PDA

View Full Version : Huge Slab Crappie Spotted

JigStop
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Was loading out late Sunday and wouldn't you know it DFG was there waiting for us. We checked out fine and just as we were getting out of there here come two drunkards pulling up. Never seen a field sobriety test done at DVL before this.:ROFL:

Somehow they managed to escape justice. (actually only one them looked bombed). My friend goes over as they were loading and asks how they did. The sober guys hauls out what looked like a 4lb. + crappie.,:EyePop: had to be almost 20" long! The DFG "inspection" cost them a shot a lake record, the office was closed.

One other thing, the guy who smelled like whiskey, said the fish was one of the original stockers because it had this V-notch in its tail. I wasn't aware they stocked crappie. :???: Does Mike Guasti want to comment?

one time
01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Those are they type of bafoons that would slam into the side of your boat ! Bring back the Sheriff patrol.

Matt_Magnone
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
i wonder if those were the same dudes that put a hole in a customers champion the other day. haha :ROFL:

sheriff boat has been out this past week so im amazed they didnt get screwed with

bassaholic90
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
You need to becarefull i was fishing vail lake last month or so and some guys were drinking and raceing back and fourth. the driver turned hard really fast and one of the passengers fell off and cracked his head on the boat. luckly we were there to help them get this guy on the boat he was about 260 pounds floating face down. you always hear about theses horry stories let me tell you it was quite diffrent seeing one. keep your eyes open on the water boats dont have brakes!!!!!

kwin
01-16-2010, 02:20 PM
There were no crappies, stripers, green sunfish, carp, silversides, shad, wakasagi, prickly sculpin or flathead catfish stocked by the DFG into DVL. They all came in with the water.

Quinn Granfors
Environmental Scientist
DFG Diamond Valley Lake/Skinner

JigStop
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Quinn. I do know that some of the renegade Elsinore panfish crew were out stocking crappie last year. I know several dozen large brood stock were put into Skinner to try to revitialize that fishery.

guest007
01-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Fish Planting History:

Fish stockings began back in 1998 in an 80-acre rearing pond at the reservior site. A total of 217 Florida-strain largemouths to 8-pounds were captured, mostly from Hodges lake in San Diego, and released into the pond. Also included were stockings of 15,000 Florida bluegill, 17,000 northern bluegill, 10,000 redear sunfish and at least 2,000 fingerling largemouth bass. As the lake rose during the filling process in 2000, the rearing pond became submerged, releasing the bass and panfish into the reservior. At this time channel and blue catfish, crappie, smallmouth bass (2,200 in the 6-12 inch range), and rainbow trout (as many as 300,000) were planted. To provide forage for these fish, silverside minnows, shiners, tule perch and two types of crawfish were also included in the plantings. In 2001, an additional 1,500 1-pound rainbow trout and 500 4-5 pound rainbows were also introduced.

This is from the DVL info on this site.

labboss2003
01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Did Quinn work with the MLPA ??????

kwin
01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
No, I never wanted to be involved in the MLPA or Anadromous Salmonid issues. The info posted on the DVL website is almost right, believe what you want, I stand by my previous post.

ifishinxs
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
This is from the DVL info on this site.

This is the correct info. Thanks for digging it up..

HuskerRod
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks Kwin, thanks guest007!!!! Wonder what happened to those 500 or so 4-5 pound trout stocked back in the day. They'd be huge by now.

LittleBoyBlue
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I remember reading stories before the lake was opened up about being STOCKED with X pounds of this fish or that fish. Don't believe this guy about the lake never being stocked.

Obv wrong.

JigStop
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
One of the Vietnamese bass boat guys caught a trout pushing 10lbs. last weekend on a downrigger. Had what I thought were lamprey sucker scars on its sides. He says it was trout ringworm. I think lamprey because I used to fish Lake Michigan and they had a problem with the lamprey. So in response to your question, I think there are still some very large trout in DVL (no the stripers haven't eaten them). Its just a matter of getting down to them.

retraction: 1/29/2010 Talked to a fisheries biologist. There are NO lamprey in DVL or California for that matter. He suggested maybe an attack by a large striper or perhaps a birth defect. Sorry.