PDA

View Full Version : The BAKO boyz/the DUCT/stripers/lmb,,1/18/09

trail blazer
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Me and my brother up with C,Bait and his son,s out at the duct this afternoon for a cpl hrs to try the day bite.

I Stay,d in the striper area while c,bait took his sons down a cpl hunderd yds to the LMB spot,,,,,,,,,,, Success all around:Big Grin:

C,bait succeded in getting his sons on the lmb.
and i succeded in getting my brother on the stripers.

All the lmb was abought 13 to 15 inches and released
the stripers all went between 4 and 5 lbs.

Was raining like crasy when we got there ,but after 30 min or so the rain stoped and the sun poked out for a little while.

No pics of the lmb cause we both decided not to take our cameras cause of the rain.

took this pic of the 2 stripers my brother kept when we got home

1 was 4lb 7oz,
1 was 4lb 5 oz
both were MEGA yoked up and full of eggs.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/carlysimps/100_3078.jpg

nothing in there stomachs

lmb were caught on d,s rigs wacky style
stripers were caught on my SUPER DUPER /TOP SECRET,day time setup:LOL:.

Thanks
TRAIL BLAZER

WOOPS LOL I ment 1/18/10 sorry

cutbait
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the invite pard..

Felt good to get the boys out and fish. Was awesome watching them drive the steel!

Going to dedicate this year to getting them hooked for the rest of their lives.

Those fish are yoked out and cannot believe those bellys were empty?

Cutbait and Trailblazer go fishing at the duct and get skunked.. your brother, and my boys put the smackdown on us today... LOL

trail blazer
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the invite pard..

Felt good to get the boys out and fish. Was awesome watching them drive the steel!

Going to dedicate this year to getting them hooked for the rest of their lives.

Those fish are yoked out and cannot believe those bellys were empty?

Cutbait and Trailblazer go fishing at the duct and get skunked.. your brother, and my boys put the smackdown on us today... LOL

thats alright bro,we spent more time guiding then fishing and it paid off for our familys:Big Grin:

yolo
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey it's 2010 not 09 unless what they say about Bako being behind the times is actually true? :LOL:

Nice stripers! Looking meaty like all the duct stripers this time of year.

Bassnman Mike
01-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Great job guys!

Mike, I thought you said the bite would suck, HA Actually, while I was in Bake it was pouring! Stockdale Hiway was Stockdale River!

I'll be back out on Feb 1, maybe we can hookup for some afternoon Duct fishing? Let me know.

M@M
01-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like you guys had a good time! Thanks for the report. Fish Tacos today?

TroutOnly
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
GOOD JOB T/B-CUTBAIT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHERES GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
nice job Buddy....sweet action and cool about getting youyr bro on da feesh....sweet !

Congrats ona job well done guys..
Gary

trail blazer
01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
GOOD JOB T/B-CUTBAIT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHERES GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

LOL!!!He was at home LICKING HIS WOUNDS from the trip out the day before:ROFL::ROFL:

Lipripper93561
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Nice slay for a rainy day. Does anyone have an idea of the stripers can pull off a successful spawn in the duct, or possibly the mouth of Qual lake.

Spawning Habits

Striped bass spawn in water of 61 to 69 degrees from April through mid-June preferably in flowing water. The female brodcast eggs into the water column where they are fertilized by the male without affording any protection or parental care.
During spawning, seven or eight smaller males surround a single, large, female and bump her to swifter currents at the water surface. Ripe eggs are discharged and scattered in the water as males release sperm. This period can last several days.
Female striped bass may spawn as early as age 4, but a year class may not reach complete sexual maturity until age 8 or older. By contrast, most male stripers reach sexual maturity at age 2 or 3.
Incubation, Hatching and Larval Stages

