PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Truck Owners

MarkyMark
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey all,

Planning on treating myself to a new or near new full size truck for my 50th b-day. I have a 97 V-6 Ranger which has been good to me. I want a Tundra or Ford 150. My coworkers are trying to get me to look at Chevy or Dodge (never owned one). Any owners out there? Thanks, I'll wait for the bashing to begin..:LOL:

Thanks

GeordyBass
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Get a TUNDRA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent you a PM....:Wink:

CAPT'N
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a 1994 Chevy Silverado that I bought new. It has 197,000 miles of off road and towing on it. Runs great!

That being said, if I was to do it today, I would get the TUNDRA.

Capt'n

DccFISHerMan
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
i recently bought a 2009 silverado extended cab 4x4 and i love it, couldnt be happier with it and its performance!!!

Fishbones
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
FORD FORD FORD FORD...there i said it...ive owned 5 FORDS and have beaten the crap out of them and they have never let me down. #1 1988 Bronco II that went from daily driver to a 1ton big block w/ 44" boggers, #2 1979 F250 with a built 400 and 40" ground hawgs, #3 1987 ranger xlt now 1 ton w/rollcage and future 5.0 swap,#4 2001 Excursion on 38"PJ's and 15K of suspension upgrades, #5 2001 ranger full fiberglass, long armed prerunner with custom built front& rear bumbers skidplate and a roof rack with 7 HID lights to go. I build offroad trucks for a hobby and for a living so my opinion is FORD TILL I DIE....CHEVYS ARE LIKE ROCKS...THEY BELONG ON THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE.......fishbones

samgann93
01-20-2010, 09:09 PM
1) Tundra - beast of a truck

2) Silverado - Best looking also a beast (toyota just has a better rep)

3) Everything else... my buddys brand new f-150 is crap. he wishes he woulda listened to be and got a tundra.

HEMAN
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Tundra +1, i'm looking right now too, how much you looking for that ranger? and what's it status?

lalo56
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I just got Chevy Silverado last year. Love the power and smooth ride. Also like the Onstar, gives me a bit of peace of mind if it get stolen it can get tracked by GPS.

lalo56
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Here is a link of the post when i first got it.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=36356&highlight=silverado

fishfinder
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
hey mark hadn't heard rom you in awhile. do the right thing and go get that F150. the new ones are real nice inside. if you are going to av ford. ask for wayne, and tell him you want it for invoice or you will go to valencia for it.

samgann93
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Here is a link of the post when i first got it.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=36356&highlight=silverado

thats a beautiful truck. . .

im ridiculously jealous at the moment..... haha

fish_sauce
01-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I used to service and repair Toyota, Chevy, and Ford trucks on a regular basis for local businesses and clients. If you ask me, i'd go with the silverados, they're a little bit better on the reliability scale, and on top of that, you get a five year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, which trumps toyota's 60months or 60,000 miles warranty.

Another thing to consider is, the new Chevy's have Active Fuel Management. You will have no problem squeezing out 20mpg from a V8. I'm not entirely sure if Ford could boast the same figures...

GeordyBass
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I used to service and repair Toyota, Chevy, and Ford trucks on a regular basis for local businesses and clients. If you ask me, i'd go with the silverados, they're a little bit better on the reliability scale, and on top of that, you get a five year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, which trumps toyota's 60months or 60,000 miles warranty.

Another thing to consider is, the new Chevy's have Active Fuel Management. You will have no problem squeezing out 20mpg from a V8. I'm not entirely sure if Ford could boast the same figures...

Toyota let's you increase the warranty period with only a few hundred bucks extra. I had 3 tundras already.... 2000 V8 had 210k when sold ran like new.... Dad had an 02' V6 120k never a problem.... 06' V8 Limited about 50k runs perfect.

Tundra and Silverado no doubt are hand in hand competition....
Silverado 2nd choice to me....
Tundra 5.7 381hp vs. Silverado 5.3L 315hp
Tundra 4.6L 310hp vs. Silverado 4.8L 302hp
6.2L Max 403, but it's an HD model
Same 10 1/2k Towing capacity....

fish_sauce
01-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Toyota let's you increase the warranty period with only a few hundred bucks extra. I had 3 tundras already.... 2000 V8 had 210k when sold ran like new.... Dad had an 02' V6 120k never a problem.... 06' V8 Limited about 50k runs perfect.

Thats true, but extended warranty contracts can be sketchy, you really need to read the fine print. some low-end service/repair contracts don't really save you any money in the long run, considering that they require you to pay a certain deductible on each repair claim, unless you shell out extra $ to get their higher coverage plans from the very beginning. I deal with these people on a daily basis, trust me, it can get very messy. what i was talking about is the actual Factory warranty, where you pay nothing out of pocket, even if it means only "a few hundred bucks extra..."

GeordyBass
01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Thats true, but extended warranty contracts can be sketchy, you really need to read the fine print. some low-end service/repair contracts don't really save you any money in the long run, considering that they require you to pay a certain deductible on each repair claim, unless you shell out extra $ to get their higher coverage plans from the very beginning. I deal with these people on a daily basis, trust me, it can get very messy. what i was talking about is the actual Factory warranty, where you pay nothing out of pocket, even if it means only "a few hundred bucks extra..."
There's a warranty extension chart but I cant find it.... But it's 100% Toyota.... and I forget the exact price but for 10yr and 125k mi. for about a grand or so....

Still Saweet!
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6500/oreo3.jpg

MarkyMark
01-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Tundra +1, i'm looking right now too, how much you looking for that ranger? and what's it status?

It's a 4.0 V-6 Ranger Super Cab in fair condition about 170,000 miles..I'm the 2nd owner had it for 8 years..I use it to tow my boat and Home Depot runs..it mainly sits in my front yard..But I want to go BIG!!!

I just got Chevy Silverado last year. Love the power and smooth ride. Also like the Onstar, gives me a bit of peace of mind if it get stolen it can get tracked by GPS.

Very nice. I remember reading about it last year..Any regrets???

hey mark hadn't heard rom you in awhile. do the right thing and go get that F150. the new ones are real nice inside. if you are going to av ford. ask for wayne, and tell him you want it for invoice or you will go to valencia for it.

What's up, Roger!!

