PDA

View Full Version : I want to catch a yellowtail..

howardizzle
01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I want to catch a yellowtail.. thats me and my girlfriend's dream, haha. I searched online and it seems the only way is to go on 2 day trips on a charter boat? and it costs over $1000...i don't have THAT much money, im willing to spend 100s but not 1000s...is there any way??? can you catch yellowtail on open party boats? Do we have to get a full on career going before we can actually go out and catch a yellowtail?

Liteliner
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
If you leave the girl at home than it would be in the hundreds and you could go. :LOL:

But if you must take her than this just might be the right year to try to catch a yellow. Theres a predicted el nino for this year so if it does occur than yellowtail will hopefully be wfo. Overnight boats wont cost you more than 400 bucks for the both of you. Early spring yellowtail at clemente is a good bet and they are bruisers.

Ricky-Ray
01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Catching yellowtail on a 2 day trip is not the only option however it does increase your odds. Like Liteliner said, early spring yellowtail can be had at Clemente or even Cat. There's the possibility of bruiser yellowtail's down at Colonett right now. Summer however is your best chance at either the islands or if you go out of San Diego looking for kelp paddy yellowtail.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars. You could if you want to. 2 people on a 2 day trip you would be looking at roughly 300-400 per person for the ticket, add in food, fish cleaning, crew tip, mexican permits (if needed) could put you a little over or under a thousand.

There are some budget/economical trips out there, you just have to find them.

victor101
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Just keep your eye on the fish counts...It is very possible to catch one on a 3/4-overnight trip if you go at the right time. Another option would be to make a run south of the border and get on a panga. You can charter a panga for two for under $300...

bassjedi
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Drive to San Quintin Mexico. It's about 4 hours from the border. You can charter your own boat relatively cheap and you can catch yellows all year. Best in summer/fall but there are always some around. Much better than trying to elbow your way through 50 other people on a party boat when they show up for the 3/4 day boats.

Rakie
01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
This guy has it figured out ~

Drive to San Quintin Mexico. It's about 4 hours from the border. You can charter your own boat relatively cheap and you can catch yellows all year. Best in summer/fall but there are always some around. Much better than trying to elbow your way through 50 other people on a party boat when they show up for the 3/4 day boats.

You can even take a little drive into Mexico and get on board with some private boats, they really aren't too expensive.

I hate party boats, really hate 'em.

deanhall32
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Funny thread!

If you want to catch a yellowtail now then you probably won't. If you want to catch a yellowtail in the next month then you might want to get on a day and a half trip to Mexico. If you want to catch a yellowtail in the spring then you might want to watch the counts and get on a party boat then. Good luck.

ToadsToadsOnly
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Or if you want to catch a world class yellowtail or seabass on a kayak you could book Jeff aka DarkHorse he will put you on some monsters off the yak of of La Jolla.

bruce watson
01-17-2010, 09:13 PM
The last big El Nino year, I believe 1997, we caught YT a hundred yards off the wall in front of Seal Beach. Come spring, when the water hits 69 degrees, you'll find yellowtail reports starting in San Diego and working their way north.

victor101
01-17-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=deanhall32;423925]Funny thread!

If you want to catch a yellowtail now then you probably won't.[QUOTE]

What u talking bout Deano?

Have u been looking at the reports from San Quintin? man...I was supposed to be out there this weekend but something came up. Really sucks cuz them yellows are biting in SQ right now. Im gonna try to head out there next weekend. Hopefully this storm doesnt mess it up.....

howardizzle
01-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Im trying to find directions.. but i can't seem to find a specific address on google.. i tried looking it up on satellite, but that didn't work either.. How do you get to San Quintin, Don Eddies' Landing?????

Rakie
01-20-2010, 08:15 AM
There are professional guides that will take you to islands for cheap, like $400 for 2 people and himself. That's not that bad, not to mention some of those guys are REALLY pro guides, they'll get you on the fish, and if it turns out to be a scratch day on YT or WSB or w/e you're targeting, they'll get you on some big calico's for sure.

Either way, there's a lot of options. Start looking for personal guides, not party boats.

