PDA

View Full Version : Reading google earth surf maps. What does this pic imply ?

Rakie
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello all, I've been reading a ton of info on this forum, I've seen some google earth images of really flat clear water with deep holes and some rocks, looks gorgeous and a place id love to wet my line.

About 3 miles from my house I have some interesting looking water, to me it just looks like it's really choppy, and probably really flat, maybe im misreading it, but hopefully you guys can help out with that. I'm guessing this would mostly hold perch, not sure there's any 'ambush' area's for halibuts, and the water might not be calm enough.

fish4keep
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Who knows how old those pix are so you CAN'T look at a surf pic on google earth and expect them to be the same (holes, pockets, sand bars, etc.). The only thing you can be certains are non moveable structures (jetties, shallow rock piles, piers).

LunkerLover
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Hello all, I've been reading a ton of info on this forum, I've seen some google earth images of really flat clear water with deep holes and some rocks, looks gorgeous and a place id love to wet my line.

About 3 miles from my house I have some interesting looking water, to me it just looks like it's really choppy, and probably really flat, maybe im misreading it, but hopefully you guys can help out with that. I'm guessing this would mostly hold perch, not sure there's any 'ambush' area's for halibuts, and the water might not be calm enough.

Yeah, dude ... don't trust those water patterns at all .... sometimes, they simply copy other image areas and paste over water images....

Rakie
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, dude ... don't trust those water patterns at all .... sometimes, they simply copy other image areas and paste over water images....

haha, well thats too bad. I know things would change but that water looks so drastically different from everything else I figured it must be different somehow, but that all makes sense.

Ah well, i'll probably head out there someday and figure out how it is for myself.

BIGRED KILLA
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
The pics are around 4 to 5 years old and Mother nature can change everything esp if there is a storm or big swells your deep holes can be gone and the smaller rocks to. If it is only 3 miles from your house you REALLY need to go give it a try you will never know how that spot is unless you try it and if you get the skunk go back a few more times.

Good Luck,,

Bigred

LunkerLover
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
...with deep holes..., looks gorgeous and a place id love to wet my line.

:EyePop: :ROFL: :LOL: :Cool:

Are we talking about fishing spots?

Rakie
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
:EyePop: :ROFL: :LOL: :Cool:

Are we talking about fishing spots?

Reading between the lines huh ! haha.

Yeah I live pretty close to the beach, I've been pouring over boards looking for a good lake.. All the nice lakes are 60+ miles away, screw it, the beach is 3 miles away. lol.