PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Hali

MammothMagic
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Well I ment for this report to be about calicos in the kelp from a kayak but 10 min after rounding the harbor I was blown 200yards down the breakwater so I decided to go back in the harbor. Their was not much current at all but I did manange one Hali on a bassbro brand pecile lure in rainbow trout. I was casting it all over but this hali was right next to the restaraunt 8ft off the rocks. I have only been fishing trout latley in order to promote my mammothmagic trout bait and forgot how hard saltwater fish fight "man I love it."

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af281/mammothmagic/halibit-1-1.jpg

pasadenafishin
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice looking hali

*i can see it already saltwater brand Mammoth magic errr newport magic* LOL

cjmedina
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
nice halibut. what was the final size and weight? did you end up keeping it?

victor101
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Congrats! Very nice hali.

old pudd fisher
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
So nice I have to get out there.

BIGRED KILLA
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice halibut esp since the weather has not been so good.

Bigred

Rakie
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Hah, funny. I was just looking at those lures at bass pro shops. I've been wanted to invest in some crankbaits without paying the LC 110 price ;p

I know I've seen a lot of guys on the surf with halibut and some type of non LC lure hanging out of their mouth so I know other stuff out there works well (but to be fair, i've seen just as many or more with LC lures dangling from their jaws).

One silly thing I've noticed is fishing with LC's people get a lot of stuff out of the surf, but when I see people fish LC Clones or just other shallow diving crankbaits I don't see them holding up anything but halis. Wonder if thats connected in some way or those people all just coincidentally didn't show or mention their other catches.

Either way ~ Good job ! Nice seeing people on the water producing.

Tight lines
~Rakie

winningman
01-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Nic~e
hali

MammothMagic
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
nice halibut. what was the final size and weight? did you end up keeping it?

I didn't even pull it out of the water, but I am guessing it was right around 20" but no clue on the weight. I love the taste of halibut "one of my favs" but I don't think I would ever keep one from dana harbor no matter how legal it was. ewuuuuuu."

hbomb
01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Nice Hali. :Cool:

smokehound
01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I didn't even pull it out of the water, but I am guessing it was right around 20" but no clue on the weight. I love the taste of halibut "one of my favs" but I don't think I would ever keep one from dana harbor no matter how legal it was. ewuuuuuu.":LOL: its not that bad.. Dana harbor is a hell of alot cleaner than newport harbor. South-OC = Way cleaner than North-Oc.

Fishbones
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
a calm weather hali is better than a blow away yak...nice halibut...

fishindude420
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
nice hali!

Santa Fe Eric
01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
What a great read! Especially on a day like today when all I can do is sit in my cubicle and dream about the undeniable head shakes of a Halibut on 6 or 8 pound line!

DEADROOTS
01-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Ive thrown that exact lure over a dozen different occasions and never even felt a tap. I glad to see someone got a fish out of the salt with it. Maybe I just have bad luck with it... GOOD JOB!

DEADROOTS-

oakboy
02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I've been wanted to invest in some crankbaits without paying the LC 110 price

Call me stupid, but what is LC?

<><
KP

bsp
02-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Lucky Craft = LC. It usually refers to the Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110.

ToadsToadsOnly
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Before I got into fishing Halibut with the LC's I purchased a bunch of the BPS brand suspending jerkbaits they do work well for the halibut. I caught numerous legals on them but the only thing is the quality of the baits they end up cracking on me. The bps brand jerkbaits do not cast as far as the LCs when fishing Halibut in the surf it is really difficult to launch those baits in the wind. The LC's have a rotating weight system which rotate to the bottom of the lure when you cast and rotate upwards when you crank. But the BPS baits do work and are 1/5 of the LC's price if you cannot find a color comparable to the LC's just go buy sharpie markers and do a little arts and craft. Also remember to buy the suspending one.