PDA

View Full Version : Kaenon Polarized Sunglasses

WaterBound
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
After my optometrist suggested Kaenon sunglasses I had to give them a try. Right now they are on special and with tax and shipping came out to ~$125.00. I got the Jetty in almond colored frames with copper color tint. They are obviously the fugliest of the entire color selection and probably will be discontinued as the lowered price suggests. I ordered straight from Kaenon to make sure that I got the warranty. I ordered 2 day shipping and received my item the very next day!

The Jetty model has thick sides that appear to be very heavy. The frames themselves rest on the sides of your face not the bridge of your nose. The frames are also shaped according to a human head and not flat. This all contributes to making the frames feel light and very secure on your face.

Even though the lenses are larger than other models. There was plenty of airflow, though I have high cheekbones. So there were no fogging issues.

The SR91 material was only slightly clearer than polycarbonate. But IMHO it is clearer, with contacts and normal non-RX SR91 lenses.

By the way for all RX eyeglass wearers. I suggest you make the transition to soft monthly disposable contact lenses. Very affordable with internet vendors. Best thing you can do for improving your vision. I only wish I made the transition years ago. EVERYTHING is BRIGHTER! The occipital lobe transition is a trip. It is just one step closer to the perfect vision you used to have. Makes me think about laser surgery in the near future. Next time you get your new RX. Go ask for a FREE trial pair. Keep using free sample lenses until you find the brand you feel is most comfortable over a long period. Then get them cheaply online.

As for the sunglasses, they are easily worth ~$125. Even in the funky color.

http://kaenon.com/product/15_jetty.html

cappo
01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
i've been wearing the jetty's for 2+ years. Best shades i've ever bought.

lngbchfnhnter
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
After my optometrist suggested Kaenon sunglasses I had to give them a try. Right now they are on special and with tax and shipping came out to ~$125.00. I got the Jetty in almond colored frames with copper color tint. They are obviously the fugliest of the entire color selection and probably will be discontinued as the lowered price suggests. I ordered straight from Kaenon to make sure that I got the warranty. I ordered 2 day shipping and received my item the very next day!

The Jetty model has thick sides that appear to be very heavy. The frames themselves rest on the sides of your face not the bridge of your nose. The frames are also shaped according to a human head and not flat. This all contributes to making the frames feel light and very secure on your face.

Even though the lenses are larger than other models. There was plenty of airflow, though I have high cheekbones. So there were no fogging

The SR91 material was only slightly clearer than polycarbonate. But IMHO it is clearer, with contacts and normal non-RX SR91 lenses.

By the way for all RX eyeglass wearers. I suggest you make the transition to soft monthly disposable contact lenses. Very affordable with internet vendors. Best thing you can do for improving your vision. I only wish I made the transition years ago. EVERYTHING is BRIGHTER! The occipital lobe transition is a trip. It is just one step closer to the perfect vision you used to have. Makes me think about laser surgery in the near future. Next time you get your new RX. Go ask for a FREE trial pair. Keep using free sample lenses until you find the brand you feel is most comfortable over a long period. Then get them cheaply online.

As for the sunglasses, they are easily worth ~$125. Even in the funky color.

http://kaenon.com/product/15_jetty.html

Thinking of getting some in a couple weeks. So you don't recommend there prescription polarized sunglasses?

bsp
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Prescription polarized cost a lot of money, and if you lose them there it all goes. Not likely to lose contacts at all. That said, I have polarized prescription sunglasses and like them a lot. I'll probably do what Waterbound does this summer though IF I find some contacts I like. Losing a $100 pair of glasses sucks, but losing a $300+ pair sucks more.

If you have contacts you like, go for it, but otherwise prescription sunglasses work very, very well. Just buy one of those floating band things that slip on the end of your glasses if you do buy a pair. It's $10 well spent.

WaterBound
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Thinking of getting some in a couple weeks. So you don't recommend there prescription polarized sunglasses?

I suggest getting contact lenses if you have never had them. They could be just the thing to change your perspective on life. It might make you go all the way and get laser surgery.

Personally I was very shocked at how comfortable the “RIGHT” lenses were. I have a slight astigmatism, abnormal curvature. There are new lubricated lenses that feel very good. The key is to constantly hydrate them throughout the day.

With traditional RX glasses, you lose a lot more vision than you think. All around the edges of your eyeglass frame is a whole realm of focus that is missing from your glasses. Your brain has just gotten used to the smaller focused field of view, as well as the slightly darker vision.

