PDA

View Full Version : Tradition - Great Bass Fishing 1/8/10

Jackpot Jimmy
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
With my dad not feeling so great, I got picked up by our good friend Ray, and we drove down to Redondo and arrived just after 5 o’clock. Steven gave the “okay” to sell tickets shortly before six, and we went over to the boat, boarded, and headed on out with six anglers. Our bait of choice was fresh frozen squid that looked to be of the best quality. We were treated to a pretty cool sunrise (pictured below) on the way up the coast, and I thought to myself of the old saying, “Red sky in morning, sailors take warning,” but there was not a breath of wind and no swell to speak of. Soon, we arrived at the fishing grounds, and had at it.

The rock was very easy to locate at the first spot. They weren’t too eager, but if you put a little finesse into it, you got a couple bites. Soon after, we made a move out a little bit deeper. We immediately started chipping away at the bass at the next one, but we swung away from it. I managed to locate a second rock up the side, and if you casted on the other side of it and slowly dragged it over the top of the rock, it was pretty instant. They definitely wanted to go at that spot, but we soon found out that while most of the bites felt solid, they were very finicky with the bait. However, we worked at it and picked a few off of it. We got tons of bites, and there were a lot of calico bass suspended off the bottom. Most of them were short, but there were a few legals caught in that variety.

We hit a couple more spots the rest of the day, and it seemed that if you were fishing at an angle relative to the rock while dragging it slowly, you got bit. Sometimes, the bass would want the bait perfectly still – dead sticking the bait. You just had to change it up a little bit to see what worked the best. I also brought up a couple of mogambos with the tails missing – the sign of a triggerfish bite. We continued to catch more bass, and ended up with a little better than seven around for the day. It was a little frustrating, but it is always fun. The bass definitely showed potential today. Jackpot went to Tradition regular Chak Chie with a nice big sand bass. Great times, great fishing!

This picture doesn’t do the sunrise justice, but it was pretty nice.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-36.jpg

Nice Bass
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-37.jpg

This couple came out fishing today, and with a little coaching, they caught quite a few bass.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-38.jpg

lingcod sierra
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
nice report jimmy see u next saturday

troutdog
01-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice way to spend the day playin hookie, wtg Jimmy....

TD

ghetto dad
01-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Nice report kid....ure killing me over here......

GD

hbomb
01-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice detailed report Jimmy, hey what happened, no pic of carlos up in da mix lolll...:Cool:

murrieta angler
01-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Good job out there Jimmy. If I could ask a question? What size leadheads are you using to catch the bass? Thanks, Robert

fishking
01-13-2010, 08:54 AM
We use 1 1/2oz bullet heads.. Sometimes 2oz if current is really bad.

JapanRon
01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

As always .... great report. Interesting on the Trigger Fish thing. Hummm plastics only purist rules dictate .... NO STINGER OR TRAP HOOK RIGS but I would be tempted ! ha ha ha

Got lots of yardsale junk rubber and messed-up leadheads I can sacrafice to the reef gods !! Be out and over there soon !! Rained out today .... week-end looks bad too !!

Thanks,

JapanRon

murrieta angler
01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
We use 1 1/2oz bullet heads.. Sometimes 2oz if current is really bad.

Thanks Fishking..:Smile: