PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Trout Plants "Revisited"

TheVman
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, there was a thread the other day the got locked regarding the small trout plants that we've been getting at Castaic. I was there at the upper on this last one and it was pretty small. The last thread got kinda heated (thats probalby why it got locked) but I agree with merkopak on his post and I want to know if there is anything we as fisherman can do to get some better plants up here.

Seriously guys merkopak has it right... more trout means better fishing, whether for largies, stripers or trout and if we are not getting our fair share at Castaic I want to know what I (we) can do to change it!!!!! This isn;t about whining or complaining, I mean better fishing is better fishing. No one ever say's I wish my beer wasn't so cold, or I wish my girlfriend wasn't so hot.... It's the same thing here...How can we get some better plants???

Fire Ball
01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
That last thread did get pretty heated. :LOL:
We can call the DFG and complain, call Castaic and complain which they would say call DFG, but then you just call Castaic so much and have other people call, that they get pissed off and and they complain to the DFG. :ROFL:
Or then you could organize a rally or something, but I don't think you could get that many people to go. I guess you could have people sign a petition or something too. No matter what you do, I don't think it will effect what the state will do. They don't care and don't have the money.

smokinflies
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Good luck on your mission.

seal
01-15-2010, 09:09 PM
This was in Jim M's last weeks column. His take on the trout plant issue.

Confusion over whether
DFG trout plants are
increasing or decreasing

By JIM MATTHEWS
Outdoor News Service

Many marina managers and park staff at Southern California’s trout fishing waters will tell you Department of Fish and Game trout plants are well below last year’s levels and a pittance of historic stockings.
The records from the DFG tell a completely different story. The agency says it is stocking more and bigger trout than ever before.
“Somebody is twisting some numbers,” said Adam Casey at Casitas Lake’s marina. “The DFG pulls up and they take out a few net-fulls of trout and drive off. We’ve never seen that until this year. We’d always get 1,000 to 1,500 pounds in the past.”
At Castaic Lake, Jon Salkeld, manager of that lake’s marina, said he “didn’t know if they were stocking the right amount here, but lately all we’ve seen is one small truck, and they’ve been splitting that load between the upper and lower lake. We’re probably getting about 400 pounds of trout every two weeks.”
But Gary Williams, the DFG hatchery supervisor for this region, scratches his head over those claims. He says allotments are up across the board for almost all Southern California waters and the 2010 numbers are also going to continue to be higher.
So what’s going on here?
The problem seems to be one of communication and a relatively recent Department of Fish and Game policy that forbids the release of trout stocking information, other than which waters are scheduled to be planted each week. In the past, the DFG happily published the annual stocking goals for each water stocked, and the DFG staff on the stocking trucks told lake staff and anglers how many pounds of fish were planted each week and their average size.
The state agency is harranged regularly for not publishing the day each week when any given water is planted, but the idea is to keep truck-followers at bay and give the trout a little time to acclimate to their new homes without excessive disturbance. Since most anglers only get to fish on weekends, this policy was accepted by most anglers, assuring that fish hogs wouldn’t clean out the trout before they had a chance to catch a few fish.
But not telling the annual allotments for waters and how much was being stocked each week confused anglers and marina operators. The standard question was logical: What is the DFG hiding? Every one just assumes the news is bad.
For the DFG, it wasn’t about hiding anything. It was about getting called on the carpet when circumstances required that they alter weekly or annual stocking plans. So rather than just emphasize that things could change, they just decided to quit broadcasting the information in advance.
Williams insists that he’s happy to get all the data out there to lake and marina operations, after the fact. Then he can tell them the exact information on total poundage, sizes, and locations of the plants. He explained that the DFG’s planting efforts have actually become pretty sophisticated. The poundage of fish planted can vary based on a variety of factors, with water conditions the most likely reason for stocks below normal or expected levels.
“We’re not going to dump in a whole load if water conditions aren’t right. We might just put in 300 pounds of fish and see how they do,” said Williams. He also said most of the hatcheries have small trucks that might do “swing by” plants that aren’t scheduled to boost fish numbers before holiday weekends or after busy fishing weekends. And these plants don’t show up on the weekly schedule published by the agency.
With computerized records, the agency can make up for light weeks when conditions improve for both the fish and fishing. Williams said that all of Southern California waters were right on their allotments for 2009, after a quick computer check.
Some lake operators believe the DFG is on track with its plants. “Poundage wise, I think we’re getting more fish from the state,” said Juisa Powell at Glen Helen Regional Park. Staff at the Lake Perris marina thought their plants were up, too.
But others aren’t so sure. At Piru Lake, the staff there reported that they were seeing about 1,100 pounds every two weeks, but that they received 3,300 pounds every two weeks last year. One lake employee at another water said she was told by a DFG hatchery truck driver that he wouldn’t be buying a license anymore because the funds were going to places other than hatcheries.
A better effort by the DFG to let lake operators know when and how much is being planted -- even if it’s after the fact -- would go a long way toward stopping the complaints and misinformation. Some of us happen to believe that giving proposed stocking amounts each week would also be a good idea, and the DFG should go back to publishing its target annual goals for each water -- emphasis on “target.” Anglers and lake staff realize that conditions can change.
Two factors have conspired to give Southern California anglers more trout than ever, and the DFG should trumpet the increases in this region. It would make them look like heros for a change instead of being another black eye. AB 7 has mandated that 1/3 of fishing license fees be used on trout programs, and the lawsuit banning the stocking of trout in hundreds of waters throughout the state. Those two things mean that waters in this region are going to get more trout than in a long time.
The DFG could take a bow for that instead of hiding the data and making people think things are continuing to get worse for anglers. No news is not good news in this case.

