PDA

View Full Version : Get ready guys, the giant squid are on their way.

ToadsToadsOnly
01-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Squid schools are down to O-Side I think they will be up our way pretty soon Dana Point then Newport. Get your rain coat and squid jigs out they are a blast to catch but unfortunately they rape our local coast and eat eveything. So when they get here bring all your newby friends out on the local charter and Kill....Kill...Kill! I think they will be our way after the storm. What you guys think?

carpanglerdude
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I've seen videos of people fishing for these and it's crazy...gotta get in on it this year

samgann93
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
we should get a fnn trip going. id be down.

Bradakas
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Those would be Awesome Calamari rings

murrieta angler
01-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you kidding!!
Deanhall and I went out on Saturday and that was the last thing we wanted. But, we did run into them and of course they took our fish and then your either fighting them for 10-15 minutes or, like me, you let them come unhooked.
What are you gonna do with 50lbs of squid steaks? That's alot of hammering!
You can get them on the half day boats right now outta S.D.
Robert

victor101
01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo!!!

Agro
01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Great...

Kill'um all :D

samgann93
01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
catch a ton. and once you get to the harbor throw them out.

the bat rays will appreiciate it.

Bradakas
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Throw the 50lbs of squid in the washing machine...old hawaiian secret. Trust me.

Cangler
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Yay ! More ink fights on deck

sansou
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Just my personal observation, but winter squid fishing on a cattleboat is about the most dangerous type of fishing around.

Lots of newbs and wannabees using heavy tuna jigs cause they are too cheap (or don't know) to buy a squid jig etc... You also ruin your raingear/clothes.

Besides, what are you gonna do with 50lbs of squid? Eat it? Those particular squid don't taste right... They don't even make all that good of bait.

Fertilizer?

victor101
01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Besides, what are you gonna do with 50lbs of squid?

you can carve jerkshads out of them and catch turd rollers.

samgann93
01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
who cares what your gonna do with the squid... kill em.

use them for batray bait. eat em. or my personal favorite leave the whole squid on someones front porch you dont like, then ring the doorbell.

Rakie
01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Humboldt squid are pretty vicious predators, no idea what kind of damage they're doing but they multiply like crazy and grow fast as hell.

Diablo Rojo.

Tight lines
~Rakie

Howling Mad Murdock
01-20-2010, 12:54 AM
catch a ton. and once you get to the harbor throw them out.

the bat rays will appreiciate it.

Or catch a ton of them and bring it down to the local homeless shelter or church to feed the needy.

Murdock

ddoskocil
01-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Does it have to be a twilight or night trip, or can a personal boat get them before sunset? How do you find them?

sansou
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Does it have to be a twilight or night trip, or can a personal boat get them before sunset? How do you find them?

Exit PL, go SW to the "9". Drop 500-700 ft down with a squid jig and chem light.

DockRat
01-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Besides, what are you gonna do with 50lbs of squid? Eat it? Those particular squid don't taste right... They don't even make all that good of bait.

Fertilizer?

A guy told me that he uses a meat grinder and grinds them up. By grinding them they are pre chewed and less like eating Trucker Mud Flaps.

This guy named 'Cowboy' at the Marina got a couple from a fisherman and cut them in 1' strips then dried them out und uses them for Dog Chews.
His Lab Connie and Red loves them.

Grind them up and dry them out and mix them in your dog or cat food :ROFL:
On LTHU they said use tenacle pieces for bait.

Squid Burgers, How do they taste ?

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/angrymann/gifs/barf_641.gifDR

murrieta angler
01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
A guy told me that he uses a meat grinder and grinds them up. By grinding them they are pre chewed and less like eating Trucker Mud Flaps.

This guy named 'Cowboy' at the Marina got a couple from a fisherman and cut them in 1' strips then dried them out und uses them for Dog Chews.
His Lab Connie and Red loves them.

Grind them up and dry them out and mix them in your dog or cat food :ROFL:
On LTHU they said use tenacle pieces for bait.

Squid Burgers, How do they taste ?

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/angrymann/gifs/barf_641.gifDR

Looks like that girl had a rough night with about 7 dudes....:Shocked:

Odium
01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Squid steaks are pretty good if they are prepared correctly. If your squid turns out to be too chewy, you overcooked it.

When in doubt, prepare the squid like you would prepare abalone.

hbomb
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Looks like that girl had a rough night with about 7 dudes....:Shocked:

7 dudes mixed in with 8-9ft swells... :ROFL:

Odium
01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh additional FYI, if you're not quite a fan of the ammonia taste that humboldts may have.

