PDA

View Full Version : Another Black Sea Bass Pier Murder !

DockRat
01-10-2010, 06:05 AM
2010 Video with up to 100 witnesses as it gasps for it's last's breath.

Balboa POACHING Pier, Newport Beach California.

Remember folks if you see POACHING like this in video call Local Police to hold the Poacher till DFG shows.

UPDATED LINKS MUST SEE VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw5LDkewqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOGHoj3gf1A&feature=player_embedded

The second video has a close up as it dies.

Thaks fish4keep for the video, public awareness is important.

Pissed Off, DR

victor101
01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Wow..that sad to hear.

the videos arent loading btw

samgann93
01-10-2010, 08:14 AM
if you were to hook a bsb from a pier, what would be the best way to get a release?

sometimes guys spend 30minute+ just to revieve them. That isnt possible from a peir.

could you walk the fish to shore and have someone go to the sand and revive them in the waves?

im just curious,
Sam

cjmedina
01-10-2010, 10:41 AM
the video links are dead, is the same video that is making the rounds on the fishing boards?

fish4keep
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't fish the piers (beside for bait), but if I hooked into something that big and know for certain it's a bsb, I'll just button down my drag and hope it breaks close to the knot. I think that would give the beast a better chance than to gaff it, bring it ashore, and then after several pics release it......

Edit...
The link on the other post works....
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=41885&page=3

Bradakas
01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
sad sight there

TShaffer
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I can't believe that. That entire crowd and not one of them knew the crime they were commiting? Not one lifegaurd or policemen nearby saw any of that commotion? WTH!?! I get harassed by game wardens at the Bolsa Chica Jetty for fishing too close to the bridge but they can't arrest the a**hole that murdered a BSB on the beach in front of probably 100 people? What is wrong with the world? Second of all I didn't know public boaters could even be that close to the beach. Isn't that illegal? No law enforcement saw that either? Geez.

spork
01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
and thats why licenses should be required on piers and jetties.

BIGRED KILLA
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I wish i was on seen i called the DFG on someone like that a long time ago on a mini BSB that was dead in a fisherman's bucket DFG actually came. This is sad to see i know BSB numbers are coming way up from the past but it seems like a lot of people right now do not know about there protection and the laws about them or how to handle them in that matter.

Bigred

DockRat
01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Updated Link.

Looks like the guy used a pier gaff then tossed the rope to a private boater who towed the BSB towards the surf and passed the rope to the fisherman who swam out. Then the guy drags it up on the beach in front of the crowd.
For you guys who didn't see the video.

What is the estimated weight ? 100 lbs ?
DR

yakfu
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I really wonder if that guy even hooked the fish at all. Judging from how weak it looked, I'm betting on another fisherman caught him and didn't know how to deflate that bladder and left him floating towards shore, and this guy snagged him from the pier. Really sad sight, especially the fact there was no one around to recognize that it was a BSB.

DockRat
01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I'll just button down my drag and hope it breaks close to the knot. I think that would give the beast a better chance than to gaff it, bring it ashore, and then after several pics release it......

That would work.

They say when your getting spooled to thumb down on the last few wraps and it will snap near the hook.
Get spooled all the way to the spool and it snaps at the spool then you loose your line.

The Venice guys should have used the hoop net.

Best is to dive in and handle it, that would be a great C&R video or get a surfer to help out.

That guy should be easy to ID with that tattoo.

The second video has close up's after the skimboarder scene
in the second half of the video.

Check out this CPR BSB video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRYt3ooLs4

This guy pops the bladder at Catalina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0RMAb8Fwc

Note: due to overfishing which includes a vulnerability to spear fishermen, the species is considered to be an endangered species and we strongly recommend that it be handled as a “catch and release” species. In 2005 the Fish and Game Department of the State of California imposed a $1,000 fine and up to six months in jail for anyone in possession of a Black Sea Bass.

Omid Adhami pled guilty to the "illegal taking of a protected giant sea bass." He got three years probation, 30 days of community service and ordered to pay $1,100 in fine. The judge told him that if he violated his probation, he would go directly to jail, (do not pass Go, do not collect $200) and also took his gear.

The case of Omid Adhami, a foreigner who used a speargun to kill a giant sea bass, friendly enough to local divers to have a name, in La Jolla Ecological Reserve.

