PDA

View Full Version : Shimano reel repair....

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Ive got a SHIMANO CURADO and a COSAIR300 that the cast button does not click up when the handle in engaged. Is this a simple fix that i can do my self or do i need to send them in for repair...fishbones

GeordyBass
01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Ive got a SHIMANO CURADO and a COSAIR300 that the cast button does not click up when the handle in engaged. Is this a simple fix that i can do my self or do i need to send them in for repair...fishbones
Send them to shimano for repair... like $10 or something for tune and repair...

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Ive done that about 10-15 years ago just wasnt sure if they did it still especially cuz there old reels.....thanks.....

vanillagurilla
01-18-2010, 09:31 PM
its $20 each plus shipping. plus parts if they still have them. it might be something simple like it needs grease. pm me if you'd like and i can take a look at them for you.

Rakie
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM

I had a Shimano Cruzar reel stored away at my parents, it needed repair that was beyond my humble ability ~ One day my dad asked me about it, I said "yeah, it's broken". Little did I know, to him that meant "it's trash", he tossed it in the garbage. It looked brand new, not a great reel by any means but, definitely worth fixing for a few bucks.

Ricky-Ray
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Send it to Shimano. The Corsair 300 they would not fix they would simply replace it with a Corvalus 300. The Curado they would most likely repair.

I took my Corasair 400 down to Shimano in Irvine and the guy at the counter said they don't fix them anymore, they simply replace them with Corsair's. Walked out of there 10 mins later with a brand new reel in the box.

GeordyBass
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Send it to Shimano. The Corsair 300 they would not fix they would simply replace it with a Corvalus 300. The Curado they would most likely repair.

I took my Corasair 400 down to Shimano in Irvine and the guy at the counter said they don't fix them anymore, they simply replace them with Corsair's. Walked out of there 10 mins later with a brand new reel in the box.
Sick! lmao.... I am gonna have to look for beat up corsairs!:Secret:

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Sweet! The Corsair doesnt even have that many hours on it either. When it went bad i had so many other reels to fish with i just left it in the reel drawer.
Ive also have a triton speedmaster W/star drag and a Bantom magnunlite Graphite Titanium Components PLUS that i would like to restore if possible what do you think...?..Thanks for the info...fishbones

GeordyBass
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Sweet! The Corsair doesnt even have that many hours on it either. When it went bad i had so many other reels to fish with i just left it in the reel drawer.
Ive also have a triton speedmaster W/star drag and a Bantom magnunlite Graphite Titanium Components PLUS that i would like to restore if possible what do you think...?..Thanks for the info...fishbones
i think you should mess up a bearing or something so you'll be sure to get a replacement:Envious:

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
JUST FOUND THIS:Crying::Crying::Crying::Crying::Crying::Cryin g:
Corsair Replacement
Shimano will no longer provide replacement of Corsair reels as of January 1, 2010.

Corsair reels will now be eligible for repair, but must be in repairable condition. Excessively corroded or abused reels are not eligible for repair and will be sent back to the customer.

Repair cost is $35 plus shipping.

If you reel qualifies, please fill out the "repair request form" located at the top of this page and sent to:

Shimano American
Attn: Reel Repair
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Questions? Please contact Shimano American Customer Service at 1-877-577-0600

owell back to the drawimg board.........fishbones

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 10:14 PM
and this from shimano..............

Reels we cannot repair:
Conventional: MCR1000GT, MCR100GT, MCR2000GT, MCR200GT, P-1500MAG, P-1501MAG, TSMII, TSMIII

Low Baitcasting: BTX100A, BTX101A, Bx-10, BX-15, BX-25, CH100, CH200, CI100, CI100A, CI200, CI200A, CO100, CO100A, C0200, CO200A, CR100, CR101, CU100, CU100A, CU200, CU200A, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III

dang...what the heck.......fishbones

That Dang Guy
01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Open it up and try to repair it yourself. Does it physically go in and out of gear? It's probably the clutch plate and clutch cam that are the source of your problems. Tighten the screws on them up and you should be good to go.

Fishbones
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Open it up and try to repair it yourself. Does it physically go in and out of gear? It's probably the clutch plate and clutch cam that are the source of your problems. Tighten the screws on them up and you should be good to go.

Will do that for sure...the corsair & curado have to be banged with your fist to engage.....not sure if that helps..

Ricky-Ray
01-18-2010, 10:59 PM
If you really want them repaired, the only other person that I would trust with reel repair is Alan Tani. check out his website and see if he's got tutorial's on those reels if not you could post up questions or even send it to him for repair.

I send all my reels to Alan and he does one heck of a job on them.

http://alantani.com

Nessie Hunter
01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Will do that for sure...the corsair & curado have to be banged with your fist to engage.....not sure if that helps..

The Curado & Corsair both have a retractor spring on the Clutch slide.
If it "pops" back when you bang it I would venture a 'guess' that they are just in need of cleaning and some grease...

If they just sort of wonder back into gear, the spring may have come out of place or??...
They have one Z shaped end and one end is just bent up at 90*, that fit into a small holes... Dog leg spring.....

Alan Tani does have a Curado Tutorial..

Easy to follow his directions and do it yourself...

Fire Ball
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
JUST FOUND THIS:Crying::Crying::Crying::Crying::Crying::Cryin g:
Corsair Replacement
Shimano will no longer provide replacement of Corsair reels as of January 1, 2010.

Corsair reels will now be eligible for repair, but must be in repairable condition. Excessively corroded or abused reels are not eligible for repair and will be sent back to the customer.

Repair cost is $35 plus shipping.

If you reel qualifies, please fill out the "repair request form" located at the top of this page and sent to:

Shimano American
Attn: Reel Repair
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Questions? Please contact Shimano American Customer Service at 1-877-577-0600

owell back to the drawimg board.........fishbones

I actually emailed Shimano about my Corsair a while back and they said that I could get a replacement following January 1, but it was like $10 more I think. You should email them. When I get home I can post the reply that I got from them last month.

vanillagurilla
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
hey fishbones i service reels for all my friends and myself. ive been doing it since i was a kid because i never had the money nor did i know i could have them serviced, i thought it was up to me. i also only use shimano reels anymore so i know them inside and out. i can service them for you for realy cheap and if i cant fix the problem i wont charge you a dime. by the sound of the problem im 99% sure you dont need any parts or anything. if your interested PM me.

That Dang Guy
01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Should be a cheap fix. It doesn't sound like anything is broken. If hitting the reel reengages the reel, the spring should still be in place and preloading the clutch pawl. Probably something as simple as an obstruction or alignment issue.

With Alantani's guides, it's simple! Dig in, you'll find it very rewarding.