Quick way to dilute that taste is to soak in buttermilk for a day or so. Milk will also work, but i hear that buttermilk works the best.

Otherwise, you can go about the slow process that some Japanese use: salting the squid for 3 days at ice temperature; followed by 8 hours under running water; followed be 16 hours soaking in still water.

Rakie
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I've heard these squid taste nasty ~ I gotta think, if they were delicious they would be heavily fished, as they seem to be plentiful.

sansou
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Oh additional FYI, if you're not quite a fan of the ammonia taste that humboldts may have.

Quick way to dilute that taste is to soak in buttermilk for a day or so. Milk will also work, but i hear that buttermilk works the best.

Otherwise, you can go about the slow process that some Japanese use: salting the squid for 3 days at ice temperature; followed by 8 hours under running water; followed be 16 hours soaking in still water.

I tried the soak in milk thing (I'll try buttermilk next time), and even tried the brine in salt w/ice cubes thing. I even peeled away at all the layers of membranes. This last one I caught while WSB fishing in October, I tried breading thin filets and lightly frying the stuff....I just can't get it to work. Funky smell and taste to it. I must be doing something wrong cause there are people (koreans) who swear it's great. I bet they lather it up generously with "ko-chu-jang" before eating it!

On the boat I chopped some of the tips of the tentacles and put it on a jig and dropped it down for a couple assorted junkfish (sand bass / calicos), and it somewhat worked, but I wouldn't say the fish were eating the paint off the jig to get at it. Two years ago I gave a bunch to one of the Irvine Lake regulars to use as catfish bait...not much success.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/San%20Quintin%20July%202009/IMG_3044.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/San%20Quintin%20July%202009/IMG_3045.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/San%20Quintin%20July%202009/IMG_3046.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/San%20Quintin%20July%202009/IMG_3048.jpg

Odium
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm going to say Sansou is just a picky eater. hahahaha JK JK.

I've had a few humboldt steaks and medallions before. The ones I've had were great. The steaks tastes like a firmer slightly lemony lobster. And the medallions tasted like wide cut scallops.

I'm not Korean, but maybe I should try it korean style one day. . .

fishinone
01-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I went out and got some. They are a blast to catch. The Captain stopped on a spot, leaned out the window and said they are at 75 fathoms. I figured it was everything but the backing in the current and dropped a big squid jig down. I got hit on the second pull and had to real that thing up from 500 ft. The others tore it to pieces on the way up. It was like reeling up an old boot except that it was being attacked by other old boots. The whole boat went off when I got it to color. It seems that most guys had sense enough not to drop down 500 ft.

I brought 2 home, it seemed like one tasted OK and the other tasted like ammonia. I wound up using all that was left for bait or chum. Works good for bait and for chum.

I'm not going to try eating any more, unless food is really hard to get.

I'd rather have Lima beans.:ROFL:

Dried might be worth a try. Ammonia does evaporate doesn't it.:Shocked:

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
01-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Once in a while when albacore fishing early in the season out of SD I've run into some of these squid. If there's a decent cook aboard he'll cut strips and lightly sautee them in butter and a little salt, then serve it with hot sauce. VERY GOOD. It goes well with saltine crackers. That's the only way I'd eat giant squid.
TTFM

Rakie
01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Haha, I gotta say, you few guys that responded are the only people I've ever heard say humboldts tasted good!

I'm not the pickiest guy, I'd try it for sure, love calamari but I just get the feeling these things taste like old boots.

But, with a good chef and cooking it up RIGHT on the spot, It's probably good. Nothing that fresh can really taste THAT bad.

Howling Mad Murdock
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
I am somewhat sure that once the squid start to smell and taste like ammonia, it has already started to decompose. You generally dont want to eat any proteins when they start in the decomposition phase, it's like eating carrion.

Murdock

Ricky-Ray
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I did quite a few twilight trips for the humboldts when they were here a few years ago. I tried making calamari out of them a couple of times and they all had this ammonia taste to it. At first maybe I thought I was cooking it wrong or maybe it was the squid. Tried it from different catches from different trips, tried buttermilk, pound the fillet's till they were thin, quick fry in oil and all the time it tasted like ammonia.

HOWEVER

I gave a bunch of them away to co-workers and every single one of them was ranting and raving about how good it was and wanted to know if I had more. It was getting to the point where people were paying for my boat ticket and everything so I would go out there and catch more for them. When I asked them how they cooked it they were pretty much cooking it the same way I was doing it so I don't know either I'm doing something wrong or they can't taste the ammonia. Go figure.

lingcod sierra
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
best way to eat them is ceviche:Secret: