PDA

View Full Version : HB surf / NPH ~ 1/14/10

Rakie
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm gonna get it out of the way now ~ Total skunk. I know there was the rain but, I haven't hit the water since 2006, I was going!

7am I showed up at the beach for some surf fishing, just in case I didn't like the look of it I took some stuff to chuck in the harbor. So first thing I see when a view the ocean !? White sea, big swells. Well, figured id toss in a 1/4oz jig head and 3" sexy smelt to see what happens ~ The lure couldn't hit the sand, the water was too rough, just picked it up and threw it ashore, I gave it some time but decided to just go for broke and head to NPH for my first trip in the harbor !

So, arrive at NPH around 8:30, started at 15th street, worked my way down to Coronado st. I decided when I got there today would be about trying anything and everything, so many great people have shared info and advice with me and they ALL use their own lures / colors / techniques exclusively (with good success).

Water was about 2-3' visibility, the shore was littered with jellyfish and baitfish. I was throwing 1/4oz heads with Sexy Smelt, Sardine and Atomic Punk big hammers, and 3" Gulp jerk shad. I also DS the Jerk shad, absolutely no luck whatsoever. I was there from 8:30 - 1:30. A couple times I threw a plastic and swam it in just above the sand and it came back with a school of bait fish following it, I thought that was kinda neat. Fished under docks, from docks and by docks.

So in the end, I learned I have a lot to learn about harbor fishing. For a first time on the harbor it wasn't too bad, I couldn't have caught less than zero fish, but it was a nice sunny day, cool, light breeze and I have a bit of an idea where to go around there. Next time can only be better.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

1/16/10, NPH again. Figured id try and get in one last day before this storm comes in.

This time, armed with a little more knowledge and 'calico cocktail' I headed out, got there late, 10:30 and fished till 1:30.

I was throwing big hammers, Sexy Smelt and Sardine, then carolina rigged 3" Emerald Shiner minnow and 5" pearl flukes.

About 20 minutes into it I get a bite on mystery bite, set the hook for nothing, pull up my Big Hammer and it's shredded up, tail missing as well. And thats all I got ~

Was crawling the hammers in on the bottom, and swimming them in *just* above the bottom, was twitching the flukes / jerks in. About the only thing I don't have color wise is chartreuse, and maybe that's 'the green' I need.

So another day, another skunk. I'm gonna have to hook up with one of you guys next time, these little bass are making me look a fool !

All in all, it was a reasonably peaceful day on the water ~ Better to catch nothing than do nothing.

Fire Ball
01-14-2010, 03:54 PM
At least you learned something. You haven't fished since 2006? I think it is a long time when I haven't fished for a week. :ROFL:

klocked
01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice effort Rakie!!, sometimes that counts more than anything.

What type of retrieve were you using in the harbor?

If it was anything more than slow, then try slowing it down to a crawl.

Also, when you're fishing the harbor between docks, you want to cast
as close as you can to the docks. Make lots of casts at each spot as
sometimes you'll have to irritate the spotties to make them bite.

murrieta angler
01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
At least you tried Bro!
I've never done the harbor thing myself, but if you try enough different things you're bound to get a fish sooner or later...:Big Grin:
I'll be out at the beach this weekend and I hope it slows down..:Neutral:
Thanks for the report,
Robert

Rakie
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I haven't fished since 06', we sold our boat and I got busy with school and all, but now I've got time to see about some spotted bay bass !

Nice effort Rakie!!, sometimes that counts more than anything.

What type of retrieve were you using in the harbor?

If it was anything more than slow, then try slowing it down to a crawl.

Also, when you're fishing the harbor between docks, you want to cast
as close as you can to the docks. Make lots of casts at each spot as
sometimes you'll have to irritate the spotties to make them bite.

Today I tried a bit of everything. I was casting about 10-20 times or more to the same spot first crawling, then going slow, then swimming it back (When I swam it back, baitfish started schooling around it, was kinda cool, yet ineffective).

I think I'm just going to go with the crawl method. Also I was just itching too much to get out there, I'm not sure how much the rain messed up the bite, if at all. So we'll see how things go when it wasn't raining the day prior.

At least you tried Bro!
I've never done the harbor thing myself, but if you try enough different things you're bound to get a fish sooner or later...:Big Grin:
I'll be out at the beach this weekend and I hope it slows down..:Neutral:
Thanks for the report,
Robert

Good luck with the surf. I was out the other day and it was pretty calm, and on the way back home today I checked out the same spot (it's on the way home) and it was pretty calm, 2' sea's or so.

klocked
01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Today I tried a bit of everything. I was casting about 10-20 times or more to the same spot first crawling, then going slow, then swimming it back (When I swam it back, baitfish started schooling around it, was kinda cool, yet ineffective).

Hmm....... what lb test line?

Rakie
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Hmm....... what lb test line?

7' Shimano Clarius, 4-12# test, I was using 6# test. Green P-line.

klocked
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Did you try any dark colored baits? dark green......browns,,, blacks...?

HESBROS
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
7' Shimano Clarius, 4-12# test, I was using 6# test. Green P-line.

6-8 should work......though I am not a fan of P-line!

Maybe it's the gear, if you did not get it at Turners then that might be the problem!:LOL:

MikeAce00
01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice Job on just getting out there Rakie. Spotties are a blast. You'll get em next time and you'll be hooked!

bergie berg
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
dont get down, the more you go the learning curve will speed up and the more you will catch!!!

Rakie
01-15-2010, 07:25 AM
6-8 should work......though I am not a fan of P-line!

Maybe it's the gear, if you did not get it at Turners then that might be the problem!:LOL:

Haha, maybe!

Did you try any dark colored baits? dark green......browns,,, blacks...?

Everything I have right now is lighter colored, all my gear was inshore and offshore, or large mouth bass stuff, so I didn't want to get too invested in any one color right away, went to fisherman's hardware and picked up 2 of what most people told me they have success with. I still have just a couple more colors to pickup, the dark ones.

Nice Job on just getting out there Rakie. Spotties are a blast. You'll get em next time and you'll be hooked!

dont get down, the more you go the learning curve will speed up and the more you will catch!!!

Aye, no sweat here. Just glad to finally get out there after a long break, everybody here is very generous with their experience ~ I have no doubt hanging around here will do anything but produce some good days on the water.

Tight lines
~Rakie.

Fishbones
01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Never give up.......and keep hitting it...

fisherman from long beach
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
believe me when i say this freakin site will only improve your fishing skill.also you might catch a lil freakin attitude from some weenies,but just ignore,and keep on trying,and continue to let us how you do.this place will have you going out when ever you have time.i catch flack from the ole lady about it but thats ok.lol.tight lines

Wingnut
01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
You are a brave one getting out there in these conditions... be careful out there. :Wink: Chalk these sessions up as learning experiences and store them in your memory banks. Your success rate will improve with every trip. :Cool: Keep at it!

Rakie
01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
You are a brave one getting out there in these conditions... be careful out there. :Wink:

Brave? Maybe, foolish definitely !

Chalk these sessions up as learning experiences and store them in your memory banks. Your success rate will improve with every trip. :Cool: Keep at it!

Aye, the last time I went fishing was when the yellow tail were in 06' or so, the closest thing to 'finesse fishing' there is throwing irons near kelp patties ! Fun times casting light line close to structure again :)

Rakie
01-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Today's report added up top.

smokehound
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Try using plain white grubs, they work well in harbors.. Caught a nice hali a year ago that way..

Those storm swells are no joke, do not fish the surf under those conditions.. A huge wave over 11 feet can appear out of nowhere in such conditions..

Though alot of people do catch some monsters in these conditions.. For some reason, Halis seem to love this kind of weather, i guess perch and smelt get injured by the strong waves, making easy pickings.

Rakie
01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I was tossing some 'pearl' Zoom flukes, seen a lot of pictures that had these hanging out of fish's mouths, so I know it can produce ~ Maybe just not the right time. The only thing that looked like it got some attention was the greenest thing in my box. I'm gonna pickup some chartreuse colors before my next outing.