seal
01-15-2010, 09:10 PM
oops double posted somehow

AngryAgent
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
There is no way that they are stocking the same amount of fish as in years past period. I don't know why they would want to skew the numbers though and make it seem like they are stocking "more and bigger" fish then ever before. We all know that the economy is in shambles and with all the eco-tree hugging MLPA BS going on things are starting to tighten up even more on state and county stockings. I mean there are a lot of fishy things going on since the tree huggers made progress with shutting down some of our prime fishing grounds in the sea, what with possible permits needed to even have a pond in your backyard and for the water to have to be tested annually (I think that is right). The real answer to your question is to become involved as much as possible and show up to support your fellow anglers at these meetings. The more of us that show up and do what you can when you can will help even if it's just one day.

Sorry for the rambling..

TroutOnly
01-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey pal wake up, the plants in the upper are a token to the fisherman,the plnats feed the stripers and bass ,the lagoon is almost the same except the bass dont eat them quite as fast because there numbers are not huge like the stripers, if you want to fish trout go to piru casitas cachuma ,some place with out stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tpfishnfool
01-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey pal wake up, the plants in the upper are a token to the fisherman,the plnats feed the stripers and bass ,the lagoon is almost the same except the bass dont eat them quite as fast because there numbers are not huge like the stripers, if you want to fish trout go to piru casitas cachuma ,some place with out stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

True that.. Plants at Castaic are for kicking the bass bite into gear, thats it..

merkopac
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks Jim Mathews for helping.As for what DFG told you.Im not saying all the lakes in California are having the same problem as Castaic Lake.What I do know is Castaic Lake,Castaic Lagoon and Castitas are not getting the same amont of trout as in years past.In past years and last year DFG would show up to Castaic Lake with at least one full tank approximately 800 lbs and most time two full tanks.This year DFG is showing up with one tank and spliting it between Castaic Lake and Castaic Lagoon.As for people who would say"California is in financial crisis and cant afford to plant the same amount of trout".It seems to me if the hacthery in Fillmore is 30 miles away,its up and running,it has staff,it has trucks then what could be the issue?Gas?Well the truck is already delivering the trout and can put two tanks on one truck.Im pretty sure the pellets they buy in bulk to feed trout isnt breaking the bank.I know fishing liscense sales pay for trout plants and I know Castiac Lake is one of if not the most fished lake in SO.CAL.Maybe enough people will come to together and get results.

tpfishnfool
01-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Or maybe not.. Welcome to 2010. CUT,CUT,CUT.. Get over it and if you want trout so bad go to Irvine, Santa Ana River lakes, or Corona pay and play lakes.
LA County lakes, Castaic and Pyramid are lucky to stay open let alone get full plants do to less $$.

