PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid stripers being planted in Irvine next week!

Steve Carson
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
All,
Just got the word that we were able to acquire 4,000 pounds of hybrid striped bass [wipers] in the 1.5 to 2-pound class.
We decided to wait for this heavy weather to pass before stocking them, so it will be sometime late next week.
They will be strictly on a "catch-and-release" basis only, the same as the other bass species in the lake.
Have fun with them!

MAVERICK27
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Awesome, so does this mean that in the next season or two, we can catch some 5-6 Lb wipers? Will they flourish there or will that 4000 Lbs be gone before next season?

Steve Carson
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
We have planted these hybridized fish intermittently over the years; their lifespan appears to be about 5-10 years in the lake, with a maximum size of 18.6 pounds.
However, as sterile hybrids [striped bass X white bass], they cannot spawn or reproduce.

NoHo ART
01-20-2010, 01:51 PM
where is bingjr he wanted them more then anyone

dfisher
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
are these like the regular stripers? Do they prey off the other fish?

Lipripper93561
01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Wipers Wipers Wipers......yeah more fish to catch, short lifespan though, it will get more diversity out there and heck yeah they eat fish, but I imagine the 1.5 pounders will make a nice meal for a few LMB out there as well.

JigStop
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Most of the "team" people don't know the word release. Once the word got out on the Elsinore wipers it only took about 6 months for them to get wiped off the map. The hybrids will eat anything that moves, especially ghost shrimp.

TroutOnly
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
WITH ALL THE SHAD AND OTHER FRY FISH TO EAT THEY WILL GET BIG FAST,AND DONT WORRY ABOUT BING JR HES READING THIS RIGHT NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

pasadenafishin
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
YESS!! finally..

anyone have any tips on catching them?

crappiemike
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
most of the "team" people don't know the word release. Once the word got out on the elsinore wipers it only took about 6 months for them to get wiped off the map. The hybrids will eat anything that moves, especially ghost shrimp.

well said,,, hats off to irvine lake on these fish's.....

Cm

Fisherman57
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks Steve for the update!
Exciting news!

Most of the "team" people don't know the word release. Once the word got out on the Elsinore wipers it only took about 6 months for them to get wiped off the map. The hybrids will eat anything that moves, especially ghost shrimp.

well said,,, hats off to irvine lake on these fish's.....

Cm

Yeah, I've seen some "teams" working Elsinore pretty hard at times too.......

However IMO, the major "fish die off" they had last year was a major contributor to the Wiper population reduction at Elsinore.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=36399&highlight=elsinore (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=36399&highlight=elsinore)

FNN / TEAM 57's position is simple (we encourage C&R)..... but as we all know, each individual is responsible for their own actions......
http://www.team57fishing.com/about.html

Looking forward to seeing Wipers again at Irvine!

bassassassin
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
great idea... not, how are the largemouth supposed to reproduce with a bunch of striper/wiper hybrids eating all their fry and eating all the shad that make the largemouth so fat in the summer and fall

this sux

paco
01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
great idea... not, how are the largemouth supposed to reproduce with a bunch of striper/wiper hybrids eating all their fry and eating all the shad that make the largemouth so fat in the summer and fall

this sux

Awesome point bassassin......enough said!

Fishbones
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
we gotta think of the pros and cons of this....PRO.. more fish to catch on those slow days.....CONS.. wipers eat everything saving nothing for the largemouth and everything else..PRO...its a different kind of fishing other than trout..CON.. there catch&release..PRO..if they will stock wipers they might stock other species later on...CON...it might turn anglers away...PRO...it will give people that have never caught a wiper a chance to catch one.....fishbones

Prowler_Tuber
01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
More fun on the Float Tube!! Thanks for an excuse to buy new tackle.

fishinone
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
We have planted these hybridized fish intermittently over the years; their lifespan appears to be about 5-10 years in the lake, with a maximum size of 18.6 pounds.
However, as sterile hybrids [striped bass X white bass], they cannot spawn or reproduce.

This is good news. I've never caught a wiper and I would like to.

If they burn out and die in 5 -10 yrs why not set a limit on them that will allow anglers to keep the biggest ones? How long is 10 or 12 lb wiper? They will have to be replaced anyway.

riverbud55
01-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh well so much for the crappie and blue gill fishing, in few years they will be all gone for the most part, hope the lake has in there budget to buy the extra pan size trout to keep them fed and keep the trout guys happy, by the time there 5lb should be able to eat up 1 limit a week and by the time they get 15lb maybe 4 or 5, just think a 1000 15lb er's eating 5 limits a week, but guess it all about the big buck

man I luv the pay lakes, keeps them all in OC and away from the river

good luck

Troutslayer620
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Damn, there goes all the trout! :EyePop:

formosa
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
it wouldn't that bad if vine set limited 1 wiper and size, said 18". but heck who knows what will happen?

farmerandy16
01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
why not stock 4000lbs of more trout instead?

just my two cents..

troutdog
01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
why not stock 4000lbs of more trout instead?

just my two cents..

