PDA

View Full Version : sand dab fishing

youngfish
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I have kind of developed the bug for a new kind of fishing, and decided id like to go sand dab fishing. i have checked out the article about it on here, but it didnt give me all the info i need. How exactly do i rig for these? can i just use a series of dropper loops? what size hooks do i need? are beads really needed? what size main line?

thanks for your help.

TShaffer
01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
When you're sand dab fishing you can use as many hooks as you want and a series of dropper loops is fine. Beads are not really needed since you can catch sand dabs with very little effort on your part-they'll bite pretty much anything. Depending on your reel size or depth of water, anything from 20lb-40lb line will definately be enough for sand dab fishing. Hook size doesn't really matter either but 1/0 live bait or even circle hooks will be fine. Their mouths are actually surprisingly big-I've had one eat my sardine before.

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
thanks for your reply. ill be sure to post a report after i go

sansou
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Which landing runs the sand dab trips?

I'd like to try this L.A. style fishing one of these days before I die of old age.

TShaffer
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Which landing runs the sand dab trips?

I'd like to try this L.A. style fishing one of these days before I die of old age.

The Sea Angler -aka Sand Dab express outta 22nd street marina in San Pedro.

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
22nd St Landing Sansou....

GD

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
has anyone been on the sea angler? hows the crew? decent crowd during the week?

TShaffer
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
has anyone been on the sea angler? hows the crew? decent crowd during the week?

I've never been on it but if you look at the counts....they catch PLENTY of dabs.

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Great captain...great crew....but dont expect them to take every sand dab you catch off...lol....catching 10 per person per drop, its hard to keep up....

Have fun

GD

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
id say PLENTY is and under statement. 2350 dabs? thats rediculous! i cant wait to get out there and fill my freezer. i recenly ran out of crappie and catfish, and trout isnt filling my craving for fish, so lets see how these dabs do.

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Great captain...great crew....but dont expect them to take every sand dab you catch off...lol....catching 10 per person per drop, its hard to keep up....

Have fun

GD

LOL

i dont expect them to do that one bit, but im sure theres always that Mr. hollywood out there that expects there hooks to be baited for them.
thanks for all the replys.

TShaffer
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
id say PLENTY is and under statement. 2350 dabs? thats rediculous! i cant wait to get out there and fill my freezer. i recenly ran out of crappie and catfish, and trout isnt filling my craving for fish, so lets see how these dabs do.

They're tasty but kinda a pain to deal with in terms of cleaning/cooking them.

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM

how so? and can i have them cleaned on the boat?

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM

cleaning them is VERY easy....actually, they are VERY inexpensive to get them cleaned on the boat....cut the head of at an angle..then gut..very easy

cooking is very easy also....deep fry, grill, etc.....WHOLE...the meat just peels right off the carcus....

GD

TShaffer
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
cleaning them is VERY easy....actually, they are VERY inexpensive to get them cleaned on the boat....cut the head of at an angle..then gut..very easy

cooking is very easy also....deep fry, grill, etc.....WHOLE...the meat just peels right off the carcus....

GD

I guess you're right. That's how I do it when I bring them home but when you have a nice clean rockfish fillet in front of you, you don't wanna play with the sand dab carcass anymore lol. I'm just picky (mostly lazy).

And yes they'll clean them on the boat for you.

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
sounds more the reasonable to me LOL

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 08:20 PM
have fun...we want a report with EACH of your 300 sand dab too...lmao

GD

youngfish
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
have fun...we want a report with EACH of your 300 sand dab too...lmao

GD

LOL i dont think i even want to catch 300. platic bags for freezing that many would be extreme! but i will definately post a report and let you guys know how i do.

Anyone that would be interested in going sand dab fishing, let me know and maybe we can plan to go the same day, since im going solo.

Hometown
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Have fun

GD

GD i agree 100 percent worked with the captain long ago RUNS A GOOD OPERATION:!!!:

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
LOL i dont think i even want to catch 300. platic bags for freezing that many would be extreme! but i will definately post a report and let you guys know how i do.

