. To say that I was appreciative is an understatement as I’ve often encountered fisherman who are tightlipped about what they are using. In fact, Trout9 even mentioned that he would be happy to share some of his fish if I wanted some. I did not take any as the day was still young. (Pic of Trout 9 below)

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3305

Tat2 Fishhead was on fire through the day. He ended up with a couple of 6 lbs, and a bunch of 4 and 3 lbs fish between him and his wife. To make a long story short, I ended up going cold and ended up with two more dinks. In the middle of the day, as I was about to leave for a break, he yelled out to me, ‘GRAB the NET!’. It turned to be a 6 lbs Tailwalker. :EyePop: Since, I’ve never caught any trout larger than 2.6 lbs, that fish was HUGE!! Beautiful colors too. Turns out that he is a veteran of SARL and often has huge stringers. (You should ask him about his heaviest stringer ever – staggering!)

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3300

So, I had to ask him if he would be willing to give me some tips. Was he ever generous! I got lots of invaluable tips and advice. Not only that, when he found out that I did not have a plastic worm of the right color, or the right split shot, he immediately rummaged through his tackle box and got me what I needed. Wow!

Truth be told though, I kept thinking about how amazing it would be if I could return home with a 6lb fish. Both my boys who compete each year in various derbies up here where winning fish are often in the 2+ lbs category, would be absolutely bugged eyed!

As Tat2 Fishhead was about to leave around 2:30pm, he made one more cast and almost immediately hooked up with another big Tailwalker that turned out to be 6 lbs, 2 oz. :EyePop::EyePop: A bit embarrassed but, still thinking about the reaction I would get out of my family with a 6 lbs fish, I asked him if I could just buy the fish off him…..:) (First time I ever stooped this low….promise….but you know, it’s a 6 lbs 2 oz Tailwalker after all….J) His next replied really summed up the day for me, ‘Nah, you can just have it. In fact, I’ll give you the whole stringer.’ YOWZER! We’re talking a mighty fine stringer of 10 fish! I asked if he was serious. He was.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3301

We hit the weighing station where he had some jackpot competition going on with some buddies. His top five fish of the stringer was almost 21 lbs with the two 6 pounders. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop: After weighing, he said, ‘They are yours’. I offered to at least reimburse him for his fishing fees but again, he waived it off.

I’ve never had so much fun coming home from a fishing outing. Coming into the house, I first came in with the five smallest fish and with a fanfare, dumped them in the sink. My wife, the ever loving and supportive princess of my life, said, “Nice fish”. I could tell that she was wondering if it was worth dirtying up her kitchen for that. Then I came back with another bag of five more – most of which are larger than what we normally catch here. Now, this got the attention of the whole family as they gathered around the sink. Then out again and back with a 4+ lb. This got my boys really hollering. Of course, I wasn’t done. Out again and back with the 6 lbs. At this point, they were pretty much speechless. Of course, I wasn’t done. Finally out one more time and back with the 6 lbs 2 oz. This completely filled up the right side of our kitchen sink.

At that point, you could cut the excitement with a knife. I think the boys were thinking Moby Dick next. :Rolls Eyes: (You know, that whale store we had to read in high school…LOL.) Of course, lots of questions were flying. So you know how it is – I had to regale my boys with the epic battles of how I fought with these on 2 lbs test for 30 minutes each….. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Kidding aside, I gave them the whole scoop including how I could not fit the fish into my small cooler. We had a great time as I recounted the kindness of the two guys whom I got to fish next to.

Trout9 and Tattoodfish, thanks for making my family’s day! And Dana, thanks for setting this up.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3302

One more note. I also had some great conversations with Craig, whom I found out later to be one of the owners of SARL. Really appreciate all the information about SARL, fishing techniques, and history of some of the fisheries. I enjoyed the detailed conversation.

About the only fly in the ointment is due to my own carelessness. My prototype loaner rod slipped out of my car in the rod bag. I did not see it until I was walking back to the car, just in time to see a service truck run over the rod. Ouch. However, it is completely my fault so not bothered by that really.

By the way, what about the trout? Well, the Tailwalkers put up great fights. The two 6 lbs made repeated surges. So many times, TAT2 would bring them close and just as I was about to scoop them up, the fish would surge again into deeper waters. The second one made some long surges as the line pulled taut. It really was a bit nerve wrecking in the best way possible. This is part of great fishing. (I read that another member did loose a large one because he had to try netting it alone.) Even the littles ones put up a nice bend on the rod. I caught one that jumped cleared the water a couple of times which is quite different from most trout that just goes down and deep. Needless to say, the beauty of the trout speak for itself in the pictures. What you guys don’t see is at the cleaning station. Well, some of the fish I cleaned really is as pink as wild Salmon. (Each year, my family pick up at 60 lbs of wild Salmon every time Staters Brothers bring them in. We love fish.) This is a total surprise. The two largest ones also were especially firm fleshed. One can really tell that theyare quality fish when cleaning them.

