PDA

View Full Version : Hard fishing from tube at castaic lagoon 1-8-10

Ray Lopez
01-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Yesterday we had planned to take the tubes out to the lagoon. One of my buddies had never fished from a tube before so i was hoping for a decent day.

We got out on the lake at about 7am launched from paradise cove. I got my tube set and we launched. I decided to move north fishing towards the north end of the swim beach. The wind was light early in the morning. So i set both the guys up with some rigs. I was drop shotting a robo on one pole and trolling a glass shad rap on the other. We worked are way up fishing from shallow to deeper waters in a 3 man tube hunt.

Nothing was happening at all. There were loads of boats on the water too. Finally after i used the little boys room at the swim beach i get in my tube and get slammed on my glass shad rap. Reel up to find a 13" stocker trout to my surprise. I was telling the guys that this is a good trout area typically this time of year. But they kept floating away since the wind was picking up a bit. So i hurry up and kick it to them they were already making there way towards the spillway even tho i warned them it was super shallow over in the north end. Also that i wanted to work the north swim beach for at least some trout action just to get them on some fish. Well anyways i follow them north and we kicked it near the old CSUN dock ate some lunch and fished that area for a bit seeing as last time i caught a nice 5 pound chunk. Nothing again so i tell them "hey lets fish that area for trout" They both said no and wanted to fish the spillway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR. "Listen to your guide damn it!!!!!!!!!" Anyway i take them to the spillways i only fished the large overflow spillway since i know of some decent structure over there and the other guy hit the smaller spillway. The wind really started kicking in hard and the lake was white capping by now. So i told them lets get going back towards that trout spot and get us on some limit fishing for trout but they both just starting kicking away from me. I went back through that spot on the swim beach again. But was hard to stay in that spot with the 20+ mph winds that were blowing. I ended up getting 4 hits on the d/s robo and the crank bait got a nibble too. But they were no where to be seen so i said F it and made my way back towards paradise cove.

We fished the rip rap on the front end of the lagoon with n/c's and meal worms trying for some pan fish to hopefully get them un skunked but to no love the wind was just to hard to get a good spot to fish so we shored it for like an hour and then split around 3pm.

So the tally for the day was

Ray: 1 trout
Rich: skunked
Kurt: skunked

it was still a fun day with the boys on the lake just next time they better listen to me!!!!!!!! lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0722.jpg
This is the one fish caught (gave to Kurt so his wife would not get mad that in the last 9 trips he has gone fishing he got skunked lol)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0723.jpg
this wind was kicking up a bit plus yo can see my buddie rich in the middle of the lake in a wind storm lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0725.jpg
The geese were there in huge numbers. Always a pleasant site from the normal duck and seagulls.

So there ya go Still no skunks this year for me out of the three trips i have made. That is a decent start to the year.

Gonna start working more on my freshwater fishing this year and calm down on the salt.

cutbait
01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Way to slay. I'm going to have to take my tube I won at StriperFest and hit it with ya

Fire Ball
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
A trout on a crankbait? Nice! I might hit up the North Swim Beach for some trout action next time I take my tube out. Maybe I will see you at the Lagoon sometime.

cappo
01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Trout slayer. Nice going bud. You didnt miss much today, wind was blowing and the sun never came out.

PitchFish
01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Yesterday we had planned to take the tubes out to the lagoon. One of my buddies had never fished from a tube before so i was hoping for a decent day.

We got out on the lake at about 7am launched from paradise cove. I got my tube set and we launched. I decided to move north fishing towards the north end of the swim beach. The wind was light early in the morning. So i set both the guys up with some rigs. I was drop shotting a robo on one pole and trolling a glass shad rap on the other. We worked are way up fishing from shallow to deeper waters in a 3 man tube hunt.

Nothing was happening at all. There were loads of boats on the water too. Finally after i used the little boys room at the swim beach i get in my tube and get slammed on my glass shad rap. Reel up to find a 13" stocker trout to my surprise. I was telling the guys that this is a good trout area typically this time of year. But they kept floating away since the wind was picking up a bit. So i hurry up and kick it to them they were already making there way towards the spillway even tho i warned them it was super shallow over in the north end. Also that i wanted to work the north swim beach for at least some trout action just to get them on some fish. Well anyways i follow them north and we kicked it near the old CSUN dock ate some lunch and fished that area for a bit seeing as last time i caught a nice 5 pound chunk. Nothing again so i tell them "hey lets fish that area for trout" They both said no and wanted to fish the spillway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR. "Listen to your guide damn it!!!!!!!!!" Anyway i take them to the spillways i only fished the large overflow spillway since i know of some decent structure over there and the other guy hit the smaller spillway. The wind really started kicking in hard and the lake was white capping by now. So i told them lets get going back towards that trout spot and get us on some limit fishing for trout but they both just starting kicking away from me. I went back through that spot on the swim beach again. But was hard to stay in that spot with the 20+ mph winds that were blowing. I ended up getting 4 hits on the d/s robo and the crank bait got a nibble too. But they were no where to be seen so i said F it and made my way back towards paradise cove.

We fished the rip rap on the front end of the lagoon with n/c's and meal worms trying for some pan fish to hopefully get them un skunked but to no love the wind was just to hard to get a good spot to fish so we shored it for like an hour and then split around 3pm.