Been laying low due to the holidays, but ready to surface again when the Fin & Feather opens again!! If you want to fish there let me know!! Why are you selling your boat??

lalo56
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Only one regret... Should have negotiated a little better. Other than that, love the truck.

You should go test drive both the Tundra and the Silverado and see which one you prefer. I like the looks on the Silverado better and dont like the BULKY look.

fishinone
01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I've got a Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'd do my homework but I'm inclined to start the Toyota out in the lead.

I'm also skeptical about buying a warranty from the US government. I would normally hope to have them on my side if there was a dispute.

TShaffer
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
My dad's got a 2008 F-150. Never had any problems. I have not seen any flaws in it but it's never towed or done anything offroad. Never owned a Toyota, Chevy, or Dodge truck so I wouldn't be able to compare.

GeordyBass
01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm also skeptical about buying a warranty from the US government. I would normally hope to have them on my side if there was a dispute.
No, Toyota Motors USA Lets you Upgrade your Toyota's Warranty for a longer period of time with a fee, about 1k. It is all Toyota and not those commercials you see on TV...

But Again, both Tundra and Silverado/Sierra are Good Choices, but with 34k you can get a CrewMax w/ 5.7L.... The GM gets you an extended cab with the 4.8 for about 33k.... Both good but value factors in too....

lalo56
01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
No, Toyota Motors USA Lets you Upgrade your Toyota's Warranty for a longer period of time with a fee, about 1k. It is all Toyota and not those commercials you see on TV...

But Again, both Tundra and Silverado/Sierra are Good Choices, but with 34k you can get a CrewMax w/ 5.7L.... The GM gets you an extended cab with the 4.8 for about 33k.... Both good but value factors in too....

Not true. I got a crew cab 4.8 with several options and didn't pay what you state, payed less

BIGRED KILLA
01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Lol you don't even have a car.

Bigred

GeordyBass
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Not true. I got a crew cab 4.8 with several options and didn't pay what you state, payed lesscool.... I just got some prices off of Rydell's In burbank....

lol shut Up Redheaded Bobby Hill.....

wellbilldancesays
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Go to www.edmunds.com and check out the CONSUMER reviews on the ones your thinking about getting from people who actually own the vehicles.

MarkyMark
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Go to www.edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com) and check out the CONSUMER reviews on the ones your thinking about getting from people who actually own the vehicles.

Whacha think I've been doing at work today??:Secret:

Bassnman Mike
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM

You forgot to mention that the Silverado also offers a 6.2L Vortec

GeordyBass
01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
You forgot to mention that the Silverado also offers a 6.2L Vortec
yes, I did put it up... 6.2L 403hp.... read it again...:Wink:

Bassnman Mike
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
DOH! My bad. FYI, the 6.2Vortec Max motor is available in the 1500 LT and LTZ but it must be extended or crew cab

sansou
01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Geez Geordy, at 16 years of age you certainly have a lot of experience with trucks!

GeordyBass
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Geez Geordy, at 16 years of age you certainly have a lot of experience with trucks!
I know, Whats funny is that I've test driven the Tundra 5.7 and my dad's old 06',02' and for a little while I had My 00' V8.... and I used to be a car maniac before fishing! lol

MarkyMark
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Funny--NOBODY has mentioned Dodge RAM or Nissan TITAN

GeordyBass
01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
If you don't mind me commenting, a little more than I need to....:Embarrassed:

Titan's are very well built trucks. Decent Power and nice ride. Only Problem is.... The Titan will be Dropped next year(2011). Titan sales aren't very good, and they decided to merge with Dodge. It'll soon have a Hemi in it anyways so, Parts for the 5.6L V8 the Titan has will be very hard to find after 2011. They also lose value out of the dealer pretty easily. I'm not hating, I love the Titan, but our situation forces them to do the merger.

Basically, It will really be a Re-Badged Dodge soon.

icachum2
01-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Tundra, unless you like making payments to the mechanic about the time you stop making payments to the finance company.
FORD- at least they circled the problem
Chevy- There's a reason they needed a bailout. I owned one once... and never will again.
Only bad about Tundra (or any gasoline truck) will suck the tank dry quick when towing.

GeordyBass
01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Tundra, unless you like making payments to the mechanic about the time you stop making payments to the finance company.
FORD- at least they circled the problem
Chevy- There's a reason they needed a bailout. I owned one once... and never will again.
Only bad about Tundra (or any gasoline truck) will suck the tank dry quick when towing.
lol
Every Truck will suck down gas while towing, Everyone.
Seems like you dislike every truck?

Fishbones
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
My lifted 2001 excursion v10 use to get 6-7 miles per gallon.....and thats not with the trailer on it...now its my buddies problem...lol

lalo56
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
If you don't mind me commenting, a little more than I need to....:Embarrassed:

Titan's are very well built trucks. Decent Power and nice ride. Only Problem is.... The Titan will be Dropped next year(2011). Titan sales aren't very good, and they decided to merge with Dodge. It'll soon have a Hemi in it anyways so, Parts for the 5.6L V8 the Titan has will be very hard to find after 2011. They also lose value out of the dealer pretty easily. I'm not hating, I love the Titan, but our situation forces them to do the merger.

Basically, It will really be a Re-Badged Dodge soon.

You dont know what you are talking about. Sorry to say brotha! Chevy Silverados are not as of now going to 2010.
Dodge... Well my buddy has it and its a damn rough ride in it.
Having owned a nissan i dont like their service so i didnt even consider the Titan.
Geordy if you have had any experience dealing with dealerships and owning a truck then come talk to me.

REALISTICLY not your searches on the web.
In other words dont tell me what you have researched but tell me what you have experienced from real life.

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 12:09 AM
You dont know what you are talking about. Sorry to say brotha! Chevy Silverados are not as of now going to 2010.
Dodge... Well my buddy has it and its a damn rough ride in it.
Having owned a nissan i dont like their service so i didnt even consider the Titan.
Geordy if you have had any experience dealing with dealerships and owning a truck then come talk to me.

