Here goes some bad news on Cattle Boat catch, regarding Sand Bass, Cudas
surf fish also.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs5.asp#advisories

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Here goes some bad news on Cattle Boat catch, regarding Sand Bass, Cudas
surf fish also.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs5.asp#advisories

damn...this realllly sucks....this thread, even though very helpful and informative, is going to really hurt the already struggling sportfishing landings...

but in my case, I would be fine just catching and releasing....

GD

fisherman from long beach
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
damn i was poaching cabezon last saturday and didnt know it,i need to get me regulations on this type of article

Rakie
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
You know, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping a fish here and there. But I don't think you ever have to keep a bag limit.. Ever. I've been fishing my entire life, and I've kept fish maybe 6 or 7 times in my 19 years of fishing (started when I was 5 in 1990). And it was always 1 fish, not a limit. The only exception was San Dabs, which I didn't keep for myself either.

So, I think this is a good thing. Hopefully people will go fishing for the fun of fishing, and be happy to know what they caught was released and it's back to fight another day and breed some youngins' as well.

Sorry for preaching, I just re-read that Black Sea Bass thread. Making my super conservey side come out !

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
It sucks but its been like this for years. remember when they posted the do not eat yellowfin croaker signs in 80's...and its only going to get worse...bad for those who rely on fish from these places to feed there familys,. good for the fish population and C&R anglers but still sad to read that it only continues to get worse:Sad:................FisHbOnEs

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 10:54 AM
You know, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping a fish here and there. But I don't think you ever have to keep a bag limit.. Ever. I've been fishing my entire life, and I've kept fish maybe 6 or 7 times in my 19 years of fishing (started when I was 5 in 1990). And it was always 1 fish, not a limit. The only exception was San Dabs, which I didn't keep for myself either.

So, I think this is a good thing. Hopefully people will go fishing for the fun of fishing, and be happy to know what they caught was released and it's back to fight another day and breed some youngins' as well.

Sorry for preaching, I just re-read that Black Sea Bass thread. Making my super conservey side come out !

Unfortunately, those days are LONG gone..too many "meat" fishermen.I remember those days brother...people would go fishing just to go, regardless of the fishing. We would get out ALL year, but with the economy the way it is especially, people want to justify the large amounts of money they have to spend on sportboats these days. I remember when we had $40 overnight trips.....

GD
GD

Rakie
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, those days are LONG gone..too many "meat" fishermen.I remember those days brother...people would go fishing just to go, regardless of the fishing. We would get out ALL year, but with the economy the way it is especially, people want to justify the large amounts of money they have to spend on sportboats these days. I remember when we had $40 overnight trips.....

GD
GD

Agreed. My uncle had a 21' so we never had to get on party boats, we were always out there for the yellowtail when they were in. I did a few trips to Catalina for White Sea Bass, but the trips happened to be total skunks on the Bass, so we ended up fishing for everything else in the area.. I saw a boat load of people keep limits on all types of bass, every halibut over 22", Cuda, perch.. I mean anything they caught that was legal was put in the bags.

It's all legal, nothing you can do about it.. But that just kinda turns my stomach a little. Never really went on those trips again after that.

My little personal motto is:

Half a limit is my limit.
NEVER keep your personal best.

And I'm really glad a lot of people around here feel the same way.

flytyingreloader
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Rakie, I like how you roll. Class act, from a conservation point of view.

GD, good point about meat fishing to feed a family and defray costs. It's not my way, but it's also none of my business how another angler runs his sport as long as the laws are followed.

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Rakie, I like how you roll. Class act, from a conservation point of view.

GD, good point about meat fishing to feed a family and defray costs. It's not my way, but it's also none of my business how another angler runs his sport as long as the laws are followed.

yeah..I agree....I am in no way, shape, or form implying that there is anything wrong whatsoever about keeping ure legal limit, just saying it would be great if more people caught and released a little bit more, especially LMB and any calico over 4 lbs......

this post is just really sad, because not only are we fighting the tree huggers, seals, high cost of sportfishing, poachers, etc...now its getting to a point where we will soon not even be able to eat the fish we catch, if thats what someone chooses to do...

Im scared to death about how fishing, closures, newer regs, etc, will be in the next 5-10 years

GD

spooks
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
yeah..I agree....I am in no way, shape, or form implying that there is anything wrong whatsoever about keeping ure legal limit, just saying it would be great if more people caught and released a little bit more, especially LMB and any calico over 4 lbs......

this post is just really sad, because not only are we fighting the tree huggers, seals, high cost of sportfishing, poachers, etc...now its getting to a point where we will soon not even be able to eat the fish we catch, if thats what someone chooses to do...

Im scared to death about how fishing, closures, newer regs, etc, will be in the next 5-10 years

GD

Never meant to upset anyone. I'm just as sad on how we as a nation have polluted to this point, not only hurting the fishing industry but our Coastal waters also.
but at the same time we should be aware of what we might consume.
as fars as catch and release goes, I wont even judge, there are laws that cover that.
as long as you follow the law I can't judge everything else would just be my personal opinion.

BIGRED KILLA
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM

GD

X2

Bigred..

Cangler
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I smoke , i drink and now i eat mercury .... idc !

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Never meant to upset anyone. I'm just as sad on how we as a nation have polluted to this point, not only hurting the fishing industry but our Coastal waters also.
but at the same time we should be aware of what we might consume.
as fars as catch and release goes, I wont even judge, there are laws that cover that.
as long as you follow the law I can't judge everything else would just be my personal opinion.

NO man....thank you for this post.....cuz on rare occasion, if I dont have any RF, i might eat a winter bass for fish taco night at my pad...now I know that aint happening...lol...

thanks for the info man....

GD

murrieta angler
01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Education starts at home.
When I take my kids out I make sure they throw back most every fish. They are cool with it, as they tell me that they just like catching them and seeing what they are.
Don't get me wrong, their are those days when I keep quite a few fish, but that's knowing that that they will all be dinner for either myself or family and friends.
I personally wouldn't mind C&R for money. Their are alot of people out there who depend on fishing for a living and they have families also.
Just my 9 cents.

sansou
01-13-2010, 08:02 PM
When I go rockcodding, I almost always take a rockcod limit....a "Mex limit" at that. :Wink: There's no shortage where I happen to like to go fishing. And I have no shortage of people that want some quality eating fish....not talking about checkers, turd rollers or salmon grouper.

On the other hand, on those times where I fish locally in SD, I rarely will keep a fish. Why?

Cause we got mega pollution issues locally (Navy!), and it scares me to feed it to my wife and daughter. My mother-in-law not so much...which reminds me, what's the best rig for croaker?

jsl
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
When I go rockcodding, I almost always take a rockcod limit....a "Mex limit" at that. :Wink: There's no shortage where I happen to like to go fishing. And I have no shortage of people that want some quality eating fish....not talking about checkers, turd rollers or salmon grouper.

On the other hand, on those times where I fish locally in SD, I rarely will keep a fish. Why?

Cause we got mega pollution issues locally (Navy!), and it scares me to feed it to my wife and daughter. My mother-in-law not so much...which reminds me, what's the best rig for croaker?

By "where I happen to like to go fishing", I'm guessing it's San Quintin eh? I'v had the pleasure of reading some of your reports from there man and I'm in total agreement. Arent we lucky it's just a few hours away? I dont even go fishing locally any longer because it's simply not worth my time and effort anymore.

Scott

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I emailed Long Beach sportfishing and they weren't aware of it. After reading it she replied back.
She told me it was in the bays and breakwaters but not out where they go. Her reason was it was more stagnant water by the piers but, not out by the fishing grounds.

The website does say santa monica pier to seal beach pier?

Mike

jerryG
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
It makes sense that fish which spend most if not all their time in stagnant back waters would have higher levels of toxins in their bodies. Juvenile barracuda sometimes move in to back waters however they spend most of their time in open water which is where most adult barracuda (legal size or better) are caught. Most calico bass are caught in areas where there is tidal movement and or current. This should indicate that fish outside of the marinas, harbors, and bays which include both residential (calico bass)and seasonal migratory (barracuda) species are impacted by pollution.

This should make a stronger argument for catch and release. As mentioned by others I see nothing wrong with keeping fish but consider releasing larger fish (brood stock). The limit laws are very generous. If you decide to keep some fish for dinner just take what you need in other words

LIMIT YOUR TAKE, DON’T TAKE YOUR LIMIT.

JerryG

smokehound
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I just cant believe this crap.

DockRat
01-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I emailed Long Beach sportfishing and they weren't aware of it. After reading it she replied back.
She told me it was in the bays and breakwaters but not out where they go. Her reason was it was more stagnant water by the piers but, not out by the fishing grounds.

The website does say santa monica pier to seal beach pier?

Mike

That lady is funny :ROFL:.
They sit on Horseshoe everyday which happens to be just a couple miles down current from the Whites Point LA County sewer outfall and straight out from 2 Major Polluting Rivers.

The same outfall that the Montrose Company in Torrance dumped tons and tons of DDT in the 1950's. This is a 'Super Fund Site' that the MLPA wanted nothing to do with due to the DDT and the State already spending millions on with studies. They have been talking for years about dumping rock/sand in the area near the end of the pipe to put a 'cap' over it.

Port Pollution ? Some say the port is a pollution problem in the water (not talking about air). I've read that the Port of LA/LB is the cleanest it has been in over 50 years. I see Kelp all ovet the Port growing on all the inner rock walls. Tons of Bait, Fish, Dolphins, Eagles. Yes the Port is polluted but I think the problem is the rivers.

Gone are the days of leaking ships, spills, back bays full of slime and oil slicks.

THE PROBLEM IS HUMANS.

The population in LA County is near 10 million.
Every car, truck leaves exhaust, brake dust, tire rubber.

When your tires wear out where do you think that worn off rubber goes.

STORM DRAIN, RIVER, THEN OCEAN.

Inner city pollution, fertilizers, pesticides. This storm coming will bring more pollution into OUR Ocean Playground.

Malibu Creek Major Polluter
Ballona Creek Major Polluter
LA River Major Polluter
Dominguez Channel Major Polluter
San Gabrial River Major Polluter

Urban Runoff 24/7/365 from millions of people!

You would not believe the crap I've seen in LB after a storm.
Junky Needles, Condoms, thousands of spray cans (thanks to our friendly taggers who pitch there cans in the storm drains) AXXHOLES :Angry:

Main Entry: pollute pu-!lUt
Pronunciation: \ pə-ˈlüt \
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): polˇlutˇed, polˇlutˇing,
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin pollutus, past participle of polluere, from por- (akin to Latin per through) + -luere (akin to Latin lutum mud, Greek lyma dirt, defilement) - More at - for
Date: 14th century
Results

2 a. 2 ato make physically impure or unclean : befoul dirtyb. bto contaminate (an environment) especially with man-made waste- Synonym - see contaminate

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/ragar01/soundtracks/Soylent_Green_FSMCDVol6No820.jpghttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Zenzoidman/Shoebox/soylentgreen.jpg

DR

Ambassadorhawg
01-16-2010, 07:07 AM
It's the human's fault. That crazy race of creatures went and messed up this whole planet! Blame it on the humans!!!!