PDA

View Full Version : Vote-Sierra Slam Qualifications

Hunt4Fish
01-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Guys and Gals:

My vote is that a Sierra Slam is 4 spieces of trout in one day even though I saw posted that someone thought it was 5 spieces sooooooo...........

1) Does the "SLAM" have to be caught on the same day or does a "day" mean a 24 hour period ? (this is very important for my son :))

2) Is it 4 spieces or 5 in one day?

Also we earned a shirt from Saddlebag tackle store and on the shirt it said :

"High Sierra Grand Slam" and has a nice stringer of trout printed on it with four different spieces of trout.

3) So what is the official slogan for 4 spieces of trout in "one day"

I know this might fall under "who cares its awesome no matter what you call it" but what the hell, what do you think ?

I will compile a vote total in about a month if there are enough votes to get a FNN consenses.

I will be posting a report from that weekend soon, I have been waiting for a rainy day in the off season to write it because I didn't get the pics from my son that month but have them now...... and its raining :Big Grin:

The polls are now open, lol

H4F

Sierra_Smitty
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't really think this is a debatable subject....any t-shirt, calendar, book, hat etc. etc. will display the grand slam as a Brook, Rainbow, Brown and Golden.....you have to catch them all in 1 days fishing. That is the catch the term was coined for.

There is no official governing body over the slam, its just a fun fishing accomplishment, so if you want to get ticky tack with 24 hours vs an actual fishing day, whatever...I would personally discount that because it means the person couldn't pull it off between sunrise and sunset....but I don't really matter so it is what it is.

I'm not sure what you'd call it if you caught a cutt too, but it would be pretty dang impressive....super grand slam? perfect slam? king slammy slam? All I know is that there are only a handful of places you could do it....I gotta try for that one of these days.

BishopTrouter
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I've heard that the "sierra slam" is the combination of a bow, brown, brook, & golden and that the "sierra GRAND slam" includes the cutthroat as well... BUT i am not positive on this. Either way i have never accomplished either but have come so close so many times :(

canyonratbill
01-18-2010, 11:04 AM
It can be taken in two ways, Bow,Brown,Brook, and Golden for sure. As said by someone else about a Cutthroat as well can replace one of them to still have a Grand Slam, but the days of Lahontan Cuts bein prevalent is far over with. They were still around before the big flood on the walker river far and few between but there. I have as well caught some very nice intermingled species of trout up there in some of those secret spots we all have. Brown-Brook Hybrids in Green Creek, Cut bows in Tahoe the list goes on and on, But in 1 said day of fishing I would have to say 24 hours is a given period to make it happen. With all the great fishing to be had in the sierras it is not uncommon at all, I have only done it in a whole trip not 1 day of fishing it can be had but I have yet to have it. Not only that but there is one strream high up that has char in it too, I miss workin at the pack station now lol But know that you will see me up there with a tight line and a big smile tryin my best to beat up on the fish!!!!!!! Good luck to the hunters of Salma Truuta and their finicky ways!!!!

Sierra_Smitty
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I've heard that the "sierra slam" is the combination of a bow, brown, brook, & golden and that the "sierra GRAND slam" includes the cutthroat as well... BUT i am not positive on this. Either way i have never accomplished either but have come so close so many times :(

I've heard some people say that also.....but not anyone credible.

flytyingreloader
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Smitty--

Fishermen.......CREDIBLE? Tall order, that!

LOTS of 2-species days, only a couple with 3 though. I am WAY too indolent at my age to think I could do a Slam, let alone a Grand Slam.

Now, one "Slam" I did pull off would be brown, rainbow, panfish, and largemouth from the Owens River in one day, and recently (2008). None were great-big, but I did it. THAT we could call "Hitting For The Cycle". :)

Sierra_Smitty
01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Smitty--

Fishermen.......CREDIBLE? Tall order, that!

Ha! Good point....very very good point! lol!!!

Now, one "Slam" I did pull off would be brown, rainbow, panfish, and largemouth from the Owens River in one day, and recently (2008). None were great-big, but I did it. THAT we could call "Hitting For The Cycle". :)

That's pretty awesome....can't say I've done that so you've definitely got one up on me. I think the Owens Valley "Hitting for the Cycle" is pretty impressive....if you hit a Smallie and a catfish on top of that list you'd be a legend. :)

flytyingreloader
01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I think the smallmouth would equate to the triple in baseball--the hardest hit to get to complete the cycle. I do enjoy the Owens and its backwaters and sloughs.

AngryAgent
01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Think of it like this...

When a baseball player hits a grand slam 4 runs are scored.

4 species of trout make a grand slam..

Doesn't matter what species just as long as it's 4 different species period.

SierraSmitty was right in that it all needs to be caught from sun-up to sun-down..

Here is my slam from the closer...:Envious:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=40744

flytyingreloader
01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
GREAT DAY, Agent! DA-YUM!

AngryAgent
01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
GREAT DAY, Agent! DA-YUM!

Gracias amigo!:Envious:

fishincrave
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I have come close for a slam. rainbow , brown, and a brook ohh and alpers does that count lol.

Sean

rotto84
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I agree with Sierra Smitty. This topic has been around for a while, and there are no set rules.

Generally, I understand the "Sierra Slam" to be catching the four trout species, rainbow, brook, brown & golden in one day, sunrise to sunset.

There are t-shirts, posters, etc. that present the slam, and most have these 4 trout species.

It gets more complicated if you include hybrids, and if you want to push the one day rule, by going for 24 hours. But, what does it really matter if you are having fun, and hopefully are catching and RELEASING the four trout?

By the way, if you get Sierra Smitty's book, you have an excellent chance of getting the slam yourself.

jeff4321
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Buy sierra slammer mini jigs to catch all of these species!

Sierra_Smitty
01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Buy sierra slammer mini jigs to catch all of these species!

Totally - where can I buy some?