REALISTICLY not your searches on the web.
In other words dont tell me what you have researched but tell me what you have experienced from real life.

oh and now that I read more into it, they are not gonna do the merger I guess..... you are right.

but Ram's aren't good trucks.... My Uncle had his motor replaced at 23k on the odometer. The block cracked and he is really light on the foot, and nice to the truck.... Now it has about 70k and the engine's bearings might be goin out... It runs a little rough and it whines when revving it....
My buddy also blew his motor on his Hemi at 70k plus tranny went out too... He has lifetime warranty so he was ok...but still sucks at such low mileage....

lalo56
01-23-2010, 12:17 AM
oh and now that I read more into it, they are not gonna do the merger I guess..... you are right.

but Ram's aren't good trucks.... My Uncle had his motor replaced at 23k on the odometer. The block cracked and he is really light on the foot, and nice to the truck.... Now it has about 70k and the engine's bearings might be goin out... It runs a little rough and it whines when revving it....
My buddy also blew his motor on his Hemi at 70k plus tranny went out too... He has lifetime warranty so he was ok...but still sucks at such low mileage....

So what advice do you have for your fellow FNN truck members?

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Sent you a PM.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I love this thread... A 16 yr old giving advice to a 50 yr old HAHA.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Geordy I DO NOT NEED YOUR RESPECT

TRDEXPERT
01-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Tundra all the way!
Look into 5.7 Tundra Crewmax Shortbed, test drive one and you'll fall in love! Add the TRD exhaust system!
If ur not planning to do any towing look into the 4.7 Engine, probably gain a couple more MPG.

I've been at Toyota as a mechanic and til' this day I have not seen a Tundra break down. Clean! No leaks what so ever. My neighbor has a 06' silverado with 60k miles and he wants me to replace the Valve Cover Gaskets because its leaking oil on his garage floor.

TUNDRA ALL THE WAY!

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I love this thread... A 16 yr old giving advice to a 50 yr old HAHA.
I can give any advice, anytime I want, when I want, to anyone I want to. It's in my power to do anything I want even though I'm young. The Future is ahead of me and I'll talk my mind, even if a damn 50yr old is trying to start drama with a kid, now thats funny.

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Tundra all the way!
Look into 5.7 Tundra Crewmax Shortbed, test drive one and you'll fall in love! Add the TRD exhaust system!
If ur not planning to do any towing look into the 4.7 Engine, probably gain a couple more MPG.

I've been at Toyota as a mechanic and til' this day I have not seen a Tundra break down. Clean! No leaks what so ever. My neighbor has a 06' silverado with 60k miles and he wants me to replace the Valve Cover Gaskets because its leaking oil on his garage floor.

TUNDRA ALL THE WAY!
x2 TRD.

Toyota updated in 2010 to the New 4.6L with 310hp and 6 speed transmission! That motor beats the competition already! lol

lalo56
01-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I can give any advice, anytime I want, when I want, to anyone I want to. It's in my power to do anything I want even though I'm young. The Future is ahead of me and I'll talk my mind, even if a damn 50yr old is trying to start drama with a kid, now thats funny.

You gave your opinion. I just stated as he wanted to know the experience with full truck owners. I answered his thread. You come up and get all defensive... Whats up with that?

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 12:51 AM
You gave your opinion. I just stated as he wanted to know the experience with full truck owners. I answered his thread. You come up and get all defensive... Whats up with that?
Bro, I do not want to make any enemies man... especially locals, easier to fish together.

You started up with me. I didn't want a comment from you. I didn't need one either. I have owned an 00' Tundra(mines, not my dad's)but sold it due to dad's unemployment last year... And I've test driven the New Tundras(3x!),Ram,Titan, F-150, Silverado,Tacomas! I have a License, and a beard! Go Figure! lol I know the pricing....love going to dealerships and checking stuff out....

lalo56
01-23-2010, 01:05 AM
At 16 years old you have owned soo many cars with a driving permit?

lalo56
01-23-2010, 01:08 AM
You are just a stubborn and dont like to listen.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 01:13 AM
everyone looking for a full size truck talk to Georgy he will tell u what you should pay. He will also hook you up with taxes and fees too. He is the man to go with. options all on him too. he knows what he is doing.

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 01:17 AM
You are just a stubborn and dont like to listen.

I'm done with you.... don't say anything about me or talk to me. your as annoying as that other guy.... this trend of old guys punking on me is just getting rediculous and frankly, Just old..... I don't need this crap from you or anyone else trying to "straighten me out" because I won't listen, as you replied. Take it easy..-Geordy.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm done with you.... don't say anything about me or talk to me. your as annoying as that other guy.... this trend of old guys punking on me is just getting rediculous and frankly, Just old..... I don't need this crap from you or anyone else trying to "straighten me out" because I won't listen, as you replied. Take it easy..-Geordy.

Im sorry i dont know the "other guy." If you feel puncked im sorry. I didnt do it, it was you. Well you speak like you have experienced what was asked for. No one said to share your experience of your dad's truck.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I take it you wont listen... but hey everyone listen to him and get what he says the best truck is.

MarkyMark
01-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Lalo/Geordy..chill out and move on..!! We're getting WAY off track!!

Thanks

GeordyBass
01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Lalo/Geordy..chill out and move on..!! We're getting WAY off track!!

Thanks
Hey Marky, I'm sorry. I've been trying to keep it on pms... Good Luck with your search brotha.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Im chill. Marky, listen to Geordy he has all the XP on trucks you will ever need.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I dont understand why keep it on PM's? He asked for REAL FULL TRUCK OWNERS, so i answered.

lalo56
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM

Your too sensitive... This is not about you this is about the OP. He asked for owners of full sized trucks so i answered.

icachum2
01-24-2010, 09:58 PM
lol
Every Truck will suck down gas while towing, Everyone.
Seems like you dislike every truck?
Pardon my french.Tundra = GOOD. My 2005 Tundra has been great as far as maintenance, just change oil etc. And I got about 35,000 mi on my brakes. which, I think is good because I tow heavy stuff all the time. BTW I don't have personal experience towing with the other brands but I can't tow my boat from Rancho Cucamonga to Laughlin without stopping for gas. My buddy towed his boat on the same trip with his 2005 Suburban and still had plenty of gas (chevy has a bigger tank) but his Suburban was on the verge of overheating.
Others, (brand C,D and F) will likely require $$$ for all the stuff that will break. I'm in the business of transporting cars, which have been used and sometimes abused. Sadly, the big 3 are FAR, FAR more likely to leak oil, and tranny fluid. Have electrical anomolies. Etc, etc....
Toyotas are not perfect, and maybe not be the best choice for everyones needs but my personal experience is that they are far superior regarding maintenance.

victor101
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Tundra!!!!

