PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Mountain fishing for a broken leg person?

kwest10
01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
so I broke my ankle and have already paid for a ski trip to Mammoth. Rather than just pay and not go, I was wondering if there were any lakes within a close (15-20 mins) drive of the ski resort area where I could just back the car in and fish? I know some farms near Bishop are that way but It's a bit far to go back and forth for me. I can't be walking over boulders, snow, ice etc since I'm in a cast. Thanks all

SeaSick17
01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Season is closed. If you are going to fish you have to go down to Bishop, PVR

kwest10
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
well that stinks. What is the closest place that fits the above requirements?

Big Country
01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
PVR, but you're not walking in there, especially from the back.

Lunker1979
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Look for the Bishop Creek area. There are a couple places you can access right off of the highway. SOme big ones int here too. I've caught a bunch of 4 pounders and 1 5 pounder out of the creek. Get a map out and look at the places the creek comes close to the highway and you are set. Good luck!

retired96
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
The only place you would want to fish now is the Lower Owens River, there are sections where you can park your car at the rivers edge and fish with your cast on. PVR is out of the question as its a long walk with a cast on your foot, plus you would never make it climbing down the rocks.

From the Mammoth area your looking at about 40-45 miles one way.
Bishop creek is not open to fishing until the season opens.

Sierra_Smitty
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
You're pretty much out of luck man. The only place you can access by car is the Owens....and it's been pretty slow.

You might be better off hanging out at the main lodge and try to troll for chicks.....

Lunker1979
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
The only place you would want to fish now is the Lower Owens River, there are sections where you can park your car at the rivers edge and fish with your cast on. PVR is out of the question as its a long walk with a cast on your foot, plus you would never make it climbing down the rocks.

From the Mammoth area your looking at about 40-45 miles one way.
Bishop creek is not open to fishing until the season opens.

I'm an idiot. For some season I thought you could still fish the creek.....but now I think about it, I guess it wouldn't make any sense.

troutdog
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
You might be better off hanging out at the main lodge and try to troll for chicks.....

I would take Smitty's advice on this one, that cast could pay HUGE divdends with the ladies(assuming your 18 of course)...you will rarely here me say this let alone on a fishing forum, but in this casseforget about fishing there are bigger fish to fry! :LOL:

TD

kwest10
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
You're pretty much out of luck man. The only place you can access by car is the Owens....and it's been pretty slow.

not when you're going with the old lady!
And just found out I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled on friday so it's a no go for me.
Anyone want to take my spot? $290 for the weekend with a bunch of USC kids...COOOOO-ed!!! Grad students so not really "kids". "Younger Adults"

flytyingreloader
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Kwest, just total suckage all around. Sorry to read this, sir.

Will you be ambulatory for the Sierra trout opener, at least?

sansou
01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Before getting to the town of Bishop there is a lake that is car accessible and easy to walk around on. Name escapes me right now, but the 2 times I went to cast around for an hour or so, people were reporting pretty big stocker trout. Water seems to be perpetually stained there, and I think they let me people jetski there in the summer.

Hopefully someone can remember the name of that lake...

Daryl
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Is it Diaz?

flytyingreloader
01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Klondike Lake, just north of Bigpine and to the east of U.S. 395. It was shut off to jet-skis and power boats early in 2009 IIRC. No way to get a trailer through the serpentine barricade gate now in place.

Trout, eh? Just black bass and panfish for me so far, fly-fishing Muddlers or deer-hair bugs. Easy access, drive right up to the lake shore for most of its perimeter.

kwest10
01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Kwest, just total suckage all around. Sorry to read this, sir.

Will you be ambulatory for the Sierra trout opener, at least?

I should be but last time I fished for trout I was using med tackle and it was boring to haul them in. Light tackle w/ light line would be a blast.
IIRC, the lakes up there would still require a lot of climbing over rocks and what not which will be a no no for me for awhile.