PDA

View Full Version : Holdover Trout at Perris Lake?

Gobigal
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I have read and heard that holdover trout are on the chew at Perris. I used to fish for large holdovers at Perris 10-15 years ago. I could not believe what I have read in WON magazine, but I have been convinced reading the threads and seeing the pictures in this forum that these are in fact "holdover" trout.

Has anyone else been to Perris recently to see this phenomenon? With the stripers being confirmed in lake Perris now I gave no hope for these trout to make a comeback.

Instead of heading to DVL now, maybe my next run will be to Perris.

gobigal

bassassassin
01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
dont waste your time, go to dvl

samgann93
01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
dont waste your time, go to dvl

x2

dvl is so much better.

coty
01-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I have heard that about that lake. But I have gone there for some trout and theres nothen I went and not one person cought anything. I would rather go to dvl and have more fun there. But if you go have fun and good luck

Socal Bassman
01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
The last holdovers I caught was in November. Although, I wasn't targetting them. I'd say go to DVL, though.

HuskerRod
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Two years ago in late spring I found a dead trout on shore with a tail that looked like one of those oriental hand fans. The sucker was 22" inches long and had beautiful markings. That may have been the last holdover and the poor guy kicked the bucket, but I was there. That is worth something I guess.

Troudt
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Okay.. sorry for the rookie question, but what is considered a "Holdover"?
Is it left over from the previous stock or the previous year?

Sunday we fished Perris and did pretty good on trout. Most were 11-14 inches.
The biggest being 18 inches. He was a rainbow, but he didn't look typical, his jaw was weird and kinda hooked up at the bottom.

When we cleaned him, we found 3 hooks inside were people had lost him.

So was he a holdover?

One night this week he'll be dinner :Smile:

Thanks

Hometown
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Okay.. sorry for the rookie question, but what is considered a "Holdover"?
Is it left over from the previous stock or the previous year?

Sunday we fished Perris and did pretty good on trout. Most were 11-14 inches.
The biggest being 18 inches. He was a rainbow, but he didn't look typical, his jaw was weird and kinda hooked up at the bottom.

When we cleaned him, we found 3 hooks inside were people had lost him.

So was he a holdover?

One night this week he'll be dinner :Smile:

Thanksa holdover is a trout that has been in the lake long enough it basically has become wild if the fish has pink meat holdover

Troudt
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the definition of holdover.

Based on the size, weight, meat color and the number of hooks inside of him, I guess I caught a holdover on Sunday.

He's getting cooked this week.