GeordyBass
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Pardon my french.Tundra = GOOD. My 2005 Tundra has been great as far as maintenance, just change oil etc. And I got about 35,000 mi on my brakes. which, I think is good because I tow heavy stuff all the time. BTW I don't have personal experience towing with the other brands but I can't tow my boat from Rancho Cucamonga to Laughlin without stopping for gas. My buddy towed his boat on the same trip with his 2005 Suburban and still had plenty of gas (chevy has a bigger tank) but his Suburban was on the verge of overheating.
Others, (brand C,D and F) will likely require $$$ for all the stuff that will break. I'm in the business of transporting cars, which have been used and sometimes abused. Sadly, the big 3 are FAR, FAR more likely to leak oil, and tranny fluid. Have electrical anomolies. Etc, etc....
Toyotas are not perfect, and maybe not be the best choice for everyones needs but my personal experience is that they are far superior regarding maintenance.
Nice! My dad had a 2002 Tundra V6 110k... Ran Perfect! His newer one is a 2006 Limited V8 and it runs perfect at 46k...

My Old 2000 V8 Had 210k on it and it ran like new! I put about 7k miles but I had to sell it... Miss it!

devin828
01-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Look at the Honda Ridgeline its a great truck alot of people overlook it but its a worker make sure you get the tow package the only reason I say Honda is because you had a V-6 and jumping into an 8 cyclinder is gonna to pinch your pocket gas wise. If you want to jump to an 8 clyinder and your looking for a truck that is for hauling and towing go Ford F150 if you want to just drive around in a truck or brag about having a truck buy the others like chevy toyota dodge. Or you can always buy from a motor company that didnt take any goverment money, me myself I went from a Honda Ridgeline to a Ford F150 and I love it.
The reason I setteled for Ford F150 cause I go fishing twice a month Iam pulling my boat every where I put 80k on my ridgeline bought it in 2006 lost it to a drunk in December the only reason I didnt go back to the Honda was the Ford F150 was bigger on the inside for the kids. If you want to pull your boat trailer ect go ford F150 no other truck is built to pull from the frame up.

Tis my 2 cents worth

Good Luck on what ever you buy

MarkyMark
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Look at the Honda Ridgeline its a great truck alot of people overlook it but its a worker make sure you get the tow package the only reason I say Honda is because you had a V-6 and jumping into an 8 cyclinder is gonna to pinch your pocket gas wise. If you want to jump to an 8 clyinder and your looking for a truck that is for hauling and towing go Ford F150 if you want to just drive around in a truck or brag about having a truck buy the others like chevy toyota dodge. Or you can always buy from a motor company that didnt take any goverment money, me myself I went from a Honda Ridgeline to a Ford F150 and I love it.
The reason I setteled for Ford F150 cause I go fishing twice a month Iam pulling my boat every where I put 80k on my ridgeline bought it in 2006 lost it to a drunk in December the only reason I didnt go back to the Honda was the Ford F150 was bigger on the inside for the kids. If you want to pull your boat trailer ect go ford F150 no other truck is built to pull from the frame up.

Tis my 2 cents worth

Good Luck on what ever you buy

Interesting comment..I thought about a Ridgeline, but...I haven't seen too many towing anything; if at all. The jiump to 8 cylinders will pinch me a bit...I hear you on FoMoCo not taking any bailout money. We'll see how this ends..

diggity
01-30-2010, 03:40 AM
i got myself a 05 f150 and i got to say it is the smoothest riding truck on the road. when i bought my truck i went around and test drove everything that was out at that time. the titan had some undersized rotor issues so that knocked nissan off the list. ive had my fair share of problems with chevy like a blown out motor at 60k miles so never again. the ram was beefy but it the drive was pretty crappier and the interior was probably the worst of the bunch imho. the tundra at the time was undersized and underpowered. all in all i am very satisfied with my f150. with my v8 gas is an issue cause i avg about 13 mpg with a lot of local driving. if i had to buy right now i would have to consider the tundra. but if you can wait a while the f150 is supposed to come out with a 4.4 diesel engine... which if you ask me is gonna blow all the crap out of the water. :D

GeordyBass
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Any updates???

BIGRED KILLA
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Any updates???

Did you ever get your first car yet.

Bigred

GeordyBass
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
damn it you redhead....piss off.

Fishbones
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Get a ford........gas pedals dont stick....lol

BIGRED KILLA
02-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Bigred

MarkyMark
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Any updates???

Nope..Presidents Day Sale a coming!!

I'm dealing with that too..I have a 2007 Camry

GeordyBass
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope..Presidents Day Sale a coming!!

Cool bro good luck with your choice.

Only thing to remember, the pedal thing has been resolved... President's Day Sale + Recall bs= HUGE SAVINGS.

Every Company will eventually have that problem(or more problems). Ford trucks are having them too.

I won't get into it more, because I don't have one or need to deal with haters.

Fishbones
02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
FORD TILL I DIE..... but my next choice would be a toyota....
too bad they dont use a straight axle on the front of there fullsize 4x4 trucks.
If they did then nobody out there could compete with them....you can always do a solid axle conversion.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
FORD TILL I DIE..... but my next choice would be a toyota....
too bad they dont use a straight axle on the front of there fullsize 4x4 trucks.
If they did then nobody out there could compete with them....you can always do a solid axle conversion.
x2!!!!!
I think almost every truck now has independent front suspensions! A Dana 44 or 48 would be sweet though!

REEL EZ
02-09-2010, 09:07 AM
i got myself a 05 f150 and i got to say it is the smoothest riding truck on the road. when i bought my truck i went around and test drove everything that was out at that time. the titan had some undersized rotor issues so that knocked nissan off the list. ive had my fair share of problems with chevy like a blown out motor at 60k miles so never again. the ram was beefy but it the drive was pretty crappier and the interior was probably the worst of the bunch imho. the tundra at the time was undersized and underpowered. all in all i am very satisfied with my f150. with my v8 gas is an issue cause i avg about 13 mpg with a lot of local driving. if i had to buy right now i would have to consider the tundra. but if you can wait a while the f150 is supposed to come out with a 4.4 diesel engine... which if you ask me is gonna blow all the crap out of the water. :D

I wonder who is going to manufacture the 4.4 diesel engine for ford. hopefully a Cummins or a Cat/Perkins

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
x2!!!!!
I think almost every truck now has independent front suspensions! A Dana 44 or 48 would be sweet though!

