PDA

View Full Version : Particular species for a spinning reel

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
To all,
I'll post this in the saltwater section, too.
I have a good sized spinning reel. The callout on the line is 12-14-17 with 320-240-170yds, respectively.
I,orginally, bought it for catfish but, now I'm finding a need to go even higher up on the line, especially, for the river and those blues at Otay.

Question- What species of fish can I go with this type of line poundage? Salt or Fresh, doesn't matter.

Mike

Ray Lopez
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
To all,
I'll post this in the saltwater section, too.
I have a good sized spinning reel. The callout on the line is 12-14-17 with 320-240-170yds, respectively.
I,orginally, bought it for catfish but, now I'm finding a need to go even higher up on the line, especially, for the river and those blues at Otay.

Question- What species of fish can I go with this type of line poundage? Salt or Fresh, doesn't matter.

Mike

dude that is a very resousreful reel size. Pretty much good for striper, catfish, largemouth bass, wipers, etc.....

then salt you can use that for surf fishing also for shallow salt water fishing.

12-17lbs line reels are very good i got a few of them on hand for many different reasons.

cappo
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Could use it for calico or bonitos.

fisherman from long beach
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
i use 6-8;lbs in the harbor,and 12-15 when i take the boat out to the break water

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for your inputs

Hey Ray, this reel used for LMB? bait and wait? it seem kind of bulky for lures.

fisherman from long beach, "take the boat out to the breakwater" you mean your own or a rental skiff?

What do you guys think about 1/2 dayers on fishing boats? right now their catching sand and calico bass, blacksmith, and half moon fish.

Mike

fisherman from long beach
01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
i take my own boat.and go ahead and take 1/2day or 3/4 .that reel would just fine.