I agree....four hundred or so 8-12lbers :BabbleFish: would sure be a nice addition to the lake after the rains!:Big Grin:

TD

farmerandy16
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
how about 3000lbs of 2lb+ trout?

and 2000lbs of 6+lb trout?

just my two cents

farmerandy16
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
but 400 8-12 lbers would be pretty damn good also

hahaha

bassassassin
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
i keep looking at this and shaking my head. so much forage down the toilet. great thing is........ irvine has mad poachers and almost zero enforcement. Wipers be gone in 2.5 seconds. lol
werent people knocking another socal lake just last season for planting wipers>>>>>>hmmmm

someone knows what there talkin about

Prowler_Tuber
01-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I see there are a lot of mixed feelings about these Wipers but we are fisherman which means were just going to have to fish around these guys. I fish DVL and they have big *** Stripers there and Bass but I still find the trout. My feelings are that we just got to roll with the punches. They had the opportunity to stock these and they took it. Its a lake not a trout lake so lets try and keep and open mind and remember we are fisherman and we just have to use our skills that separate us from the rest of the crowd.

fongster
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Sounds fun but I'd rather leave all the shad for the LMBs so they get fatter.

sansou
01-24-2010, 08:02 PM
I applaud Irvine Lake for taking the initiative and putting in something different in their lake. Smart move.

LMB fishing can be had at any other number of lakes, and the mere introduction of so few of these wipers does not completely preclude LMB and panfish from continuing to flourish. If that were the case, then most of the lakes in Texas would be barren.

There are still LMB in Castaic and Pyramid lake, right?

:Applause:

Ifishtoolittle
01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
4000lbs of wipers which run at about 2lbs ea is only about 2000 fish. First, we need to consider how many may die during the stock due to a sudden shock of lake temp. Next, wipers are sterile so this will not continue. They don't live very long and most bass and trout and cats are larger than these wipers. The wipers will even become bass food. With all this in mind let's consider whether wipers will really do any signicant damage to the Lake. That is of course if the lake will be continually recieveing stockings of the fish.

crappiemike
01-24-2010, 09:10 PM
As for the crappie's at irvine it might just
help the lake out,because there are soo
many dinks to go through.........

They will not last that long,,,

cm

Hitts0n
01-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Im done reading this.No one is ever happy.All people do on here is wine and cry about what Irvine management do with their lake.If you guys are so good at putting what when and where in a lake,why dont you get your own so we can fish that perfect lake.Big grown *** cry babies:Bawling:.Wipers will not kill off life.Castaic still has thousands of lmb.Pyramid still has lmb,smb,cats,trout,crappie,blue gill,muscle,sun fish,state perch.Dayum.....cry cry cry ! :Bawling:If you guys dont like what Irvine is doing....you already know ! Go Irvine !:UDaMan: I cant wait to catch my first few Wipers! I bet the Hitt's bait will do great ! Chovies n Dines will do also!:Flamethrower:

boxl0bster
01-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Im done reading this.No one is ever happy.All people do on here is wine and cry about what Irvine management do with their lake.If you guys are so good at putting what when and where in a lake,why dont you get your own so we can fish that perfect lake.Big grown *** cry babies:Bawling:.Wipers will not kill off life.Castaic still has thousands of lmb.Pyramid still has lmb,smb,cats,trout,crappie,blue gill,muscle,sun fish,state perch.Dayum.....cry cry cry ! :Bawling:If you guys dont like what Irvine is doing....you already know ! Go Irvine !:UDaMan: I cant wait to catch my first few Wipers! I bet the Hitt's bait will do great ! Chovies n Dines will do also!:Flamethrower:

LOL, thank you!!! :High Five:

im sick and tired of all this b$%ing and crying. i want me some wipers too!:Thumbs Up:

muskyman
01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
What the lake really needs is some tiger muskies. Now that's something that will make the float tubers think twice ! Just put like 100 of them in there. Given mortality, bucket fisherman, ect. That will leave a few left to fish for. Given the fact that they shoot blanks, we don't have to worry about them winding up in petersons canyon reproducing and bla bla bla. Just get the bleeding heart liberals out of the offices in Sacramento and get some people in fish & game that have at least 1/8th of a clue of whats going on - and get this going !

Hitts0n
01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
hitts, you have posted reports that have negativity in them.

And always will....

But you will never hear about Hitts crying about another breed of fish being planted for familys to enjoy their days off.....Have you ever seen a child so happy just because he caught "something"? If you guys know how it feels to catch stripers then you feel what im saying.If a child hook up on one of these wipers,oh boy! This child will be the happiest camper of the month! This fish is probably the hardest fighting fish in socal lakes!
:Rolls Eyes:

Hitts0n
01-25-2010, 08:39 AM
What the lake really needs is some tiger muskies. Now that's something that will make the float tubers think twice ! Just put like 100 of them in there. Given mortality, bucket fisherman, ect. That will leave a few left to fish for. Given the fact that they shoot blanks, we don't have to worry about them winding up in petersons canyon reproducing and bla bla bla. Just get the bleeding heart liberals out of the offices in Sacramento and get some people in fish & game that have at least 1/8th of a clue of whats going on - and get this going !

Where have you been man?! Whats up with the fishing out there? ! Good to see you !

lalo56
01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I will have to make a trip down there soon.

TroutOnly
01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Wah armando i wanted stripers so they will breed and take over the lake,,,,lol,,,,,,

Seņor.Chilax
01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I cant wait to hook up to one of these wipers! I was thinking of going all the way to Castaic to fish these, NOT ANY MORE! Theyre right here, in my back yard, nice job Vine.

Hitts0n
01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Wah armando i wanted stripers so they will breed and take over the lake,,,,lol,,,,,,

hell yeah !!:Twisted::Twisted: