PDA

View Full Version : Cold water bass!

Custard
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
So i will be fishing shasta lake this weekend, and i just want to double check my game plan with someone who knows this cold water bassin more than i do.
I willl be fishing from a boat. A local shop i called let me know that the water temp is at a cool 50 degrees. After looking a topo map of the lake, i see that it has some pretty steep drop offs most of the way around. I plan on fishing the 30' deep areas looking for metered fish. How deep, typically, are the bass are this time of year?
I will be using drop shotted senkos, plastic worms and bass jigs, mainly slow techniques.
Am i missing any other techniques here? Any help to make this trip a success would be appreciated!

DarkShadow
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Shasta is predominately spotted bass. Spotted bass will suspend on steep vertical walls more than the largemouth will. Try popping a spoon on their heads.

You can also try fishing steeper lake points with handpours on darter heads.

Good luck out there!

sansou
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I've always had some consistent results with white/pearl piggly tail grubs on a small leadhead, on those times I go smallie fishing up in Colorado, and awhile back when I used to go to Michigan more frequently.

Fastfish
01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I use to live on Almanor and fished Shasta in the winter mostly, because Almanor was pretty much unfishable at this time of the year I'd fish darter headed worms from a couple inches deep to 15ft then drop-shot and spider-jigs we had some truly incredible days up there in the dead of winter.

Fastfish

Custard
01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
ok i have some 3" curly tail grubs in white and black. As far as spoons, i have some of the 3.5" krocodiles and some of the smalle castmasters. Looks like ima be fishing in the rain, theres a 70% chance of precipitation this weekend!!

Ambassadorhawg
01-13-2010, 05:54 AM
I agree with Dark Shadow on the spoon and darthead approaches. I would also bring some tailspinners.

If there is electronics on the boat, try to locate bait balls...bass will be right there with them.