Fire Ball
01-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Or maybe not.. Welcome to 2010. CUT,CUT,CUT.. Get over it and if you want trout so bad go to Irvine, Santa Ana River lakes, or Corona pay and play lakes.
LA County lakes, Castaic and Pyramid are lucky to stay open let alone get full plants do to less $$.

Pay Lakes are a rip off and we are already paying for trout plants at our local lakes. Also, it take anyone that lives near Castaic 1 to 2 hours to get to any pay lake. I don't really care about catching the trout that much (they are fun, but I like catching bass better) I care about my bass getting fed! They need those trout so they can get fat! :Envious:
We are getting 450 lbs in the Upper Lake and then 450 lbs in the Lagoon every two weeks.

merkopac
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Fireball your pretty wise for your age.Not only do trout fisherman benefit from trout so do trophy bass and striper fisherman.The town Castaic is built around Castaic lake and alot of businesses rely on the lake.People haved moved to Castaic just because of the lake.The lake is known world wide.A huge part of that is due to trophy fish.Without good trout plants none of that would have happened.When they stock full loads,people can catch trout from boats or from shore and it tapers off by the time the next plant arrives.When they plant half loads and less, people can only catch trout from shore right where they dumped them in on the ramp for a couple of days at the most.I would be willing to try to put something together where we could put money together to buy additional trout from independent hatcheries.We could then put them in on the weeks DFG isnt planting

tpfishnfool
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Fireball your pretty wise for your age.Not only do trout fisherman benefit from trout so do trophy bass and striper fisherman.The town Castaic is built around Castaic lake and alot of businesses rely on the lake.People haved moved to Castaic just because of the lake.The lake is known world wide.A huge part of that is due to trophy fish.Without good trout plants none of that would have happened.When they stock full loads,people can catch trout from boats or from shore and it tapers off by the time the next plant arrives.When they plant half loads and less, people can only catch trout from shore right where they dumped them in on the ramp for a couple of days at the most.I would be willing to try to put something together where we could put money together to buy additional trout from independent hatcheries.We could then put them in on the weeks DFG isnt planting

Wow , G money !! Good luck Brother !!

Fire Ball
01-16-2010, 07:21 PM

I cannot afford to pitch in for additional trout plants, so I can't help you there. First question though, will whoever runs Castaic (the county?) allow private plants to be made? Maybe if you set something up, you could have a way to donate or info on donations on the Castaic website, at the main office, and other stuff like that so people would know about it and then the money goes to whoever pays for the private plants.

TroutOnly
01-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Come on merko the state and the dfg is broke we are lucky to get what we get,the stripers will feed on the smaller schoolies any ways until the state gets its act together we will suffer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TheVman
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
This is simple math guys....more trout=more fish and I agree that anyone that wants to fish for trout can go to Irvine, or wherever. Thats not the point. The fact is good plant helps the largies and the stripers, and to merkopak's point it helps the lake in general, which many businesses in the community rely on. I paid the same amount for my license this that I did last year and would expect the trout plants to be the same as well. Per the artice posted, there is obvisoulsy an issue. Why would any fisherman not want better plants? Serioulsy?? Even you guys that just fish for trout should want better plants.... You see if there are more fish you have a better chance of catching one.. see how that works??

SCVchad
01-16-2010, 10:26 PM
i dont get it, why would one not want more trout, i guess if all you do is troll for rats it doesnt matter though

merkopac
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Fireball you have the right ideas good thing we got a smart kid to do the thinking for us.Thats the kind of responses im looking for(Ideas).Alot of lakes plant trout from independent hatcheries.Fin and feather,Irvine plus even little ponds.Diamond valley lake gets plants from DFG and also buys in independent hatchery trout.As far as the Castaic lake letting us plant trout.Im pretty sure thats up to the DFG since they pretty much control what goes in and out of public lakes,but I cant say for sure.I do think its possible to do something if you get enough people together.Whats up Bob, I know you like trout and stripers.You probably caught 350,000 of em in the last ten years.I have a friend whos locked up at Casitas and the independent hatchery idea came from the locals at that lake.I personally think its a good idea.Anyways thanks guys for your resposes and GO COWBOYS!

TheVman
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
i dont get it, why would one not want more trout, i guess if all you do is troll for rats it doesnt matter though

This is the type of response we need.. Nice work SCVchad, maybe you could beltch and really enlighten us with your wisdom, on second thought..... spare us.