Striped bass eggs hatch 29 to 80 hours after fertilization, depending on the water temperature. Larvae at this point have an average size of 3.1 mm.
The mouth forms in two to four days, and the eyes are unpigmented.
The larvae are nourished by a large yolk mass. Eggs produced by female stripers weighing 10 pounds or more contain greater amounts of yolk and oil reserve and have a greater probability of hatching.
The larvae's survival depends primarily upon events during the first three weeks of life.
Typically striped bass larvae begin feeding about five days after hatching, depending on water temperature.
Eggs and newly hatched larvae require sufficient turbulence to remain suspended in the water column; otherwise, they will settle to the bottom and be smothered.
As the larvae grow, they can be found at progressively deeper levels of the water column.
Habitat
Striped Bass do not successfully spawn in fresh water reservoirs but will make spawning runs.
Natural reproduction will occur in Rivers such as the Arkansas River.
Mature stripers in Fresh water Reservoirs use river and creek channels as migrations routes moving out to flats and points to feed.
Food
Striped bass larvae feed primarily on copepods (crustaceans) in both larval and mature stages, and cladocerans (water fleas).
Juvenile stripers eat insect larvae, larval fish, mysids (shrimplike crustaceans) and amphipods (tiny scavenging crustaceans that lack a carapace and have laterally flattened bodies).
Adult Stripers are piscivorous, or fish-eaters. In summer and fall, stripers diet consist of Shad and other soft scale fish of the herring family as well as crawfish.
Growth

The age of striped bass can be calculated on the scales by a series of growth marks. The winter is a period of slow growth, during which a series of closely spaced rings form around the edge of each scale. The age of an individual Striped Bass can be determined by examining a scale under a microscope and counting the number of such closely spaced bands of rings, called annuli.

On average, Striped Bass are four to five inches long at the end of the first year,
11 inches at the end of the second, 16 inches at the end of the third, and 20 inches at the end of the fourth year.

A striped bass that is 36 inches long normally is about 12 years old. A bass 48 inches long, and weighing over 50 pounds, is probably over 20 years old.

It looks like it takes about 48 hours for the eggs to hatch and need a free flowing environment, so maybe in specific conditions they can hatch in the duct and possibly survive to maturity?

yolo
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes they do spawn in the duct and also the reservoirs. Some years are of course better than others but they do spawn.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
LOL!!!He was at home LICKING HIS WOUNDS from the trip out the day before:ROFL::ROFL:

TB !!!....ha ha ha ha aha......I don't know about licking no wounds....I went....I concored...

hey Bob, I ain't been pounding it cuz of a vehicle complication, only been out a couple times this year and 1 of them was with you

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
stripers were caught on my SUPER DUPER /TOP SECRET,day time setup:LOL:.

Stitched powerbait ?

[QUOTE=Lipripper93561;424897]Nice slay for a rainy day. Does anyone have an idea of the stripers can pull off a successful spawn in the duct, or possibly the mouth of Qual lake.

Spawning Habits

Striped bass spawn in water of 61 to 69 degrees from April through mid-June preferably in flowing water. The female brodcast eggs into the water column where they are fertilized by

(condensed for easier reading)

QUOTE]
Note that these stats above are all not necessarily true to all bodies of water in the exact content provided, clearly there are many variables, many many....they do spawn (spawning machines)and their growth patterns vastly vary from body of water to body of water, most likely relative to their food sources available to them....strong food chain ='s more rapid growth patterns etc

Look at a Pyramid fish compared to a castaic fish....answer: food chain...

enviroment certainly must play a big part as well. good info above though, one must definately fill in a little of the grey areas to make it apllicable to any specific body of water..

Theres many more items as well that I haven't noted, bottom line is they are thriving and doing their thing regularly and in healthy numbers from the time I personally have experienced stripers...

They are an awesome breed....killa's....sharks of the lake or duct (or even an ocean in many cases for that matter) (their original origin)

Nice : )
Gary

cutbait
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I personally saw them spawning in the duct for two consecutive days in the exact same location last year. Chased em for close to a mile. Schooled up and rubbing bellies.. April I do believe. Was able to pull 6 out the first day of the group and 4 the second.

I will add that because of the "delta smelt" issue and the drastically reduced flows in the duct that the spawn is minimal compared to the hay days of the 80's and 90's.

I think that the size of the average fish also indicates that

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Chased em for close to a mile. Schooled up and rubbing bellies.. April I do believe. Was able to pull 6 out the first day of the group and 4 the second.

Aww man…your leaving it way too easy….

So….you chased ‘em down huh ?

So as you approached the rapidly moving, mating schooling feesh..

I’m sure you said:
“I’m almost there !.... I’m almost there !” ….I’m almost there !”

And as the rapidly movin,g mating stripers got they’re groove on, they said:
“I’m almost there !.... I’m almost there !” ….I’m almost there !”

Then you pulled out...I mean you pulled 1 out !

Ha ha ha ha….I can go elsware with that but I’ll leave the rest to your imagination !

Ha ha ha ha