Contacts really enhanced my vision. Once my brain adjusted to the new focused field of view. I started to notice more of my peripheral field of view had increased as well as the BRIGHTNESS.

Contacts help to keep debris off of your eye, if flushed properly prior to insertion. They are also relatively inexpensive $5-20 a pair/month depending on the type and brand. Solution will add to the cost e.g.~$10-15/month. The lubrication drops are something everyone should use anyhow e.g.~$5-10/month.

As we get older we blink less and lubricate our eyes less. The debris we encounter daily starts to get stuck and cloud our vision over time. Look at an older person’s eyes, and you can see what I mean.

RX sunglasses have some advantages depending on the environment. In hot and humid weather some people get sweat and sun tan lotion drip in to their eyes. In the field fishing like we do, it is not convenient to clean your contacts. You might also increase your chances of losing them if you rub your eyes more often in the adverse conditions. Otherwise, contacts stay on pretty well.

However some people like how convenient disposable lenses can be if lost in the field. You can just carry an extra pair, or bring a few more pairs on a long and remote trip. For short-term losses, it is much cheaper to get another pair of disposable lenses than buying a whole new pair of glasses. You can order your lenses online 24/7, without worrying about fitment issues. Or just get them at any local optometrist faster than waiting for a new pair of eyeglasses to be made.

The increased field of view enhanced my pool game. It also allowed me to view things better in tight spots where turning is awkward, such as an engine bay. Nature’s scenery has now been panoramically enlarged. Driving around I enjoy a lot more peripheral scenery and sight fishing is better. Think about it. You are moving your correction back onto your eyeball instead of the distance to your eyeglasses.

The best reason to try contact lenses is that the first sample pair is FREE. They last a month, but you may have to buy solution and lubrication teardrops. Which is a small price to pay to try out something that will improve your vision. My optometrist just gave the solution and lubrication teardrops to me for free with a good three-week supply.

So yeah I would say get the contact lenses with the kaenon polarized sunglasses, unless you have problems in adverse weather conditions as mentioned earlier. Otherwise get the RX sunglasses made. Then you can take off your RX sunglasses and splash some cool filtered water onto your face. Don't use the water you are fishing in to splash into your eyes. You may get a parasite that way.

If it came down to a decision between the two, the kaenon sunglasses or the contact lenses. I would say hands down get the contact lenses. Kaenon are only a little bit better than their sunglasses competition. Contact lenses are a pretty significant improvement compared to traditional RX eyeglasses.

bsp
01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Contacts help to keep debris off of your eye, if flushed properly prior to insertion. They are also relatively inexpensive $5-20 a pair/month depending on the type and brand. Solution will add to the cost e.g.~$10-15/month. The lubrication drops are something everyone should use anyhow e.g.~$5-10/month.

Have you tried just buying a few pairs of contacts to use when doing outdoors? I've got a buddy that's a serious paintballer, and he just wears contacts when he's playing. The rest of the time he wears glasses.

Last thing, how do the astigmatism lenses work out? I've only got it in one eye, but my friends that have it say contacts don't really fit well if you have it. I've been on the edge about going with contacts for a while since they get expensive (by your estimate, $240-$540 a year), and I've never felt hindered in any way with my glasses.

Thanks man.

WaterBound
01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Have you tried just buying a few pairs of contacts to use when doing outdoors? I've got a buddy that's a serious paintballer, and he just wears contacts when he's playing. The rest of the time he wears glasses.

Last thing, how do the astigmatism lenses work out? I've only got it in one eye, but my friends that have it say contacts don't really fit well if you have it. I've been on the edge about going with contacts for a while since they get expensive (by your estimate, $240-$540 a year), and I've never felt hindered in any way with my glasses.

Thanks man.

All right for what I am paying for a year is ~ $300. That is $10/month for the lubricated lenses. $10/month for solution. $5/month for lubrication tears. Really you should pay for the $5/month lubricating teardrops anyway for proper eye health. So in actuality you are paying $240/year. I purchase things in bulk e.g. lenses in no less than 6 pack/6 months supply.

However I personally do not wear my contacts 12 months out of the year. I would say about 10 months of the year usually ~ $200. That is the beauty of it. If money is tight you didn’t have to invest larger sums to get permanent contact lenses. Which are worse for your eyes.

Advantages other than previously stated are the fact that you have constantly clearer vision. No matter how well you take care of your eyeglasses you will get micro scratches daily. New lenses inserted every month means your vision is consistent.

Even if you only wear your contact lenses part time your vision will have increased BRIGHTNESS. That will not go away once your brain has become accustomed to the new field of view. You can transition between the two without any loss of the enhanced brightness.