And yea, I got hit by one of those rogue waves when I was out there. I was way away from the surf, looking in my box trying to think of something to throw at 'the white monster' and a wave came up this 2.5' flat drop off and still had enough power to nearly knock me on my ***. If I had jumped down that little drop and walked a few feet, that white water would have towered over me ~

Dangerous indeed. Hopefully my foolishness will keep others safe !

Try using plain white grubs, they work well in harbors.. Caught a nice hali a year ago that way..

Those storm swells are no joke, do not fish the surf under those conditions.. A huge wave over 11 feet can appear out of nowhere in such conditions..

Though alot of people do catch some monsters in these conditions.. For some reason, Halis seem to love this kind of weather, i guess perch and smelt get injured by the strong waves, making easy pickings.

flyngby
01-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Rakie!

I feel your pain and it will come to you soon! One thing I think you missed in the great knowledge that Eddie (Hesbros) offer up is the timing!

I think you may have the right tools to get it done but your timing is off.

Try first light for the first few hours and the last light into the evening and success will come your way! We always experience a slow bite when the sun is high on our all day trips to the harbor and it usually turns into casting practice for some very talented anglers!!!!

We enjoy the life of the Wealthy and do a lot of talking strategy as to where to go for the evening bite based on what we learned from the morning session!!!!!

Good Luck to all!

Steve

HESBROS
01-17-2010, 07:33 AM
I was lucky enough to be taught by one of the NPH pros (Steve) how these little devils work. I first fished them from his boat and have put many trips in with him on his boat down there so I was able totake the boat techniques and try them from shore.

I guess the other big question is where are you fishing? We been hammering the same area for a few weeks now. I can tell you that the obvious easy to get to street ends have not been alll that productive.

I just looked at the tide chart and you were there for the right kind of tide. Water movement is key to NPH. You had the same conditions that we had Friday.

Like Steve said, timing is everything, and the middle of the day is usually slower. Early morning or evening seems to be best, but like I said before, if you have to fish during the middle of the day look for the shadows along the docks, which is tough this time of the year when the sun is straight up.

Also, you fished the outgoing tide, so, that means cast on the northern side of the dock/structure and let the current take your bait under or closer to the dock. It is tricky to get that close especially with the wind.

As for baits, if you are fishing 15th st or along that area, I think swim baits are out for now. There seems to be too much clutter on the bottom to hang up on and with the sloooooow retrieve that you need right now you just hang up. There are spots further south that swimbaits are working. As for the colors, you did not mention the magical color "Spotty Special"? Day or night, they work.

Slow, slow slow is the key right now. If you are on the D/S, you will get hit just sitting and twitching. For example, if your sinker gets hung up on the retrieve in grass or something, stop it there and twitching.

Also, you might try Balboa Island, take the ferry or enter off Jamboree. Not a whole lotta docks but plenty of structure. For exmaple, all the little beaches that have the boats moored to the white mooring balls, fish them too.

Good luck and I hope this helps. BTW, I never use Zoom Flukes, have not caught a darn thing on them, but have been on Steves boat when he and Arthur are both catching fish on them, "White Ice" was the ticket then. I am a Berkley boy, so I suggest Jerk Shads (Camo) and the "Bait Fish" in the emerald shiner. Though I have used all kinds of colors of jerk shad in NPH and got fish on all of them.

I will PM you my nuumber and text me back and I will let you know next time I go....maybe today before the weather changes.....overcast makes shadows!

Rakie
01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Lots of tips, thanks much guys!

I'll make sure to get out there earlier, all the time's I went I got a little hung up. I'll try and have lines in the water at gray light.

01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
a rakie i was out this morning on the tube off jamboree all the way to the back caught a couple,then i went to the island b4 the ferry and fished those docks and got a couple more 1really nice one,it fought real good.i was workin the d/s gulp alive 4in minnow.

Rakie
01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
a rakie i was out this morning on the tube off jamboree all the way to the back caught a couple,then i went to the island b4 the ferry and fished those docks and got a couple more 1really nice one,it fought real good.i was workin the d/s gulp alive 4in minnow.

Cool deal, the other day I was fishing the small island near balboa street. Looked like a good location, just need to hit the water sooner I suppose.

01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
i was out there about 7ish and was gone at 12.get some fishin in b4 the storm.