PDA

View Full Version : Duct Slingin' In The Rain

yolo
01-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Hit the local duct this morning for a quickie. No water movement at all except for the water coming out of the sky and pounding me, lol. Only hit and worked one spot. About 10 minutes into it, I get a hit and hook up and after a short battle land a 6 lber. I keep working it moving about 15 yards from the other hit and I get hit again. Set the hook and it is on. It hit real close to me working it off the bottom and up the angles cement. It runs to the middle and is peeling drag and I'm working it for 5 seconds and it gets off. I keep working the section and the wind gusts are strong and am getting pelted with rain and at times some big drops. I am now pretty soaked but determined to get the one that got away or his relative. I'm bouncing the side still like I got the other two hits on and after several minutes of working it, I get a soft hit and a slow slack line movement. I know it's a fish and I set the hook and this thing screams away from me making a good, strong run and peeling drag. I can't turn it or slow it down so I let him do his thing. After a few seconds, I stop him and make a little progress reeling in but once again he runs. We repeat this a few times and I finally get it to the edge and sling it up the cement side. It's a nice 9 lber.

By now, the wind is gusting and still raining. I have about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk back to my car and I decide to call it a morning. I was not out there too long and managed to hook all three hits but did end up farming one. They seemed to be near a road drain that was slowly flowing rain run off into the duct. They were also really close to the edge. It was fun slingin' in the rain this morning!

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct1-20-10_2.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct1-20-10_1.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct1-20-10_3.jpg

Low Budget
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Yolo!!!Dam brother you got the duct down.. I need to hook up with you and you can school me on the striper tips.. You pull them out on the regular nice fish good job once again!
Jay
L.B.F.S

yolo
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks but I have 20+ years of the duct catching and skunking too. There were more fish back in the day but much smaller too.

fisherman from long beach
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
yolo you are the man,in the rain,battling,the jail fish.good job great report,even better fisherman.

trail blazer
01-20-2010, 10:06 AM
WTG YOLO!!!!!!!
Showing those stripers whos boss again i see,,,,KUDOS

fishinone
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Yolo,

Your a machine. Nice Catching.

yolo
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Some days things just go your way. Even with 2 landed, I have to think of the one that got away. That's the one that pisses you off. You never know what you had on.

fishinone
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Some days things just go your way. Even with 2 landed, I have to think of the one that got away. That's the one that pisses you off. You never know what you had on.

Don't get me started. those stories just go on and on.:LOL:

Lipripper93561
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Looks like the stripers are looking for any moving water up here now since the flows have been so low. Good job out there.

4eye31
01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
what lake was this at

yolo
01-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Looks like the stripers are looking for any moving water up here now since the flows have been so low. Good job out there.

It was very little trickling water. There are road drainage run offs all over the duct and spaced kind of like the ladders. It could have just been coincidence too but that is where I got them?

what lake was this at

The 440 mile long concrete lake. :Big Grin: It was in the California aqueduct and not at any lake. You can see it in the background of the pic.

M@M
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Nice job again finding the fish!! You are a master!!:Smile:
No substitute for experience!!!! nice!!

tpfishnfool
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
what lake was this at

Lake Aquaductophylarcapoto its in Pompton..

yolo
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Lake Aquaductophylarcapoto its in Pompton..

:ROFL:Good one

HaiTheMeister
01-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Dude! Great job! It's been slow and you still managed to get them.

yolo
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah the flow situation has sucked but they can be found. With the repairs at Silverwood coming up, I don't see the flow changing for awhile, unfortunately.

INDOANGLER2.1
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey Yolo, once again great job. I haven't caught anything as of late but then again i don't put the time in like you and others do, even though i practically live next to the duct. I am not much of night fisherman so I do like the fact that your showing folks that you can catch them during the day. Thanks for the post.