Apologies about the length of this public thank you but wanted to give enough details to give some punch about the experience. Bottom line, Team 57, THANKS for making fishing much more than just about fish. :LOL:

Thanks,
UL

ps: Apparently Santa Ana posted a Youtube video including the first 6 lb in the opening scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFeVVpxszo&feature=player_embedded

Fisherman57
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Very nice re-cap Mo......

TEAM 57's "Ruby Wednesday" event at Santa Ana River Lakes was a total success because of all the great members who showed up!

Thanks for all the kind words, it was my pleasure meeting you out there! I hope you'll come out to another Team 57 event soon (we have lots more planned :Wink:) ......... and maybe bring the family next time!

That custom rod you showed me was SWEET..... and good call on the Frog Togs! LOL!

Kudo's to Tat2 for donating his fish....

Hope to see ya soon!

BTW everyone...... here's a little inside tip...... even though we had a phenomenal day out there yesterday.. there's still lots of fish in Chris's Pond! :Wink: I know what was put into that pond and I'll be fishing it again soon! HAHAHAHAHA!

Dana

Big Daddy
01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
TGreat report ultralight glad you had a good time. Tat2Fishead must have really liked you to give you them fish. He's a great guy all though he has never gave me his fish:LOL: and he would not even answer the phone to me yesterday. I guess he was to busy with all them big fish. All kidding aside he as well as all Team 57 are really great people. It is truly a honor to be part of this Team. ALL ARE QUALITY PEOPLE.

Sue
01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Great report, Ultralight! It was nice meeting you yesterday. Isn't it awesome when someone gives you a stringer of fish? T57 guys have done it to me a few times!

Trout Nine
01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice report Ultralight,
It was nice meeting you! I glad the bait worked
Anything to help you catch is a plus hope the family
enjoy the fish see ya at the next event.

PS: would of been OK 2 post pics!

T9

Sierra_Smitty
01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Very nice report....and I gotta say, that first fish pic is impressive - possibly the best looking fish I've seen come out of that place - ever.

Fisherman57
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Very nice report....and I gotta say, that first fish pic is impressive - possibly the best looking fish I've seen come out of that place - ever.

Nice seeing you there yesterday Jared.........

Your a lean lookin' machine dude!
Even after enjoying a TEAM 57 cheeseburger yesterday! Congrats!

Sierra_Smitty
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Nice seeing you there yesterday Jared.........

Your a lean lookin' machine dude!
Even after enjoying a TEAM 57 cheeseburger yesterday! Congrats!

Thanks dude - it was good seeing you guys....and the burgers were awesome! Somehow I got out of there without one of those sweet beanies though...save one for me! haha!

saintarv
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Nice report and those are nice looking fish. :LOL:

CASTAWAY
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Nice looking fish. It was a great event. Most everyone caught fish.... :Cool:

Ultralight
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Very nice re-cap Mo......

Thanks for all the kind words, it was my pleasure meeting you out there! I hope you'll come out to another Team 57 event soon (we have lots more planned :Wink:) ......... and maybe bring the family next time!

That custom rod you showed me was SWEET..... and good call on the Frog Togs! LOL!

Kudo's to Tat2 for donating his fish....

Dana

Thanks. Great to meet the guy behind all this work too! (That Frog Togs is bulky as it was one size too large to fit over the fishing vest. But it sure is dry - recommended. I'm past the point of trying to impress people with style....:ROFL:)

Nice report Ultralight,
It was nice meeting you! I glad the bait worked
Anything to help you catch is a plus hope the family
enjoy the fish see ya at the next event.

PS: would of been OK 2 post pics!

T9

Trout Nine, THANKS again. Pic posted. Sorry about the drop of rain on my camera lens. Hope to meet up again some day - but I'll remember to bring more stuff so that I don't have to mooch of you....:)

TGreat report ultralight glad you had a good time. Tat2Fishead must have really liked you to give you them fish. He's a great guy all though he has never gave me his fish:LOL: and he would not even answer the phone to me yesterday. I guess he was to busy with all them big fish. All kidding aside he as well as all Team 57 are really great people. It is truly a honor to be part of this Team. ALL ARE QUALITY PEOPLE.

LOL! I dunno about him liking me. I figure that most had gotten their full stringer and left by then, so that I go the generous donation just by hanging around long enough. Maybe he just felt sorry for the rookie....:Razz: I shared some trout with my parents today who are real fish lovers and mom was bug eyed at the size of the trout. These are sure no Costco specials....

Ultralight
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Great report, Ultralight! It was nice meeting you yesterday. Isn't it awesome when someone gives you a stringer of fish? T57 guys have done it to me a few times!

Sure, great meetings you too. Yes, especially THIS particular stringer....LOL

tat2 fishhead
01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
it was a pleasure fishing next to u my friend ultralight.:Big Grin:Anytime u need advice,help,gear,bait whatever just ask my friend it's no problem.thanks for those kind words and great report on fishing that day it was so good im not even gana post one u said it best lots of fun great people good food cant beat it team 57 is a good group of people..as for u my friend big daddy u can have my stringer anytime buddy u r the best but you always catching um as fast as me my friend:ROFL:u dont need stringers.mr ultralight u deserved my stringer buddy the way u netted my fish man u were a great fishing buddy that day and the pics u took were amazing thanks agian glad the family was happy..!
great report:Applause:

FISH HARD:.

sansou
01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Good report, fun to read.