Merkopak & Fireball you guys are on the right track. Lets try to get some stuff going to improve the fishing for all of us @ Castaic!

merkopac
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Chad and John Im pretty sure I know both you guys.Everybody here is on the same team.Everyone has his own ideas,techniques,and target species.Bobs the man on the troll nobody can touch him at that he also catches sweet trout,Chad smacks stripers on big baits,John likes fishing for everything.More trout is good for all of us.It just seems impossible do do anything about it so were all at eachothers throats.

TheVman
01-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Chad and John Im pretty sure I know both you guys.Everybody here is on the same team.Everyone has his own ideas,techniques,and target species.Bobs the man on the troll nobody can touch him at that he also catches sweet trout,Chad smacks stripers on big baits,John likes fishing for everything.More trout is good for all of us.It just seems impossible do do anything about it so were all at eachothers throats.

You're right bro...whatever we need to do get better fishing I'm down with it. Just let me know what you think we should do.

Liteliner
01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
True that.. Plants at Castaic are for kicking the bass bite into gear, thats it..

Thats the beauty of trout plants at Castaic. Kicks the swimbait bite into gear. Whats there not to love about it????:Confused::Confused::Confused:

Robo Bass
01-17-2010, 08:14 PM

It's not just about trout, it's about the bass that get fat off of the stockers.

TroutOnly
01-18-2010, 07:58 AM
scvchad you are a retard,just bevause i do alot of trolling doesnt mean thats all i do, you guys with slective memorys kill me, and i catch alot more than rats *******,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you think the dfg is going to change waht they stock in the big lake at castaic forget it, its in the slot for small trout, pyramid gets bigger trout for some reason hit the lakes with the bigger trout, if i want trout i go to the dvl or the sierras,,,,,,,,,,
OH HERE YOU GO CHAD HERS ONE IOF THOSE RATS I GOT ON THE TROLL,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_9398bigazz-2222MONSTER---BITVCC.jpg
OH HERES ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE RATS...............................
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_0335kkkkkkkkk----------22222222.jpg
OH NO HERES ONE THE TOPWATER FISH WE GOT,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_0467SSTOOGES--------------55555.jpg

OH NO ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE TOPWATER FISH WE GOT OFF THE BOAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_0480xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
PAL I COULD GO FOR DAYS YOU NEED TO KNOW YOURE STUFF BEFORE YOU TRY TO TALK CRAP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DarkShadow
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
We need to start a petition!

seal
01-18-2010, 08:57 AM
If the argument for higher stocking numbers for Castaic is to feed the stripers and LMB's I would think twice before making that argument to the DFG. The purpose for the breeding of trout is not to feed the local bass population it is for people to catch trout. Now I like the byproduct of those stocks (big stripers) but to try and make the argument that we need those stocks higher to feed the stripers so the fishing will be better and the city will profit is just not an argument that is going to be listened to I believe. The idea that we pay so much for our fishing licenses and that we expect the stocks to remain the same to feed our stripers and LMB's is just not gonna fly.

As a matter of fact I'm surprised that the dudes running the DFG have not used that as an excuse not to plant any more trout in striper infested waters.

Trout are a gamefish also not a baitfish.

Liteliner
01-18-2010, 09:50 AM
It's not just about trout, it's about the bass that get fat off of the stockers.

And its also about the $1000 I spent on swimbait gear for this winters trout stockings at Castaic.... :Crying: Give me one decent plant Mr. DFG....

merkopac
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Seal you are right I have already pm several people about this.We as fisherman need to stick together and dont give DFG reasons not to stock trout like"Why put them in, the stripers and bass just eat them" everybody knows that already.People still catch alot of trout when they plant.When they put in such small numbers they are gone in a couple days.Last year after full plants I saw guys catching trout half way down the dam a week after the plant and guys next to the ramp were catching them almost up until the next plant.That is not happening this year.

merkopac
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Petition that is a good idea if somebody with some skills types one up we can get one going on this site(if its ok with the moderators)and I will put one in the tackle shop in Castaic and at the boat rental shop at Castaic lake

tpfishnfool
01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Check yourself Neat Guy !! Bob has more knowlege in his little finger than you will ever have in three lifetimes..

