PDA

View Full Version : lagoon lake snapping turtle

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 01:59 AM
So i know they drained the lake when they where remodeling it and found a huge snapping turtle. so today i went to the lake for a run with my dog and i always walk the last lap and i saw a snapping turtle and i decided to catch him, he is in a cooler right now in my room anyone know what to do with him or who to contact about this matter.

Bradakas
01-11-2010, 02:40 AM
sweet, any pics?

fishmounter
01-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Put him back into his home! Why would you remove him?... especially when you don't plan on keeping it? It may not even be a snapper. There are several water turtles that look like Snapping Turtles, but do not get very big. A Snapping Turtle or two will not hurt the fishing at all. Not cool bro to remove an animal from it's habitat. True, it probably was put there illegally by a pet owner, but hey, it just makes for a more interesting lake. Put him back.

richaaron
01-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Bring him to Imperial Fish in Brea. 704 E. Imperial Hwy. I'm sure they'll take him off your hands. I would assume that Turtles can eat Bass Fry so why take that chance... JMO -Rich

DarkShadow
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
You think snapping turtles can take care of an invasive cormorant population?

Swank909
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
You think snapping turtles can take care of an invasive cormorant population?
Hahahaha this **** made me laugh

As for the turtle, start looking up some rescues or call a vet and see where you can drop the turtle off. You don't want to be caught with it since its illegal to have in california and you can't set it free cause that's illegal too

vanillagurilla
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
i highly doubt it was a snapping turtle. probly just a slider. theres dozens in that lake. i was there today also. i talked to a dfg guy at tri- city a few months ago and he told me that if i cought a carp or a turtle to throw it in the trash can. i guess turtles get out control easy.

carpanglerdude
01-11-2010, 01:05 PM
So it's legal to waste those species?

vanillagurilla
01-11-2010, 01:52 PM
i dont know but thats what i was told. by both DFG and the guy who manages the water at tri- city.

DarkShadow
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
i talked to a dfg guy at tri- city a few months ago and he told me that if i cought a carp or a turtle to throw it in the trash can.

Was he a warden or a dfg biologist?

vanillagurilla
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
warden. theres hundreds of turtles and carp over there. you catch so many damn turtles during catfish season lol.

LunkerLover
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Return it. :Neutral:

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
What would shredder do? Maybe make some turtle soup...
But to be serious bro, I would through it back in the lake so he can tell his other turtle buddies not to sun bathe no more cause some dude is abducting turtles and tortureing them by locking them in a airtight cooler and networking with his friends about your turtle demise, on the second hand throw that sucker away or do so turtle trafficing I heard it's big. At legg lake....lol.. j/k..maybe not..

fisherman 2010
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Return it. :Neutral:I second that,you have no right to mess with the turtles.They built a pad for them to sun on north side,throw it back,IMO

ToadsToadsOnly
01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Drop them off at the local chinese market LoL's.

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
i highly doubt it was a snapping turtle. probly just a slider. theres dozens in that lake. i was there today also. i talked to a dfg guy at tri- city a few months ago and he told me that if i cought a carp or a turtle to throw it in the trash can. i guess turtles get out control easy.

yo vanilla ice its deffinitly not a red ear slider........

kwest10
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
put it in your toilet with the lid down and hide a video camera.

seriously...put it back.

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I second that,you have no right to mess with the turtles.They built a pad for them to sun on north side,throw it back,IMO
i have every right to take the turtle and get him to his proper habbitat he does not belong here ........ this turtle is not allowed in ca why would they have taken that big snapping turtle out and donated it. why not just relese him in the newly remodled lake clearly ther is a reason they dont want them here.im gonna do some reserch and see what kinda of damage he can do IF i decide to put him back "IF"

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
put it in your toilet with the lid down and hide a video camera.

seriously...put it back.

im waiting for someone to open the cooler looking for a drink hhahahaah

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
But to be serious bro, I would through it back in the lake so he can tell his other turtle buddies not to sun bathe no more cause some dude is abducting turtles and tortureing them by locking them in a airtight cooler and networking with his friends about your turtle demise, on the second hand throw that sucker away or do so turtle trafficing I heard it's big. At legg lake....lol.. j/k..maybe not..

lol i heard the market is even better with removeing the snakehead population that shouldent be here

DarkShadow
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
... or do so turtle trafficing I heard it's big at legg lake...

Turtle trafficking?

Is that when u place a turtle on the west side of Rosemead Bl and watch it try to avoid traffic as it makes it way across all 8 lanes in order to get back to the lake?

Kinda like Frogger, but with slower action.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7804/turtleer.gif

BIGRED KILLA
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
That thing is bada$$ i would ether return it back to the lake or make a big custom pond outside for him when he gets big you can walk him take him fishing with you and feed him carp. They will prob kill him if you hand it over to someone.

Bigred

bassaholic90
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
That thing is bada$$ i would ether return it back to the lake or make a big custom pond outside for him when he gets big you can walk him take him fishing with you and feed him carp. They will prob kill him if you hand it over to someone.

Bigred

i deffinitly dont want them to kill it

Hometown
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Put him back into his home! Why would you remove him?... especially when you don't plan on keeping it? It may not even be a snapper. There are several water turtles that look like Snapping Turtles, but do not get very big. A Snapping Turtle or two will not hurt the fishing at all. Not cool bro to remove an animal from it's habitat. True, it probably was put there illegally by a pet owner, but hey, it just makes for a more interesting lake. Put him back.

Why didnt they put reggie the gator back in his home?????:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Fish Dog
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
DO NOT RETURN IT!! It is a non-native species.

The Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) is a large freshwater turtle of the family Chelydridae. Its natural range extends from southeastern Canada south, west to the Rocky Mountains throughout Mexico, and as far south as Ecuador.

Contact these folks

http://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html

and they can probably find it a safe, and legal, home.

Hometown
01-11-2010, 09:32 PM
DO NOT RETURN IT!! It is a non-native species.

Contact these folks

http://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html

and they can probably find it a safe, and legal, home.

bravo a clear head:Big Grin:

Ifishtoolittle
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Fish Dog;422159]DO NOT RETURN IT!! It is a non-native species.

So is the Largemouth Bass.

Range

The largemouth bass is native only to North America, and its original range was generally the eastern half of the United States and southern Ontario and Quebec in Canada. The native range extended south from Iowa to Texas and northeastern Mexico, and east to the South Atlantic coast and western New York and Pennsylvania. Due to extensive stocking and the largemouth’s adaptable nature, it is now abundant throughout the Appalachian and Ozark Ranges, most of the northeastern U.S. from Maryland to Maine, and easternmost Canada.

Since the late 1800s, its range has been expanded to include major or minor portions of every state in the U.S. except Alaska, and most of the southern fringes of Canada, as well as several regions in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, and the Caribbean.

http://grandfishingreport.com/pgs/lakeinfo/species/largemouthbass/largemouth.htm

-See the problem with this turtle situation and all NON-NATIVE species is that we tend to favor and defend some while slandering and eradicating other NON-NATIVES. I mean have any of you FNNers ever see how explosive a Snakehead can be? My 2cents.

-IF2L

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Turtle trafficking?

Is that when u place a turtle on the west side of Rosemead Bl and watch it try to avoid traffic as it makes it way across all 8 lanes in order to get back to the lake?

Hahahahaha good one shadow..

Btw: keep it bassaholic..train it to pick up arch rivals senkos and other lures so they think they have a bite...

Fishbones
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM

LMAOx1,000,000,000 ..ITS TRUE hahahahahaha turtle trafficing hahahahahah

bassaholic90
01-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Hahahahaha good one shadow..

Btw: keep it bassaholic..train it to pick up arch rivals senkos and other lures so they think they have a bite...

I think im gonna train him to retrive my gear that breaks off on structure lol and have him heard all the fish into a small circle for me to cast into:Smile:

Fishbones
01-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Turtle trafficking?

Hahahahahahahahahahah..... what a thread .....too funny

boris
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
release it down a storm drain and in 10 years we can have the legend of a man eating snapping turtle in socal sewers.

DarkShadow
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
release it down a storm drain and in 10 years we can have the legend of a man eating snapping turtle in socal sewers.

Teenage Maneating Ninja Turtles?

T.M.N.T

I smell a hit series.

LunkerLover
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
The Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) is a large freshwater turtle of the family Chelydridae. Its natural range extends from southeastern Canada south, west to the Rocky Mountains throughout Mexico, and as far south as Ecuador.

Clear Head???????

Notice the term "...throughout Mexico..."

Sorry to state it guys, but we as Southern Californians are considered "throughout Mexico." HA! It's only been a few hundred years since we've drawn a "line" that we are NOT considered Mexico. Ask ANY pond biologist, including my buddy who works at UCSD in the marine biology department I just talked to, if you found it there.... leave it there or DEF. contact that website that he gave you......

bassaholic90
01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
So i contacted my father that works at santa ana community college and he talked to his friend who teaches there and they are going to get him a permant home there. there waiting on some permit or something ill get you all pictures of his setup in the future

Bradakas
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Did you name the little guy yet?

bassaholic90
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Did you name the little guy yet?