Nice job on all the big fish!

If you liked that event, you'll love the next couple ones T57 is putting together in the near future. As Dana says...."Stay Tuned!"

Wingnut
01-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Excellent report... really good to hear that there are some GREAT people a part of FNN and Team 57. That kind of generority and comraderie is what it's all about! :Big Grin: I missed this one... not for fear of the rain, but duty calls at work. :Neutral: Dana never fails to organize & deliver a topnotch event. Hope to see you guys at the next one. :Cool:

CatchthatTrout
01-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Ultralight, it was nice to meet you at the sign in table and kudos for a great report.
As you saw first hand, this is what FNN is all about, friends fishing and enjoying a great event together.
You'll read many reports of how FNN members go above and beyond to help a fellow fisherman, that's what it's all about.

Thank you SARL for a great time.

Mojave River Angler
01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Thats what I'm talking about! Good people, good fish, good rain, good times. Much Appreciated Team 57.

Fish on...

MRA

Ultralight
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
LOL everyone. TAT2....thanks for the offer, I may indeed ask more question of the master down the road - you sure got it dialed in. I sent you an email. If you reply, I can then send you the full sized photos as an attachment. If you send me your address, I'll send you full 8x10 photos - there is enough resolution in these pics to print out beautifully sharp.

Everyone else, nice indeed. CatchthatTrout, great to meet you too.

Since this is a fishing forum after all, I added a long paragraph about the fish towards the end of my original post.

Thanks,
UL

RiversideTrout77
01-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Great report:
sounds like good times and lots of great people. Can't wail till the next event so i can be there and live the experience instead of reading about it.

Fisherman57
01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your report Ultralight!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/SARLWIN005.jpg

You are the winner of this weeks
TEAM 57 / SANTA ANA RIVER LAKES / CORONA LAKE REWARD!

You have won a FREE ADMISSION PASS & BOAT RENTAL!

(PM me your information and I will get the passes to you!)

CONGRATULATIONS MO!!

Dana
Fisherman57

REMEMBER EVERYONE................

TEAM 57 is proud to announce that we will once again be rewarding members who take the time to post up their reports from these two fishing hot spots!

Every week, I'll be giving away a FREE admission pass & boat rental to the TEAM 57 / FNN member that posts the best report of the week!

Winners will be announced every Tuesday morning!......

EVERY WEEK you'll have a chance to win a FREE pass & a FREE boat rental to Corona Lake or Santa Ana River Lakes!
(Nearly a $100.00 total value!)
www.fishinglakes.com[/URL (http://[url]http//www.fishinglakes.com)]

Here's some tips that will help you win:

1) Take the time to write a detailed, interesting report!
2) Include lots of clear, interesting & fun photos in your report!
3) Wear your TEAM 57 t-shirt and make sure our logo shows up in the pic! :Wink:

Tell us about your day! Show us what you caught, tell us how you caught it, what kind of bait or lure were you using? What kind of rod & reel were you using? What were the conditions? Was it cold? Did you bring friends? How'd they do? Did something crazy happen? Make it interesting!

Again..... this is just ANOTHER example of why it pays to be a TEAM 57 & Fishing Network member!

Remember, we also have another TEAM 57 event coming up in January at Santa Ana River Lakes!

We hope to see you all of you there! Click on the link below for all the details!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=40227 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=40227)

Thanks everyone for your continued support of Fishing Network & Team 57
We have some BIG things planned for 2010!

IT PAYS TO BE A TEAM 57 MEMBER!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/banner012z.gif

BigBass777
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah! His report was a good one. The free pass and boat rental was an easy guess. He deserves it. Man! It looked like a fun day out to fish. Gotta get to one of these events so I can pick up some FNN merchandise. Don't have anything yet.

Ultralight
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Whoo Hooo! Wow, Thanks!

Tat2, much as it would be great to claim the prize, this is really YOUR prize. Without your kindness, there's really not much of a story to tell. So Bud, the prize is yours as this is really your story. I just got to have some fun telling it here. Please contact Dana to collect your prize - you earned it.

Thanks Dana! Great site, great people, great fishing. My impression is that SARL is really getting better fish this year too with all that full tailed trout.

UL

BIGRED KILLA
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I had a blast at the event cant wait for the next one rain or shine.

Thanks Dana for putting this all together.

Bigred

boxl0bster
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
fun times indeed. it was nice meeting you ultralight. hope to fish with you sometime soon. thanks for the great report.

Troutman65
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Really nice report . Congrats on those nice trout .

tat2 fishhead
01-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Ahh man again it was pleasure helping out a fellow team 57 member thanks UL I will pm Dana glad the family enjoyed the catch

Ultralight
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks. And enjoy your free pass and boat.

UL