PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question, but I have to ask.

Trout Seeker
01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Being a novice to the fishing scene, but wanting to learn and be a part of it, I have what is probably a dumb question. When you are fishing with Power Bait, is it best to us a single or treble hook...and what size???????

Danny300
01-08-2010, 08:43 PM
you can do it either way bro......i use a single hook because i like to release the trout when i ever do decided to trout fish...i think i use either a #10 or #12 hook

old pudd fisher
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I am no pro fisherman my self but been fishin off and on for trout for years. And prefer a size 10 or 12 treble hook because it holds the bait on better. Use about a 2 foot leader tied to a swivel and a sliding egg sinker above the swivel. Good luck with that.

retired96
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
If using a treble hook I only use a small size 18 for power bait. You don't need a huge gob of bait..

Sierra_Smitty
01-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree with retired...sometimes less is more....small glob, size 18 treble. I actually sell more 16's than 18's at my shop but that's most likely because we're right on the creek so we sell tons of salmon eggs, which fish better on a 16 or even 14.

Dough baits are better fished with treble hooks as the bait tends to be easily casted off of a single hook. IMO C&R really doesn't factor into it as a bait caught fish, unless luckily lip hooked (very rare with dough bait), should never be released unless the line is cut so you lose the hook either way.

asmacsbob
01-10-2010, 11:20 AM
use a size 10 baitholder and crimp the barb down...or file away...also use 2lb test max...in a lake you dont need more than that...then you dont need leaders

sb fishing
01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
size 10 single

cutbait
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I used to use trebles but sbfishing and Buck turned me onto singles'.. Haven't lost a fish and its less metal for the powerbait to have to overcome to float.

mullet
01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Single hook floats better is also more stealthy.
They will hook themselves way less pressure
to stick one point then three.
If you do release and have to cut off the hook
they are cheaper and easier on the fish to pass.
JMHO,Mike

Sierra_Smitty
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Single hook floats better is also more stealthy.
They will hook themselves way less pressure
to stick one point then three.
If you do release and have to cut off the hook
they are cheaper and easier on the fish to pass.
JMHO,Mike

I didn't expect it but there are some interesting differences of opinions on this subject...good stuff for sure.

Great points about a single being easier on the fish to pass....and being cheaper....both important factors!

A few questions...

How is the same glob of dough bait more stealthy with a single hook than a treble since you shouldn't see the hook in either case?

What brand and size single hook do you guys use for PB? The cheapie baitholders often seen from mustad are heavy, too heavy to even float PB in some cases, so there must be another brand that works better for floating the bait.

Also - if we're talking about a better chance of hooking a fish, a treble is better than a single yes? I mean, you only need one of the three to stick, not all of them.....so if both types are equally as sharp, the more points the better I would think.

Respectfully,
Smitty

mullet
01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I didn't expect it but there are some interesting differences of opinions on this subject...good stuff for sure.

Great points about a single being easier on the fish to pass....and being cheaper....both important factors!

A few questions...

How is the same glob of dough bait more stealthy with a single hook than a treble since you shouldn't see the hook in either case?

What brand and size single hook do you guys use for PB? The cheapie baitholders often seen from mustad are heavy, too heavy to even float PB in some cases, so there must be another brand that works better for floating the bait.

Also - if we're talking about a better chance of hooking a fish, a treble is better than a single yes? I mean, you only need one of the three to stick, not all of them.....so if both types are equally as sharp, the more points the better I would think.

Respectfully,
Smitty

Not sure of the model # but it is a bronze hook shaped pretty much like an egg hook.
Its more stealthy because when they bite there is last steel for them to feel,
especially when they are biting lite.
I do a lot of saltwater fishing,
for years guys on the salt have swapped out trebles for singles on jigs.
The idea is it takes way less pressure to sink one point then three.
This is another beneifit in a lite bite,you don't have to set
they will do it for you.
JMHO,Mike

asmacsbob
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
face it...when you are fishing with power or dough bait you are going to catch stocked fish....dont matter what hatchery they came from...its just a matter of if the fish is going to come by and eat your bait.....hooks dont matter up to a point(not a pun)....when you get into fish that have been bred in the body of water that you are fishing is when you worry about hiding hooks and such

mullet
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
face it...when you are fishing with power or dough bait you are going to catch stocked fish....dont matter what hatchery they came from...its just a matter of if the fish is going to come by and eat your bait.....hooks dont matter up to a point(not a pun)....when you get into fish that have been bred in the body of water that you are fishing is when you worry about hiding hooks and such

Stockers ,holdovers or natives ,
it's all about getting bit more.
Mike

Big Country
01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Single hook for me #10 but it is because I fish gulp eggs or other pre-formed overpriced conconctions as opposed to the stuff you have to dig out and roll with your fingers.

I found that if I use the dough bait and have to pull it out and roll it onto a treble hook, it messes up the taste of my dip every time I try to put one in my lip. Nothing worse than snapping a fresh tin of Kodiak only to get the wiff of garlic cheese as I pack it in.

That's just me though.

Also, if I want to switch from dough bait to a night crawler, I don't have to change my hook set-up at all. I don't fish crawlers with a treble hook.

asmacsbob
01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
try a crawler installer (if you havnt )with a single hook...maks the worm more like a rubber worm...lasts forever

Trout Seeker
01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
What is a crawler installer???

asmacsbob
01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
might be under a different name....its a 5" thin brass tube with a wood handle....you thread the crawler all the way onto it...then hook your hook onto the end and work the crawler back up the line with the barbed hook out the end....no way for a fish to nobble it off and it wont ball up...really good in a river or slow retrieve in a lake...you can get them at a k-mart or most tackle shops...culvers in bishop has em

Mondo21
01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
18' treble. Cindy:Big Grin:

Sierra_Smitty
01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
What is a crawler installer???

Commonly sold under the name "worm threader"