"When authorities intercepted the vessel, they discovered Blackie — a 50-something-year-old giant black sea bass weighing 171 pounds — skewered. The slain fish, a protected species, had been friendly to swimmers in the cove since the 1950s, says lifeguard Sgt. John Sandmeyer.

“‘There are groups that are breaking [into] tears over this,’ he says.

“State law prohibits killing the fish species, gentle giants once harvested to the brink of extinction.

At trial, a game warden compared the killing to "going out to a dairy and shooting a cow." (Or, perhaps, chasing a horse to death).

The perp had a long rap sheet, couldn't be expected to exhibit sportsman-like qualities, and indeed shouldn't have been in the country at all:

“Adhami has six felony convictions for auto theft, receiving stolen property, burglary and insurance fraud and has served 2122 years in state prison. Adhami also is an undocumented immigrant who could be deported to his native Iran at any time, according to court records.” (3 plead not guilty in killing of protected fish, by Terry Rodgers, San Diego Union-Tribune, June 3, 2005)

Send this guy back to Iran.
DR

NY4Reels!
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I always wondered just how ignorant people could be. Just when you think you see something that tops the list, a week later one even greater comes along............

Great, more fuel for the MLPA Blue Ribbion Task force.

spork
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Unbelievable!

Stormcrow
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH AN EMBARRASSING DISPLAY OF IGNORANCE AND CARELESSNESS IN 25+ YEARS OF FISHING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

I hope that that individual is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law

I also hope a 5" long potato bug finds its way into his anus at night while he is sleeping

fishincrave
01-10-2010, 10:23 PM
This is a very sad seen to all of us fisherman and non fisherman ,
another log on the burning fire for MLPA.
I just want to ad that this video looks kinda old like summer or early fall,
correct me if i'm wrong cause all the people have shorts and swim suits, and the guy who went in the water didn't look like was cold at all.
Hope some one got that guys mug to the authorities .

Sean

fishraider
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
why doesnt someone sumit the video too fish and game? the guys face is on the picture and im sure he fishes there or someone might spot him out someday and might turn him in!!!

delmar
01-11-2010, 04:20 AM
What a dumbass.... Wish I was there to rat this loser out.

TroutOnly
01-11-2010, 08:29 AM
What a sad way for beautiful specimen to die at the hands of poachers, i cant beleave there was not one person in the crowd on the pier or the other crowd that didnt know what that was and that they should have not even touched it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

megafisher94
01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
this ******* sucks!!! i know by know hes long gone and wont be caught, but i hope he AT LEASED found out what he did... even though stormcrows post seems like a great solution.

fishing can be a fun family sport, but it isnt kite flying. THERE ARE RULES!

bsp
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
There's a reason I stopped pier fishing the really big and well known piers regularly and took up surf fishing (except on rare occasions when I needed macs or sardines). Some piers everybody knows what's up and follows regs and those I will still fish, but others are just filled with people who I would never want to associate the word fisherman with. Really sad that that happened, and I hope the people responsible are caught.

Lightline
01-12-2010, 12:56 AM
where are the life guards? dont they know about BSB?

DockRat
01-12-2010, 06:22 AM
why doesnt someone sumit the video too fish and game? the guys face is on the picture and im sure he fishes there or someone might spot him out someday and might turn him in!!!

I sent a letter with video links.

This is the pier gaffing video. At 8 min the dad on the boat sinks the second gaff into it (assisting in the crime)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzyQmSusmhk&feature=channel

Any Youtube members you can PM the guy that put up the video if you click on the user name. There is multiple videos and one of them may have his name or address.
DR

DockRat
01-12-2010, 06:56 AM
This is a very sad seen to all of us fisherman and non fisherman ,
another log on the burning fire for MLPA.
I just want to ad that this video looks kinda old like summer or early fall,
correct me if i'm wrong cause all the people have shorts and swim suits, and the guy who went in the water didn't look like was cold at all.
Hope some one got that guys mug to the authorities .

Sean

The videos are done by a couple different people.
One put up the video on Jan 3, one Jan 10

That saturday was a hot day and it is not uncommen to see people dressed like that on a warm saturday.

I am pretty sure it was shot Jan 2

MLPA is pretty much done at this point and I don't see how exposing a pier poacher will have any effect in MLPA at this point.