AngryAgent
01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Yellowtail is one of the hardest fighting and most sought after fish here in Cali. Your best bet to not spend thousands is to watch the counts at the landings and hit up one of the boats for an overnighter and even a 1.5er. You can get deals if you stay wary and I would check out the Big Game 90 he often offers 2 for 1 deals which would be right up your alley since your looking to take your chick. Mike is also very fishy.

If you really want to catch the hell outta some Yella's...

Hit up the Longfin for a Tony Reyes trip. You get 4.5 days of fishing (6 days on the boat), fish cleaning and vacuum packs, all the beer you can drink, food included as everything else is as well, private stateroom for you and your chick air conditioned and the only thing you pay extra is your tip! Total trip price is $1000.00. Best time to go is around the summer time and I guarantee that you will catch Yella's and plenty of'em, so many in fact that you won't want to catch anymore because your arms will feel like falling off:Envious:

Rakie
01-20-2010, 08:54 AM
If you really want to catch the hell outta some Yella's...

Hit up the Longfin for a Tony Reyes trip. You get 4.5 days of fishing (6 days on the boat), fish cleaning and vacuum packs, all the beer you can drink, food included as everything else is as well, private stateroom for you and your chick air conditioned and the only thing you pay extra is your tip! Total trip price is $1000.00. Best time to go is around the summer time and I guarantee that you will catch Yella's and plenty of'em, so many in fact that you won't want to catch anymore because your arms will feel like falling off:Envious:

Sounds like a nice trip south of the border.

And he's right, I've seen it a lot when people were going for yellow fin tuna, even the little 40-60lbs fish.. 2-3 hookups in they get this great expression that says "wait a minute... this is hard work!" but they can't and don't stop regardless.

I call tuna fishing "resistance training" (as in the weight lifting). Good times.

One of the best times fishing Yellow Tail out of my uncles boat was a few years back, about 06' or so ~ It was total scratch on the YT, I saw lots of boats and didn't hear many "YEEAAAAH" (you know you hear that carry over the water from a LONG distance away). We saw plenty passing by, good size, up to 15-20# at the biggest but they just weren't hitting. So we decide, hey lets try some light trolling.. We always had the lures for it (Rapala CD-14, black and purple / mackerel) but almost never did. Ok, few minutes into trolling I get hit, hard. Ends up being about a 5# Sand bass. Ok, few minutes later ~ Double hook up. Sandie and a Calico, both about 5# or larger. Ok, well the YT bite is mostly scratch so for the hell of it we keep going. We both end up with about 8-10 bass a piece in a little over an hour. We were fishing with heavier gear for 20+ YT, so the bass just got reeled in pretty quick. So when we tire of the bass and lack of YT we move inshore and end up finding sand dabs.. Every cast would end up with a sand dab on our hooks (fishing 5" Mojo's with a 1/2oz head..) so we switch it up to small hooks and land a bunch of little dabs.

I've been YT fishing a lot.. Everytime I happen to go it's during a great week and the bite just shuts off, bad timing I guess. My first YT trip I caught about a 6# on some light line, I was probably 13 or 14, 10# test, had the drag dialed in almost as tight as my $30 shimano POS reel could go and it made 3 full runs. Completely exhilarating at that age !

Tight lines
~Rakie

sansou
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=deanhall32;423925]Funny thread!

If you want to catch a yellowtail now then you probably won't.[QUOTE]

What u talking bout Deano?

Have u been looking at the reports from San Quintin? man...I was supposed to be out there this weekend but something came up. Really sucks cuz them yellows are biting in SQ right now. Im gonna try to head out there next weekend. Hopefully this storm doesnt mess it up.....

Looks like we'll see you there....

victor101
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Looks like we'll see you there....

When are u going? Ill be down there the 28th-31st

hbomb
01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Just dont forget your passport or you'll be hitching a ride with the coyote, :ROFL:

jsl
01-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Im trying to find directions.. but i can't seem to find a specific address on google.. i tried looking it up on satellite, but that didn't work either.. How do you get to San Quintin, Don Eddies' Landing?????

Dude, if you wanna catch a yt than SQ is the best option right now because they r killing the yt down there. I go there 10-15 times a year and I go for a good reason...the fishery down there is hands down the best we have on the west coast i.m.o!!
Call up these two guys and they'll put you on yt. Captn Kelly of KnM 949-370-6532 or Cptn Juan Cook 0115216161096877. I have fished with these two guys and highly recommend them. They both charge 300 bucks and worth every single penny!! You could stay at Donn Eddie's, the Old Mill, or Jardines. All three places are good and about 35-45 bucks a night.
SQ is 2 and1/2 hours south of Ensenada. U take Hwy 1 all the way down and hang a right onto a dirt road which leads you to the bay and hotels, that's where everything is.

Scott

sansou
01-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Dude, if you wanna catch a yt than SQ is the best option right now because they r killing the yt down there. I go there 10-15 times a year and I go for a good reason...the fishery down there is hands down the best we have on the west coast i.m.o!!
Call up these two guys and they'll put you on yt. Captn Kelly of KnM 949-370-6532 or Cptn Juan Cook 0115216161096877. I have fished with these two guys and highly recommend them. They both charge 300 bucks and worth every single penny!! You could stay at Donn Eddie's, the Old Mill, or Jardines. All three places are good and about 35-45 bucks a night.
SQ is 2 and1/2 hours south of Ensenada. U take Hwy 1 all the way down and hang a right onto a dirt road which leads you to the bay and hotels, that's where everything is.

Scott

Good info.

Juan is $250, Kelly/George/Oscar is about $350, or $300 if you stay just outside the mouth of the bay (ie. el "240"). Pedro's has a lancha for $200, and a couple locals will go as low as $175 for a 22fter.

They're all good in my book....hard to find a really crappy skip. Everyone knows the "spots", hard to miss. You pay a hair more with some if you want to go to the less frequented spots or make long runs.

deanhall32
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Oops. Sorry I didn't read the reports about SQ. Must because I've been too busy fishing!!!!

eddiefishtaco
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Scott

let's go!

I got yellow fever
:LOL:

pm me when you guys wanna make a trip downthere

lngbchfnhnter
01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah! An FNN TEAM 57 yellowtail trip sounds good right about now!
If it happens count me in!:Horns:

murrieta angler
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Just dont forget your passport or you'll be hitching a ride with the coyote, :ROFL:

The coyote, my Tio, passed away a few months back. So no more rides..:Neutral:

DockRat
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Some guy caught one Redondo Pier a few months ago. He was using a sabiki rig and the YT hit the Mackeral he had and ended up getting wrapped up in the sabiki.
Then a seal took a bite right before the sunk a pier gaff in it then came back and took another bite out of it. They landed it with 2 chunks taken out of it. Read it in WON or the Fishwrap paper.
Couldn't find the article but found the below one.

Check this video of Catalina Yellows. Nice Boilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2fWTc6fzU&feature=related

This is a real good YT bite at Catalina. Older guy runs out of gas at 2:00 min into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGpehJ4GPQ

Alternate name below for YT is White Salmon ??? :ROFL:

California Yellowtail

Species
Seriola dorsalis; from the Italian wordseriola (for amberjack) and dorsalis (the long dorsal fin).

Alternate Names
Yellowtail, amberjack, forktail, mossback, and white salmon.

Identification
Typical jack shape with the body olive-brown to brown above with yellow stripes along the side. Fins are yellowish.

Size
To 80 pounds and over 5 feet long. Most caught off piers are fish under 10 pounds in weight.

Range
From Chile to southern Washington; common south of Point Conception.

Habitat
Usually found around offshore islands, rocky reefs or kelp beds.

Piers
Most southern California piers located near reefs or kelp will see a few yellowtail caught during the year. However, they are always a bonus fish and rarely caught in large numbers off of piers. Best bets: Ocean Beach Pier, Oceanside Pier, San Clemente Pier, Redondo Beach Pier, Hermosa Beach Pier and the Goleta Pier.

