PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 1/7 - Terrible Fishing from Shore

Fire Ball
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Yesterday I went to Castaic Lagoon with Robo Bass and one other friend. Robo Bass and I wanted to help our friend catch his first bass so we had to fish from shore since he doesn't have a tube. I would have much preferred fishing from my tube! We got there at about 7:00 am and left at about 7:00 pm! We REALLY wanted to beat the skunk. I was throwing practically everything I had in my tackle box in a couple of my favorite spots for nothing, but Robo Bass and my other friend like the pier a lot (I hate the pier for bass!!!) so we stayed there for a longer than I wanted to... I would have like to try a couple other spots, but we wasted most of our time on the pier. Yesterday was THE WORST day of fishing I have had in months! The Lagoon is doing terrible from shore right now. If you are going to fish from a boat at the Lagoon right now, live crawdads are the ticket! We saw some guys catching a LOT of bass on them yesterday. All in all, I realized that I WILL NOT fish from shore at the Lagoon for the remainder of winter. I will stick to my tube and hopefully catch some nice bass. I wish spring was here already!

sawoobley
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear the report. I was thinking of heading out there tomorrow but will not until I get a float tube and waders. I guess I stay local. I read that the upper lake is struggling now but the lagoon is doing fine. Unfortunately the upper lake is suppose to be better for shore fishing. Below I pasted a fishing report from the Castaic lake website.

Castaic Lake
FISHING REPORT
WEEK ENDING 01/02/2010
WATER TEMP: Low to high 50’s
*LOWER LAKE* Trout Plant: 12/28/2009 Approx. 450 lbs
*UPPER LAKE* Trout Plant: 12/28/2009 Approx. 450 lbs
At the beginning of last week the fishing had just shut off
until about Wednesday. After the small storm had come
through then the small schools of stripers started to bite
again but the mid range stripers were still very hard to bring
to the surface. Thru the rest of the week the stripers really
didn’t seem to get much better. This goes for the largemouth
bite as well, this is unfortunate but for the past week we
have been a big slump. Some stripers are biting from the
shore in government cove, and it seems to be more of a cut
bait bite on sardines and night crawlers. People have been
throwing all kinds of baits at these fish and the fishing is just
nowhere near what it has been in recent months. The water
level is a big contributing factor to why the fishing has been
hit really hard. From late November through the New Year
the water level rose 29 feet and plans to keep going up. This
is good for our water supply but the fishing is just going to
become just a little bit more harder, but we will bounce back
from this and have a full lake again The lagoon fishing hasn’t
really been effected by this the water level is a full pool now
and the trout, large mouth, and panfish are all biting well.
They have biting on an array of baits from plastics to
swimbaits to live bait. The fishing down at the lagoon seems
to still be doing great all day and night .
Whopper of the Week

Fire Ball
01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
The upper lake has been doing great for stripers, but not largemouth. Lagoon from shore has not been doing well, but it should be a lot better from a boat or float tube.

Ray Lopez
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
hey robo never fish the pier for bass they might come but it is a not a good spot at all. Better for trout for sure lol.

But if you fish the shore work the northern stretch right around that one main point. There is a good slopping drop off with minimal weed growth. Also in between the 3rd and 4th small spill ways is also a decent area for bass tho it is typically weedy there but the bass are deeper then the weeds at the moment. Also right at the point if you can cast about 50 to 80 feet you might be able to hit the old creek bed that runs thru the lagoon. I have seen some whoppers get pulled out of there b-4.

Fire Ball
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
hey robo never fish the pier for bass they might come but it is a not a good spot at all. Better for trout for sure lol.

But if you fish the shore work the northern stretch right around that one main point. There is a good slopping drop off with minimal weed growth. Also in between the 3rd and 4th small spill ways is also a decent area for bass tho it is typically weedy there but the bass are deeper then the weeds at the moment. Also right at the point if you can cast about 50 to 80 feet you might be able to hit the old creek bed that runs thru the lagoon. I have seen some whoppers get pulled out of there b-4.

Thank for telling Robo to not fish the pier for bass! I can see you hate it as much as I do!

As for the other info you told us, I already knew all of it except the old creek bed from fishing the Lagoon since summer. I am going to take my tube out for the rest of the winter. No shore for me! Thanks.