PDA

View Full Version : Particular species for spinning reel

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
To all,
I have a good sized spinning reel. The callout on the line is 12-14-17 with 320-240-170yds, respectively.
I,orginally, bought it for catfish but, now I'm finding a need to go even higher up on the line, especially, for the river and those blues at Otay.

Question- What species of fish can I go with this type of line poundage? Salt or Fresh, doesn't matter.

Mike

Ricky-Ray
01-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Fish inshore or along the kelp for bass, would also work for bonito and barracuda, possibly even shallow water rockfish. Would be ok for small yellowtail but would not be my first choice in reel or line rating if the 20-30 pound yellowtail models showed up. It would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Rakie
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Fish inshore or along the kelp for bass, would also work for bonito and barracuda, possibly even shallow water rockfish. Would be ok for small yellowtail but would not be my first choice in reel or line rating if the 20-30 pound yellowtail models showed up. It would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

You know, we landed plenty of yellows in the 15-20lbs range with 12# test on a spinning outfit.

It's good times, but if you're throwing irons at kelp patties, id for sure agree ~ Go a bit heavier.

You could always get braid for catfish btw.

victor101
01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
With a 15# setup you can pretty much tackle all Southern California inshore species. Like Rakie and RR said, catching a yellowtail on 15# or even #12 is possible but it woulndnt be the first setup i grab off the rack while targeting YT unless the bite is finicky or im just trying to have fun.

Rakie
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
or im just trying to have fun.

BINGO ! :)

Tight lines,
~Rakie

Ricky-Ray
01-22-2010, 12:17 PM
You know, we landed plenty of yellows in the 15-20lbs range with 12# test on a spinning outfit.

It's good times, but if you're throwing irons at kelp patties, id for sure agree ~ Go a bit heavier.

You could always get braid for catfish btw.

Been there, done that too with light line for yellowtail. It's fun but if I'm on a cattle boat, forget it, if on a private boat then that's a different story. It all just depends on the situation.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, thanks guys for all the info,

I didn't know you could put braided line on a spinning reel? or even want to?

Mike