Bait and Tackle
If an angler wants to try for yellowtail he should have tackle heavy enough to insure a fair chance of landing the fish. Yellowtail like to head for rocks or kelp as soon as they’re hooked so line should test 20-30 pounds, hooks should be small (size 6 or 4) but strong, and the angler must make sure the fish is played out before it nears the pier and the pilings. Although lures work well out on boats, almost all of the pier-caught yellowtail are taken on live bait – especially on small jack mackerel, Pacific mackerel or Pacific sardines.

Food Value
A fairly good tasting fish that is usually broiled or bar-b-qued.

Comments
One of the favorite southern California sport fish but much more common out in deeper water.

DR

jsl
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
let's go!

I got yellow fever

pm me when you guys wanna make a trip downthere

I'm always down there but have never got the chance to meet and fish with some of you guys. I would love to do it soon so a fishingnetworks.net SQ trip sounds like a lot of fun. Who's in? Vic101? Sansou??

sansou
01-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm always down there but have never got the chance to meet and fish with some of you guys. I would love to do it soon so a fishingnetworks.net SQ trip sounds like a lot of fun. Who's in? Vic101? Sansou??

LOL !!

I've been taking FNNers who've never been down to SQ for the past couple years, like Vic 101, Cappo, Osiito, Olfishergal, Ironshrimp, Funjunkie, Captain Boracho, etc...

Not sure though about making it an "open party" kinda deal. I don't care to travel down to Mexico with absolutely random people just for security sake. Been there, done that....and survived.

olfishergal
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL !!

I've been taking FNNers who've never been down to SQ for the past couple years, like Vic 101, Cappo, Osiito, Olfishergal, Ironshrimp, Funjunkie, Captain Boracho, etc...

Not sure though about making it an "open party" kinda deal. I don't care to travel down to Mexico with absolutely random people just for security sake. Been there, done that....and survived.

man would love to get me butt down there again!!! I love fishing Baja and San Q is such an exciting city :ROFL:.......Seriously, really enjoyed myself immensely.......OFG

Fishbones
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
id hit Lo Jolla and fish a big iron off the bottom...there bitting right now...hurry up and get your homeguard......fishbones

jsl
01-20-2010, 11:23 PM
LOL !!

Not sure though about making it an "open party" kinda deal. I don't care to travel down to Mexico with absolutely random people just for security sake. Been there, done that....and

survived.

True. "open party" does sound a little disconcerting once you think about it. Good point.

Fishbones
01-20-2010, 11:24 PM
LOL !!
. Been there, done that....and survived.

go on... id like to hear the story....thread it in general......fishbones

lngbchfnhnter
01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
LOL !!

I hear ya! Don't blame you there...

For my information,hearing scary stuff on the news and on news radio about staying away from Mexico these days. Should that be of concern,even towards the beach direction??

Interesting thread tho, this sounds way more attractive than the overnight trip in san Diego I was considering.

Thanks

hbomb
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
The coyote, my Tio, passed away a few months back. So no more rides..:Neutral:
So does that mean you're taking over the family biz, I have some primos that need to X............. :ROFL:

Rakie
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah my family has had some serious problems in mexico, a couple times my uncle was shaken down by federalies and thrown in jail overnight, he went out there to visit family. My other uncle had his ID confiscated at the border and told it was a fake, and asked to present his green card (he was born and raised in the US... no green card) had all his fishing gear confiscated as well, got some of it back later.

After that, my uncle that fishes wont go near mexico unless it's somewhere far from the border ~ Baja at least. He said he wouldn't go to San Quintine, too dangerous.

He's been screwed over by the law almost every trip unless he hits Baja.

I hear ya! Don't blame you there...

For my information,hearing scary stuff on the news and on news radio about staying away from Mexico these days. Should that be of concern,even towards the beach direction??

Interesting thread tho, this sounds way more attractive than the overnight trip in san Diego I was considering.

Thanks

sansou
01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Baja, or Mexico for that matter, isn't for everyone. Here's my 2 cents on the subject, having driven all over baja and mainland:

If you go down to Mexico enough, eventually, you're bound to have a "Mexico incident" of your own. It's how you deal with it, and how prepared you are that makes the difference.

