PDA

View Full Version : Took the Cobra for Bugs...got Crabs

Mojave River Angler
01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
My brother and I wanted to take a shot at hoopnetting so we went out from 5-11pm on the Cobra from Channel Island Sportfishing. Not really a lot to report. My brother scored 5 of the regular crabs and a Spider crab. I got 4 of the regulars. No showing of lobster at all. We'll try elswhere for lobster in the future.

We also grabed a net while at BPS to throw off the kayak since we were going to fish around the breakwall during the midday from the kayak. I had some mak to use for bait that I had caught on a rockfish trip. We did catch a few small crab and it was fun just to give it a try on our own.

Kayaking in the ocean is a real experience all it's own. When we got out beyond the end of the breakwall the swell was about 8-10 but long period so we only had to deal with the little choppies on the top of those. When the wind came up we started to get a little water coming in over the bow. The kayak just cuts too nicely through and makes for a wetter ride. Might as well wear a wetsuit in similar conditons next time. However, I don't think I'll choose to take the kayak out in water like that again. Just a little more wind and we might have had more water inside than a sponge can billage out. As we headed in and were moving in with the waves it was kind of cool to get up some speed and almost "ride" the swell in the kayak.

Looking forward to better weather and new spots to kayak. Have much to learn.

You have all seen pictures of little crab.

MRA

Redkorn
01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
My brother and I wanted to take a shot at hoopnetting so we went out from 5-11pm on the Cobra from Channel Island Sportfishing. Not really a lot to report. My brother scored 5 of the regular crabs and a Spider crab. I got 4 of the regulars. No showing of lobster at all. We'll try elswhere for lobster in the future.

We also grabed a net while at BPS to throw off the kayak since we were going to fish around the breakwall during the midday from the kayak. I had some mak to use for bait that I had caught on a rockfish trip. We did catch a few small crab and it was fun just to give it a try on our own.

Kayaking in the ocean is a real experience all it's own. When we got out beyond the end of the breakwall the swell was about 8-10 but long period so we only had to deal with the little choppies on the top of those. When the wind came up we started to get a little water coming in over the bow. The kayak just cuts too nicely through and makes for a wetter ride. Might as well wear a wetsuit in similar conditons next time. However, I don't think I'll choose to take the kayak out in water like that again. Just a little more wind and we might have had more water inside than a sponge can billage out. As we headed in and were moving in with the waves it was kind of cool to get up some speed and almost "ride" the swell in the kayak.

Looking forward to better weather and new spots to kayak. Have much to learn.

You have all seen pictures of little crab.

MRA

sorry your trip didnt go that awsome.....

let us know how the kayaking go's

JapanRon
01-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi Mojave River Angler,

Yes, I've heared about those trips ... interesting. Please tell us the details on how the boat 'operates'..... deckwise ..... gear, patrons arrangement, etc. I'm assuming these are open-party trips.

Thanks,

JapanRon

yakfu
01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I was curious about those trips as well... I spend a lot of my time on the yak now, may have to meet up with you one day...