PDA

View Full Version : Ran into ? at LBC..

lngbchfnhnter
01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Had a day free yesterday. So i decided to surf fish for a couple hours and then try structure fishing for sand bass on a 1/2 day at long beach marina.

On the sand at 7:00 and start working the surf for about 35 min with some lcs when i see this man coming up to me,and ask if i caught anything? So i reel up my gear and chat with him for a while, he sounded very knowledgeable on surf fishing. So after talking for a while he informed me about his surf tournaments and finally ask my name and gave me his, RONNIE KOVACH.. Name sounded familiar but still couldn't pin it on..finally before he walked away he said try to listen to my fishing show on am radio!
Took me till then to put 2 and 2 together along with recognizing his face on starter kit surf fishing dvds at sport chalet..
He was very cool and informative. Also very inviting to his get togethers....It was a pleasure meeting you,Ronnie!
BTW,must be my lucky month on meeting great fisherman ,in the passed WEEK! i've met and ran into MIKE GARDNER,DAN HERNANDEZ and now RONNIE KOVACH...COOL!!!!
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/Inoah11Photos/92C2.jpg

So talking with Ronnie for about 35 min or so, i only had 40 min to fish before i had to get to the landing...needless to say i got the quick skunk!

Arrived to the landing at 10 and we head out with 9 people. We used frozen squid. Get to the spot with structure and drop our lines. My first mistake was to do things that i thought might work like bucktails with gulp,bucktails with live squid,weedless leadheads with squid or gulp(for hang ups on structure). None of that worked for me. I should've used what a couple guys caught fish with. Which was straight 2 ounce lead heads with a nicely pinned on squid(pinned on about 4 to 5 times).
My second mistake was not using enough weight on the leadhead and not letting it sit on the bottom..I was letting it hit the bottom and giving it 2 or 3 cranks above the bottom. Key was leaving it on the bottom,feeling the line with your hand and once in a while lifting a little and picking the slack once you feel the strike, pull up fast.
So unfortunately for me by the time i figured all this s*** out the trip was over...and i had my self a 35 dollor sculpin LOL!!!!!
Anyways,i learned alot on structure fishing today. I also peeped at jj's structure fishing on the saltwater report section later that night. I finally know what the hell he was talking about.lol...(thanks for the great info btw)..
The crew was ok, captains friends were the ones who caught the nicer ones, obviously new what worked.
All in all learned alot on this type of fishing and also found out santa monica bay has the best structure on SB fishing. Prob hit up redondo sportfishing or marina del rey for my next attempt.. One things for sure ill be ready.......
Hope this helps new structure fishing dudes like me,and thanks for reading..

ghetto dad
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Had a day free yesterday. So i decided to surf fish for a couple hours and then try structure fishing for sand bass on a 1/2 day at long beach marina.

On the sand at 7:00 and start working the surf for about 35 min with some lcs when i see this man coming up to me,and ask if i caught anything? So i reel up my gear and chat with him for a while, he sounded very knowledgeable on surf fishing. So after talking for a while he informed me about his surf tournaments and finally ask my name and gave me his, RONNIE KOVACH.. Name sounded familiar but still couldn't pin it on..finally before he walked away he said try to listen to my fishing show on am radio!
Took me till then to put 2 and 2 together along with recognizing his face on starter kit surf fishing dvds at sport chalet..
He was very cool and informative. Also very inviting to his get togethers....It was a pleasure meeting you,Ronnie!
BTW,must be my lucky month on meeting great fisherman ,in the passed WEEK! i've met and ran into MIKE GARDNER,DAN HERNANDEZ and now RONNIE KOVACH...COOL!!!!
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/Inoah11Photos/92C2.jpg

So talking with Ronnie for about 35 min or so, i only had 40 min to fish before i had to get to the landing...needless to say i got the quick skunk!

Arrived to the landing at 10 and we head out with 9 people. We used frozen squid. Get to the spot with structure and drop our lines. My first mistake was to do things that i thought might work like bucktails with gulp,bucktails with live squid,weedless leadheads with squid or gulp(for hang ups on structure). None of that worked for me. I should've used what a couple guys caught fish with. Which was straight 2 ounce lead heads with a nicely pinned on squid(pinned on about 4 to 5 times).
My second mistake was not using enough weight on the leadhead and not letting it sit on the bottom..I was letting it hit the bottom and giving it 2 or 3 cranks above the bottom. Key was leaving it on the bottom,feeling the line with your hand and once in a while lifting a little and picking the slack once you feel the strike, pull up fast.
So unfortunately for me by the time i figured all this s*** out the trip was over...and i had my self a 35 dollor sculpin LOL!!!!!
Anyways,i learned alot on structure fishing today. I also peeped at jj's structure fishing on the saltwater report section later that night. I finally know what the hell he was talking about.lol...(thanks for the great info btw)..
The crew was ok, captains friends were the ones who caught the nicer ones, obviously new what worked.
All in all learned alot on this type of fishing and also found out santa monica bay has the best structure on SB fishing. Prob hit up redondo sportfishing or marina del rey for my next attempt.. One things for sure ill be ready.......
Hope this helps new structure fishing dudes like me,and thanks for reading..

yeah man....fish 25 lb test minimum....and leadheads need to be RIGHT in the structure...ull get it down man....bring LOTS of leadheads

nice report....

