PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Pudd on weekday afternoons?

fish_sauce
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I drive pass it almost everyday on the way home from work, and i was wondering if anyone would like to join me and TEACH me the ropes to fishing the Pudd for freshwater bass in the late weekday afternoons...(around 5 to 6PM to closing time)

I have very little experience with freshwater...but i suppose i can make my saltwater gear to work, just point me in the right direction as to what kind of gear and bait/lure presentation, and how to "read" the water...we can meet somewhere outside of the park and take my truck in, as i'll be happy to pay for the parking fee for your time with me on the water...and rest assured, all fish caught will be CPR'ed :Wink:

My main objectives are to learn more about the sport, meet new fishing buddies, land my first few LMB's this year, and hopefully have a few new memorable fishing stories to tell. Until then, happy hunting and taut lines everyone! :Smile:

Andrew

vanillagurilla
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
wish i could help but the pud is a mystery to me lol. hopefully someone takes you out and shows you the ropes. to many people these days that dont want to share information about there precious spots.

fish_sauce
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
wish i could help but the pud is a mystery to me lol. hopefully someone takes you out and shows you the ropes. to many people these days that dont want to share information about there precious spots.

i agree, and it's completely understandable for people to feel that way, because they have their good reasons/concerns. Like any type of fishing though, I just hope i get lucky :Wink:

Andrew

vanillagurilla
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
true but at one point in time someone had to show them something. i help out complete strangers at my local lake. i just like to see people catch fish, especialy when im catching and others arent.

HEMAN
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
just put your time in and fish all the shorelines and throw different things to find the structure.

i'll send you a PM anytime i can get out there.

sawoobley
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I would if I had the experience. I went there once and shore fishing for bass was tough unless you are near the docks. Catching them is tougher. I am assuming that part of it was the cold weather and the time of the year. The Pudd has that reputation but it can be done. Search the boards to find out more:Cool:. I think the east shore is highly recommended. Some mention north shore (by the dam I think).

If you really want to get into fishing the lakes you may want to get into float tubing. I hear it is a much better experience. I just got mine and will try it out when the weather calms down and I pick up my fins and waders.

Some of the city lakes are stocked and have bass in them. Many are free. I went to laguna lake recently and found it was a good place to practice. You can see how your lures move in the water and practice various techniques. You probably have just as good a chance at catching a fish as the Pudd and most importantly, it's free!:Thumbs Up: Check the DFG website for the stocking schedule if your interested in Trout or Catfish.

I am in the same boat as you. Just starting out with bass fishing, but this forum can be a great resource if your willing to do the research. There are also a few books and websites that can help you learn the basics. Even ones geared towards southern California.

Well enough of the blind leading the blind. Good luck. :Fishing Hole:

Anyone else?:Cool:

fish_sauce
01-20-2010, 10:07 PM
HEMAN, i had an opportunity to fish there on and off about five times last year. got skunked on all those trips. I had a few light bites on suspending crankbaits, but none committed. I will fish it more frequently this year, just not sure what kind of structure i should watch out for...i tried fishing the edge of weed beds and near/underneath the dock, and shaded areas where theres cover....but you're absolutely right. it all breaks down to spending more time on the water and getting to know the environment and behavior of the targeted species better.

sawoobley, thanks for the advice. I do own a float tube, but i was also told that it needed to be registered at the lake before i can launch it. If you're thinking of using it there, you might want to look to see if there's some truth to that. All my research has led me to conclude that there are big toads swimming around at Pudd, and they are accessible by shore fishing. The question is, "how?" :LOL:

kz4bass
01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
That lake is tough , ive caught trout and small mouth bass no LMB but i know they are there i ran into someone who got a 10lb. I also hear the north shore near the dam is a good area for LMB..good luck let me know if you find the spot !

HEMAN
01-20-2010, 11:41 PM
That lake is tough , ive caught trout and small mouth bass no LMB but i know they are there i ran into someone who got a 10lb. I also hear the north shore near the dam is a good area for LMB..good luck let me know if you find the spot !

are you sure you caught small mouth there:???: i think only 3 lakes around here have smallmouth bass (DVL, Pyramid, and Arrowhead)

Newfishsmell
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Andrew, I think I ran into you near 72nd St jetty on Sunday before the rain, I stopped to ask what you were using, I was the one chasing my 5 yr old daughter up the beach as she did the hundred yard dash.
I use to live in Ontario and have a friend that showed me some good spots to fish from shore at the Pudd , I've only fished there 5 or 6 times but did catch a few Lmb on plastics.

I sent you a p.m.

fish_sauce
01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks again Chuck, for all the advice. I sent you a reply.

Let me know if you'd want some company on the surf, i'll be glad to join ya!