Also the lenses last for at least a month. They can actually last longer depending on how well you take care of them. However if you wear them too much longer you will increase the risk of damage from extra debris on the older lens. As well as, the increased risk of eye infections.

As for the astigmatism, 80% of people who need corrective vision are afflicted with this problem. You will need to get a checkup to see if you can get them at all. You might not qualify or could only use hard lenses. Of which case I have no experience. My lubricated lenses feel PERFECT with my astigmatism.

At first, I had some discriminatory beliefs about contact lenses. First, they were uncomfortable. Second, they were easily lost and fall out relatively easily. Third, those lenses were bad for your eyes and did not allow them to breathe properly. Fourth, I did not like the idea of poking my eye. I did not like that DAMN EVIL acupuncturist poking my eye as a kid. I would never get over my eye touching phobia. Fifth, you have increased eye infections from debris and parasites on your eyeball. Finally, the lenses float on your eyeballs and don’t always sit right. This requires you to touch your eyeball to center it constantly.

Well, all of the above mentioned stereotypes were completely wrong in regards to modern disposable lubricated lenses. The new disposable lenses are much thinner and feel better.

If you are in doubt, just do what I did. When you are going to get a new RX ask your optometrist to get the FREE sample lenses, sample cleansers and lubricating teardrops. You can then still order another pair of glasses for when you are not wearing your lenses and emergencies. Keep trying new pairs until you find the right ones that FEEL comfortable. You should be able to try every brand at least once until you find the ones that you like the best. Keep in mind the drier the environment the more lubricating teardrops you will need to feel comfortable. Give yourself enough time to decide on a brand that suits you.

In the end you should try it out because when was the last time you got to try out a new pair of RX eyeglasses for free?

lngbchfnhnter
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow! All great information... It definitely makes me want to try out contact lenses for the first time. Ive only started wearing Rx glasses about two years ago,and quickly got used to them. But it is always an inconvenience in switching from RX glasses and RX sunglasses. Especially anticipating to get even more serious about the sport this season.. That's why inquiring about polarized Rx sunglasses were of interest to me.. But this is perfect because with my benefits coming up in about a month or so,i can ask my optometrist about the disposable contacts. Don't no if they'll be covered with kaiser,hopefully they will. No matter what I'm not worried about the expense on necessities like this... Definitely worth trying..
Thanks again for the info,ill pm you if i have any further questions.

Noah

DarkShadow
01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Water bound,

Have you checked out this URL?

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/hdo/proven

It has testing done with the SR-91 lens versus the Plutonite lenses.

hookset
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I have worn glasses for almost 20 years and was always bothered by my glasses getting in the way of being active. I broke many pairs of glasses growing up and finally made the move to contacts. Best move I ever made. If you have astigmatism talk to your doctor. If it is slight they may try to give you regular spherical contacts. If they work, these are cheaper, and there are more options. For me this was a terrible option. It was like looking through a frosted bathroom window. To correct the astigmatism you will need a toric lens (2 different prescriptions in one eye, verticle and horizontal). Night and day difference for me. I wear frequent replacement lenses(once a month). Not quite disposables, but allows me to carry a spare when camping. My eyes are light sensitive anyway so I wear sunglasses most of the time I am outside. If you have a strong prescription your selection of prescription sunglass frames can be limited and most wrap around styles won't work. With contacts, your choice of sunglasses are limitless and it is much cheaper to change lens tints. As was mentioned earlier, once you get use to contacts versus glasses you can tell the difference of the focal point being moved to your eye as compared to an inch or so in front with the glasses. For glasses wearers, I recommend that you give contacts a try if you have the option.

Hookset

WaterBound
01-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Water bound,

Have you checked out this URL?

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/hdo/proven

It has testing done with the SR-91 lens versus the Plutonite lenses.

No I did not get to compare those specific lenses, but I must say that the lack of focus seems to be very suspicious. First the SR91 lenses I use have no diffused focus such as that on the Oakley comparison. That range would have to be at an extreme distance to create that kind of distortion. However the image is clearly less than 50 feet. So without comparing the HDO lenses I could not say, but I would like to know the distances of the test focal point. There are also issues of placement of focal point on each lens due to curvature differences. So different shaped lenses will have different characteristics depending on which point your eyes actually views through the lenses. In any case Oakley's test image through the SR91 lenses CANNOT be confirmed by my own observations to at least 100 feet. P.S. My $10 walmart polarized sunglasses also were not as out of focus as the test image on the Oakley test comparison.