PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a beginner in bass fishing

Tora
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I want to get started in bass fishing and was wondering what the best all purpose setup (rod and reel) would be. I was looking at the St. Croix Premier Series Trigger rod in the 6'6" or the St. Croix Mojo Bass Trigger in the 6'8" paired with a Shimano Curado or Citica Low Profile baitcast reel.... I'm sorry but I'm a beginner at this and want one good setup that can be used for a lot of stuff. I really like St Croix rods and Shimano reels. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

vanillagurilla
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
i would advise a 6'6"-7' rod with a curado 200 or 100 if you can find one with 6lb izor xxx. ive done everything with this setup. D/S, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, t-rig, c-rig, flyline senkos and ikas. i even use it to fish the bay but i use a different reel. brand of rod is a personal choice but i like shimano rods or diawa. to this day i use a shimano convergence rod and a corvalus 200 for almoast everything. the main thing is get a MEDIUM action rod with a fast taper. this will give you some back bone with the tip being soft enough to throw flylined baits or to fish a spinnerbait.

DarkShadow
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Powell 703 CEF or something similar. You can also use a 702 if u want something a tad lighter.

In a pinch, my 703 has thrown a bunch of different baits in various situations and is a great all around rod in this age of technique specific marketing.

Fire Ball
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
For an all purpose baitcaster, I would go with a a 7 foot, medium-heavy power, fast action rod and then just about any low profile baitcaster spooled with 12 lb test copolymer or fluorocarbon line. As for a spinning setup, probably a 7 foot, medium power, fast action, then a good 2500 size reel with 8 or 10 lb test. Just my :My Two Cents:.

The Mojo Bass series of rods are awesome and Shimano Citicas are pretty nice.

vanillagurilla
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
damn 12lb tst? i dont ever go above 8lb and i only use that when throwing LC's for halibut or using ikas. other than that i havent broken off a fish on 6lb.

Fire Ball
01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
damn 12lb tst? i dont ever go above 8lb and i only use that when throwing LC's for halibut or using ikas. other than that i havent broken off a fish on 6lb.

12 lb test is not heavy for a baitcaster. 10 and 12 lb are the minimum for most people when using baitcasters, lol. You are probably going to end up with problems with 6 lb test on a baitcaster. I heard that it digs into itself and backlashes are very hard to get out with light line! Believe me, when you hook into a big bass, you are going to want that 12 lb test, haha. I would definitely go with 6, 8, or 10 (10 as the absolute most) for a spinning reel.

pasadenafishin
01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I fish 8 or 10 on my baitcasters. I wish i was ballsy enough to go to 6, but i dont wanna break off that DD.
For spincasting im a finesse kind of person using 4 or 6 (or 4 lbs diameter braid but 10 lbs strength)

12 lb test is not heavy for a baitcaster. 10 and 12 lb are the minimum for most people when using baitcasters, lol. You are probably going to end up with problems with 6 lb test on a baitcaster. I heard that it digs into itself and backlashes are very hard to get out with light line! Believe me, when you hook into a big bass, you are going to want that 12 lb test, haha. I would definitely go with 6, 8, or 10 (10 as the absolute most) for a spinning reel.

GeordyBass
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I use 10lb Flouro.... Or 30lb braid, but i dont like braid too much because it's not too sensitive...

Tora
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Thank you to everyone who's replied to this thread. It's ALL very useful information and i love it! I know its probably best to get a baitcaster setup and a spinning reel setup so both info is very helpful! The info about what line to use is helpful too. I've mainly been fishin for trout and the whole bass fishing thing is new to me but I really wanna get into it. Thanks again.

Rakie
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.

I mean, half the time the bass around here are in the 2lbs range, sure they get hefty but odds are you're gonna land a lot more 2lbs bass than 10lbs bass.

Id go with a nice simple spinning rod, 4-12# rod using a reel (hopefully with two spools) one with 6# test, another spool with 8# or maybe 10# for throwing lures.

I think that would give you the most versatility, and I think that's what you really need when you're looking for a 1 rod / 1 reel (2 spool) solution.