Ya i named him Bowser

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I think im gonna train him to retrive my gear that breaks off on structure lol and have him heard all the fish into a small circle for me to cast into:Smile:

Hell yeah bro, we could team up..I got a cormarant locked in my trunk, kinda like the scene from reservoir doggs..I have my wifes hoop ear ring around his neck and 30ft choke chain so he won't swallow the whole fish..I just reel him back in and slap him upside the dome and wham...instant trout retriver..

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
HERE'S A FEW TURTLES I KEEP IN MY POND.:Twisted::Twisted::Twisted:
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/motopuaina/nsfw-sexy-ninja-turtles1.jpg

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
hahahahahahah....cant.....stop.....laughing....... .

vanillagurilla
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
lol contacting DFG is a JOKE.

fishfinder
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
That doesn't look like a snapping turtle.

Seņor.Chilax
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM

Clear Head???????

Sorry to state it guys, but we as Southern Californians are considered "throughout Mexico." HA! It's only been a few hundred years since we've drawn a "line" that we are NOT considered Mexico. Ask ANY pond biologist, including my buddy who works at UCSD in the marine biology department I just talked to, if you found it there.... leave it there or DEF. contact that website that he gave you......

A FEW HUNDRED YEARS?!? Try 1850. Thats only 160years, not that long ago. Just thought i would help you out with some true facts.

Fish Dog
01-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Clear Head???????

I'm sure this information on the natural range of the snapping turtle was published at least 160 years ago and, hence, Southern California is
considered "throughout Mexico." WTF?!? yeah, it seems like it's getting there again but since this is a thread about turtles lets not get anything political going. I'll just say that if it says throughout Mexico then I'm going to believe that's what they mean and not assume (to make an ***-u-me) that they "meant" California too just because it used to be part of Mexico in the distant past.

whittier_brian
01-15-2010, 01:19 AM
CUT the head off next time and throw it in the trash thy can eat a 4lb bass in 2min on a stringer I have seen it happen so just kill them next time....

Reefer J
01-15-2010, 04:07 AM
LOL, the fu#% is a 4lb bass doing on a stringer anyway.. got what he deserved..

bassaholic90
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
LOL, the fu#% is a 4lb bass doing on a stringer anyway.. got what he deserved..

lol does bowser look like her could do any harm to you. Ive taken that training thing to heart. we just got the mimicing thing down hahahahahah:ROFL:

smokehound
01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
these things are no joke. Possibly the baddest-*** turtle species ever.

Ifishtoolittle
01-16-2010, 08:22 PM
lol does bowser look like her could do any harm to you. Ive taken that training thing to heart. we just got the mimicing thing down hahahahahah:ROFL:

What did you do with Bowser?

bassaholic90
01-17-2010, 03:34 AM
What did you do with Bowser?

There is this 99 ranch market by my house and one of the managers said he would adopt him from me and give him a nice home in there display tanks hahahahahah right next to some lobsters:ROFL:

pasadenafishin
01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Cool!! im no turtle expert so i wont even bother saying what i think u should do with it..
But up in massachusetts where i fish during the summer the turtle population has gotten out of hand. every single cast you get a hit from a turtle. If your fishing with shiners, you reel them up only to find the lips still on the hook. I started bringing a sling shot and shooting them when the surface... I HATE TURTLESS!!!!! ever been wading and had a 50 pound turtle surface right next to you?? SCARY SH!##

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
there is this 99 ranch market by my house and one of the managers said he would adopt him from me and give him a nice home in there display tanks hahahahahah right next to some lobsters:rofl:

r.i.p bowser, now he's in the big pond in the sky.....

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-17-2010, 10:17 AM
There is this 99 ranch market by my house and one of the managers said he would adopt him from me and give him a nice home in there display tanks hahahahahah right next to some lobsters:ROFL:

he's in a turtle farm, where ther is lettuce wall to wall and a big place so he can run around with other pond turtles..intermingle with sea turtles..

LunkerLover
01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
A FEW HUNDRED YEARS?!? Try 1850. Thats only 160years, not that long ago. Just thought i would help you out with some true facts.

Oh ... sorry Mr. Chilax...

Didn't realize I was dealing with such an articulate angler ... I used "few" as indicating a small portion of units or individuals constituing a whole; next time I'll use a more appropriate adjective; or should I say, superlative?

Sorry we can't all be as educated as you

:Worship:

Ifishtoolittle
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM

My god! Well I've eaten quite a few turtles myself and they do taste pretty good. I don't think that was the best thing you could have done, but at least his death won't be meaningless. I mean someone will eat him.

bassaholic90
01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
My god! Well I've eaten quite a few turtles myself and they do taste pretty good. I don't think that was the best thing you could have done, but at least his death won't be meaningless. I mean someone will eat him.

just to let you all know i was jokeing hahaha he is not in a ranch market he is in a scinece class ar santa ana college lol