PDA

View Full Version : 1-16-2010 3/4 day trip aboard Native Sun Long beach Sportfishing

J12
01-17-2010, 04:04 PM
First arrived at LBS at 6:15am. The office was already packed with anglers and everyone was ready to go out and catch some fish today. We first stopped for few good scoops of live squid and some bait fish. 20 minutes or so after the bait stop we began fishing. Only a few sand bass were landed on the first few stops. They were good size like at least 1.5-3 lbers. Overall the boat wasn't doing that hot. Until around 10am-12 we hit 1 spot where everyone on the boat (well almost everyone) were landing at least a few sandbass here and there. All of a sudden my girlfriend, screams for my help. Her rod was fully bent and she couldn't reel the crank even though the drag was on medium high setting. So i ran over and she told me to take over. I thought it was a snag so I decided to let some line out. Turns out to be one of the worst ideas ever and my reel got a nasty birdnest now. So then as i was trying to fix the nest, the line was pulling down. I was like gawd dang it it was a fish after all ( a big one too). So I either let the fish run or figure something to bring it up. I decided to reel in and see if i can fight the fish even with the nest. Fortunately I did manage to reel in the line despite of the giant line orgy and we landed a 22' + sand bass. about half an hour later same thing happens this time I knew better than to let the line out and I just took the rod from her cuz she was afraid to lose the fish. I landed a 23' sand bass. I realized that my gf and I make a pretty darn good fishing team and we would've won the jackpot easily if we only bought in. But we are extremely satisfied with what we caught than we could have won. Honestly I don't think we would ever catch any fish like this if we were in the jackpot. Whenever I play jackpot, i don't catch anything =). Anyway here are some pics. I caught 1 two pound sand bass and she caught 1 two lb and 2 giant beast (so proud of her being able to set the hook so tight on both fish) ( with my help of course =) ).

lngbchfnhnter
01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice going! You guys sound like a good team! :Thumbs Up:

murrieta angler
01-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Nice job getting those sandies. They look like monsters next to the other 2 fish in the ice chest.

JapanRon
01-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi J12,

Sounds like a great fish trip. Contrats ...... maybe gf will be hooked ... so to speak.

Don't mean to rain on your parade ... I know, I know ... it's raining like cats and dogs ...... BUT ........ all boats I know would DQ both fish ... To qualify as a JP contender .... normally .... same person who put in the ante must hook, fight, and bring to gaff or net ... the said fish. There is some leeway when it comes to the deckhand 'helping' in a number of instances of course.

For anglers unfamiliar with the JP system on 1/2 and 3/4-day open-party boats ..... unless trolling is part of the fishing available to ALL ..... AND .... part of the boat's system/ program that's a DQ. Again, unless the target species is Sharks, Sharks are also DQed. Sharing a sack with another angler can also be a cause for a DQ. If one does not show up in a timely way to the weigh-in ... and last, last-call .... that's a DQ.

Some boats don't acknowledge fish caught outside the 'normal' time EVERYBODY fishes ... example: Bait Receiver, at the Slip/Dock ......

Couldn't resist throwing that in !!

JapanRon

victor101
01-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Dam Those are some NICE Sandbass....Congrats!

marc626
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah good boat. Capt. Kevin always finds the Toad Patch. Just a quick question. Did you have Fin Bait: Sardines or Anchovies mixed w/ the squid?

hbomb
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Nice going on the bass, Native Sun is a great boat. :Cool:

Fire Ball
01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I remember doing the same thing as you before. I hooked a shark one time and I thought I was snagged and then let it free spool to try and get it unsnagged and then ZING! Tons of line start coming off and I ended up with a big birdsnest, but the shark took some more line after I reengaged it and cleared its own backlash, lol.

Nice sandies!

Bradakas
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
nice. local structure fishing

J12
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi J12,

Sounds like a great fish trip. Contrats ...... maybe gf will be hooked ... so to speak.

Don't mean to rain on your parade ... I know, I know ... it's raining like cats and dogs ...... BUT ........ all boats I know would DQ both fish ... To qualify as a JP contender .... normally .... same person who put in the ante must hook, fight, and bring to gaff or net ... the said fish. There is some leeway when it comes to the deckhand 'helping' in a number of instances of course.

For anglers unfamiliar with the JP system on 1/2 and 3/4-day open-party boats ..... unless trolling is part of the fishing available to ALL ..... AND .... part of the boat's system/ program that's a DQ. Again, unless the target species is Sharks, Sharks are also DQed. Sharing a sack with another angler can also be a cause for a DQ. If one does not show up in a timely way to the weigh-in ... and last, last-call .... that's a DQ.

Some boats don't acknowledge fish caught outside the 'normal' time EVERYBODY fishes ... example: Bait Receiver, at the Slip/Dock ......

Couldn't resist throwing that in !!

JapanRon

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of anything like that and I appreciate your info greatly. Actually i was speaking with my gf afterwards and I encourage her to reel in all her fish next time. The first hookup i thought she was snagged so i tried helping her free the line but turned out to be a fish and she didn't want to reel it in when i gave it to her. Even on the second fish I tried giving it back to her but before the fish got hooked one of her friend was fighting a monster and broke his rod so she was afraid the same thing would happen so she gave the rod to me, fearing that she might break my rod. To avoid having me assist her next time, I decided to get her a spinning set up. Easier for beginners to get used to fishing instead of having to tweak bunch of stuff on conventional.
(anyone have good suggestion for spinning set up under $150 that would be suitable for yellowtail, yellowfin tuna trips)?? It's okay if its used.

To answer those who were curious about the bait, I believe we had live chovies mixed with live squid and also fresh frozen squid. My gf told me that everytime i put a bait on for her she at least gets bite and when she puts on a bait she doesn't get any. Reason being is that I take a lot of time choosing bait. I don't choose bait that are easily caught. So i guess fresh bait does have its advantage.

I can't wait to go back out there, hopefully i'll get some time to go out after the rain is gone. Hope you all enjoy the report so far =)