Anyone that would be interested in going sand dab fishing, let me know and maybe we can plan to go the same day, since im going solo.

post in the rendevous section when youre ready to go brother....im sure youll get some interest...

good luck

GD

Ifishtoolittle
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Fileting a Dab is a lot like fileting a halibut, so if you know how to filet hali's then you're fine.

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Fileting a Dab is a lot like fileting a halibut, so if you know how to filet hali's then you're fine.

yeah....try filetting 200 of them..lol....

that would be way too much effort....just cook em whole...the meat peels right off the bones....

GD

Bradakas
01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
I recall making a 75 hook ganion and fishing for dabs with a 1lb rockcod weight.

The set up consisted of a seeker ulua 93h & newell 338 w/40lb.

The ganion was draped over the entire starboard side of the 65 foot boat.

I'd stand on the stern corner and HEAVE the 1lb weight while another person was on the bow with the reel in free spool. :LOL

10 min later (with alot of cranking)= viola 75 dabs.

ghetto dad
01-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I recall making a 75 hook ganion and fishing for dabs with a 1lb rockcod weight.

The set up consisted of a seeker ulua 93h & newell 338 w/40lb.

The ganion was draped over the entire starboard side of the 65 foot boat.

I'd stand on the stern corner and HEAVE the 1lb weight while another person was on the bow with the reel in free spool. :LOL

10 min later (with alot of cranking)= viola 75 dabs.

:ROFL:poacher..lmao....

yeah..I remember those days too man

GD

blackberg
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I actually went this past saturday to get the break in the license for the year. Didnt post a report since it was not "real" fishing. Since it was a virtually a "no skunk" guarantee. But it was tiring, we where fishing at 300ft.

As for tackle, they sell a 10 ganion,$8.95, they say 12 hooks is the max allowed.

you need a 2lb sinker, dropper loops will work, I dont think beads are necessary if you make your own ganion. 2lb + 300ft + 8 fish = tiring:Tired:

I knew weekends where going to be not as good, but it wasnt too bad. Some people got there last minute looking to get on anyboat going out and that was the only one going out that day and they kept tangling lines with people, couldnt follow directions. But other than them, with 30 people on the boat it was not too bad.

We caught 155 with my dad. I caught a huge sculpin on the first retrieve but it had to go back. Was fun to see who was catching more or the bigger ones. Someone actually caught a 5-6 foot shark, apparently it hooked on to one of the sanddabs that he was hooked -incidental live bait. Overall it was good trip, good way to get rid of the skunk for the year :ROFL: Thats the main reason we went

Would prob go at least once more before they stop running in April.

I can post a pic of the ganion if you want

-bb

Bradakas
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I actually went this past saturday to get the break in the license for the year. Didnt post a report since it was not "real" fishing. Since it was a virtually a "no skunk" guarantee. But it was tiring, we where fishing at 300ft.

As for tackle, they sell a 10 ganion,$8.95, they say 12 hooks is the max allowed.

you need a 2lb sinker, dropper loops will work, I dont think beads are necessary if you make your own ganion. 2lb + 300ft + 8 fish = tiring:Tired:

I knew weekends where going to be not as good, but it wasnt too bad. Some people got there last minute looking to get on anyboat going out and that was the only one going out that day and they kept tangling lines with people, couldnt follow directions. But other than them, with 30 people on the boat it was not too bad.

We caught 155 with my dad. I caught a huge sculpin on the first retrieve but it had to go back. Was fun to see who was catching more or the bigger ones. Someone actually caught a 5-6 foot shark, apparently it hooked on to one of the sanddabs that he was hooked -incidental live bait. Overall it was good trip, good way to get rid of the skunk for the year :ROFL: Thats the main reason we went

Would prob go at least once more before they stop running in April.

I can post a pic of the ganion if you want

-bb

10 hook ganion for $9? Do they bait the hooks and take the fish off too at that price... :ROFL:

fisherman from long beach
01-12-2010, 07:29 AM
ive eaten sand dabs and they are very good eatin,but fishing for them is very not my style.