Good luck, lots of choices out there. I prefer shimano rods to shimano reels.

Tight lines,
~Rakie

calico killer kevin
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
A spinning reel with 6lb braid and a medium powered 6'8"-7'2" rod.

I use 10lb Flouro.... Or 30lb braid, but i dont like braid too much because it's not too sensitive...
Wait what?

lurk 182
01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I want to get started in bass fishing and was wondering what the best all purpose setup (rod and reel) would be. I was looking at the St. Croix Premier Series Trigger rod in the 6'6" or the St. Croix Mojo Bass Trigger in the 6'8" paired with a Shimano Curado or Citica Low Profile baitcast reel.... I'm sorry but I'm a beginner at this and want one good setup that can be used for a lot of stuff. I really like St Croix rods and Shimano reels. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

i think you're right on track with a six and a half to seven foot medium or medium heavy baitcast setup as far as all around bass setup. i'd suggest 10lb. monofilament (maybe berkeley big game- its good for the price) and try to throw maybe 1/2 oz. lures until you get the casting figured out (lighter ones take a bit more skill). maybe your second setup could be a medium spinning setup for six pound and dropshotting and whatnot. i like the premier and mojo series rods BTW, and the citica is a great reel for the price.

DarkShadow
01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.

I'd like to think that I'm hunting hogs everytime my bait hits the water.

;-)

Plus, itd be a tad hard to fish a 3/4 oz jig, a Norman DD-22, a carolina rig, and countless other presentations with just a spinning reel.

If the original poster is inquiring about a multi-species freshwater rod, I can see steering them towards a spining reel.

But IMHO, you'll be limiting yourself with getting a spinning rod, especially if you want to become serious about fishing for the largemouth trout eater.

carpanglerdude
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
My two cents-I've been bass fishing for at least 5 years+ and I've only used a spinning reel/rod setup. No baitcaster here.

Keep in mind that I mostly throw lightweight stuff, biggest swimbait I have isn't only 4 inches...heh

Fishbones
01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
SPINNING REEL:for lighter line,high wind,targeting smaller fish,using smaller lures
BAITCASTER: for targeting larger fish,to control your cast,fish larger line&lures

Im not saying you cant fish 4-6lb on a baitcaster cuz you can and i have. Baitcaster you can thumb the spool to cast accurately into the smallest of holes
and it seems that the baitcasters spool when casted feeds the line out instead of a spinning reel where there is line drag from the spool.
A spinning reel will cast farther easier in high wind than a baitcaster will.
even the pros with the expensive gear will get a backlash every now and then in high wind.

you almost have to have both .....

Rakie
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd like to think that I'm hunting hogs everytime my bait hits the water.

;-)

Plus, itd be a tad hard to fish a 3/4 oz jig, a Norman DD-22, a carolina rig, and countless other presentations with just a spinning reel.

If the original poster is inquiring about a multi-species freshwater rod, I can see steering them towards a spining reel.

But IMHO, you'll be limiting yourself with getting a spinning rod, especially if you want to become serious about fishing for the largemouth trout eater.

I've gotta say I disagree with all points.

First off, if you can't fish a Carolina rig with a spinning outfit, you've got some problems.. Any presentation can easily be made with a spinning or casting setup. That being said, I believe baitcasting rods are more limiting than spinning rods. Spinning rods are sorta designed to be 'all purpose', which makes more advanced fisherman scoff at them, however not many people look at a baitcasting rod and say "WOW, this would be great for anything!" they say "this would be great for crankbaits" or "Too stiff to dropshot with, but it would be great for ____", etc etc. Baitcasting rods are designed to do specific things, sure, you can do about anything with any type of rod, baitcasting included.

But I honestly feel spinning outfits are more versatile ~ My spinning rod collection is a few, my baitcasting rods were around 10 ~ All for very different and specific things / situations.