I think you mean the
DANA 60 reverse rotation gears w/ 35spline axles, 1480 u joints...pretty much the axle under all ford f250,f350 right now...the dodges have them to but not with reverse rotation gears.

The 4.4-liter engine is a larger version of the 3.6-liter turbocharged V-8 used in European market Land Rover Range Rovers.
It is to be based on the Lion V6 Diesel and has an estimated power output of 330 hp (246 kW) and 515 ft·lbf (698 N·m) of torque. As with the other AJDs it will have a Compacted Graphite Iron block due to the higher power output.

So we bailed out gm and now they are going to open a motor plant in a foriegn country when our unemployment rate is sky high in the US.
Three Thai banks have agreed to provide loans for the Thai unit of General Motors to fund its 15-billion-baht diesel engine plant and the expansion of pickup truck production in Rayong.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I think you mean the
DANA 60 reverse rotation gears w/ 35spline axles, 1480 u joints...pretty much the axle under all ford f250,f350 right now...the dodges have them to but not with reverse rotation gears.

The 4.4-liter engine is a larger version of the 3.6-liter turbocharged V-8 used in European market Land Rover Range Rovers.
It is to be based on the Lion V6 Diesel and has an estimated power output of 330 hp (246 kW) and 515 ft·lbf (698 N·m) of torque. As with the other AJDs it will have a Compacted Graphite Iron block due to the higher power output.

So we bailed out gm and now they are going to open a motor plant in a foriegn country when our unemployment rate is sky high in the US.
Three Thai banks have agreed to provide loans for the Thai unit of General Motors to fund its 15-billion-baht diesel engine plant and the expansion of pickup truck production in Rayong.
I meant 1/2 tons btw.... I know about the 3/4 and 1 ton.... I'd take a Diesel Badly!!

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Gotcha....they dont wanna give up ride quality for performance and strenght...too bad cuz with gas prices the way there going...i think alot of people would buy a 1/2 ton solid axle truck right now.

I feel you on the diesel.....sold my custom Excursion because it was a V10 gas hawg...still lookin for the diesel replacement to start a new project build up.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Gotcha....they dont wanna give up ride quality for performance and strenght...too bad cuz with gas prices the way there going...i think alot of people would buy a 1/2 ton solid axle truck right now.

I feel you on the diesel.....sold my custom Excursion because it was a V10 gas hawg...still lookin for the diesel replacement to start a new project build up.saweet! I like the Duramax a lot... and paried with the HD Allison transmission! woohoo! :-)

NoHoArt has a V-10 Excursion too! That thing sucks up gas! lmao.... He pressed it hard goin up hill and i swear I saw the MPG meter going down about 5 miles(1/2 gallon!)

Shoulda kept the excursion and did a diesel swap, with a wrecked Bigger F-series truck! 6.0L FTW!

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
i thought about it...but im ready for a new body style truck...Ive already started purchasing parts for the new project F450...

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/RockstarExcursion_side-1.jpg
SUSPENSION:
9 inch National Springs, 2.5 inch RCD Hanger kit, Bilstein 7100 Reservoir shocks, ORU Shock Hoops, ORU x-over steering, ORU traction bars, ORU Heim Joint sway bar links, ORU Air Bag and Compressor kit, ORU Diff covers, ORU Trac Bar kit, Limiting straps, Custom Drive shafts
WHEELS:
Weld Stone Crushers 16.5x9.75
TIRES:
Parnelli Dirt Grip 38.5x15.50R16.5
EXTERIOR:
Bushwacker Street Flares, All chrome front bumper, Clear corner Head Lights, Billet Grill, Warn power lead kit with winch.
INTERIOR:
Pioneer Sound system, GPS, Navigator system, TV monitors, Pioneer speakers and amps, Pioneer CD Changer
As you can see i worked ar OFFROADUNLIMITED FOR A FEW YEARS

HERES WHAT IM ROLLING IN NOW TILL I BUILD THE F450

2001 RANGER, I BUILT
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/l_876c0c85d6f0369d0a4b423bd8334ec9.jpg

BIGRED KILLA
02-09-2010, 03:38 PM

I feel you on the diesel.....sold my custom Excursion because it was a V10 gas hawg...still lookin for the diesel replacement to start a new project build up.

We have the diesel excursion with the 7.3 love it is a beast esp on the freeway We get 16 to 20 mpg hwy and 12 to 15 city.

Bigred

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/RockstarExcursion_side-1.jpg
SUSPENSION:
9 inch National Springs, 2.5 inch RCD Hanger kit, Bilstein 7100 Reservoir shocks, ORU Shock Hoops, ORU x-over steering, ORU traction bars, ORU Heim Joint sway bar links, ORU Air Bag and Compressor kit, ORU Diff covers, ORU Trac Bar kit, Limiting straps, Custom Drive shafts
WHEELS:
Weld Stone Crushers 16.5x9.75
TIRES:
Parnelli Dirt Grip 38.5x15.50R16.5
EXTERIOR:
Bushwacker Street Flares, All chrome front bumper, Clear corner Head Lights, Billet Grill, Warn power lead kit with winch.
INTERIOR:
Pioneer Sound system, GPS, Navigator system, TV monitors, Pioneer speakers and amps, Pioneer CD Changer
As you can see i worked ar OFFROADUNLIMITED FOR A FEW YEARS

HERES WHAT IM ROLLING IN NOW TILL I BUILD THE F450

2001 RANGER, I BUILT
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/l_876c0c85d6f0369d0a4b423bd8334ec9.jpg
Sweet Lift on the Excursion! That lift will be another reason for lower gas mileage! lmao! Still worth it lol,,,

Nice little baha rig with that ranger! I like that prerunner style! I wanted to do that on my old tundy but had to sell it.... hope I get some cash soon, I wanna get a Hard Body or Mini Truck(tacoma) and have it just like that with a little 22RE 4 banger in it... dana 33 on the back and front! or just the older ones that already have a solid fron axle FTW!

