PDA

View Full Version : The Heart~ache of Losing a Big Fish

Fishbones
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
What do you do when you lose a big fish..? How does it affect you..?
Does it matter of make a difference if you see the fish or not?
Most of the time it really gets me just right there where it hurts and i usually get
bummed for a minute or ten..lol man sometimes i even get down with a slight case of heartache
especially when i never see the fish just felt his power and then bink! hes off...
ouch... kinda makes you think and question your tactics and what you could have
done different or can do nextime..........Goodluck.......FisHbOnEs

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
lmao!! dang man....straighten up soldier..its just a fish!!!

when i was younger, sometimes it would bother me...but now, seriosly, it dont really bother me.....they have to win sometimes, or it would be boring....:Smile:

GD

Bradakas
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Recurring dreams :Shocked:

jk, I usually make a mental note and chalk it up to experience. Last trout I lost spit my size 14 owner mosquito because I didn't leave enough of the hook exposed; when threaded on to the power worm

vanillagurilla
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
ive learned to set my drag and dont mess with it to much. if you need more drag just palm the spool. that way your hooksets are golden. i just lost a toad fish at buena vista last week, pissed me off a lil bit but i felt my 2lb tst. rubbing on grass or something so it wasnt my fault lol. i just get pissed for a few minutes and get back at it. lifes to short to be bummed all day because of a fish. all though i did loose a giant hali one time and just went home after that but this fish was pushing 40".

Fire Ball
01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I get really mad and continue to work the same spot until I hook him again! I actually hooked a bass and lost it after a few seconds and then cast out to the exactly same place almost and then 10 minutes later I got bit! Then I lost it again, but I got to see it jump 3 feet out of the water that time!!! I was so mad! It was a nice 4 lber too!

I also get mad when the people that I am fishing with lose their fish too. Robo Bass hooked a HUGE carp or something on his ultralight and then it broke his line when it kept making long runs. I wanted to see him land it! It was the craziest fight I have ever seen.

DarkShadow
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
"It is better to have hooked, and lost...than to never have hooked at all."

-- Confusious

Ricky-Ray
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I get really bummed and depressed, sometimes to the point where I'll put my rod away and just sulk the rest of the day in my bunk till we get home. I've even had nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat reliving that nightmare over and over again...it's terrible :Embarrassed:

YEAH RIGHT!!!! :Envious:

Score board is not Fish +1, Angler 0. Retie and rebait and get back out there and redeem yourself. :ROFL:

FISHNCHIPS
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Doesn't bother me much and I've probably lost a thousand but there is that one that still could bring a tear to my eye when I think of it.
There I was at the Southwest Hole out of Trinidad,north of Eureka,fishing a big rock pile in 90 feet of water. I get a 10 inch black on on a shrimp fly and decide to drop back down to see if he will attract others to the other 2 hooks.
Jigging it on the bottom,I decide it's about time to bring it up and take the fish off when it seems the fish must have found a hole to get into because I can't move the line up at all. I've got 80 lb dacron on so I'm giving a lot of pressure to either pull it free or break it off. When I decide it's time to just break or cut it I start getting a little line up but it just feels like a 100 lb rock.
When I think I'm lifting a rock I get two heavy tugs that let me know I'm in business. I work the thing up about 45 feet and it lets go.
It was tough in that moment knowing I probably lost the Ling of a lifetime and my dream. I had to take a deep breath and gather myself. When I pulled up the "bait",it was ripped with tooth marks from when it pulled out.
It was the first time I felt a pull like that and it broke my heart but hey that fish is still down there eating and spawning and if I ever catch it again it will be a photo and quick release because they don't make em like that anymore in that area.

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
ive learned to set my drag and dont mess with it to much. if you need more drag just palm the spool. that way your hooksets are golden. i just lost a toad fish at buena vista last week, pissed me off a lil bit but i felt my 2lb tst. rubbing on grass or something so it wasnt my fault lol. i just get pissed for a few minutes and get back at it. lifes to short to be bummed all day because of a fish. all though i did loose a giant hali one time and just went home after that but this fish was pushing 40".

... i wish it was that way..it was completely opposite...drag was perfect i palmed it and couldnt stop it...it was 6 one second zings from the drag and then it was gone.....still sad about that one...hahahaha kinda funny that the only thing that can punk me in life was a fish....LMAO

Granny Fish
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Only bothers me if there was money on the line. Otherwise Dark Shadow's comment is my attitude.

blackberg
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
this last time I was shocked, since my 60lb spectra broke with pretty much as I started the retrieve, taking almost 300ft with it. Curios at what it was since I am 100% sure it was not the target species :Shocked:, and totally unexpected.

Then kinda pissed for a bit on loosing the tackle, but oh well thats what money is for
-bb

sansou
01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
People that have fished with me know that I usually laugh off any fish I farm or any other of my fishing shortcomings (like breaking off an expensive lure etc...) Basically, if you fish enough and long enough, this kinda stuff happens....and I don't make a living doing this, so I don't complain.

I posted this summer in the out-of state section about a trip to Puerto Vallarta where we hooked up on something unique, but just couldn't raise it.

At the dock that evening we talked to the locals about it, and we got various possible explanations, that I dare not even post here as they strain credibility. In the end, the fish won. Still bummed about this, cause all I ever wanted to know is what I had at the end of my line!! My buddy who is far more experienced than me at true "big game" was stumped and pi$$ed as well.

blackberg
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
People that have fished with me know that I usually laugh off any fish I farm or any other of my fishing shortcomings (like breaking off an expensive lure etc...) Basically, if you fish enough and long enough, this kinda stuff happens....and I don't make a living doing this, so I don't complain.

I posted this summer in the out-of state section about a trip to Puerto Vallarta where we hooked up on something unique, but just couldn't raise it.

At the dock that evening we talked to the locals about it, and we got various possible explanations, that I dare not even post here as they strain credibility. In the end, the fish won. Still bummed about this, cause all I ever wanted to know is what I had at the end of my line!! My buddy who is far more experienced than me at true "big game" was stumped and pi$$ed as well.

thats how I felt as well, didnt even tell anyone on the boat about it since I know they might think it was just stuck or something, but my Dad was there when he saw the initial rod bend.

-bb

bruce watson
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
What is worse than losing a fish is when you are on the net for someone else and a big one pops off. Two weeks ago, at Irvine, olfishergal had about a 15lb trout. I made two trys to fit it in my net. It just didn't fit, and I have a large boat net. It jumped off with a hook bent straight on a CD9. She has had the same problem with her on the net in the past, so we both understand.

olfishergal
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
What is worse than losing a fish is when you are on the net for someone else and a big one pops off. Two weeks ago, at Irvine, olfishergal had about a 15lb trout. I made two trys to fit it in my net. It just didn't fit, and I have a large boat net. It jumped off with a hook bent straight on a CD9. She has had the same problem with her on the net in the past, so we both understand.

yup, we're even, i just gave a lil ol holler and it was over with, back to fishin, thats the game....and yes, no money on the line lol.........lmao...OFG

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM

damn....

I usually replace my CD5 and CD9 stock hooks with Owner Stinger Hooks...

GD

sansou
01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
damn....

I usually replace my CD5 and CD9 stock hooks with Owner Stinger Hooks...

GD

Baller....