So the tally for the day was

Ray: 1 trout
Rich: skunked
Kurt: skunked

it was still a fun day with the boys on the lake just next time they better listen to me!!!!!!!! lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0722.jpg
This is the one fish caught (gave to Kurt so his wife would not get mad that in the last 9 trips he has gone fishing he got skunked lol)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0723.jpg
this wind was kicking up a bit plus yo can see my buddie rich in the middle of the lake in a wind storm lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0725.jpg
The geese were there in huge numbers. Always a pleasant site from the normal duck and seagulls.

So there ya go Still no skunks this year for me out of the three trips i have made. That is a decent start to the year.

Gonna start working more on my freshwater fishing this year and calm down on the salt.

Sorry to hear about the tough day fishing-wise.....I think I might have seen you. I was in the Ranger right by paradise cove as you guys were launching and going around that big tree, you had 2 float tubes and 1 bigger float right? We noticed you guys stayed in that beach area for a while....i even commented to the guy I had fishing with me, I wonder if that is a good area because I noticed those 3 float tubers staying there for a while. Anyways, I know what you mean by the north end being so shallow! We got close to that old dock and my graph was saying 1-2 feet?? Is it really that shallow there always? I remember catching a decent(2 lb) LMB by that dock back in March of 2009.

I also hear you on the wind....it got pretty rough around 1030ish....The bite was slow for us as well. I got a nice LMB on the northeast corner(right by a trash-can) in 8-12 feet of water. I was dragging a senko and it really hammered it. Got it in a weighed it and it came in at 4.5 lbs, actually my biggest LMB since 1998 when I got a 6lber. Other than that it was really slow, no other hits or bites at all. Not sure if it is just the season and cold water temp? I was actually just really intriged by the depths of the lagoon in certain areas.

If you dont mind, what are some of the better areas to fish the lagoon? You can PM me if you like..

Thanks!

FINSMACKDOWN
01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
props for takin your Buds out. its been tough for me latley. the trout was a nice surprise huh.

Ray Lopez
01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Way to slay. I'm going to have to take my tube I won at StriperFest and hit it with ya
yea man i'll let ya know when the fishing is worth it tho. Don't wanna invite ya to my lake and have a slow day. We must slay so i can leaving you drooling for more goon bass action!!!

A trout on a crankbait? Nice! I might hit up the North Swim Beach for some trout action next time I take my tube out. Maybe I will see you at the Lagoon sometime.
Yes that glass shad rap kills on the lagoon. Just slow trolling it behind the tube has been treating me good the last few years. Plus add's a bit of secondary action to the drop shot. Allows you to search the active and non active fish at the same time.
You mos def wanna try the north swim beach for trout. I have had 30+ trout days there and also 22 bass days on that spot during the right time of the year.

There is also a good amount of trout in the north middle part of the lake you can normally see the bass crashing on um pretty good on a flat glassy day.

Trout slayer. Nice going bud. You didnt miss much today, wind was blowing and the sun never came out.
Yea rez told me he got served his first skunk at pyramid.

Sorry to hear about the tough day fishing-wise.....I think I might have seen you. I was in the Ranger right by paradise cove as you guys were launching and going around that big tree, you had 2 float tubes and 1 bigger float right? We noticed you guys stayed in that beach area for a while....i even commented to the guy I had fishing with me, I wonder if that is a good area because I noticed those 3 float tubers staying there for a while. Anyways, I know what you mean by the north end being so shallow! We got close to that old dock and my graph was saying 1-2 feet?? Is it really that shallow there always? I remember catching a decent(2 lb) LMB by that dock back in March of 2009.

I also hear you on the wind....it got pretty rough around 1030ish....The bite was slow for us as well. I got a nice LMB on the northeast corner(right by a trash-can) in 8-12 feet of water. I was dragging a senko and it really hammered it. Got it in a weighed it and it came in at 4.5 lbs, actually my biggest LMB since 1998 when I got a 6lber. Other than that it was really slow, no other hits or bites at all. Not sure if it is just the season and cold water temp? I was actually just really intriged by the depths of the lagoon in certain areas.

If you dont mind, what are some of the better areas to fish the lagoon? You can PM me if you like..

Thanks!
Yea that was us. I was the one in the brown u-shaped tube. My buddies were in the fish cat and the trout unlimited personal pontoon. Plus most people i talked to that day were saying the fishing was hard to come by that day. I'm just happy to knock out the one unlucky trout. But i know if i would of hit that spot for longer then just two pass throughs i would of easily limited out on the trout. They love that shallow sandy weedy bottom. Must remind them of the stocking ponds they were rasied in..

props for takin your Buds out. its been tough for me latley. the trout was a nice surprise huh.

Yea i was for sure thinking i had a small bass. But hey a 13" trout is better then a skunk lol. I have caught pretty much every fish in that lake with that shad rap now. The real kicker was one day i was drop shotting a 7" robo MMIII and caught bass, red ear sunfish, bluegill, trout, and crappie in one day lol. They must of all been hungry!!!!!!

I think the recent overfilling of the lagoon and the massive influx of that cold water from the upper lake is having an adverse effect of the bass action. The trout are loving it but the bass are becoming more lethargic and running a tad bit deeper. Once we have a week or 2 of stable water we should see a increase of the bass action. I have noticed this lull coming in the last month and half.

P.S. Been working the jig and pig recently gonna see how that works for me once the bass move from trout to crayfish.

Tight lines!!!!

Hitts0n
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Cool lil report Ray ! Lets hit the dam soon for Mr Stripey !