With that being said, and particularly as far as SQ trips are concerned, it's the first 5 miles from San Ysidro to until you hit the "cuota" that are a butt clencher, and highest likelihood of being ripped off. Been there, done that, and it's not the end of the world.

A close second to that in terms of bad trips, is going to SQ with people that have their head up their butt (ie. random people). By this I mean individuals that live the "gringo" stereotype (obnoxious drunk, drug addict, immature and/or broke as a joke), and/or show up for a road trip with a piece of junk car/truck. Either way, I refuse to be part of it out of safety for my own passengers and my personal peace of mind.

Encounter with the cops on the way to SQ invariably is due to a rookie mistake: speeding and blowing "altos". You would think all the "topes" would give you a clue, but some newbs don't get it until they get pulled over. FYI, it's the "transitos" or "municipios" are the ones that ask for a little extra cash, not the Federales. If a Federale (from baja) is shaking you down....you most likely screwed up big time. If a Fed from mainland is shaking you down....business as usual, time to negotiate.

On the issue of money, its never a good idea to show up to a baja trip with the bare minimum amount of money, or for that matter, be surrounded by people who are broke as a joke. I make it a point to always bring enough cabbage to ensure my passengers, truck and I will get home. Cash = "no problema insurance" in Mexico.

With that being said, I can say that the past couple years taking the occasional FNNers with me, I've had nothing but uneventful & safe trips down there. You just got to pick and choose who you think has the maturity to handle themselves correctly, and will appreciate what you are showing them.

Fishbones
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey Sansou, great information...i was going to start a new thread on preparation, safe and proper behavior needed,along with the do's and dont's to travel to mexico but feel this is your catagory and im sure theres more info you havnt spoken of yet that FNN'ers would need and like to know.........fishbones

deanhall32
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
It is also nice to go with someone like Sansou who speaks the language and is a very safe driver!!

Did anyone mention crossing back over at the Tecate border area as being safer than SY?

eddiefishtaco
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
well whenever you guys wanna go let me know,
and I'll tag along
I'm down to fish Baja California
since yellowtail fishing in the Alta California is all dead
I fish San Carlos Mexico 3 times a year
but that is in the mainland, tru Nogales Arizona down 4 hours

John Harper
01-21-2010, 02:24 PM
If you go to San Quintin, just don't try to salvage artifacts from the derelict boats, right Deanhall32????

John

sansou
01-22-2010, 12:38 AM
If you go to San Quintin, just don't try to salvage artifacts from the derelict boats, right Deanhall32????

John

Hey, didn't I have dinner with you and your GF at Jardines sometime last year? Nancy's got a pic of you and a nice WSB in her office? You flew in...I drove you guys from El Molino's honeymoon suite to dinner, we watched the Chargers lose......again?

John Harper
01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Nope, not me, I just heard the story from deanhall32.

Dean and his buddy had the HONEYMOON suite???

Didn't hear about that!!

John

sansou
01-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry John, I spoke with Dean, he corrected me. I was thinking of "steve" the fearless baja aviator!

Honeymoon suite? Ooops, I broke the rule: "What happens in baja stays in baja!" ha ha!!

lalo56
01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah i used to go alot to baja and got pulled over once. Had to negotiate and payed $20 to let us slide.

J12
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Indian sportfishing (in SD) 2 day trip got some tail action this past weekend. they boated 5 i think and then got varieties of rockfish and such. They have another trip going on 2/05-2/06 (for around $200). Captain is Chris Randall and i heard a lot of good things about him. So if you're really anxious for some action. There is hope.

DockRat
01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
By this I mean individuals that live the "gringo" stereotype (obnoxious drunk, drug addict, immature and/or broke as a joke), and/or show up for a road trip with a piece of junk car/truck.

Sounds like us when we used to go on surf trips in 70's early 80's. All but the 'addict' part. :Beer Toast:
Going to Baja in a VW, No Seat Belts worn, No ABS, No Airbags, No AC, No Credit Cards, No Cell Phones or Pagers
No Problems,
and each guy always had less than $100 bucks.

Had a 1966 VW Westfalia for several years. Always took the dog too.

Man those were some fun times. :Beer Toast:
DR