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
We have the diesel excursion with the 7.3 love it is a beast esp on the freeway We get 16 to 20 mpg hwy and 12 to 15 city.
Bigred

Nice, the 7.3 is a beast for sure!!is it 2wd or 4wd,.....i new what i was in for when i bought it but the price was right and working at the shop i spent little on labor and got parts at wholesale prices so i said screw it. I had it for 4 years time to build a new one.

TroutOnly
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ive owed evry brand for work and play trucks and all i can say is toyota,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
GeordyBass;yeah just a lil aerodynamics issuse with it huh LOL
Thanks i like to fly the fwys in the ranger...i like toyota pre runners too...
Dana 33? dont they have toyota 8" an 9" axles?
let me know when you get it i can get you great prices on any parts for it...

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ive owed evry brand for work and play trucks and all i can say is toyota,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree...it sure would be awesome if they dumped the IFS and built a solid axle toyota..mabye one with a diesel....its been over 20years since the last toyota straight axle truck

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
GeordyBass;yeah just a lil aerodynamics issuse with it huh LOL
Thanks i like to fly the fwys in the ranger...i like toyota pre runners too...
Dana 33? dont they have toyota 8" an 9" axles?
let me know when you get it i can get you great prices on any parts for it...
F Yeah brotha!

Yes the older ones are 8".... And can use the 44 or 41's....

but the late model mini trucks are all independent and can use the same axle as the ranger/explorers...the Dana 35's,,,,

Saweet! I'll hit you up if I ever need some suspension mods or something.

I think I'm gonna get a Pathfinder because they are so damn cheap!

lalo56
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
F Yeah brotha!

but the late model mini trucks are all independent and can use the same axle as the ranger/explorers...the Dana 35's,,,,

Hey Geordy, did you get your driver's license already? I know you were in the proccess, thats why im asking. Good luck on your first vehicle search as well. I recommend you get a cheap car because most first drivers get in car accidents, not saying you will but just the stats!

lalo56
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I dont understand how this thread went from a full truck to an SUV to modified trucks, and to some off the subject...?
Is it just me that noticed this?

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey Geordy, did you get your driver's license already? I know you were in the proccess, thats why im asking. Good luck on your first vehicle search as well. I recommend you get a cheap car because most first drivers get in car accidents, not saying you will but just the stats!
I've had it since mid 09'....

And I know exactly what ya mean.... Like I said, I learned to drive(Permit) off of my old 2000 Tundra.... but I had to sell it.... now cant afford another one so need to settle with a cheaper vehicle(pathfinder).... And with a V8, speeding was to damn easy, an older truck may have less than 160hp on the 4 bangers, so I'll be lucky to hit 70 lol,,, I am a pretty good driver and I want to use my next vehicle for off road use too, so i'll sacrifice speed anyways........

lalo56
02-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I've had it since mid 09'....

And I know exactly what ya mean.... Like I said, I learned to drive(Permit) off of my old 2000 Tundra.... but I had to sell it.... now cant afford another one so need to settle with a cheaper vehicle(pathfinder).... And with a V8, speeding was to damn easy, an older truck may have less than 160hp on the 4 bangers, so I'll be lucky to hit 70 lol,,, I am a pretty good driver and I want to use my next vehicle for off road use too, so i'll sacrifice speed anyways........

Well, obviously i cant share my experience with you. You know more than me and im 30. Well i just hope you dont learn the hard way, but it looks like you will have to, as stubborn as you are. I dont mean that in a hard way. I used to think like u before. Only way you will learn is from your own mistakes. I just hope they are not expensive and cause bodily harm.

lalo56
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Also remember if you are off roading with a vehicle that is insured and you crash it... your insurance will be OFF THE ROOF! You didnt think about that did you? You are just thinking about all the fun and games without thinking about the responsibilities and monetary consequences.

lalo56
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I really do hope you dont take this to offense and start PM'g me and cursing me like you did last time for telling you straight foward my opinion without foul language. I know you will not like what i say, but its the honest truth.

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM
F Yeah brotha!

Kewl...get that pathfinder and lets pre runner that thing out

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Also remember if you are off roading with a vehicle that is insured and you crash it... your insurance will be OFF THE ROOF! You didnt think about that did you? You are just thinking about all the fun and games without thinking about the responsibilities and monetary consequences.
it's all good.
I know the risks. The reason i want a cheaper vehicle is I wont need to report it if i don't need to. Parts arent too expensive and I will do little/less risky stuff like going through rock and muddy trails and places like Gorman, slow not baja stuff lol.... off roading will be maybe 10x a year at the most, but I wont do it until I can afford the mods, so thats a long time from now. I will usually be using it for fishing and commuting, or if my pops or mom need me to run some errands....

And comment on the below wasn't really necessary lol. What u said before was a little different, this time your thinking about me being safe(for other drivers as well) and not being screwed over by my insurance, thats pretty cool of you.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Kewl...get that pathfinder and lets pre runner that thing out
Hell yeah man! I've done really light mudding on my dad's 4x2 tundra... so fun getting it dirty and p'ing him off!!!
It'll be soon when I get my next car! 2 months or so I believe! :-)

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, obviously i cant share my experience with you. You know more than me and im 30. Well i just hope you dont learn the hard way, but it looks like you will have to, as stubborn as you are. I dont mean that in a hard way. I used to think like u before. Only way you will learn is from your own mistakes. I just hope they are not expensive and cause bodily harm.

WHAT???...lalo...from reading his responce..i dont think he came off like that or directed any negative aggression towards you....or didnt deny your experience at all he just simply stated that he knew how to drive and he sounded knowledgeable in his choosen words.

I dont know your history between you two but just my opinion......

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
WHAT???...lalo...from reading his responce..i dont think he came off like that or directed any negative aggression towards you....or didnt deny your experience at all he just simply stated that he knew how to drive and he sounded knowledgeable in his choosen words.

It's all good fishbones, let it go....it was between us and don't want to get u into it,,, u seem like a cool dude...

I used to be into cars before I started fishing..... but I wasn't updated much anymore....

I will start again! woohoo,,, when bad fishing it'll= 4x4 time!

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Hell yeah man! I've done really light mudding on my dad's 4x2 tundra... so fun getting it dirty and p'ing him off!!!
:-)

LMAO...thats the best part of it all....dad. all p'd off....LOL

lalo56
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM

It's okay... It was in PM's. Thats all i will say.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
LMAO...thats the best part of it all....dad. all p'd off....LOL:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

I did it in palmdale in a day that it was pouring! My dad's friend lives by some dirt roads so it was just mud! I was just gassin' it and flinging mud all over the place, good thing this one had the LSD or else I woulda been stuck! my old truck had no LSD so it would be hard to get any traction in those conditions....:EyePop:

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I dont understand how this thread went from a full truck to an SUV to modified trucks, and to some off the subject...?
Is it just me that noticed this?

Whats off the subject off trucks....fullsize suv whatever...its a thread on buying a new truck and everyone will state there opinion and history and experiences with certin vehicles....dont really see how it went off subject....

jrockn
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I've had ford silverados and F150s. I currently own a Nissan Titan. LOVE IT! pulls way better, runs great, tought *** hell, and looks good. I'd get me aother Nissan Titan.

But between your pics, .... Toyota for sure!

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I wonder who is going to manufacture the 4.4 diesel engine for ford. hopefully a Cummins or a Cat/Perkins
marky, maybe you should wait a little till the diesel comes out! FTW

They will probably use International/Navistar like the powerstrokes.

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

I did it in palmdale in a day that it was pouring! My dad's friend lives by some dirt roads so it was just mud! I was just gassin' it and flinging mud all over the place, good thing this one had the LSD or else I woulda been stuck! my old truck had no LSD so it would be hard to get any traction in those conditions....:EyePop:

LMAO...gotta have the limited slip or a locker for sure...theres a saying...when a truck has a open diff and it does 1 wheel burn outs they call it peggy sue...or peg leg.....
its funny cuz when you think 4x4 you think all wheels turning...but thats not always the case...if the diffs are open theres only 2 wheels turning under power, 1 front,1 rear....so its actually 2wd..
i got a detroit locker in the rear on my rockcrawler dana60 and in the front a power lock in a dana60

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
LMAO...gotta have the limited slip or a locker for sure...theres a saying...when a truck has a open diff and it does 1 wheel burn outs they call it peggy sue...or peg leg.....
its funny cuz when you think 4x4 you think all wheels turning...but thats not always the case...if the diffs are open theres only 2 wheels turning under power, 1 front,1 rear....so its actually 2wd..
i got a detroit locker in the rear on my rockcrawler dana60 and in the front a power lock in a dana60
lmao!x2! I love how there's no fishtailing in burnouts, 2 nice straight strips of burnt rubber! hahahaha my dad does that in empty roads in p-dale when we visit friends... my old truck would jerk a little to the left sometimes when pushin it, but I dont like doing that....it = wasted tires, gas, and trouble with the law! lol,,,,

Detroit locker sounds saweet! Sticking in an LS1/4.7L Tundra V8 in a minitruck, Procomp wheels 33's, detroit locker, Dana 44's or 60's, a nice Skyjacker 5" lift on front, 3" on back, 4speed tranny!all matte black, ARB Bumper+ winch on front..... Full Roll Cage!

That's a dream rig!

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Ive got over 10+years of building trucks from the dealership and in a custom offroad shop doing fabrications to these vehicles, test driving and doing R&D for FORD and GM. Along with top of the line custom conversions that i helped design for these vehicles that were featured at sema in the FORD and GM booths.Along with experience from all manufactures aftermarket parts and installations.
just what i know.....

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
imagine a 4wheel burn out...OMG its amazing...
Like i said...geordybass...when your ready to build the beast i will help you for sure...

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Thank your for sharing.

Anytime.....Talking,building,working on trucks is a passion and a hobbie of mine and i enjoy sharing my knowledge with anybody i can help.

GeordyBass
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
imagine a 4wheel burn out...OMG its amazing...
Like i said...geordybass...when your ready to build the beast i will help you for sure...
I will man, it'll sure involve a small truck and a V8!:EyePop:

Anytime.....Talking,building,working on trucks is a passion and a hobbie of mine and i enjoy sharing my knowledge with anybody i can help.
It will sure be my 3rd soon FTW!:Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
02-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice, the 7.3 is a beast for sure!!is it 2wd or 4wd,.....i new what i was in for when i bought it but the price was right and working at the shop i spent little on labor and got parts at wholesale prices so i said screw it. I had it for 4 years time to build a new one.

It is 4 wheel drive.

Bigred

Fishbones
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
It is 4 wheel drive.
Bigred

Cool..ive built alot of excursions and f250,f350's if you ever have any questions or need any advice feel free to hit me up..is it lifted or stock...you pull a trailer or boat? The 7.3 built is a great engine....

sansou
02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
It is 4 wheel drive.

Bigred

That truck is exactly what I would like to travel baja with. I was impressed when I stepped on the gas, cause it pulled that heavy boat up the steep ramp like no one's business.

Fishbones
02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
That truck is exactly what I would like to travel baja with. I was impressed when I stepped on the gas, cause it pulled that heavy boat up the steep ramp like no one's business.

Buy one sansou.. and have me convert it for you.
I use all genuine Ford parts and its all bolt on and can be done in a 1day.
The cost of purchasing a 2wd and converting it is cheaper than buying a 4wd not to mention that most 4wd excursions will already be beat up with wear and tear.
The 7.3 is a great motor when built up with minor bolt ons and a programmer.

MarkyMark
04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
bump--this weekend decides it all!

Do you guys who tow boats have 2wd or 4wd? Is 4wd necessary?

lalo56
04-02-2010, 05:52 PM

I have a 2 wd and have towed just fine. Although a 4wd would be nice but i didnt find it neccessary. All depends what terrain you are on and hills.

GeordyBass
04-02-2010, 05:56 PM

We almost never have needed 4x4 when towing a boat. 4x4 is great when you really need it for off roading or icey areas. Unless your gonna tow a 24'+ boat(over 6000lbs), it aint gonna be really needed. What you do really need is a Transmission Cooler and Trailer brakes....

We havent towed anything bigger than a 21' Sea Ray in our 06' Tundra and that's about the max you want to tow without a trailer brake controller, about 3800lbs. We have a transmission cooler in our truck and it tows it just fine, but we have the 4.7L smaller V8 and were rated for about 7000 lbs... Most newer trucks are rated for about 10,000lbs and you still do definitely need a brake controller after 5000lbs.