GD

GeordyBass
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
LOL I woulda kicked his arse.... :Evil:

Ronnie Kovach sux! But that's Awesome you met Dan and Mike! They are some cool cats!

Fire Ball
01-12-2010, 06:23 PM
That is awesome that you got to meet some famous surf fisherman!

murrieta angler
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
It's funny meeting people you see on television doing what, YOU, love doing.
Now that football season is over, I tend to see alot more guys out there on the golf course.
There is nothing wrong with a $35 sculpin. Heck, I've fished for more money and caught nothing...:Neutral: Goes with the territory.
Thanks for the report and picture.

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Cool report too bad about the trip...it was a $35 learning experience. Ive done that too where you think "it should work" but it doesnt.
i like to fish by the beverly hills beach club.....oooyeah:EyePop::EyePop:

Rakie
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I think I used to listen to that show before they put it on at like, 7am instead of 5am (or was it 6?) either way ~ Used to listen to it every day before we hit the water in my uncles boat, once they made the show an hour or two later, we were already out on the water and fishing the HB Flats before it was on.

Cool report too bad about the trip...it was a $35 learning experience. Ive done that too where you think "it should work" but it doesnt.
i like to fish by the beverly hills beach club.....oooyeah:EyePop::EyePop:

Humbling IMO. I was pissed on an overnight trip to Catalina for WSB, the bite was dry on WSB, we switched to sand bass and I bunch of scrubby bass and a 6lbs Barred Sand Bass, 2nd biggest fish on the boat (lost to a legal hali, not sure how big it was, more than 6lbs is all I know). Almost got the darn jackpot. haha.

Good times.

Tight lines.

sansou
01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Cool report...interesting to run in to fishing celebrities.

I can't help but like Ronnie Kovach cause I got a bunch of new Avets at 50% off from him. LOL!

GeordyBass
01-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Cool report...interesting to run in to fishing celebrities.

I can't help but like Ronnie Kovach cause I got a bunch of new Avets at 50% off from him. LOL!
LOL Lucky!

btw whats up with your location? lmao,,,

Iron Only
01-14-2010, 01:31 AM
I grew up fishing like that and still love it today. Use a 1and a half or 2 ounce leadhead no skirts or any of that nonsense. Leave it on the bottom when you get bit you better pull. The perfect leadhead squid rod is a calstar 900 m with a 332 or 338 newell or something of that size, or an 850L with a 332 or a little smaller reel. I usually fish 30lb. you can really pull them out that way. Try Santa Monica Bay on Saturday and Friday nights they stricly fish bass leadhead and squid and my buddy runs the boat and is really sharp. Its marina del rey landing on the new del mar they leave at 6}30 I think.

Ricky-Ray
01-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Fished with Ronnie many times on his Owner Hooks fishing school's trips. Met lot's of great people in the industry and also got to meet alot of really nice people that I still fish with to this day.

lngbchfnhnter
01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS GUYS!

yeah man....fish 25 lb test minimum....and leadheads need to be RIGHT in the structure...ull get it down man....bring LOTS of leadheads

nice report....

GD
Thanks for the encouragement GD. I think i did a little better this last time..

I grew up fishing like that and still love it today. Use a 1and a half or 2 ounce leadhead no skirts or any of that nonsense. Leave it on the bottom when you get bit you better pull. The perfect leadhead squid rod is a calstar 900 m with a 332 or 338 newell or something of that size, or an 850L with a 332 or a little smaller reel. I usually fish 30lb. you can really pull them out that way. Try Santa Monica Bay on Saturday and Friday nights they stricly fish bass leadhead and squid and my buddy runs the boat and is really sharp. Its marina del rey landing on the new del mar they leave at 6}30 I think.

Good meeting you Danny! That boat is sure sharp alright..nice to get on a newer boat like that..See you next time.. Thanks!

ghetto fisherman
01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I really dount like ronnie.one time he called me a dead beat dad in frount of my boys i was hot:Twisted: this was before i won the surf slam in hunnington baech but after that i was glad too take his cash!!!!!! and my son came in 2 so I guess im doing something rite..:Big Grin:

lngbchfnhnter
01-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I really don't like Ronnie.one time he called me a dead beat dad in front of my boys i was hot:Twisted: this was before i won the surf slam in Huntington beach but after that i was glad too take his cash!!!!!! and my son came in 2 so I guess I'm doing something right..:Big Grin:Sorry to hear that! GF. Sounds like an uncalled for remark on his part..
But good job on the tournament..
Thanks