Ray Lopez
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
i personally have not had any problems catching trout all thu out the 2 weeks after the stockings. The bass have slowed down a bit but the trout are still biting you just got to be in the right area at the right time. I know where all the trout are hanging out in the lagoon right now.

kaneo
01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Seal you are right I have already pm several people about this.We as fisherman need to stick together and dont give DFG reasons not to stock trout like"Why put them in, the stripers and bass just eat them" everybody knows that already.People still catch alot of trout when they plant.When they put in such small numbers they are gone in a couple days.Last year after full plants I saw guys catching trout half way down the dam a week after the plant and guys next to the ramp were catching them almost up until the next plant.That is not happening this year.

last year the dfg dumped castaics full allotment in i believe 2 or 3 plants, it was because the filore hatchery was having trouble with the pumps, and they needed to unload the fish right away, the stocked like 20,000 lbs in a few weeks.. and that was it for the whole year..

Kilo818
04-11-2010, 01:23 PM
That last thread did get pretty heated. :LOL:
We can call the DFG and complain, call Castaic and complain which they would say call DFG, but then you just call Castaic so much and have other people call, that they get pissed off and and they complain to the DFG. :ROFL:
Or then you could organize a rally or something, but I don't think you could get that many people to go. I guess you could have people sign a petition or something too. No matter what you do, I don't think it will effect what the state will do. They don't care and don't have the money.

lol dont have the money yeah right I think they are shoving the money up there asses for people buying fishing licen the money is supposed to go towards stocking hatchery fish but I dont see that maybe we should all get together and start something that will teach them they think they could rip us off thats how I feel they raise the prices evry year and no fish thats a bunch of bs

JohnMarino
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Lake Casitas is not getting any trout plants from DFG they had to buy their own trout from oregon. After the plant a million people caught and kept all the trout, so after alot of them were gone, The trout did help, the bass fed pretty decent on shad & trout pretty good and the swimbait bite picked up and now, the trout are gone so the swimbait bite is shut off for most of the day and we are not getting any more plants for the rest of the year. The trout really gets the bass going and big. I just caught a fish that should of been 14-15 lbs and looks like he didnt find any of the trout lol. Lots of fish are skinny right now at Casitas reminds me of some of those big skinny vail fish

dockboy
04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Lake Casitas is not getting any trout plants from DFG they had to buy their own trout from oregon. After the plant a million people caught and kept all the trout, so after alot of them were gone, The trout did help, the bass fed pretty decent on shad & trout pretty good and the swimbait bite picked up and now, the trout are gone so the swimbait bite is shut off for most of the day and we are not getting any more plants for the rest of the year. The trout really gets the bass going and big. I just caught a fish that should of been 14-15 lbs and looks like he didnt find any of the trout lol. Lots of fish are skinny right now at Casitas reminds me of some of those big skinny vail fish

Yup. Unless the lake steps up and really puts a private stocking measure into effect, the chance for double digit fish goes down dramatically. Shad might be great for a protein source, but what you see at shad lakes are boom-bust cycles. If the water gets cold enough to the point that you have a full-blown shad die-off, the fishing off suffers. I think Casitas has seen its time for being a swimbait hot house, honestly.
As far as trout stocking at Castaic...they will stock as they please. Raising money to stock trout from a private hatchery is a good idea, but it takes a lot more organization and paperwork than just buying and stocking. With times like they are, I feel the DFG would more than willingly allow private stocks, but whoever organizes it has to make a lot of effort to cut through political red tape to get things moving.
But yes, the state will have to stock X amount of trout annually at Castaic. How they allot that amount is entirely their decision. Honestly, the DFG has its hands full with the current lawsuit. They are extremely busy during the necessary evaluations for the waters banned from the stocking list, in addition to attending to normal business like stocking and patrolling. All of this is occurring on a shrinking budget with more lay offs. Don't expect fire works to happen when you don't have the match to light'em up :Wink:

lurk 182
04-13-2010, 11:01 AM
all those giant Castaic bass in the early nineties were crawdad fish. trout plants are striper food and i think most trout guys just go to catch triploids at pay lakes. Casitas has more shad than i want right now. It was blocking out the meter anywhere in the lake less than fifteen feet deep for four or five months last fall. those fish aren't eating jerkbaits or flukes when they're already choking on the real stuff. i think it gets harder for fish over eight or ten pounds to stay fat when they don't have trout, but Hodges doesn't get stocked and the lake record is way up there anyway. i'm not too worried about it.

dockboy
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
True. But IMO, there wasn't a swimbait market when Crupi and the guys caught all those fish. I think those fish ate the craws when they were caught, but I believe its likely they ate a lot of trout too. It is correct that today the stockers are just striper fertilizer for Castaic.

