PDA

View Full Version : PVR Bite

Jimbow
01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Drove up the HWY for some fun fishing at PVR. Over three days of fishing and maybe a total of 6 to 7 hours spent at the lake I was able to catch and release 12 rainbows and 3 browns. Weather was great and the view was spectaular. The mountains had a heavy snow pack. The local Bald Eagles were fishing the lake also. Most of the fish released were between 1 and 4 LBS. I saw several fish caught in the 4 to 7 pound range all with full tails. Most of my fish were caught using gold Kastmasters or floating nightcrawlers. On a side trip away from the lake we saw close to a hundred deer up big pine creek drainage area. I've never seen so many wild deer in one day. They were in herds of 4 to 20 deer. This was a really nice trip and I hope to get up there more often. :Big Grin:

chansen49
01-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Very nice!! Killer buck photo also!

Joshua
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
On a side trip away from the lake we saw close to a hundred deer up big pine creek drainage area. I've never seen so many wild deer in one day. They were in herds of 4 to 20 deer. This was a really nice trip and I hope to get up there more often. :Big Grin:
Are you sure these were all deer and NOT the Tule Elk that hang out in this area. The Tule Elk are a smaller species of Elk. I have seen them several times in the Big Pine aree.
Either way, Still a cool thing to see.
That was one nice looking buck. He better hide come next fall

retired96
01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Are you sure these were all deer and NOT the Tule Elk that hang out in this area. The Tule Elk are a smaller species of Elk. I have seen them several times in the Big Pine aree.
Either way, Still a cool thing to see.
That was one nice looking buck. He better hide come next fall

Those are definitely deer, not the Tule elk that you normally see along 395,

Jimbow
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes I am absolutely positive these were all mule deer I saw on this trip. We did not see any Elk at all. There is actually a distinct difference and they are quite easily distinguished from one another. We actually saw several bucks but most were young bucks. Most of these herds were up in the 5 to 6 thousand foot range I would guess on the ridges above the creek. We also saw alot of black bear sign in the area.

diamondbear
01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
great looking fish and mule deer . The PVR water looks clean , as the deer are migrated down from the higher back country and will be gone from where your seeing them now by april .GOOD REPORT , THANKS .

tpfishnfool
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Damn, That 4 point looks awsome !!
Thanks for reminding me to get up there...

smokinflies
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to drive up there in May.