I feel what you're saying, and I'm not calling you out or anything like that. I just humbly disagree :)

Tight lines,
~Rakie.

calico killer kevin
01-22-2010, 11:05 PM

First off, if you can't fish a Carolina rig with a spinning outfit, you've got some problems.. Any presentation can easily be made with a spinning or casting setup. That being said, I believe baitcasting rods are more limiting than spinning rods. Spinning rods are sorta designed to be 'all purpose', which makes more advanced fisherman scoff at them, however not many people look at a baitcasting rod and say "WOW, this would be great for anything!" they say "this would be great for crankbaits" or "Too stiff to dropshot with, but it would be great for ____", etc etc. Baitcasting rods are designed to do specific things, sure, you can do about anything with any type of rod, baitcasting included.

But I honestly feel spinning outfits are more versatile ~ My spinning rod collection is a few, my baitcasting rods were around 10 ~ All for very different and specific things / situations.

I feel what you're saying, and I'm not calling you out or anything like that. I just humbly disagree :)

Tight lines,
~Rakie.
I don't think you understand what Carolina rig he's talking about.
Can't fish DD22 on spinning gear.
Personally, there are few things I can't do with my medium casting setup and this includes UL and heavy lures. Casting setups IMO are more of a pleasure to fish than spinning gear. There is a casting setup for 95% of bass fishing techniques whereas spinning gear can only handle 50%. But of course, this is all JMO.

The only reason I recommended spinning gear is because the OP seems to be new to bass fishing and catching solid bass on the DS ans shakeyhead is a good way to begin. But of course, this is all JMO.

That Dang Guy
01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Some of you guys are missing the point. The OP is asking for advice for two rods, one spinning and one casting. Limiting yourself to two casting rods or two spinning rods reduces your verstatility by leaps and bounds.

A 1000 size reel with 6 lbs and a casting reel with 8lbs or 10 will get you a LOOOONG way. You have remember we're looking for maximum potential. This means you're looking for middle of the road gear. You won't be able to throw heavy swimbaits or the UL stuff with either rod.

Spinning-
Handles drop shot, small weightless flukes, shakey heads, iichi jigs, wacky rigs, texas rigs, small cranks.
6'6''-7'2'' M. XFast. Don't go less than an M. The lure range gets too light to be versatile. Think finesse. (Go to rod for me)

Casting-
Handles large weightless plastics (Senkos, Ikas, grubs, flukes,), carolina rigs (deep water 3/4-1oz), football jigs, crankbaits (>1/4oz), spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and topwater.

6'6''-6'8''. M-MH. Fast action. I like a slightly heavier rod for these applications, but an M is okay as well. That extra backbone for setting the hook through soft plastics help. It also gives you move initial moving power to get fish away from cover. The shorter rod will be less of an issue when working tip down applications (topwater and jerkbaits) when working from shore. Don't muscle fish too much when using treble hooks, you risk pulling hooks with the faster action.

I tend lean towards mid-high priced gear, so I'll let everyone else chime in about what rods/reels to use. But! Between the citica and the curado, get the citica. You're aiming for heavier applications with the casting rod. The benefits of the curado become more apparent when you're throwing lighter stuff.

Socal Bassman
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Tight lines,
~Rakie.

I've been bass fishing for 12 years and I can honestly say that there is no one type of rod, spinning or casting, that can do everything. With more and more rod manufacturers turning their focus more on "technique specific" rods, neither spinning or casting has a great advantage over the other. For example, my dropshot rod works great for fishing a dropshot, split shot, and shakey heads. But there is no way I will be able to fish a Carolina rig with a 3/4oz. weight or more effectively with this rod. Likewise, my 7'MH rod I use for medium - deep diving cranks, Carolina rigs, jigs, and spinner baits does really well fishing these techniques. However, it will not cast a light dropshot or split shot very far with any accuracy. If I had to choose one setup in my arsenal that will do most of the techniques that I fish, I would have to go with the Kistler He2MHC69 with a Shimano Chronarch 100MG spooled with 8lb. test Seaguar Carbon Pro fluorocarbon. If the original poster wants to really make sure that he's got all the bases covered, and this is just my opinion, he should get a 7'M action spinning rod and a 7'MH action casting rod.

That Dang Guy
01-23-2010, 11:09 AM
If the original poster wants to really make sure that he's got all the bases covered, and this is just my opinion, he should get a 7'M action spinning rod and a 7'MH action casting rod.

And I agree with your opinion! =D

Used is a great way to get into a rod as well. Shimano has a fantastic warranty.

Alexi
01-23-2010, 12:47 PM

I mean, half the time the bass around here are in the 2lbs range, sure they get hefty but odds are you're gonna land a lot more 2lbs bass than 10lbs bass.

Id go with a nice simple spinning rod, 4-12# rod using a reel (hopefully with two spools) one with 6# test, another spool with 8# or maybe 10# for throwing lures.

I think that would give you the most versatility, and I think that's what you really need when you're looking for a 1 rod / 1 reel (2 spool) solution.

Tight lines,
~Rakie

bingo!

oh and you you could have one rod and one reel, as a beginner..

spinning
reel: shimano sonora or sahara 2500 size
rod: shimano sojourn sjs-70m2 line wt. 6-14# length 7'0 lure wt. 1/4-3/4 oz.

the whole setup you can get for around 60-75 dollars. its very affordable but very effective! for the size of fish you will be targeting, that setup should work just fine. hell, honestly, it is my favorite setup. the great thing about shimano reels, is that i believe they still include 2 spools with the sonora and sedona models, and you can find last years model of the reels online for 25 bucks sometimes!

Rakie
01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Some of you guys are missing the point. The OP is asking for advice for two rods, one spinning and one casting. Limiting yourself to two casting rods or two spinning rods reduces your verstatility by leaps and bounds.

Actually, he's not. He's asking if he could only have ONE rod and ONE reel, which to get. You've misread his post, he was just asking about TWO DIFFERENT rods, that doesn't mean he wants to buy two rods.

I've been bass fishing for 12 years and I can honestly say that there is no one type of rod, spinning or casting, that can do everything. With more and more rod manufacturers turning their focus more on "technique specific" rods, neither spinning or casting has a great advantage over the other. For example, my dropshot rod works great for fishing a dropshot, split shot, and shakey heads. But there is no way I will be able to fish a Carolina rig with a 3/4oz. weight or more effectively with this rod. Likewise, my 7'MH rod I use for medium - deep diving cranks, Carolina rigs, jigs, and spinner baits does really well fishing these techniques. However, it will not cast a light dropshot or split shot very far with any accuracy.

You misread my post.. Because you just agreed with me and strengthened my point. The only thing you disagree with was which thing we suggested he picked up.

I'm not sure how you misread my post so much.. You literally said everything I said, while saying I was wrong. Reread it more carefully, sure I think you can get away with a little more than you can. (IE, if you brought your crankbait rod ONLY, and you tried to use some other method with it, I said the fisherman can adapt, you make it sound like they cant)

One thing to keep in mind is this guy is a beginner. And odds are he'll be doing a lot more light line presentations than heavy line fishing (throwing lures). I've suggested things that are basic and can handle most situations he'll encounter in so cal.

And you can trust me. I had an extremely wide variety of baitcasting rods and setups, and through almost 20 years of fishing experience in fresh water I've come to find I could manage almost all of it with spinning gear. Even my saltwater experience with our boat from Yellowtail to Surf fishing, I use more baitcasting ~ But I still use a lot of spinning outfits.

Why do 'bass fisherman' (And by that, I mean guys who ONLY fish bass) seem to feel spinning rods are so weak ? Or, that bass are so strong ? Sure they're a fun fish, but I've caught bait that fights harder than large mouth bass.

~Rakie.

Fire Ball
01-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Why do 'bass fisherman' (And by that, I mean guys who ONLY fish bass) seem to feel spinning rods are so weak ? Or, that bass are so strong ? Sure they're a fun fish, but I've caught bait that fights harder than large mouth bass.

Spinning gear is just not that accurate and you can use heavier line and lures, etc. with baitcasting gear with no problems. I don't only bass fish but I just see baitcasting gear a lot better suited for most kinds of fishing as long as the fish are good size, unless you are using finesse presentations, then I would go with spinning any day. Go catch a big bass and tell me how it fights, lol. Then you won't say they are not strong.

Rakie
01-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Spinning gear is just not that accurate and you can use heavier line and lures, etc. with baitcasting gear with no problems. I don't only bass fish but I just see baitcasting gear a lot better suited for most kinds of fishing as long as the fish are good size, unless you are using finesse presentations, then I would go with spinning any day. Go catch a big bass and tell me how it fights, lol. Then you won't say they are not strong.

Go catch a tuna and tell me how a bass fights.. lol.

The biggest bass I've caught was shy of 7 lbs, got him on 6# test. Not the biggest bass, I know. But I've landed 20# yellowtail on 12# test. You could argue there is less cover and all that jazz, sure. But the way I see it is this.

You guys are using industrial power tools to catch bait.

Alexi
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Spinning gear is just not that accurate

that depends on one thing only......the skill of the fisherman

BassButcher
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM

It depends, I've fished a pro am tourney up at Clear Lake. I had 15 lb. floro on my jig stick, 8-10 lb. floro on a shakeyhead/dropshot spinning rod, and 10 lb. floro on my crankin rod and was whackin bass up to 8 lbs. But since my home lake is Castaic and I mostly fish these clear deep reservoirs, I've had to scale down. I use 5 or 6 lb on my dropshot rod. 6 or 8 lb on my crankbait rod. and 8 lb on my jig stick. I'd probably scale up in the summer as there is a lot of weed growth at the lagoon.

Also, I think I agree with Rakie, If you're new to bass fishing a spinning combo will catch you a lot of fish in socal reservoirs. Theres been so many times I've had to pick up my spinning rod just to get a bite. But if you're set on gettin a baitcaster, think about what you're mostly gonna use it for. I like a softer rod (medium/medium light) for crankin and a stiffer rod(medium heavy/heavy) for senkos, jigs, carolina rigs (3/4-1oz sinker for deep water). Hope this helps and good luck with your bass fishing ventures. You're gonna love the frustration and the payoff. That's why I love this sport so much.

Fire Ball
01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Go catch a tuna and tell me how a bass fights.. lol.

The biggest bass I've caught was shy of 7 lbs, got him on 6# test. Not the biggest bass, I know. But I've landed 20# yellowtail on 12# test. You could argue there is less cover and all that jazz, sure. But the way I see it is this.

You guys are using industrial power tools to catch bait.

Yes, but I am sure the tuna were bigger than any bass every caught, lol. Yes, there is less cover and everything for them to go break you off in so sometimes you need to horse them in. Catching a 20 lb yellowtail is different than catching a 20 lb bass because they get very obese at a certain point. :ROFL: I don't know how yellowtail fight though, but I have heard they fight a LOT.

that depends on one thing only......the skill of the fisherman

Try and be accurate with spinning gear and then try baitcasting gear. You will definitely be able to cast more accurately with the baitcasting gear, even though you can still be accurate with spinning gear, you can just enhance that accuracy with baitcasting gear.

Lightline
01-24-2010, 08:27 AM

Tight lines,
~Rakie

I agree spinning reels are more versatile, 2 spools, most are not hogs.

Lightlines.

GeordyBass
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
A spinning reel with 6lb braid and a medium powered 6'8"-7'2" rod.

Wait what?:LOL::Envious:

I don't use braid for spinning reels, unless I'm fishing heavy cover or throwin lures at the duct,,,:Cool:

Braid for baitcasters, I'll use em for crankbaits, and swimbaits....

GeordyBass
01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I suggest you start off with a Citica 200E and a 7' MH Fast Shimano Clarus. That would be the good all purpose, I'd still opt for a longer rod,7'3", 7'4" or 7'6" MH and have a longer sweep when setting the hook. 2 setups will be better than one! Get 1 spinning and one casting...

My fav setups:
My Baitcasting Rod is a 7'6" MH Crucial with a Citica 200E.
Spinning is a 7'3" Carrot Stix and Daiwa Sol 2500.