At the MLPA Long Beach meeting in Nov some dumbass lady and her group interviewed like 1500 pier fisherman who said someting like 85% of pier fishermen support map 3 (larger closed areas)

I almost puked. Do you think they even followed the process? :ROFL:
'Larger closure areas means more fish for the pier crowd.' :ROFL:

WHAT A JOKE :ROFL:

Most of these pier guys don't buy licenses, don't know the rules, and poach alot. Not being raceist (married to a Latina, 1/2 breed kids, lived in S America, speak spanish) but it is very clear that many pier guys don't speak english, and I would bet many entered the USA illegally.

It is also very clear that DFG doesn't target the pier crowd. Why Not ?
Do they not show up to pay fines ?
Redondo Pier has Lobster snaggers. I've seen them snagging and called DFG but they never showed :Angry:

Is Redondo Pier too much of a walk for DFG ? :ROFL:
Why don't they write tickets at the Queen Mary Public Fishing Area ?
Sat, Sun has 100 fishermen with good weather. Short bass in buckets, baby WSB, almost no fishing licenses, and NO DFG. :Angry:

They need to fire half the agents and shake up that department.
Ohh I forgot they have union protection witch allows them to sit in OUR trucks we pay for and eat donuts. :ROFL:
DR

fish4keep
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I sent a letter with video links.

Any Youtube members you can PM the guy that put up the video if you click on the user name. There is multiple videos and one of them may have his name or address.
DR

There's no point in PMing the guy and/or getting his name and address. He's just putting up some vids he shot. Maybe with the vids it will help DFG pursue the angler, assistants, and/or boater. IMHO, eventhough the bsb was release, it should be considered taking a protected specie and waste of fish with that amount of time. Sad, just sad.......:Sad:

DockRat
01-13-2010, 06:10 AM
OC Register story followed by comments how it was released and found dead in the surf. One reply says DFG showed up and didn't do squat. WTF :Angry:

DFG needs a major overhaul, I can't believe it. Who trains these guys ?
What a joke.

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/09/huge-fish-dragged-out-of-newport-surf/77201/

Another video of the BSB after it was hooked and the boater sinking the first gaff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-BCBlyjt8

Department of
Failing
Gassbags

DR

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 09:30 AM
.....the pain.......im disgusted......WTF....

Rakie
01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
I share your guys' pain. It's very unfortunate, but sadly I bet 9/10 people there had no idea it was illegal in any way.. Not many people read up on whats legal, and whats not.. I've seen this kinda thing all over... From small park lakes (people keeping large mouths) to the ocean. It really breaks my heart to see a fish like that go down. New evidence shows that Giant Sea Bass can be mature when only about 40lbs, so hopefully that fish has some babies swimming around somewhere, said new evidence points out that fish was probably 10+ years old.

I like this info: http://www.pier.org/CA_coastal_gs_bass_biological2.shtml

Sadly, I could see that in depth info assisting another jackass catch and keep one of these beauties.

ghetto dad
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I finally watched those videos....absolutley disgusted.....

GD

Rakie
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I finally watched those videos....absolutley disgusted.....

GD

As soon as I saw that big beauty floating in and that guy start swimming towards it, I had to shut it off.

Way worse than any slasher flick =/

Hate2Fish
01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Interesting Thread

Hate2Fish
01-14-2010, 02:45 AM
If I saw that beast coming to shore, my first thought it is old and fixin to die

Second thought where is my gut knife

If any of you bleeding hearts caught that around Catalina and state you'd throw it back, I'll call you a LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

I enjoy visiting this website just to read general BS

DockRat
01-14-2010, 06:21 AM
If I saw that beast coming to shore, my first thought it is old and fixin to die

If any of you bleeding hearts caught that around Catalina and state you'd throw it back, I'll call you a LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

That is a stupid statement.

FYI The Black Seabass population has rebounded and these fish are caught and released 'All The Time' can be seen at various locations at Catalina like The Italian Gardens.

Why would any fisherman keep a Black Sea Bass and risk a huge fine and possible jail time and community service ?

Spearfisherman see BSB snd DO NOT pull the trigger.

'We got ethics yes we do'
'We got ethics how about you' ? http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/keyorshe/luckycheer1ij7.gif

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e317/garsonmaya/karma-1-1.jpg DR

TUNAVIC
01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
DFG tip-line pf#8883342258 all fisherman should have this number in there cell phone.
Tuna Vic

fish4keep
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM

I too enjoy visiting this website for it's drama/bs but this is not a bs thread. Like DR had said the bsb population is on the rebound thanks to putting them on the "no take" list. If it was coming to shore out of nowhere than yeah, you could atleast think of the possibility of dieing of natural causes. But when you have someone admittedly say he caught it and then "intentionally" sanked two gaff into the mouth of a protected fish, hanged it off to the side of the pier for X amount of time, then dragging it up the sand, just to take out the gaffs (he told the boater to put in) and a hook, then take a pic??? There has been many many people who have caught them, and alot of them know to release them back. I guess you're just one of the few who would keep them......

glumace
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Take a look at the OC register postings...