DockRat
01-12-2010, 07:30 AM
10 hook ganion for $9? Do they bait the hooks and take the fish off too at that price... :ROFL:

Picked up a bunch of Sabiki rigs with #2 hooks at a sale for $1 each.
They work good. Strip of squid on each hook. I use five hooks and a 4 oz torpedo and drift when the wind is down.

I recall reading 2010 DFG is changing the rule from 12 hooks to as many as you want since these things are thick as fleas.

Found a spot off Pt Fermin. Line up the tops of the Evergreen cranes with the top of the Vincent Thomas Bridge then go out to 175' deep they are thick and no need to go way out to the rigs.

One San Pedro old school Italian told me that Sand Dabs are by far the best tasteing fish around.

Supposed to be the top bait for Lingcod too.
DR

Cangler
01-12-2010, 07:39 AM
DR

They are also good shark bait too

ghetto dad
01-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Picked up a bunch of Sabiki rigs with #2 hooks at a sale for $1 each.
They work good. Strip of squid on each hook. I use five hooks and a 4 oz torpedo and drift when the wind is down.

I recall reading 2010 DFG is changing the rule from 12 hooks to as many as you want since these things are thick as fleas.

Found a spot off Pt Fermin. Line up the tops of the Evergreen cranes with the top of the Vincent Thomas Bridge then go out to 175' deep they are thick and no need to go way out to the rigs.

One San Pedro old school Italian told me that Sand Dabs are by far the best tasteing fish around.

DR

Really? I guess fishing 10-12 hooks, and people averaging 200-300 fish a piece isnt enough..:Neutral:

They wont be "thick as fleas" for very long if that's the case....

GD

DockRat
01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
They wont be "thick as fleas" for very long if that's the case....

GD

These Dabs are out there by the billions in hundeds of square miles that never even get fished.

Don't pland on seeing them on the endangered list in your lifetime :ROFL:

Not many people fish Dabs, too boring, too much work, it takes about a dozen to get a pound of meat.

Keep in mind that spot off Pt Fermin is out near and down current from the Whites Point Sewer Outfall where the tons of DDT ended up thanks to 1950's Montrose Plant in Torrance. DDT settled on the ocean floor and is known as being contaminated area. Same with Horseshoe Kelp.

Read the health guidelines in the back of the DFG rule book.

Most people don't even know about the fish eating health guidelines for San Pedro.

Croaker, Sculpin, Calico Bass have limits on how much you should eat.

Something like No More than 6 oz's every two weeks.

Goverment 'SAFE' Limits :ROFL:

The 22nd St Boat usually fishes out by the oil platforms (cleaner sand).
DR

blackberg
01-12-2010, 08:53 AM
they where tasty,
we where out about 9 miles

-bb

Ricky-Ray
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
DR

Yes they make excellent lingcod bait. Sometimes if I accidentally catch a sand dab on a rockfish trip I'll rehook it and send it back do and "exchange" it for a lingcod. :Envious:

fish_sauce
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
if you're dabbing, make the investment and buy one of their ganions. last time i checked, they're $7, but they're well worth it. The ganions that they sell were easier to use than tying your own rig...and allows the bait presentation to somehow attract more fish. I've actually been out a couple of times already, and time after time, the ganions produced better results than my own hand-tied rigs.

In terms of gear, spectra or braided lines will produce the best sensitivity, but not needed. I have grown so used to using braided line for bottom fishing that i simply can't do without it anymore. A rod rest that clamps onto your rod (to allow you to lay the rod on the side of the boat while reeling) really helps after x amount of hours spent reeling in 3+ pounds of dead weight from 200 to 400 ft down.

a second thing to pay attention to is weight. If they recommend 2lbs, pleaseeeeee do yourself and your ship mates a favor and lease or buy a 2lb weight. Ive been on the boat when there are only 10 to 15 people fishing, and we stillllllll get into a tangled mess because some guy decides to tie two 4 ounce torpedo weights together and have them hellicopter all the way down, meanwhile crossing over everyone else's line, and sawing off their expensive weights.

Whether you go on the weekday or weekend, the crew is FANTASTIC! The captain will try his best to keep you on fish, even if it means staying out an hour or two later sometimes. Just follow their advice and there should be no problems. I honestly think this is one of the best-serving boats in L.A. (not refering to actual fish count) They will sometimes fish alongside with you when the bite is slow, but overall, they run a solid operation :Applause:

One last note is that....if you plan to go, you should DEFINITELY call in first to check for reservation status. The boat will not leave about 50% of the time during the weekdays because they won't have enough heads. I usually call the night before or two hours before leaving the house to verify if they are still scheduled to run.

hope all these info helps!

ghetto dad
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
These Dabs are out there by the billions in hundeds of square miles that never even get fished.

Don't pland on seeing them on the endangered list in your lifetime :ROFL:

Not many people fish Dabs, too boring, too much work, it takes about a dozen to get a pound of meat.

Keep in mind that spot off Pt Fermin is out near and down current from the Whites Point Sewer Outfall where the tons of DDT ended up thanks to 1950's Montrose Plant in Torrance. DDT settled on the ocean floor and is known as being contaminated area. Same with Horseshoe Kelp.

Read the health guidelines in the back of the DFG rule book.

Most people don't even know about the fish eating health guidelines for San Pedro.

Croaker, Sculpin, Calico Bass have limits on how much you should eat.

Something like No More than 6 oz's every two weeks.

Goverment 'SAFE' Limits :ROFL:

The 22nd St Boat usually fishes out by the oil platforms (cleaner sand).
DR

never said that in my lifetime....but with all fishing, I am concerned about the fishery (not just dabs) for my kids and their kids and their kids, etc...that was the point i was trying to make....

GD

fish_sauce
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I totally agree with Ghetto Dad on this one.

As far as we know, all natural resources are finite and limited...it is ultimately up to us to practice discetion and good judgement in areas where the law hasn't fully adapted to curb over-exploitation of these raw resources. The fishing may be good now, but it may not always remain this way. We all know this to be a fact.

Someone once called me a bleeding-heart-PETA-tree-hugger for mentioning that we should practice "moderation" in what we take, even if we are refering to less desirable fish like mackerel---because we can never fish them out, right? Wrong!

On a lighter note, sand dabs make fine table fare! Just chop the head off and gut them. They have very little scales...I don't even bother to remove the fins. Just throw them straight into the fryer (or batter them if you like) and deep fry til golden or crispy. I eat mine with plain white rice and a concoction of ginger, lemon, and fish sauce. :Wink:

sansou
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Good info fishsauce!

I just want to try the "sand dab experience" once....some for food and freeze a bunch for bait to fish Baja.

fish_sauce
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Good info fishsauce!

I just want to try the "sand dab experience" once....some for food and freeze a bunch for bait to fish Baja.

sansou,

from experience, they don't make very good bait, unless you're talking about chumming bait after being frozen. the flesh are very soft, so they don't keep very well in the freezer, and the meat is hardly oily like mackerel or anchovies/sardines, so i guess the scent isn't as strong either. I usually just catch enough to give to family to eat the same night and not bother with the whole storage thing.

I tried it just to try it. =) what you will realize that it becomes very redundant and monotonous. the fish doesn't weigh much, but they create an immense amount of drag when they're reeled up...and depending on whether you're using a ganion or you hand-tied your own dropper loops, they may spin on the way up. One pound of sand dabs may feel like ten pounds of dead weight! :D With all the big-game fish you've gone after sansou, i'll be surprised if you don't get bored of dabbing an hour into it. Haha!

Bradakas
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Try not to overthink sand dab fishing...its kinda like pb fishing for trout :Envious:

gavin310
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes they make excellent lingcod bait. Sometimes if I accidentally catch a sand dab on a rockfish trip I'll rehook it and send it back do and "exchange" it for a lingcod. :Envious:

Yeah on a rockfish/lingcod trip we caught some dabs accidentally and saved them for the lings. Good bait. The lings inhale them whole.

smokehound
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I catch tons of longfin sanddabs at newport pier.

Drift fishing nails these things, just like most other flatfish.

Ricky-Ray
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
WOW...who would have thought over 40 replies just on sand dabs. LOL

ghetto dad
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
WOW...who would have thought over 40 replies just on sand dabs. LOL

Sand Dab is the new "perch" :LOL:

GD