MonsterGuppy
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm towing with a 2006 ford f150 4.6 v8 2 wheel drive limited slip, so far no problems on any of the lake ramps... boat and trailer @ 2000=3000 pounds fully loaded. Only costs so far oil changes and gas,, @ 15 mpg city, 19 hwy, and have not checked mpg with the tow rig but it must be under 10.

MarkyMark
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm towing with a 2006 ford f150 4.6 v8 2 wheel drive limited slip, so far no problems on any of the lake ramps... boat and trailer @ 2000=3000 pounds fully loaded. Only costs so far oil changes and gas,, @ 15 mpg city, 19 hwy, and have not checked mpg with the tow rig but it must be under 10.

That's what I'm looking at no more than 3000lbs. I got into a debate at work about 4wd..(a must) I wasn't looking at one but it got me thinking..

lalo56
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
That's what I'm looking at no more than 3000lbs. I got into a debate at work about 4wd..(a must) I wasn't looking at one but it got me thinking..

NOT a must. It's a MUST if you are off-roading on sloapy, ditchy roads so if your rears dont grip your fronts will.

GeordyBass
04-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Muddy and slippery too. You'll lose about 2mpg too because of the extra weight on the front end.... Unless you know you are gonna go offraoding, etc... your gonna dump a couple grand, lose gas mileage, and have extra parts to maintain even if you dont ever use it. That the reason my pops got a 4x2... he knows we aint gonna go muddin.... thats why he has his 91 4runner 4x4 4-banger....:Cool:

lalo56
04-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Muddy and slippery too. You'll lose about 2mpg too because of the extra weight on the front end.... Unless you know you are gonna go offraoding, etc... your gonna dump a couple grand, lose gas mileage, and have extra parts to maintain even if you dont ever use it. That the reason my pops got a 4x2... he knows we aint gonna go muddin.... thats why he has his 91 4runner 4x4 4-banger....:Cool:

Yeah there you go, i missed the muddy part.

MarkyMark
04-05-2010, 07:15 AM
DONE!!!

2010 Toyota Tundra--5.7..I signed yesterday on my 50th birthday!!!

Went to early Easter service, then off to Carson Toyota

I drove the 4.6 not bad, but then I drove the bigger engine wow!!!

Paid 27,200 under the Costco Auto Plan, extended warranty 1625+Gap ins 500+alarm 200...1.9 finanacing for 5 years--539 per month

Thanks for all of the inputs!!!

I'm rolling BIG now!!!

MM

lalo56
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Congrats MM. Lets see some pictures. What kind of cab did you get?

GeordyBass
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
DONE!!!

2010 Toyota Tundra--5.7..I signed yesterday on my 50th birthday!!!

Went to early Easter service, then off to Carson Toyota

I drove the 4.6 not bad, but then I drove the bigger engine wow!!!

Paid 27,200 under the Costco Auto Plan, extended warranty 1625+Gap ins 500+alarm 200...1.9 finanacing for 5 years--539 per month

Thanks for all of the inputs!!!

I'm rolling BIG now!!!

MM
Nice!!!!! Good thing you got the 5.7L.... The difference is only about 1-2mpg depending on your right foot! lol

Let's see some Pics!

Oh yeah, If you ever need help with customizing on general questions about your truck go on:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/

KID CREOLE
04-11-2010, 03:53 PM
We almost never have needed 4x4 when towing a boat. 4x4 is great when you really need it for off roading or icey areas. Unless your gonna tow a 24'+ boat(over 6000lbs), it aint gonna be really needed. What you do really need is a Transmission Cooler and Trailer brakes....

We havent towed anything bigger than a 21' Sea Ray in our 06' Tundra and that's about the max you want to tow without a trailer brake controller, about 3800lbs. We have a transmission cooler in our truck and it tows it just fine, but we have the 4.7L smaller V8 and were rated for about 7000 lbs... Most newer trucks are rated for about 10,000lbs and you still do definitely need a brake controller after 5000lbs.

Be careful here guys with some of this info!

The state of California determines when you need brakes, I believe any trailer with a GVWR over 3500 lbs needs to have brakes, basically any tandem trailer, but please verify this before you do anything.

As far as a brake controller, almost every tandem boat trailer with a 7000 GVWR comes with surge brakes which don't use a brake controller. Occasionally guys towing big boats will have their trailers set up with electric over hydraulic which needs a brake controller.

As far as towing, a real tow vehicle doesn't have spark plugs

GeordyBass
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM

The state of California determines when you need brakes, I believe any trailer with a GVWR over 3500 lbs needs to have brakes, basically any tandem trailer, but please verify this before you do anything.

As far as a brake controller, almost every tandem boat trailer with a 7000 GVWR comes with surge brakes which don't use a brake controller. Occasionally guys towing big boats will have their trailers set up with electric over hydraulic which needs a brake controller.

yup, as I said, It's like the max you wanna tow without trailer brakes... The newer tundra's have HUGE Brakes too. They'll handle it real well, but not recommended. And I said MY Truck is Rated for 7000lbs, I didn't tow absolutely anything heavier than that 21'. Read the ratings on His truck are about 10,800 gvwr, and yes a diesel is prime really, but these trucks will do the job and I don't think he wants to trade his truck in either.... Jst Be safe out there when towing.

No more drama lol.

MarkyMark
04-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Don't hate--you sound like my brother inlaw!!!

Whatch got cummings, duramax, or powerstroke??

KID CREOLE
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Don't hate--you sound like my brother inlaw!!!

Whatch got cummings, duramax, or powerstroke??

No hating at all MM, I've driven Ford diesels longer, than most of the members posting to this thread

I own two Ford diesels right now, I just sold a diesel Excursion. I own a 2000 F-250 crewcab diesel and a 1993 regular F-350 turbo diesel.

Don't like Dmaxs.

Just a fyi, Dodge owners take offense when someone calls their Cummins a Cummings.

The old 12 valve Cummins are by far the best diesel motor put into a truck, yes they're loud but very dependable.

Most of us that own diesels have done our homework, we tow alot and drive a lot of miles.

Good luck with the new truck, it will probably be more truck than you'll need, if you need something really heavy towed, shoot me a PM ;)

fishfinder
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I thought you were going for the 4wd