You don't have to spend that much money, but stick with a Shimano Rod, they have Lifetime Warranties... If they ever break, you'll usually get a brand new for free; no questions asked,,, :-)

Fire Ball
01-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I suggest you start off with a Citica 200E and a 7' MH Fast Shimano Clarus. That would be the good all purpose, I'd still opt for a longer rod,7'3", 7'4" or 7'6" MH and have a longer sweep when setting the hook. 2 setups will be better than one! Get 1 spinning and one casting...

My fav setups:
My Baitcasting Rod is a 7'6" MH Crucial with a Citica 200E.
Spinning is a 7'3" Carrot Stix and Daiwa Sol 2500.

You don't have to spend that much money, but stick with a Shimano Rod, they have Lifetime Warranties... If they ever break, you'll usually get a brand new for free; no questions asked,,, :-)

I completely agree with Geordy, but you don't have to spend as much money as he wants you to. :ROFL:

Not all Shimano rods and reels have a lifetime warranty, but I don't know if they will replace rods if they break when your warranty is up since I haven't broken any Shimano products yet! I know that Pure Fishing (they own Abu Gacia, Berkley, and more) will replace rods for free if they break, even when they are not under warranty. They don't ask for a receipt to make sure you still have a warranty or anything!

calico killer kevin
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I've never been asked for a receipt when replacing my Shimano rods. All the rods in the Clarus lineup and up are covered by the limited lifetime warranty. I believe I've demo'ed every single rod in the Compre lineup by now.

Fire Ball
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I've never been asked for a receipt when replacing my Shimano rods. All the rods in the Clarus lineup and up are covered by the limited lifetime warranty. I believe I've demo'ed every single rod in the Compre lineup by now.

Well, if the rods you have all have lifetime warranties, it doesn't matter when you purchased it, lol. Have you tried getting a replacement for a rod without a lifetime warranty before?

GeordyBass
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I've never been asked for a receipt when replacing my Shimano rods. All the rods in the Clarus lineup and up are covered by the limited lifetime warranty. I believe I've demo'ed every single rod in the Compre lineup by now.I have broken 3 Crucials, 1 Clarus,1 convergence.... All were replaced No questions asked, Over The Counter....

And No, You don't need to buy really expensive gear, but get something that will last a long time. Shimano Clarus are usually $60-$80.... All Lifetime Warranty.... The Convergence series are about $30-$50 and Lifetime Warranty, though, not many places carry them, so it is better to get a Clarus because they are so common....

I've tried getting a berkeley lightning rod replaced, but nope....

FB, Me and Kev will Stick to Shimano...lol jk...

I'll also stick to my carrot stix... They have lifetime warranties as well!

FishEye
01-28-2010, 02:22 AM

Go with a 6'-7' Med. casting rod with a line rate of 8-17lbs and handles 1/4-5/8oz lures. With this setup you can use jigs, t-rigs, c-rigs, flyline senkos, swimbaits, cranks, topwater plugs, and jerk baits. The conventional setup really shines when your using topwater plugs, jerkbaits, and flipping jigs; which is what you'll mostly be doing during the height of LMB season. IMO its much easier to "walk the dog" with a conventional reel than a spinning, furthermore I find it annoying to have to open the bail each time I cast especially when your flipping or jerking on bedded bass. Dont get me wrong a spinning setup is integral for finesse but in late February when that full moon pops up and those Bass begin bedding and rubbing you'll be plenty glad to have a conventional setup. Since its your first setup you dont have to break the bank; go with a new rod and search for a good used baitcaster. Something like the older Shimano Bantam Curado CU101 is perfect for a beginner and can be had at a reasonable price if you can find it. My go to setup is a 6'6'' BassPro Shop rod with a Bantam Curado CU101B(I'm a lefty) spooled with 8lb test. I bought that setup a few years ago as a combo from BPS and was a bargain at $140. One thing about conventional reels is you gotta get out and use it in order to learn how it works. Practice flipping and casting in your yard and it will really help in minimizing backlash when your out on the water.