From the writer/editor of the original article

Gary Robbins, science writer-editor says:
January 13, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Mike: Although DFG didn’t release the man’s name, the story makes clear that they did identify him. Cordero spoke to him today. And I note that DFG decided not to issue a citation.

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/09/huge-fish-dragged-out-of-newport-surf/77201/

sansou
01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Take a look at the OC register postings...

From the writer/editor of the original article

Gary Robbins, science writer-editor says:
January 13, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Mike: Although DFG didn’t release the man’s name, the story makes clear that they did identify him. Cordero spoke to him today. And I note that DFG decided not to issue a citation.

Thanks for posting the followup.

Gotta love the comment "BSB taste similar to WSB".

Clearly that guy is a BS artist that has never eaten BSB before.

Ricky-Ray
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Garibaldi taste MUCH better than BSB....

At least from what I heard.....:whistle:

DockRat
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
This line in the OC paper has to be the joke of the year.

:ROFL:They were in a hurry to remove the hook and get it back into the water :ROFL:

If that was the case why gaff it twice and drag it up on the beach for a photo shoot ?
DR

Fire Ball
01-14-2010, 07:33 PM
This line in the OC paper has to be the joke of the year.

:ROFL:They were in a hurry to remove the hook and get it back into the water :ROFL:

If that was the case why gaff it twice and drag it up on the beach for a photo shoot ?
DR

:ROFL: WOW! They obviously didn't see the video!!

DockRat
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Garibaldi taste MUCH better than BSB....

People eat Garibaldi, no big deal.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x275/SanDiegoAnita/February2008062.jpg

In Mexico. :ROFL:
DR

sansou
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Ricky-Ray,

Gimme a couple weeks, and if I make a pitstop at Ensenada on the way back home from fishing, I'll bring you some. Not joking....and you better eatem' and post it up here on FNN!!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/sansou/San%20Quintin%20May%202009/SanQuintinMay2009157-1.jpg

Alexi
01-14-2010, 08:25 PM
DFG is a joke. I got drilled by the DFG one day at the beach last year. i caught a species of fish that is illegal to take. so of course like many of us, when we catch a species like that we always carefully release it. right? well i did just that, fish's gills never out of the water, cut the hook to minimize trauma to the jaw/mouth, and released the fish. DFG a-holes decide to tell me I am going to be questioned by authorities and revoke my licsense and surrender my gear. I laughed and said "F*** Off" and then the cops came. claimed a witness taped the whole thing. so here i was going back and forth with the DFG morons and the cops as to how I wasn't specifically targeting this species and how 99% of the time from the surf, you are basically blind fishing(unless you see that corbina) so anyway, i pulled out the old "go ahead and take my stuff, charge me, put me through the ringer, but you WILL all get phone calls tomorrow followed by some legal materials in the mail". All BS, but i never thought I would have to go through something like that and take it to that level with the idiots that work for the DFG, who WE pay!!

Tight lines all!!!!!

sonarbp
01-18-2010, 07:40 AM
It is about time!!!!! Just saw a news flash on the OC news that the guys who hooked and landed the Black Sea Bass of the pier is being charged with taking a protected species.

"Now, the fisherman is facing up to $1,000 fine and six months in jail for reeling in the catch."

Here is the story....

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/A-Fisherman-Lands-More-than-He-Expec-81888092.html

Sounds like the guy is changing his story now he is facing jail time!!!!!

sonarbp

BIGRED KILLA
01-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I had BSB soup in Mexico did not know it was that fish till after but wow was it killer it had a clam chowder texture with chunks of BSB. puedo obtener segundos para mi culo gordo

Bigred

sonarbp
01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I had BSB soup in Mexico did not know it was that fish till after but wow was it killer it had a clam chowder texture with chunks of BSB. puedo obtener segundos para mi culo gordo

Bigred

BSB is a great tasting fish.....Some of the best fish I have ever had!!!! I too had it while on vacation in Mexico.