Robo Bass
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe start a website devoted to this, advertise that on some forums, organize some petitions and whatever else on it, and go from there. That would be getting something done instead of just arguing over whether or not more trout plants are necessary or whatever the hell everyones arguing about.

I see no reason why they can't increase plants (I understand the economy is crap but I doubt fishing license income and whatever other income they use for plants dropped so much that they can't easily just slightly increase prices, try to get more donations, move money around, etc.), and I see no reason why planting more trout wouldn't be very beneficial (more fish to catch and more hawgs).

blackberg
04-13-2010, 05:41 PM
one thing to think about is that DFG is supposed to devote a certain amount of $$$ for hatchery plants. I dont think it says this lake get X amount and this lake gets Y amount. Most likely the fish would normally go to say Castaic are going to another lake in the system.

-bb

Kilo818
04-13-2010, 06:39 PM
if anybody wants to help me set something up and bring a bunch of people together and do something about this please let me know I cant do this alone.

dockboy
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I see no reason why they can't increase plants (I understand the economy is crap but I doubt fishing license income and whatever other income they use for plants dropped so much that they can't easily just slightly increase prices, try to get more donations, move money around, etc.)

Because as a state our budget is somewhere in the region of $20 billion in the red. And the DFG doesn't run on fishing and hunting license revenue alone, tho the state government would like you to think that it does.

thedeadone
04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
to everybody on this site that is posting----be happy with what you get---the state is broke---we do not have funds for plants---you guys suck balls!!!!!!!! I payed more in taxes this year than ever!!!!! and I have to hear how the state is broke!! b.s.!! stop giving my money to low lifes who do not work---stop giving healthcare to people with out money. Stop paying prison gaurds double time to keep somebody who got caught smoking a joint behind bars.hows that for a rant!!!! about $52 for two pole license. about $10 everytime you
fish a lake.about $18 to visit a state park. about $12 to camp a night.My god ---tax tax tax tax - and now enviro thugs shut our trout plants off....... YOU people need to wake up!!!!!

FSHNLIC
04-13-2010, 09:00 PM
The State is not broke!! They are simply fiscally irresponsible!!! Our money which is suppose to be used for our fishery is simply paying for the salaries of our politicians and numerous other worthless agencies..... Simply put... if they were to stock our lakes as they once did, we would have some tremendous fisheries...Don't get me wrong we still do, but I believe there is more the state and DFG could do.
Years ago, when Castaic was heavily planted...I would catch 4-5lb holdover rainbows, 6 and 7lb Largemouths, and have been broken off by 15-20lb Stripers using too light of line.... all in the same day and fishing from shore! I also believe the DFG should do more stockings as a put and take fishery much like Crowley and Big Bear Lake.... Other states sure don't seem to have the same problems managing their fisheries...... Legalize POT... that may be a start... not for me, but for the state.....

Robo Bass
04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Because as a state our budget is somewhere in the region of $20 billion in the red. And the DFG doesn't run on fishing and hunting license revenue alone, tho the state government would like you to think that it does.

What revenue do they use for trout plants? Although I guess we still wouldn't be getting many plants in Castaic because of the eco freaks.

Fire Ball
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
What revenue do they use for trout plants? Although I guess we still wouldn't be getting many plants in Castaic because of the eco freaks.

Well, at least not in the Lagoon, but we have been getting plants in the Upper Lake now for a while, but I am pretty sure they are still weak plants..

seal
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Nevada has a special stamp, 5 dollars a year, for trout. You must have a stamp to fish for trout, but all revenue from that stamp goes directly to the fish stocking budget.

I guess if we actually believed that the 5 bucks would go to stocking then most would agree with this, at least we could be assured that plants would remain consistent.

Problem is I wouldn't trust California Government they'd rob that bank too.